Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Thank you for not actually quoting a Toxxucupation post so I don't have to see it.

computer parts posted:

The only real issue with Season 1 is the flub of the last ~5 minutes or so (post Amon reveal), but that could have easily been executed better. Everything else was nerd projection of the same variety as the Cthulu stuff in True Detective. Season 2 was again people being mad that the bad guy was clearly the bad guy, and sub-par animation for the first half didn't help.

Also, as (sorta) mentioned above Season 3 of the original series was also flubbed about as badly. Really I think the only parts people liked about the original series were Zuko, and without a similar sort of "Bad guy who turns good but not really(?)" character then fans' expectations would never be met.

I don't think that interpretation is true at all; for starters Sokka and Iroh are the best characters.

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Was never really a big Zuko fan. I mean his story arc was cool and all but he wasn't the reason I watched the show. In fact, LOk seemed to up the elements that were present in Zuko's story which made a lot of the relationship stuff more melodramatic than it needed to be. That combined with the technologic and time jump ended up making the world less foreign and mystical and more dull.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Was never really a big Zuko fan. I mean his story arc was cool and all but he wasn't the reason I watched the show. In fact, LOk seemed to up the elements that were present in Zuko's story which made a lot of the relationship stuff more melodramatic than it needed to be. That combined with the technologic and time jump ended up making the world less foreign and mystical and more dull.

I agree, the world just wasn't as interesting with all the technology and the setting basically being modern times with old timey flair (and zeppelins for some reason, was it supposed to be steampunk?).

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Thanks thread, I'm now very, very happy that I've never watched Airbender or Kora.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

uncleKitchener posted:

Has there been any reveal as to why LOK ended up half good half bad throughout the years? Some people blame Nick while others say the creators also didn't press all the right buttons the whole time.

I really wanted LOK to be the next ATLA but it was a mixed bag the more I watch it.

Calling Korra "half" good is being mighty generous.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mycot posted:

I don't think that interpretation is true at all; for starters Sokka and Iroh are the best characters.

Iroh is basically Zuko as an old man/after his turn to good. I'm actually very glad that they managed to differentiate him in Korra.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

raditts posted:

Calling Korra "half" good is being mighty generous.

Parts were good. Parts were bad. I don't know if they can be represented on a scale, but it's balanced while leaning a bit towards bad.

Okay, team Avatar this time around only had good character (Asami), but the villians with exception of S2 bad guy were pretty cool dudes. The rest of the cast with the exception of the old timers were hit and miss.

It was pretty too. I like looking at this show most of the time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It was also a paean to the liberal-capitalist establishment.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

Thanks thread, I'm now very, very happy that I've never watched Airbender or Kora.

No, no, you should watch Airbender because it's good, then promptly ignore the fact that a sequel series exists. Or watch Korra if you like arguing on the internet.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

TwoPair posted:

No, no, you should watch Airbender because it's good, then promptly ignore the fact that a sequel series exists. Or watch Korra if you like arguing on the internet.

Also, there is no movie, live action or otherwise.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rassle posted:

Also, there is no movie, live action or otherwise.

I still can't believe how terrible the bending looked, a bunch of guys start dancing and a rock floats in from off screen... wtf...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Both AtLA and Korra had the runtime and the tone to make the serious points, like climactic fights and big dramatic moments feel really enjoyable to watch and have a lot of weight to them, but in my opinion they were both kinda weak when they weren't doing those things, especially in a post-Adventure Time space where there's kids shows handling character and humour better than either Avatar series ever did. The format let it have some really strong moments, like how Zuko has several seasons worth of buildup before he finally gets to his big dramatic character scenes of cutting loose and getting over his abusive family, and none of the current animated shows really do a continuous storyline that will let them do quite the same thing. Even Steven Universe I'm not sure if they'd be able to do that with quite the same impact, since there's a much heavier focus on standalone episodes and the episodes themselves are shorter.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxxupation posted:

Also the realization is that ATLA was never really that good in the first place, with stuff like Aang meeting a magical frog who allows him to bypass the whole moral conundrum of "should i kill, even when it's justified? even when if i don't then everyone will die because the person I'm fighting has no morals to appeal to?"

energy bending was loving stupid and a loving stupid concept to even play with in the first place because ATLA is a show for kids and they'd never actually show the main character murdering the main antagonist in cold blood, but built the entirety of season 3 around having aang have this deep-seated moral conundrum which the show then completely cheapened by instituting a magical loving frog that magically gave aang a pacifistic option that solved everything

like, the show couldn't and shouldn't have ended with aang killing the fire emperor, but it also should've recognized that by storytelling instead of setting up a binary "either aang kills the emperor or the emperor destroys the world! which is which?! OH WAIT NEVER MIND HERE'S A THIRD OPTION THAT MAGICALLY SOLVES EVERYTHING" been more flexible, you can't set up an "Either A or B Has to Happen" series climax then go "well, actually, C happened", it's poo poo storytelling

there's also stuff like season 3 introducing that aang can't fall in love and keep his avatar powers, emphasizing the theme of self-sacrifice the murder moral conundrum exemplified (what is aang willing to do to stop evil? kill and give up the love of his life?) and then the show inexplicably pairing up aang and katara anyways literally just to please the shippers, ATLA sold out its stakes every step of the way in the final season

korra took all of those problems and exemplified it, and it's why it's so poo poo, it was based on a universe that already sold out its own narrative just, well, just cause and pulled the same narrative tricks over and over and over and over again

dude this is a kid's show

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
ATLA is a season and a half of good TV buried in three seasons of decent Americanime. Now that every other cartoon in production is full of serial storylines and grimdark villains it's not nearly as mind-blowing as it was 10 years ago.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ElCondemn posted:

But they did a terrible job of indulging fans, the show begins with every rando on the street being able to metal bend, use lightning, and blood bend. Weren't these techniques established as super difficult in ATLA? But now they're super common, they lose their impact because of that.

I wasn't a fan of Korra, but I find this criticism a bit odd. Almost everything that's at one point difficult becomes easier as time goes on. For instance, due to nutrition and better training methods, our best athletes today are physically far superior to those even 30,50,100 years ago, doing feats that would have been "very difficut" then much more easily. I don't find it hard to believe that with Toph founding a special school and teaching people metal bending that it would still be as rare over half a century later. Bloodbending is maybe a bit different because it was a secret forbidden technique, but the rest I think can be put down to things like better nutrition, more experienced bending instructors, more cultural awareness of these techniques, and so on.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 24, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I think having secondary bending techniques be common in LoK was actually pretty predictable and good fanservice. Were people really watching and going "Hmm...this magic martial art has no impact anymore" as opposed to "gently caress, metalbending is cool!"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jsor posted:

I wasn't a fan of Korra, but I find this criticism a bit odd. Almost everything that's at one point difficult becomes easier as time goes on. For instance, due to nutrition, our best athletes today are physically far superior to those even 30,50,100 years ago, doing feats that would have been "very difficut" then much more easily. I don't find it hard to believe that with Toph founding a special school and teaching people metal bending that it would still be as rare over half a century later. Bloodbending is maybe a bit different because it was a secret forbidden technique, but the rest I think can be put down to things like better nutrition, more experienced bending instructors, more cultural awareness of these techniques, and so on.

I'm not talking about how reality works, I'm saying one of the cool things about ATLA was how they found new uses for bending, and one character even invented a new form of bending. In LOK everyone knows all the techniques, it's not fun or cool anymore, it's just normal to them, nobody is impressed.

As you said it's just like athletes in real life. They're faster, stronger and better than they used to be but nobody is impressed when they break a record that was set 100 years ago, it's just normal now. What I wanted was more cool and interesting ways to use bending, and for it to be impressive when they do use those new techniques.

dogsicle posted:

I think having secondary bending techniques be common in LoK was actually pretty predictable and good fanservice. Were people really watching and going "Hmm...this magic martial art has no impact anymore" as opposed to "gently caress, metalbending is cool!"

It's only cool if it's unique, would you think the force is cool in Star Wars if everyone was just force choking each other left and right? I'm just saying it lost the wow factor by becoming common.

I guess maybe it was fanservice, more of what people liked in the original, but I guess what I'm saying it was disappointing that bending is normal every day poo poo now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ElCondemn posted:

I guess maybe it was fanservice, more of what people liked in the original, but I guess what I'm saying it was disappointing that bending is normal every day poo poo now.

One of the best parts of Atla's setting was that bending was mundane and actually used in society though. None of this "Oh, this magic is too convenient and powerful to use, I will only use it in the most impractical forms possible!", people used bending to make buildings and fuel stuff because why not.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

mycot posted:

One of the best parts of Atla's setting was that bending was mundane and actually used in society though. None of this "Oh, this magic is too convenient and powerful to use, I will only use it in the most impractical forms possible!", people used bending to make buildings and fuel stuff because why not.

I don't agree, nobody could metal bend, few could use lighting, even healing with bending was novel. Sure bending is part of the universe, but there is a big difference between normal every day benders having god powers and just a few special people having them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ElCondemn posted:

I don't agree, nobody could metal bend, few could use lighting, even healing with bending was novel. Sure bending is part of the universe, but there is a big difference between normal every day benders having god powers and just a few special people having them.

Bending is god powers, even if it's just the ability to lift a rock.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

It's only cool if it's unique, would you think the force is cool in Star Wars if everyone was just force choking each other left and right? I'm just saying it lost the wow factor by becoming common.

In a sense it does lose wow factor. It just was not significant to me, and LoK also added more wow factor stuff in to compensate. Bloodbending was still rare afaik and it had the new use of blocking bending. Metalbending was common, but used by a crazy flying police corps that Spider-Man swung around and used their armor as a weapon. I honestly don't remember lightning coming up much in what of s1 I watched though. Bending was interesting because they did so much with it. Even basic bending fights/pro bending had wow factor because of the choreography and individual interpretations on "move rock/water or create fire/wind."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think it would have been very odd for technology to progress to the degree it did, but have bending stuck the way it was 75 years beforehand. If they made any correct move, I think it is that bending advanced from new discoveries and techniques from the past century. Now, I would probably agree with you if everyone could energy bend or something, but that's not the case.

Besides, I think you're overstating how common a lot of these things were. Wasn't it explicitly stated like only one in a hundred earthbenders that try actually successfully learn to metal bend?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

Bending is god powers, even if it's just the ability to lift a rock.

It's not god powers if everyone can do it, it's just normal.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

Has there been any reveal as to why LOK ended up half good half bad throughout the years? Some people blame Nick while others say the creators also didn't press all the right buttons the whole time.

I really wanted LOK to be the next ATLA but it was a mixed bag the more I watch it.

Other folks have said some good stuff, but I generally attribute it to the much larger writing team they had for ATLA. When Korra started, it was just the two show creators, and then they added in a couple more for the next few seasons. So while TLA was this big collaborative thing made with the involvement of a multitude of talented people, Korra...wasn't. And it showed. Especially when the creators shoved in stuff that they personally like that is just awful (pro-bending, playing to shippers). There was just no one in that writing room to go "hey, this sucks and makes for bad pacing, we should do some trimming." So the show felt like they were trying to condense 20-ish episodes into 12, instead of just writing for the 12.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

It's not god powers if everyone can do it, it's just normal.

Except LoK also has people who can't bend at all. Which is a more important distinction than earth vs metal bending.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

dogsicle posted:

In a sense it does lose wow factor. It just was not significant to me, and LoK also added more wow factor stuff in to compensate. Bloodbending was still rare afaik and it had the new use of blocking bending. Metalbending was common, but used by a crazy flying police corps that Spider-Man swung around and used their armor as a weapon. I honestly don't remember lightning coming up much in what of s1 I watched though. Bending was interesting because they did so much with it. Even basic bending fights/pro bending had wow factor because of the choreography and individual interpretations on "move rock/water or create fire/wind."

I found the fight scenes in ATLA way better and more interesting than any of the fights in LOK. I wouldn't be complaining if they did it better than the original, but I don't think they did. Hell, they literally made Korra a giant and she had a godzilla fight, and it was boring!

Jsor posted:

Besides, I think you're overstating how common a lot of these things were. Wasn't it explicitly stated like only one in a hundred earthbenders that try actually successfully learn to metal bend?

It doesn't matter if they say nobody but a select few can do it, everyone on screen could (except Bolin for some reason).

dogsicle posted:

Except LoK also has people who can't bend at all. Which is a more important distinction than earth vs metal bending.

I don't understand why it matters, I thought the bending was inferior in this compared to the previous series. I think it's because bending was no longer impressive, they should've figured out a way to make it interesting again instead of focusing so much on relationship drama.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 24, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was also the weird thing where the ability to use advanced bending techniques turns from the product of extensive training and enlightenment into this weird thing where it's predestined whether or not you have the innate ability? Which makes the world of LoK into even more of a weird de facto caste system than it was in season 1.

There wasn't really much dramatic weight to bending compared to AtLA. Mako can shoot lightning all day, but it's never relevant to the story. Korra learned to metalbend like it was nothing. Bolin had some trouble with it, but then it just turned out he was destined to bend lava instead, and it's over like that. Season 3 had a random pack of villains with gimmicky superpowers, but there's never really any introspection into why they have the powers they do, they're just some dudes. I think there's about two times in the entire series when people actually have to struggle and put both physical and mental effort into attaining their powers, and that was Korra with airbending and Zahir with his goofy flight. In AtLA, everybody has to train and re-train constantly in order to do the things they do, and not just train, but look within themselves and really think about what they're doing in order to accomplish things.

That's really the problem a lot of the Legend of Korra has: no real dramatic weight. Like how so much screen time is given to pro-bending, only for it to remain pointless and be forgotten by the end of the season, or how the arguments of every season's villain fall upon deaf ears and are forgotten.

Also the idea that ""oh no, now you can't metalbend because it turns out platinum is unbendable" is patently ridiculous.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was also the weird thing where the ability to use advanced bending techniques turns from the product of extensive training and enlightenment into this weird thing where it's predestined whether or not you have the innate ability?

It's exactly the same logic behind Combustion Man.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

It's exactly the same logic behind Combustion Man.

Did they ever explain why he can do what he does?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I thought the extensive metalbending and so forth was a good nod towards the whole March of Progress thing Korra had going on. What was once truly exceptional in one age becomes commonplace in a later time, and so forth. :kiddo:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Anyone else here excited about that Digimon movie trilogy that's a sequel to the original series?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Clarence has something similar, with a father figure who's obviously descended from Homer Simpson who is a believable loser, but he's emotionally real and motivated by love for Clarence and his mom--and in a reversal of the Simpsons parent-child dynamic, Clarence idolizes him and has no idea that he's in any way deficient as a father-figure or an adult.
Clarence is an oblivious kid in general. I thought that Caveman Dad was actually Clarence's dad, but in the episode where his grandma (Clarence's mom's mom) comes over, she says that he's just her live-in boyfriend and that Clarence's actual dad left her. There was also a gay male couple in one episode that was supposed to kiss each other on the lips, but Cartoon Network wouldn't allow it, so they settled for a kiss on the cheek. If you think that all TV shows need to be approved of politically, Clarence is as good as it gets.

Did anyone see the final episode of Phineas and Ferb? The AV Club review said it was disappointing because it left so many questions unanswered. Maybe if there was a one-week episode bomb like Cartoon Network did with Adventure Time and Steven Universe (and are currently doing with Regular Show), they wouldn't have had this problem. But we all know how bad Disney is with show scheduling- even Phineas and Ferb got screwed over in its last couple of years. The second-to-last episode was good, mostly for the mid-life crisis B-plot. Wrapping up the Phineas/Isabella love story was obvious fanservice, but it was cute all the same.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The spread of once-exclusionary knowledge is one of my favorite things about Korra's world! I think it really fits in with the theme of their world becoming more and more globalized, and while the show had problems, I don't think any of them stemmed from that.

Anyway, I get the feeling goons are confusing the quality of the show with the quality of the thread about the show. Apart from the Mako stuff, everyone was pretty positive about season 1 until the bad season finale. Season 2 at least had that Wan two-parter going for it, and as I recall, the Korra thread was pretty upbeat about the quality of seasons 3 and 4. That's a better track record than many shows.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Argue posted:

The spread of once-exclusionary knowledge is one of my favorite things about Korra's world! I think it really fits in with the theme of their world becoming more and more globalized, and while the show had problems, I don't think any of them stemmed from that.

Anyway, I get the feeling goons are confusing the quality of the show with the quality of the thread about the show. Apart from the Mako stuff, everyone was pretty positive about season 1 until the bad season finale. Season 2 at least had that Wan two-parter going for it, and as I recall, the Korra thread was pretty upbeat about the quality of seasons 3 and 4. That's a better track record than many shows.

I didn't hate LoK, I just enjoyed it a lot less than the first series. I'd agree that by the end it became better, it almost lost me after season 2.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
for me besides the overabundance of melodrama, the main thing I didn't like about most of LoK was that the Bending combat was mostly mediocre compared to ATLA for almost the entire show, still the show had it's moments, including having some very good villains(ignoring Season 2), the Wan 2 parter, and the Series Finale was actually pretty great even if they stretched out taking down the giant robot a bit too long

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Argue posted:

This is how I feel regarding the quality of the show. It was good for the most part, though the pacing was off in many places and sometimes things were resolved too quickly because of bad pacing.

Everyone knows Full Metal Alchemist and ATLA are better alternatives, but Korra was decent too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

Anyone else here excited about that Digimon movie trilogy that's a sequel to the original series?

Whoa whoa hold the phone. I hadn't heard about that at all and I am now way more excited than I reasonably should be.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Whoa whoa hold the phone. I hadn't heard about that at all and I am now way more excited than I reasonably should be.

A quick google search just shows me this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Y-Hat posted:

Clarence is an oblivious kid in general. I thought that Caveman Dad was actually Clarence's dad, but in the episode where his grandma (Clarence's mom's mom) comes over, she says that he's just her live-in boyfriend and that Clarence's actual dad left her. There was also a gay male couple in one episode that was supposed to kiss each other on the lips, but Cartoon Network wouldn't allow it, so they settled for a kiss on the cheek. If you think that all TV shows need to be approved of politically, Clarence is as good as it gets.

Did anyone see the final episode of Phineas and Ferb? The AV Club review said it was disappointing because it left so many questions unanswered.

One of Clarence's main friends, Jeff, has two mothers too. For all legal stuff CN has them as "two females who live together and are both the legal guardians of Jeff" to be vague enough for countries where it's actually illegal to depict homosexual relationships, but the "sub"text is clear enough. Clarence is pretty fun.

What the hell kind of questions does Phineas and Ferb have to leave unanswered? I only gave the show a few watches here and there in the last few seasons but did it suddenly grow lore out of nowhere or something?

On Korra: I liked it a lot, Book 3 was to LoK what Book 2 was to ATLA: a peak in quality the show would never reach again. Last book was pretty good too, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

iirc it was originally going to be a new tv series (which would already be airing). The bait and switch has kinda soured me on it.