Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I can appreciate a good rant, and I can appreciate this rant (in fact, thanks, even if you're accentuating the negative this all sounds like stuff I don't want in an Arkham game so I'll gladly skip it) but yeah, wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I can appreciate a good rant, and I can appreciate this rant (in fact, thanks, even if you're accentuating the negative this all sounds like stuff I don't want in an Arkham game so I'll gladly skip it) but yeah, wrong thread.

Yeah I adjusted, and I wish I was accentuating about the negative here. I really do. I actively fought the hell out of disliking the game but goddamn did it lose me. Goddrat did it lose me.

The environments really are phenomenal too. There are loads of lore Easter Eggs like Kord Industries and it makes me wish like hell Paul Dini didn't get bored and leave.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
It's still the wrong thread, though.

I'm playing the witcher 3 now when I get a little time for games and I really love how every single side quest I've done is story or world based. I finished one recently that was pegged as a "go clear some monsters out of my house" random quest I got off a board and then it turned into this whole big thing with a character from the previous game and multiple sections and at the very end I sat down and realised that it was just a piddly side quest. Blew my mind, because honestly I don't really care about game mechanics or graphics or loot or levelling up, all that poo poo should either enhance the story or just try to stay out of its way. So this is basically the perfect game for me

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

death .cab for qt posted:

Your favorite thing about playing a video game is that you can sit on Ikea furniture and get high?

How much did you like Inception on a scale of 1 to 1

read thread title

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Actually, on the subject of Batman, the Batmobile. It seems to be a rather major thing itself, but it's bristling with little things I love. If you can see or are near a road, you can call it in, and it just appears from round a corner or something Roach style. On the way it will usually smash a load of things and ("non-lethally" :v:) that often includes goons. It does a little electric shot I guess is supposed to knock them out, but in practice it usually just means they get run over and electrocuted.

Also if you're fighting near it there's a special takedown where Batman chucks a guy in the air and the Batmobile shoots him out of the sky. And you can pop in and out really fast, and it can switch between racing around and attack mode instantly, and it also can do that weird ram thing like in Sleeping Dogs, only it actually makes sense because of rocket booster thingies.

And that's with about half an hour of messing around with it. I hope there's other stuff later. There was something pretty great I don't want to spoil though.

Also the flying feels better and it's real tough deciding if I want to drive or fly because both methods are great.

Oh, and the goons chatting is great too. There's this one along the lines of "If you see Batman, yell and charge at him, it never fails" (it always fails).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the upgrade menu there's 10 upgrades to the car itself and like another 10 weapons.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
was Origins really buggy on release on some systems or something? people seem mad about it & consider it way worse than Asylum and City, but it played the exact same when i got around to it. or maybe it is some comic nerd thing? figured Knight is the exact same + more enemy types since that's all that's changed in the other installments.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Grandmother of Five posted:

was Origins really buggy on release on some systems or something? people seem mad about it & consider it way worse than Asylum and City, but it played the exact same when i got around to it. or maybe it is some comic nerd thing? figured Knight is the exact same + more enemy types since that's all that's changed in the other installments.

Seems like it's got a lot of issues running well on PC. Haven't checked in a few hours (nor tried the game myself yet) but there's been a great deal of graphical problems I believe.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

Game-breaking bugs, some of which I dont believe were ever patched. Also, minor ones like the grapnel boost causing your FPS to tank way worse than the other games, the lack of riddles as part of the riddler sidequest, the Joker once again being the star of the story which pissed off people who went in blind, and combat had a persistent issue with counters where, sometimes, you just got hit despite countering a move.

The worst being collectibles, like Anarky Tags and the diaries hidden in plaques, being worth jack poo poo. Also, the game advertised 8 assassins to fight, but you take out one in the intro and another in a joke fight. After that, only two other Batman villains actually got a neat bossfight and fleshed out setpiece, but both fights were blatantly reimaginings of Asylum and City boss fights.

Also, upgraded like Critical Strikes and Disarm and Destroy, series stapled and hugely important for expediting boring fights, were locked behind sidequests you might not do for a long, long time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also at one point said they would rather work on DLC than fixing bugs, so that got a lot of people mad obviously.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

Your favorite thing about playing a video game is that you can sit on Ikea furniture and get high?

How much did you like Inception on a scale of 1 to 1

It's a cop blazing up after a hard day's work. I thought it was pretty funny and small thing.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Origins was also made by a different team at a different developer while the actual dev team made Knight

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

In Metal Gear Solid 2, you can press a button while hiding in a locker to get up close to the door and take a peek out. However, if you hit this button too hard you slam into the locker door an can alert guards to your presence.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

In the first heist you do in GTAV the player thats the passenger has to play a small hacking puzzle on their phone, if your watching in first person you can see the puzzle on their phone screens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It should be noted that this rant is about around 25 minutes of game time and dramatically accentuates certain things.

McDragon posted:

Also the flying feels better and it's real tough deciding if I want to drive or fly because both methods are great.

You actually haven't gotten to the real flying upgrades yet!

Anyway, a little thing about Arkham Knight:

There are a ton of mooks who have lines of dialogue specifically designed for you to interrupt just to be an rear end in a top hat. Guys who are like "Batman isn't around. Just watch, I'll prove it. HEY BATS! See? Nothing!" All of them are positioned so you can sneak up on them and be an rear end in a top hat when ambushing them, which is extra fun.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Jun 23, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

mycot posted:

Freedom Planet is really pretty. But more importantly it's one of the only throwback platformers that has all of the little details that made older platformers enjoyable, there are so many unique animations or stage specific interactables. Like this is what you see if you grab on to a rail while still having the vehicle powerup.

Yeah I've been playing Freedom Planet and I feel like I'm 11 again. I learned a little bit about how it was made and I consider it a small miracle that it's this good.

While I recommend playing classic, I actually think the cutscenes fall into the "So Bad It's Good" category, and deserves to be seen once (though no more because ultimately they slams the otherwise excellent pacing to a crawl).

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Dragon Age: Inquistion has a sort of side quest where you, being the Prophet King of a small army, get to judge some characters after big missions much like a king would. You sit on your throne and hear their defense, then choose how you'd like to punish them (or not).

The writers use this mechanic as a chance to insert some humour and ridiculousness to an otherwise fairly tense and dramatic story. You can go the standard "off with 'er head!" route, or choose a dialogue option where your Inquisitor comes up with some kind of humorous "punishment". The best of which imo is when you receive a wooden crate containing the decomposing body of an important character you killed on a previous mission. It's explained that protocol within the nobility dictates that even in death the character needs to be judged before their assets can be addressed, which your Inquisitor can either take seriously and respect diplomatic protocol, or be sarcastic and point out how stupid it is to judge a corpse.

If you go the sarcastic route your Inquisitor will "punish" the corpse by giving it community service and then close their judgement with "I also judge the box! End table for orphans."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Internet Wizard posted:

Origins was also made by a different team at a different developer while the actual dev team made Knight

My understanding is that not only did the main dev team outsource the PC work to another company, but the main dev team has in fact thrown said another company entirely under the bus on this matter.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ImpAtom posted:

There are a ton of mooks who have lines of dialogue specifically designed for you to interrupt just to be an rear end in a top hat. Guys who are like "Batman isn't around. Just watch, I'll prove it. HEY BATS! See? Nothing!" All of them are positioned so you can sneak up on them and be an rear end in a top hat when ambushing them, which is extra fun.

Reminds me of the pirates in Far Cry 3 sometimes saying "Too drat hot. Someone just loving shoot me."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Subjunctive posted:

My understanding is that not only did the main dev team outsource the PC work to another company, but the main dev team has in fact thrown said another company entirely under the bus on this matter.

They released the following statement:

quote:

Hi all

We're aware that some users are reporting performance issues with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight. This is something that Rocksteady takes very seriously. We are working closely with our external PC development partner to make sure these issues get resolved as quickly as possible.

We'll update this thread when we've got more info to share.

Thanks

CODA

Apparently they sent it out to Iron Galaxy, which was responsible for Origins being a mess as well as generally being incompetent with their other releases. As such, even people with the most powerful rigs you can build are getting abysmal performance, especially when driving the Batmobile around which tends to drop the FPS to the 10-20 range and cause enough hitching that the game is essentially unplayable. I "only" have a GTX 960 and it runs like garbage even with everything set to lowest settings, people are basically going to have to wait for a patch to play the game on PC and a whole bunch are getting refunds through Steam.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's also a moment in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger where two random mooks are having a smoke break in front of a truly ridiculously large pile of exploding barrels; their conversation consists entirely of "Are you sure we should be havin' these smokes right next to these here gunpowder barrels?" "Yeah I'm sure it's safe, what could possibly go wrong?" and then you are upon them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In Republique one of the people helping the main character to escape is part of the security staff. One of the collectibles in the game are video game cartridges, depicting indie games released in the last 2-3 years. If you select one of the cartridges in your inventory he'll tell you something about the game, developer or why he liked the game. He'll also have remarks about some of the workplace posters you encounter (most which serve as tutorials or reminders of gameplay elements). During the story he is forced to leave his office for a while making him unable to assist you. The cartridges and posters are no longer voiced at that point.

The main menu of the game is a series of monitors that this guard is, well.... monitoring, explaining how he is able to assist you. Once he leaves in the game, you also no longer see him on the main menu. I thought that was all a nice touch.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It should be noted that this rant is about around 25 minutes of game time and dramatically accentuates certain things.

You actually haven't gotten to the real flying upgrades yet!

Anyway, a little thing about Arkham Knight:

I don't know if blowing 12 upgrade points on the ridiculous ejector seat was sensible, but I feel it was the right choice.

And those sorts of mook boasts are great. I was in the middle of doing something important when one of them said Batman had broken his arm before, but he figured lightning wouldn't strike twice. He was wrong. But then I had forgotten what I was supposed to be doing.

Also the idea that Batman isn't killing people in these games makes me laugh when it comes to gameplay. Nobody could survive some of the things I've been up to, especially the high-speed chases ending in exploding cars. No, Detective Vision, I don't believe that man is unconscious, he was crushed into a wall while being electrocuted after he was smashed out of his car.

Oh, the Batmobile is just amazing fun and I could go on and on about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One detail that's neat is how in Barbara's clock tower you can see the mask she uses in the comic books as her avatar when appearing as Oracle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Holy poo poo you can watch the Batmobile driving to your position in detective mode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In AK Batman gets hit with some fear toxin, so sometimes in fights with random guys one of them will turn into the Joker and only turn back when the fight is over.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

muscles like this? posted:

In AK Batman gets hit with some fear toxin, so sometimes in fights with random guys one of them will turn into the Joker and only turn back when the fight is over.

I love that the Joker is integrated into the game the way he is that feels almost unscripted. Him constantly taking the piss out of Batman at every turn has been pretty funny so far. The first time I landed on a rooftop while exploring only to hear his voice and see him perched on the building's railing was a pleasant surprise.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ArchRanger posted:

I love that the Joker is integrated into the game the way he is that feels almost unscripted. Him constantly taking the piss out of Batman at every turn has been pretty funny so far. The first time I landed on a rooftop while exploring only to hear his voice and see him perched on the building's railing was a pleasant surprise.

They do so much stuff like that and it's completely seamless. The early sequence where you see Barbara getting shot in the spine, the room transforming as you move your vision around was done so well. :allears:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Reminds me of the pirates in Far Cry 3 sometimes saying "Too drat hot. Someone just loving shoot me."

Hitman: Absolution had a lot of these and they were always fun. There's a bit in the tutorial mission where a guard's on the phone with his doctor and from his side of the conversation it becomes clear that he was worried he might have had cancer but the doctor lets him know his tests came back negative. He celebrates for a bit before walking over to the window, where you are hanging just below, perfectly positioned to pull him out the window and off a cliff, and says to no one in particular, "Man, nothing could bring this day down!"

A couple missions later you're evading Boston police through an abandoned, decaying library. Rotting wood has caused a massive hole to open up in the floor. One of the cops sees it while on patrol and stands on the very edge, looking down and wondering aloud if you could survive a fall down there and shouting to the other cops nearby for their opinion on the matter. The game has a context-sensitive button that lets you push anyone standing on the edge of a fatal drop.

After dropping him the first time I usually now just let cancer guy walk away from the window before climbing through and sneaking past, but I can't ever bring myself to not satisfy the cop's curiosity.

I want to say there's a lot more but those are the two that come to mind immediately.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In that same level there's a giant chandelier hanging above the exit, disconnected from almost the entire rest of the map. Way way at the bottom of the stairwell, like 5 floors down, there are a bunch of cops standing directly underneath it warning other cops to avoid it because the whole place is rickety and you know what happens when you walk under a chandelier in a rickety building. Right as you are climbing across a beam above the chandelier and they are having this conversation there's a prompt to cut the rope and kill all the cops for no reason other than maximum irony points. :v:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Is Absolution a good game? I've heard almost nothing about it. I know it's a bit late for the Steam sales, but if it's pretty decent, I'd be willing to drop some cash on it.

Also, I've never played any other Hitman game, if that's anything.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

pulp rag posted:

Is Absolution a good game? I've heard almost nothing about it. I know it's a bit late for the Steam sales, but if it's pretty decent, I'd be willing to drop some cash on it.

Play Contracts and Blood Money, they are the far superior games. Namely Blood Money, which is the zenith of the series. Absolution could have been good but it got bogged down by AAA sensibilities that sacrificed what made Contracts and Blood Money so good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Absolution is a good game but it's way far and apart different in style, narrative, and even gameplay than the other Hitman games. The levels for example are a lot more linear and focus on traveling through the level to get to an end goal instead of letting you freely roam around the level and set things up to your liking. It's not worse or better for that, just different. I liked it and I do think it's worth a playthrough if you can find it cheap. Blood Money is probably the "best" Hitman game though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pulp rag posted:

It was mediocre. Painfully mediocre. It wasn't bad at all but it was also hideously bugged at release (the UI refused to display on many peoples' computers) and it took out a lot of stuff that made other Hitman games good. It also added a cover system, badly executed checkpoints, and other stupid poo poo. It isn't a terrible game but it went far too much toward "console shooter on rails" to be any good. Going to second Jacobs; Contracts and Blood Money are the games you want. Silent Assassin is also pretty good but very much shows its age.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Absolution is a good game but it's way far and apart different in style, narrative, and even gameplay than the other Hitman games. The levels for example are a lot more linear and focus on traveling through the level to get to an end goal instead of letting you freely roam around the level and set things up to your liking. It's not worse or better for that, just different. I liked it and I do think it's worth a playthrough if you can find it cheap. Blood Money is probably the "best" Hitman game though.

I loved Absolution and these are my thoughts exactly. I've only played BM and Absolution and I'd gladly recommend either of them, I've beaten both multiple times each and still go back to both every now and then.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The one good thing about the nun trailer was that it was completely indicative of the game's quality, unlike most trailers.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I found Absolution to be just as much fun as Blood Money and Contracts. That said, it is very different in style. It's still got the Hitman "feel" in places where you have to change clothes to gain access to areas, and it's still got opportunites to be creative with how you take out your targets, but it's much more linear and when poo poo goes sideways it is often much more forgiving.

And don't worry about not playing previous games; the Hitman series is one of those series where each game can be enjoyed independently of all the others.

Pretty sad about all the problms with Arkham Knight, I was really lookng forward to it on PC. I'm amused by the possibility of exploding baddies via car crash into unconciousness, the previous games were pretty good at believably keepng enemies from being killed (irreparably maimed maybe, but not dead). Although once I did somehow manage to kick the last enemy in a brawl down an elevator shaft, something like a good 10 or so stories in Arkham City. I laughed pretty hard when detective vision told me he was unconcious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

princecoo posted:

I'm amused by the possibility of exploding baddies via car crash into unconciousness, the previous games were pretty good at believably keepng enemies from being killed (irreparably maimed maybe, but not dead).

Beaten unconscious and left in the snow with no help on the way is dead. Even if Batman did call an ambulance, they're probably still dead. Even if every one of them made it to a hospital, there's no way the hospitals are going to be able to handle that many seriously injured people coming in in such a short amount of time. Batman is a serial mass murderer.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pulp rag posted:

It's a pretty fun stealth-action game, most of the backlash was from fans of the original games who forgot that every other game in the series other than Blood Money was also full of linear action-oriented levels, had godawful/non-existent mid-level save systems, and had plenty of goofy ridiculous bullshit in them; Latex Titty Nuns are about on par with Bald Albino Clone In Bird Costume, Evil Circus Midget, Human Jabba The Hutt, and Offensive Caricature Of Black American Gangsters As Envisioned By Danish Video Game Designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Absolution is aggressively mediocre. It's not outright bad but you're definitely not missing anything if you don't play it.