Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Angry Diplomat posted:

I hate that mutation. Its mechanical effects are actually really nice, but the obnoxious visual clutter - and the fact that the slime can conceal items and terrain features! - are just unbearable. That's one of the very few situations where I'll fire up debug mode and cheat something out without feeling bad about it. It's easy enough to irradiate myself a bit so I get a different, less maliciously annoying random mutation.

Carry a mop? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah... I think I might've gone overboard with the solar panels, in retrospect...

Edit: Wait I still have a steel plating there? That'll be fixed soon enough.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 23, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What is this tileset and is it possible to switch tilesets in a save game without borking things?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Moridin920 posted:

What is this tileset and is it possible to switch tilesets in a save game without borking things?

Looks like ChestHole although a couple tilesets share the same terrain tiles. And yes, it's not tied to your save in any way, so if it's not ChestHole then just cycle through them till you find it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cool thanks

President Ark posted:

The problem is if you aren't careful about how you get zombies out of a building they (especially the big ones) will kool-aid man right through walls.

Also someone mentioned earlier how it was dumb that a brute can hulk you through the plate glass but can't break out of it themselves, and so I ignored the brute in containment in a lab I was exploring.

Next thing I know a brute is running down the hall from that room at me and sends me flying. :argh:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

It's labeled as MShock32Modded for me. I've never used Chesthole iirc.

There's a possible interesting place at the end of this road I'm on, but a giant ant hive is in the way. I think I might feel kinda bad plowing through so many ants if only because it would be such a massive waste of food/meat and ingredients. Do you guys have any such qualms? If so, do you just try to go around or something? Or do most people just not care about meat rotting and stuff from corpses they just run over/shoot incidentally.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Animals respawn, and so do monsters as long as you don't kill the boss, so not really. Also once you find a Recycler Unit you only need like one cooked meat or equivalent to sustain you for a day so it's kind of hard to care any more.

On the other hand I agonize over whether to make five runs lugging bleach and ammonia back to the car every time I raid a lab or just beelining for the finale, so the sentiment still exists in some form. :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Ha-HA! gently caress you, Shoggoth! Even horrible abominations from beyond the veil aren't any match for high-powered plasma weapons. :smugwizard:

...unfortunately, neither was the lab, apparently. I died to hubris as my high-powered assault started a massive fire and the building collapsed from being blown up with enough force to facemelt a Shoggoth, repeatedly burying me under rubble with a huge conflagration raging out of all control. :suicide101:

Had I recognized what was happening a turn sooner, I might JUST have been able to escape the destruction and explosions and fire action-movie style, but it was not to be. RIP probably the only good character I'll have.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dying just means another chance to more thoroughly optimize your character next game.

... at least until you get to the point I'm at, because I think I've broken the game as hard as it can be broke. When this character dies I'm probably gonna start thinking about gimmick runs or deliberately using weaker/more self-destructive mutation trees.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Moridin920 posted:

Cool thanks

Also someone mentioned earlier how it was dumb that a brute can hulk you through the plate glass but can't break out of it themselves, and so I ignored the brute in containment in a lab I was exploring.

Next thing I know a brute is running down the hall from that room at me and sends me flying. :argh:

Gotcha!

Also oh god I'm sorry I hope you didn't die. Last time it came up I waited around for a few hours of it smashing against the glass and it never got out :shrug:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

I should really reinstall my dome light. Can't quite figure out what parts I need to make one though.

Dome lights are built into controls.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

President Ark posted:

The problem is if you aren't careful about how you get zombies out of a building they (especially the big ones) will kool-aid man right through walls.

If you're far enough back from the doorway I fail to see how this is a problem! :v:

Alternately, just burn the loving house down.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I wish there was a simpler way to make them though. I want a little crafting light but my verisimilitude sense gets cranky about the steering wheel in the middle of my RV.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Funk posted:

Gotcha!

Also oh god I'm sorry I hope you didn't die. Last time it came up I waited around for a few hours of it smashing against the glass and it never got out :shrug:

Nah my armor absorbed the damage and I shot it a bunch of times before it could hit me again. It was surprising though!

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

I wish there was a simpler way to make them though. I want a little crafting light but my verisimilitude sense gets cranky about the steering wheel in the middle of my RV.

Put a headlight inside and point it towards your crafting bunk. Or shove an atomic lamp in there somewhere.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Coolguye posted:

If you're far enough back from the doorway I fail to see how this is a problem! :v:

Alternately, just burn the loving house down.

Well, the question was originally about whether or not the roof collapsing would destroy the loot in the building, so...

Xand_Man posted:

If you have any aisles in your car, you can replace them with aisles with built-in lights with wired plating/frames/whatever the hell normal aisles are made from but with "wired" at the start. If you can't make that, you can rip them out of (world-spawned) RVs 4 at a time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The roof really should not collapse from a wall or two coming down, especially in the case of a large structure like a mansion, which also has a ton of redundant walls.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I expect the area around that lab to be a giant hole in the ground that I can just jump down into at this point. I was crushed to death by multiple chain-collapses plinking away my health.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The problem with lighted aisles is they aren't cargo spaces. :colbert:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is there anything interesting in prisoner containment? Or is it just a bunch of zombies?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Artificer posted:

Is there anything interesting in prisoner containment? Or is it just a bunch of zombies?

Found a survivor in a lab's prisoner containment once.

Stupid motherfucker pulled out a .22, little did he know I had a loaded 12 gauge

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

Found a survivor in a lab's prisoner containment once.

Stupid motherfucker pulled out a .22, little did he know I had a loaded 12 gauge

lol. I love how this game just naturally turns you into Easy-E with less blood parasites.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Artificer posted:

There's a guaranteed drugs/medicine spawn, but you don't have to hack the doors open to get it.

Sometimes a Zombie Scientist spawns behind the locked doors, though, so it can be worth checking if you're hard up for bionics or just want more power CBMs.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Confession time: I usually don't mess around with guns. I either use bows or carry pneumatic weapons because I hate the idea of ammo being a scarce resource.

That changes today. I've got pretty much all of the gun mods, a FOODCO reloading station with thousands of rounds of ammunition and assorted parts and a desire to murder loving everything without carrying 20lbs of metal arrows or plinking at them with rocks or ball bearings.

So... what guns should I use?

My current loadout is a flare gun, Colt revolver and a sawed off doublebarrel in holsters. I haven't found a UPS bionic mod yet so I'm avoiding the energy weapons for now.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo loving labs can be huge. Ugh. And agonizing to go through. I'm just going to hit the barracks and the prisoner containment areas and the finale and go home. gently caress searching room by room for poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cataclysm's gun stats are obnoxiously split across the weapon and the ammo, meaning that a lot of the weapons with seemingly very low dispersion are actually pretty inaccurate with rounds they can actually fire. Find something that uses 7.62x51mm, and stick gun mods on it until the weapon's dispersion is down to zero (and recoil hopefully to some large negative number) and you should be in good shape.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cataclysm's gun stats are obnoxiously split across the weapon and the ammo, meaning that a lot of the weapons with seemingly very low dispersion are actually pretty inaccurate with rounds they can actually fire. Find something that uses 7.62x51mm, and stick gun mods on it until the weapon's dispersion is down to zero (and recoil hopefully to some large negative number) and you should be in good shape.

Shotguns also own for burst damage even if you have 0 training. Shotgun crits with 00 or slugs can instakill nearly anything.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Xand_Man posted:

Confession time: I usually don't mess around with guns. I either use bows or carry pneumatic weapons because I hate the idea of ammo being a scarce resource.

That changes today. I've got pretty much all of the gun mods, a FOODCO reloading station with thousands of rounds of ammunition and assorted parts and a desire to murder loving everything without carrying 20lbs of metal arrows or plinking at them with rocks or ball bearings.

So... what guns should I use?

My current loadout is a flare gun, Colt revolver and a sawed off doublebarrel in holsters. I haven't found a UPS bionic mod yet so I'm avoiding the energy weapons for now.

I'd go for something with some range to it since you have everything else covered it seems. Something along the lines of a sniper, hunting rifle, assault rifle, or carbine then mod the hell out of it. Put a shoulder strap on it to keep it out of your way while your looting. You may need to take it off and put it in your pack if you get into a serious melee, but from the looks of your horde you probably have decent enough stats that it won't be a huge issue.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I don't suppose energy weapons can spawn in lab barracks? I haven't had any luck so far.

Also I can't remember the location of the stairs up. Goddammit.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Artificer posted:

I don't suppose energy weapons can spawn in lab barracks? I haven't had any luck so far.

I think they can, though they'll be rare.

There's an option to automatically mark stairs up/down with a note on the map, turning that on might help you find them. Otherwise, I think you can escape with the debug menu.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Artificer posted:

Look on the overmap. Go up one level. Downstairs are located in lab squares that have a dark blue L (instead of light blue). There are up stairs on the same lab square as the dark blue L, but on the level below that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

esquilax posted:

Look on the overmap. Go up one level. Downstairs are located in lab squares that have a dark blue L (instead of light blue). There are up stairs on the same lab square, but on the level below that.

Got it. Made it out. Phew. Didn't find any laser weapons or lightning CBM but that's fine. I found a CVD machine. Gonna need to hunt down some hydrogen. I found some in the barracks but it wasn't enough.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Artificer posted:

Got it. Made it out. Phew. Didn't find any laser weapons or lightning CBM but that's fine. I found a CVD machine. Gonna need to hunt down some hydrogen. I found some in the barracks but it wasn't enough.

In the future, you can press N on the map to leave a note where the stairs are.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, that's a good idea.

In other news, wow rapier with fencing is really really fun.

Edit: And giant lab complexes can be fun maybe but that last one was awful. So many rooms. So easy to get lost in. And the barracks didn't even have any good loot in them! At least I found a CVD device there.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 24, 2015

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

President Ark posted:

In the future, you can press N on the map to leave a note where the stairs are.

There's also an option to do that automatically, it's pretty drat useful. Marks houses with basements and so on too!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

M.Ciaster posted:

There's also an option to do that automatically, it's pretty drat useful. Marks houses with basements and so on too!

Wait, where?

Also, I sort of want to make a Vortex Generator for More Power to my car. I'm heading into a mine. Without spoiling what's in there, what sort of equipment should I bring? Do I need a jackhammer to mine things?

Edit: What....the...gently caress? The human snails are creepy as gently caress. Where is the spiral cavern from?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 24, 2015

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Artificer posted:

Wait, where?

Also, I sort of want to make a Vortex Generator for More Power to my car. I'm heading into a mine. Without spoiling what's in there, what sort of equipment should I bring? Do I need a jackhammer to mine things?

Edit: What....the...gently caress? The human snails are creepy as gently caress. Where is the spiral cavern from?

Options>General>Auto Notes. Hella useful. They don't seem to recreate themselves after you delete them, either, so if you don't wanna deal with a shitload of flashing >s on your map after you're finished with looting a town you can just get rid of 'em all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Artificer posted:

Wait, where?

At least two of the mine events are from the works of Junji Ito, a horror manga author.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Between labs and the mines, this game has some freaky rear end poo poo.

I want to just find a nice sunny place with flowers or something and just chill for a while. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there anything interesting (or destructive) I can do to these Tears in Reality, or should I just put a big DON'T COME THIS WAY mark on my map and never return?

Stupid flaming eyes lasering all my irreplaceable solar panels.