Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Autonomous Monster posted:

If you're super salty about province borders, you could always try the Data Driven Map mod.

I don't think it changes anything but the province borders, and yes, it puts Pest on the Danube.

I'm a bit wary of map altering mods, since the Lux Invicta one turned Lahur, which used to be the best Duchy, into garbage territory.

Seriously, you get enough holdings in that one duchy to meet the territory requirement for a custom Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Republics are awesome. Go play a republic.

I tried a Muslim Republic once I established Shia Caliphate. But I could only build two trade posts and did not seem to have the capital building that I expected (the special one for republics).

Any ideas on what I am missing?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jethro_E7 posted:

I tried a Muslim Republic once I established Shia Caliphate. But I could only build two trade posts and did not seem to have the capital building that I expected (the special one for republics).

Any ideas on what I am missing?

The special building isn't in the capital, it is in the republic tab. That way if you lose the Doge election and so lose control of the capital you don't lose your Family Palace.

Only being able to build 2 trade posts is pretty normal for a new merchant republic. To get more you need to either have a bunch of unlanded adult male family members in your court, increase the Trade Practices technology, and/or upgrade your family palace.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Edison was a dick posted:

I'm a bit wary of map altering mods, since the Lux Invicta one turned Lahur, which used to be the best Duchy, into garbage territory.

Seriously, you get enough holdings in that one duchy to meet the territory requirement for a custom Kingdom.

It doesn't alter province count, just puts them where they should actually be.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My understanding from skimming the thread is that the Data Driven mod even tries to adhere to the same adjacency rules as in the vanilla map, although it might not always get that 100%? More topological pinching and pulling rather than actual gameplay changing rearrangement. I haven't installed it myself yet or really delved in deep to check though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Marenghi posted:

Ironman is a good way to test your patience with this games random events.

Lost an heir then two kings during the course of one war. Warscore was at 94% but the second king dying meant the war ended as the claim was not inherited.
Fairly annoying as I purposely kept put other generals in charge specifically to avoid this situation. To add insult to injury the battles weren't even being lost.

Lmfao.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Silk Road dev diary

Eeeeenteresting. If the Silk Road is more moddable than EU4 trade nodes then it could well be extended into a full-blown inland trade system, and refining the old-school non-claimant adventurers into this raiding adventurer system is a much better idea.

(also, if you really look at the map SS it looks like the new provinces are just filling in some current wasteland, thank gently caress - even if the Paradox forums are flipping out because one tribe has a Chinese-sounding name.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So yes we're just expanding the map into the Tarim Basin and Siberia.

Also Anxi may be this thing. So some Chinese cameos.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Funky Valentine posted:

So yes we're just expanding the map into the Tarim Basin and Siberia.

Did anybody seriously expect a bigger map expansion? It was always clear that they would only expand a very small bit to better model the Mongols, adding China was always out of the question.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Silk Road dev diary

Eeeeenteresting. If the Silk Road is more moddable than EU4 trade nodes then it could well be extended into a full-blown inland trade system, and refining the old-school non-claimant adventurers into this raiding adventurer system is a much better idea.

(also, if you really look at the map SS it looks like the new provinces are just filling in some current wasteland, thank gently caress - even if the Paradox forums are flipping out because one tribe has a Chinese-sounding name.)

:stare:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Torrannor posted:

Did anybody seriously expect a bigger map expansion? It was always clear that they would only expand a very small bit to better model the Mongols, adding China was always out of the question.

To be fair, Groogy has said in this very thread that with the optimisation changes they're making this patch, they could add almost all of the Old World without significant slowdown.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well, drat.

Also, Chach is on the road, so appropriately starting as a Sogdian (Charlemagne Chach start, you're a tribal Zoroastrian, you have basically nothing) puts you on the Silk Road.

The raiding adventurers thing looks interesting, too.

Edit: Hm, controlling one of the routes and trying to sow conflict along the other routes so more trade flows through your territory sounds like a devious way to make a lot of money. I wonder if that's actually possible, and how well it would work if so.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 23, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh man, I'm glad I never got far with my map changes for my Rise of Islam mod since they literally did what I was going to do.

Less work for me I guess. :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I wonder if it will be possible to play as a Raiding Adventurer? Sounds like a very awesome way to start a game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

In principle, the Silk Road is an awesome mechanic, a really great addition to the game. But in practical terms, is it really necessary to buff the Abbasid clown car even more?

Also, I wonder what will count as conflict for the purpose of disturbing the Silk Road, hostile armies fighting in/besieging a province? Or will being at war be enough?

What's up with the portrait borders that indicate rank? Seems like they are overhauled to be more colourful.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Torrannor posted:

What's up with the portrait borders that indicate rank? Seems like they are overhauled to be more colourful.

They've changed them so you can easily tell who is what government type.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's probably the total value of the entire trade route, not just that node.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Torrannor posted:

Just to be clear, no, I didn't; I was thinking in terms of future expansions.

Paradox was never going to add China as a sideshow in the Mongols DLC, come on.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Aa

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I've given that a whirl and by God it feels so goddamned weird to see all the CK2 provs on a legit map projection laid out as they should.

Is that a bit of North America I see? I wonder if anyone who's used that map has thought to make a vinland mod by expanding it westward slightly.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is what I get for putting my phone in my pocket with the app still open, I guess.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wonder if it will be possible to play as a Raiding Adventurer? Sounds like a very awesome way to start a game.

I assume it will be possible using the console, the same way you can turn yourself into a rebel or adventurer already, but I doubt very much it'll be possible to start landless normally.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 23, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

There's always money in the silk stand.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
What's the best start / character if I'm looking to do a Tengri > Muslim, Mongol game?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Genghis Khan, of course! :black101:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fuligin posted:

I assume it will be possible using the console, the same way you can turn yourself into a rebel or adventurer already, but I doubt very much it'll be possible to start landless normally.

Well, I hope they do.

How cool it would be to be able to start as the chief of nomad landless band of warriors and work your way up to huge empire blob?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, I hope they do.

How cool it would be to be able to start as the chief of nomad landless band of warriors and work your way up to huge empire blob?

If they are adding this new mechanic, they are absolutely going to add at least one bookmarked character you can play as.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Any tips for getting rid of feudal dukes/kings so you can turn their duchy or kingdom into a viceroyalty? I managed to imprison the King of Georgia after his failed rebellion and I was going to strip his kingdom with my free revocation but then I realized my crown authority had been fully lowered during my regency. Am I going to have to do this through marriage or assassination? The kingdom is my biggest vassal and the opinion modifier from all my viceroyalties leads to trouble with factions.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
dear paradox,

your new forum layout loving sucks

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Silk Road dev diary

One step closer to the Late Antiquity DLC :black101::black101::black101:

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I think the addition of moddable trade routes could help make the map much interesting. It would also provide a good vector for spreading the plague. :kheldragar:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SeaTard posted:

If they are adding this new mechanic, they are absolutely going to add at least one bookmarked character you can play as.

It's gotta be Temujin. How fantastic would it be to start off as the leader of a nomadic tribe raiding some neighboring tribes and turn into the greatest conqueror in history, all within your lifetime? :allears:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm playing my first game, starting in Cornwall in 867 just to get the feel of things. I spend most of my time fighting off raiders and waiting for stuff to happen. I have a few questions:

1/ Does sending troops off to war really do nothing for you? I married into the Karlings, and they wanted me to help with a rebellion. I already knew you could accept, and just not send any troops. I sent some anyway, figuring I might get something out of it. I killed some tiny armies, I sieged a province into nothing, and my reward... was non-existant. How do I profit from these wars?

2/ Can you make different flanks in your army manually somehow? I could get two groups by merging my personal levies, and the vassal levies from the county next door. Can I split one army into three smaller bits and assign leaders?

I thought I was doing my brother a solid by arranging a marriage for him to a pretty young Italian princess. Wasn't sure how, but figured longterm we might get some benefit from marrying into that family. Only after I sent the proposal did I notice that she's a lustful glutton, that she's already pregnant, and she has an STD. Yeah... you're welcome bro.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm playing my first game, starting in Cornwall in 867 just to get the feel of things. I spend most of my time fighting off raiders and waiting for stuff to happen. I have a few questions:

1/ Does sending troops off to war really do nothing for you? I married into the Karlings, and they wanted me to help with a rebellion. I already knew you could accept, and just not send any troops. I sent some anyway, figuring I might get something out of it. I killed some tiny armies, I sieged a province into nothing, and my reward... was non-existant. How do I profit from these wars?

You gain prestige, piety (if fighting infidels), and military tech for every battle fought. If you don't need to hold off factions, levies "not dead" are actually kind of a waste, since they regenerate on their own. Might as well send them off to die!

You will not get any of the spoils negotiated at the end of the war, since you are merely an ally participant and not a belligerent - as you had no skin in the game, you risked nothing, but you will gain nothing.

EDIT : paragraph removed
e: nevermind, confused this last paragraph with EUIV

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Dallan Invictus posted:

Silk Road dev diary

Oh hey, finally a proper system for modeling the Normans.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Are the Nordic huscarl retinues worth building, or should i just spam heavy infantry and archer retinues?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I prefer the standard archer retinues to housecarls, myself.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Clanpot Shake posted:

Are the Nordic huscarl retinues worth building, or should i just spam heavy infantry and archer retinues?

I've done both and the archers do work like the huscarls never could.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The rules of thumb for retinues:

1) Do you have horse archers? If you do, spam horse archers.

2) Don't have horse archers? Just spam regular archers.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Anyone wanna tell me why Free Warrior retinues are bad?

Tryna keep myself as West African as possible minus the whole Convert to Sunni at 99% lost war score.

loving Umayyads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

Anyone wanna tell me why Free Warrior retinues are bad?

Tryna keep myself as West African as possible minus the whole Convert to Sunni at 99% lost war score.

loving Umayyads

Well they're cheap but they're also 4/5ths light infantry which are pretty useless. West Africa gets a fat buff to light infantry damage though so idk.

• Locked thread