Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They really need to finally let questlines where you become a guildmaster or boss or mayor or something actually give you the option to send other people out to do poo poo. If raiders are attacking my caravan, why can't I send one of the 200 people in my town to deal with it instead of having the most important figure in government do it by hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Listening to Mark Morgan's "Vault Archives" while I do yard work in the middle of a hyperdrought. "Beyond the Canyon" comes on so I start talking like Sulik.

"Grampybone says the bad weeds gon' take ovah this whole lawn."

Been talking like him for several days now.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

God drat that's a huge red flag, what is it with all those failed directors trying to tell their terrible emotional stories.

Also the trailer graphics look like crap, and the protagonist is still walking like he has a broom stuck up his rear end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Listening to Mark Morgan's "Vault Archives" while I do yard work in the middle of a hyperdrought. "Beyond the Canyon" comes on so I start talking like Sulik.

"Grampybone says the bad weeds gon' take ovah this whole lawn."

Been talking like him for several days now.

It's fitting that listening to Mark Morgan would cause you to start imitating someone else.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
You nerds talking about gameplay and reactivity are ignoring the important questions.

Namely, if I don't take off my wedding ring before utilizing Fisto's services, am I cheating on my dead husband?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

things I want out of FO4 modding:

dragon shouts
helicopters or whatever they were flying around in, in the demo, reskinned as dragons and also machoman randy savage
fishing and boats, so I can play Dadliest Catch: Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland Edition

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, that's basically what they did for Skyrim.

This is how basically all quests worked in Daggerfall too. Being such a huge game they could not program seperate styles of quests for Fighters Guilds from one area of the game to another individually, so they are instead more like ad-libs. The quests fill in some random details (a nearby dungeon, a loot items to find, a boss to kill, etc) and generate the quests on the fly:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Quests

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Apparently Thoward has been talking up failed quests leading to other quests--if John Fallout doesn't save Jane Fallout and John Fallout, Jr. from Dr. de Deville you'd get a revenge quest instead of a...different revenge quest I guess? I think that would be Pretty Cool if actually implemented beyond like one or two instances like Bethsoft does with all their interesting features.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wolfsheim posted:

You nerds talking about gameplay and reactivity are ignoring the important questions.

Namely, if I don't take off my wedding ring before utilizing Fisto's services, am I cheating on my dead husband?

No no, put the ring on Fisto and it'll be just like your husband was still alive!

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Back Hack posted:

Not really, if the modder or group of modders is worth they're salt, they'll keep what the PC can say restricted to basic responses like yes, no, or maybe and let the NPCs do most of the talking or they'll slice up existing PC dialog to fit whatever you want to say. There was a mod that added Joshua Graham Ulysses as a companion for the Mojave, it added a large amount of new dialog for him to say about locations by just using edit versions of what stuff he had said in Honest Heart Lonesome Road. It makes modders jobs harder when it comes to quests, but it's still doable.

E: Whoops, got the wrong character. :v:

Well that would certainly be a huge step back. Hopefully it won't turn out that way.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 23, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
They are including a text to voice system that sounds exactly like the original voice actors. Bethesda is being bought out by Google as we speak.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yaos posted:

They are including a text to voice system that sounds exactly like the original voice actors. Bethesda is being bought out by Google as we speak.

Grampybone says I already reported on this yesterday; get your own news.

--Posted from the Official Fallout 4 Pipboy App

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Grampybone says I already reported on this yesterday; get your own news.

Did I forget to mention you have to pay Bethesda a penny per word?

Rumor has it that the audio in the game won't be stored with the game but will be streamed over the Internet. To get audio you need to buy a Bethesda Audio Unlimited account subscription for $19.99 a month.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Apparently Thoward has been talking up failed quests leading to other quests--if John Fallout doesn't save Jane Fallout and John Fallout, Jr. from Dr. de Deville you'd get a revenge quest instead of a...different revenge quest I guess? I think that would be Pretty Cool if actually implemented beyond like one or two instances like Bethsoft does with all their interesting features.

He talked this up for oblivion and skyrim too and it was as impactful as you'd expect.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah if you expect anything but sweet little lies from Todd Fallout's mouth you have a very short attention span. Well, that or you're a proud member of r/fallout.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Praetorian Mage posted:

Well that would certainly be a huge step back. Hopefully it won't turn out that way.

Huge step back from what, no voice acting in 90% of mods and poo poo voice acting with no consistency in the rest?

Odobenidae posted:

Yeah if you expect anything but sweet little lies from Todd Fallout's mouth you have a very short attention span. Well, that or you're a proud member of r/fallout.

all game devs are liars. molyneux taught me well.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Huge step back from what, no voice acting in 90% of mods and poo poo voice acting with no consistency in the rest?

A step back from dialogue options more complex than "yes, no, maybe" or lines not awkwardly cobbled together from existing voice assets. I honestly don't care if a mod has voice acting or not.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 24, 2015

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

No voice acting is much preferable to bad voice acting, so yeah, a huge step back. I mean, I'll probably play with the voice on once for each sex and then turn on the inevitable de-voicing mod, but paying for a voiced protagonist was not a good expenditure of resources and it's kind of silly to pretend otherwise.

Edit:

megalodong posted:

He talked this up for oblivion and skyrim too and it was as impactful as you'd expect.

Wait, could you actually fail quests in Skyrim? After the sixth or seventh immortal questgiver I just gave up.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 24, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress all y'all. Jack is gonna own.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Odobenidae posted:

the entire "dialogue option results in completely unexpected result" thing is uncommon in practice but people apparently like the meme so it doesn't matter i guess

That radically? Sure, but constantly in Dragon Age I'd pick an answer somewhere along the lines of "I helped you out, how about a little reward..." then a scene where my character menaces a small child into giving up their pocket change ensues. The problem with summarized options is that they don't convey the tone of the following tone of the conversation, so if you're playing a good, lawful character it can be easy to pick a stealth jackass option because your options were basically just "Sure, take it" "No, I need it" or "No, I need it..." and one of them will lead you to giving away the quest reward, and one will lead to you stealing all their money.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

No voice acting is much preferable to bad voice acting, so yeah, a huge step back. I mean, I'll probably play with the voice on once for each sex and then turn on the inevitable de-voicing mod, but paying for a voiced protagonist was not a good expenditure of resources and it's kind of silly to pretend otherwise.

Yeah, this is basically where I stand. It's just a shame the voices are so (sorry about opening this can of worms:) white--it feels even more limiting than it could potentially have been. Friend of mine and I were talking about how a voice actor like Kimberly Brooks could conceivably play anyone of any race or background but white voice actors always just sound like white voice actors.

I mentioned this to Pete Hines on Twitter and got into a long discussion with randos about reverse racism (lmao) and then /r/fallout circlejerked over how I'm a SJW so hopefully y'all are a little more thoughtful than that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So other than LA Noire, could we get some concrete examples of dialogue options where the option reads one thing but the character does something completely different?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

So other than LA Noire, could we get some concrete examples of dialogue options where the option reads one thing but the character does something completely different?

Witcher 2

>Very funny

"gently caress you"

:saddowns:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Yeah, this is basically where I stand. It's just a shame the voices are so (sorry about opening this can of worms:) white--it feels even more limiting than it could potentially have been. Friend of mine and I were talking about how a voice actor like Kimberly Brooks could conceivably play anyone of any race or background but white voice actors always just sound like white voice actors.

I mentioned this to Pete Hines on Twitter and got into a long discussion with randos about reverse racism (lmao) and then /r/fallout circlejerked over how I'm a SJW so hopefully y'all are a little more thoughtful than that.

That kind of logic is funny, almost any time it crops up about how it'll be odd to play as anyone but a white guy, with an obvious white actor's voice there tends to be an inevitable flood of "Perhaps you're the racist then hmmm?" style comments everywhere I see people talking about this game.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Some guy whose name was like @TheCHillPythagoras or something was like "Racist much?" and Pete Hines faved the tweet. Where do game devs get off having such bad opinions in 2015

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
I'd rather have a non-white character speak with a white voice than listen to a white voice actor attempt not sounding white. I call it "radio-blackface."

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, don't get me wrong, that's way loving worse and profoundly gross. I just would like, like, a person of color's normal speaking voice, which is quite a bit more ambiguous in terms of who it could belong to than John Fallout's.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

Baldurs Gate had a system whereby you the player would often select your answer in standard English, but then everyone else in the game was aping theatrical Elizabethan English because of the medieval fantasy setting and there was an imagined translation that took place between the two. Kind of like the players response was only ever inside their characters head, and then they were assumed to make appropriate responses in the real world. Which was quite good because it allowed you to judge the tone of your reply well, but didn't interfere with the writers freedom to actually write well. Mind you that requires the ability to write well in the first case, which Bethesda repeatedly demonstrate they don't have.

Even then a lot of the dialogue trees ended up with only one or two outcomes, which now I think about it, isn't necessarily bad, and probably necessary from a quest design point of view. What is important is that the player can never really tell when that is going to happen. These types of systems lose their interest only when they become predictable or repetitive (in the same way that Ayelid Ruins became predictable and therefore boring.) Good writing also facilitates this by smoothing over the players disappointment that they are being railroaded through a much smaller variety of outcomes.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 24, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Some guy whose name was like @TheCHillPythagoras or something was like "Racist much?" and Pete Hines faved the tweet. Where do game devs get off having such bad opinions in 2015

Beautiful, mind linking the conversation?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

frajaq posted:

Witcher 2

>Very funny

"gently caress you"

:saddowns:

Witcher 3

"Shove [character] aside forcefully."
*Decks the dude and twists his leg hard, breaking it."

:stonk:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lord Lambeth posted:

Witcher 3

Is this real? I need to see it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Nuebot posted:

That radically? Sure, but constantly in Dragon Age I'd pick an answer somewhere along the lines of "I helped you out, how about a little reward..." then a scene where my character menaces a small child into giving up their pocket change ensues. The problem with summarized options is that they don't convey the tone of the following tone of the conversation, so if you're playing a good, lawful character it can be easy to pick a stealth jackass option because your options were basically just "Sure, take it" "No, I need it" or "No, I need it..." and one of them will lead you to giving away the quest reward, and one will lead to you stealing all their money.

The problem there is on the writers (or whatever poorly-paid sap has to write the dialog-wheel summaries), not the system itself.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Yaos posted:

Here's World Of Warcraft post Cataclysm with an almost infinite view distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTYvEBsghc

"you wouldn't be able to play the game and have it look this good on a crappy dell laptop" he cried, as the 11 year old game ground his computer to a halt

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this real? I need to see it.

Right here. Heavy spoilers for late game Witcher 3 though.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Beautiful, mind linking the conversation?

I actually do mind if only because I talk about my trash personal life on that other site but I can't stop you from searching for tweets containing "@DCDeacon" and "racist much" or anything haha

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I kind of want to remake Star Control II now, so that you can't see what you're actually saying until you choose from a list of choices.

>Sounds hard.
"Hey, space is a tough place where wimps like you eat flaming plasma death."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I kind of want to remake Star Control II now, so that you can't see what you're actually saying until you choose from a list of choices.

>Sounds hard.
"Hey, space is a tough place where wimps like you eat flaming plasma death."

I'm going to use this joke to go and tell everyone here to play the Star Control II port made by fans if they haven't played it before.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Might want to use a guide to reach the interesting bits of the game, as you might expect from a 90s game there's a fair bit of padding.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Praetorian Mage posted:

A step back from dialogue options more complex than "yes, no, maybe" or lines not awkwardly cobbled together from existing voice assets. I honestly don't care if a mod has voice acting or not.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Where does it say you have to use the voice? Most of the mods will still be silent. And if you're modding there's definitely going to be a 'mute player' mod.

Another tool for modders to use = all mods must use the voice tool apparently.

Yeah it's not a great expenditure and I don't really like it but you dudes are blowing it out of proportion.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Witcher 3

Whatever Geralt warned the dude he was going to gently caress him up at least 2x before that and he kept pushing :colbert:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 24, 2015

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

there were some good ones in curse of monkey island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^(x2)Edit: I'm not really mad about it or anything, it's kind of hard to get worked up about this stuff given that someone is basically guaranteed do a New Vegas total conversion mod (especially once they officially announce no skill points, etc.).

Hahaha, holy poo poo, I forgot about how much I hated that in Mass Effect. Spend like 20 minutes with the character creator making the best Shepard ever, then I hear this ultra-generic white guy voice coming out of him and I'm like "Nope, sorry, not buying it" and had to basically start from scratch. Sorry you got dogpiled for having a good opinion!

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 24, 2015

• Locked thread