Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Basically you've got to learn your invincibility frames. Even the simple act of jumping has invincibility frames and it's one of the best way to avoid attacks. Dante is probably the easiest since he DOES have a 'dodge button' mode with Trickster.

Besides jumping and the dodge roll, what are other good ways to avoid damage?

Bayonetta kinda spoiled me too, but largely because of how deprecated locking on is in that game, where it's still a core part of DMC's controls. They're such different games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
So use trick up to dodge, seems like it would work great with Berial.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

EightFlyingCars posted:

That's it for most characters (and it's generally enough since you can cancel almost anything into jump or dodge.) For Dante you can use the royal guard style but it requires timed blocks to completely negate damage.

DMC has always encouraged a very, very aggressive play style. Stunlocking anything that gets close to you does most of the work.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

notZaar posted:

So use trick up to dodge, seems like it would work great with Berial.

Berial's tough to fight while airborne: if you don't have an aerial dodge, you'll probably be caught out of position by the lava spikes, spinning slash, or nuke explosion. Interesting choice to have Nero fight him as the first actual boss, since Nero's aerial movement sucks compared to Dante. Better to fight from the ground, or use DT for Trick Down and/or Trick spam.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm motivated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlxu761LhBI

(Guys, I think this game is gonna eat my life a second time, please send help. :ohdear:)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm going spoil a thing: The dice game snatch trick doesn't work for Vergil, haven't tried Nero or Lady yet.

Hel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 23, 2015

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really don't understand how anyone can look at videos like that from DMC4 and not totally understand why so many of us were so upset at the reboot. There is no capacity for anything that Smokin' Sick Stylish in DmC.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I really don't understand how anyone can look at videos like that from DMC4 and not totally understand why so many of us were so upset at the reboot. There is no capacity for anything that Smokin' Sick Stylish in DmC.

Because you're just a butthurt fanboy who is mad about hair, duh. What else could it be?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

EightFlyingCars posted:

Aggression. Enemies tend to have more damage stun in this game. Nero's grab moves are also a godsend for interrupting enemies

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hel posted:

I'm going spoil a thing: The dice game snatch trick doesn't work for Vergil, haven't tried Nero or Lady yet.

You mean the one where whatever number you hit is the one you roll? Because starfall and helm breaker do that on Vergil's side. I haven't gotten to the dice game on any other characters yet though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You mean the one where whatever number you hit is the one you roll? Because starfall and helm breaker do that on Vergil's side. I haven't gotten to the dice game on any other characters yet though.

Great will remember that for the next dice game. Always good to be able to bypass them. I anyone finds what works for Lady please post that as well.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

notZaar posted:

Right but the question was about SSS ranking.
I would say that if you are really worried about those ranks, then you're probably the type of person who doesn't mind mindless tasks like smashing barrels for red orbs.

I don't think there is a SSS ranking. Both the results screen and overall screens only show a single S.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hel posted:

Great will remember that for the next dice game. Always good to be able to bypass them. I anyone finds what works for Lady please post that as well.

Her first melee attack does the trick for Lady. You just have to start early because the attack comes out so slowly.

Speaking of Lady, are a lot of her animations just not cancellable? It feels like she spends a lot of time rooted in place and the game expects me to anticipate attacks more than just relying on reflexes alone. That or I just don't really get her yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Kind of. I'm not that far in the game yet but I find I do need to be careful about using her big slow moves. If you don't have the space she does have faster moves like shotgun stinger (the followup attack is absurdly strong for something with no charge), pistol/shotgun charges, and the grappling hook.

And of course save DT burst to clear out crowds.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Brutakas posted:

I don't think there is a SSS ranking. Both the results screen and overall screens only show a single S.

It's not a "real" ranking, it just means getting an "S" in all 3 categories.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

Kind of. I'm not that far in the game yet but I find I do need to be careful about using her big slow moves. If you don't have the space she does have faster moves like shotgun stinger (the followup attack is absurdly strong for something with no charge), pistol/shotgun charges, and the grappling hook.

And of course save DT burst to clear out crowds.

Burst is pretty cool for iframing through big boss attacks too.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I'm a bad person for wanting to play through the game with the regular characters again first, knowing I'll probably never get through the full character list with my current time constraints.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Quick question before I do something stupid: If I quit mid-mission after completing a secret mission, I'll keep my secret mission progress right? There's no way to manually save that I can see, and I don't want to have to redo secret missions if I don't have to.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I picked Lady/Trish to start off with, since I wanted a fresh experience. I didn't realize how drat powerful Lady is. If you play careful you can rip through enemies. It's hard to get stylish moves off for big damage though, on the bosses' "attack window" it seems like it's best to just charge up some rockets.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I forgot just how much of my Nero play revolves around timing Max-act and level 3 blue rose charges. Starting out without either again is rough

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

I forgot just how much of my Nero play revolves around timing Max-act and level 3 blue rose charges. Starting out without either again is rough

You can at least get 3 charges and a few moves by right after the first boss, but I really wish Max-act was a thing you started with.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Just play around with the other characters for a bit and use the souls you get from them to get it.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Quitting right before I get to the Dante fight. Super terrified of how that'll be with lady and her minimal mobility.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pizzas must be smaller in Japan

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
I played DMC4 a while ago and I swear there was a toggle lock on button, am I crazy?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Might be something you can change in options? Seems like a bad idea though, since you're constantly locking and unlocking to do moves.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there any sort of bonus of having the original version and getting the Special Edition of 4 on PC? Cause I kind of want to play this on my PS4.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nope, go ahead.

Is it bad I'm eye balling the DLC because I kinda don't feel like grinding up everybody and getting to DMD mode.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

notZaar posted:

I picked Lady/Trish to start off with, since I wanted a fresh experience. I didn't realize how drat powerful Lady is. If you play careful you can rip through enemies. It's hard to get stylish moves off for big damage though, on the bosses' "attack window" it seems like it's best to just charge up some rockets.

the correct method of fighting all bosses as lady is extremely stupid and not stylish at all
it's just shooting them with a shotgun until they die

i've never played dmc4 to finish before and i actually still do not know the attacks of the bosses because of how simple it is to do this to all of them

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MaOL-urRy8

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Every enemy in the game was built on the assumption that the player's ranged attacks are much weaker than their melee so it was inevitable Lady would break things to some extent. I'm glad they went ahead with her anyway.

Also I think that's still slower than Dante can chump Berial with a few distorted real impacts.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 24, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Is anyone else having a hard time fighting The Savior as Vergil, or has Savior always been this much of a pain in the rear end?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So played through a few stages with Lady. I thought she was super limited at first but man some of her style attacks are so...stylish. The launcher with the twosome time attack has a really wide range and drat those guns can stunlock.

Might have to adjust the controller settings for charge shots. Setting it to the a trigger might be better.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I never really used Vergil's summoned swords much outside of the basic ones during combos and spiral swords in DMC3, but holy drat is blistering swords insane. I just facerolled DMD Dante 2 with a mix of beowulf, spiral swords, and blistering swords.

It just does so much damage, doesn't cost much, and not having any activation animation is really nice.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Startin' to heat up *vroom vroom*

Yea I'm starting with Nero & Dante since I need to unlock DT and weapons

Orb scoring is mad stupid but luckily style and time are weighted more in the score screen. S Rank me bro

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's some ction crap on sale on EU PSN, some of it doesn't suck!

quote:

Anarchy Reigns
80% off
Original price £19.99/€24.99
Offer price £4.00/€5.00

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Digital Bundle
75% off
Original price £24.99/€29.99
Offer price £6.25/€7.50

Devil May Cry HD Collection
60% off
Original price £19.99/€29.99
Offer price £8.00/€12.00

God Hand
70% off
Original price £7.99/€9.99
Offer price £2.40/€3.00

Killer is Dead
75% off
Original price £15.99/€19.99
Offer price £4.00/€5.00

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
80% off
Original price £19.99/€24.99
Offer price £4.00/€5.00

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
30% off
Original price £19.99/€29.99
Offer price £13.99/€20.99

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
25% off
Original price £15.99/€19.99
Offer price £11.99/€14.99

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
85% off
Original price £49.99/€59.99
Offer price £7.50/€9.00

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
50% off
Original price £34.99/€39.99
Offer price £17.50/€20.00

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
55% off
Original price £29.99/€34.99
Offer price £13.50/€15.75

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
50% off
Original price £49.99/€59.99
Offer price £25.00/€30.00

There's some other good stuff on sale like Vanquish, Dragon's Dogma, the Souls games, etc as well as lots of hunting games, musou and sidescrolling poo poo.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
Does anyone own DMC4 on the PS4?
Does it achieve a steady 60fps?

Can't decide on PC or PS4.
Normally I would pick PC, but if they're identical, I'll probably go PS4.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They're pretty much the same.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Charlie Brown posted:

Does anyone own DMC4 on the PS4?
Does it achieve a steady 60fps?

Can't decide on PC or PS4.
Normally I would pick PC, but if they're identical, I'll probably go PS4.

I haven't seen any framerate drops yet, but admittedly I've only played a few missions of each campaign.

Speaking of, Vergil is super super fun and I had a way easier time picking him up than Lady. It seems like she's not very good at comboing, although it might just be the limited moveset I have right now. She loving destroys bosses though, that's great.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
The PC version will probably get cool mods and trainers if that matters to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Read Gaudy mods that look like rear end and trainers with nonsensical difficulty modifications that just test how long you can stunlock rather than do much new.

Well i dont thin you really are missing much, unless you want to skip the proud orb grind.

• Locked thread