Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I can't wait to see how entertaining the 14nm fab fistfight moshpit is going to be for the next few years as we'll be stuck with it

It'll be the new 28nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Malcolm XML posted:

It'll be the new 28nm

Two years of Same-Same, But Differeeeeen!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Sounds like US politics across several presidents :smith:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That Kaby Lake stuff led me to find out that AVX-512 stuff will only be enabled on the Xeon variants of Skylake? Why's that? No space on the die, ditching the IGP to gain transistors for AVX-512?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So Cannonlake moves to 'Tock' now?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Khagan posted:

It moves to 'loud explosion'

Malcolm XML posted:

It'll be the new 28nm
Only this time Intel doesn't get to leapfrog away from the shitshow, they've been pulled into the ring and Samsung's been winding up their chairs for this one

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 24, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Khagan posted:

We're waltzing now. Process shrinks in bold.

Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Devil's Canyon, Broadwell, Skylake, Kaby Lake, Cannonlake.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It moves to 'loud explosion'

Only this time Intel doesn't get to leapfrog away from the shitshow, they've been pulled into the ring and Samsung's been winding up their chairs for this one

In terms of number of chips shipped, samsung's 14nm seems to have ramped faster than intel's, although Intel is supposed to be smaller. Considering that Intel has delayed 10nm to "I dunno 2017 or something" and is heading into layoffs, meanwhile Samsung is fabbing most of the chips used in the sexiest and fastest growing market (high end smartphone soc), Intel is probably not going to be the leader in process tech going forward.

Which seems crazy, intel's lead in process tech has lasted a long rear end time, but all things must end.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Wasn't Intels lead eroded by corporate espionage? Samsung is kinda known for that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Riso posted:

Wasn't Intels lead eroded by corporate espionage? Samsung is kinda known for that.

You know, I kind of don't even give a poo poo if it was. All these companies do dubious-rear end things to get on top and for us, the consumers, competition is good, even if the corporations are being unethical toward each other to create that competition.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

That Kaby Lake stuff led me to find out that AVX-512 stuff will only be enabled on the Xeon variants of Skylake? Why's that? No space on the die, ditching the IGP to gain transistors for AVX-512?
Do Skylake Xeons get AVX-512 across the board? If so it's not the IGP cause they're putting them onto at least some Skylake Xeon variants (not talking about E3s) according to those slides from a few weeks back, course that could still be a die space thing considering the Xeons can have bigger dies Maybe they're just taking their time to not gently caress it up like the TSX errata before?

Any chance they skip Kaby Lake for the Xeons and release Cannonlake parts all somewhat close to each other instead of a year behind?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

As there been any release date set for skylake yet? I was planning on building a new PC when it comes out, hope it doesn't get delayed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

September-October estimated.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rakeris posted:

As there been any release date set for skylake yet? I was planning on building a new PC when it comes out, hope it doesn't get delayed.

What exactly are you planning that requires Skylake specifically except for raging nerd-boners.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Boiled Water posted:

What exactly are you planning that requires Skylake specifically except for raging nerd-boners.

Maybe he wants the four extra PCIe 3.0 lanes it has for a sweet, sweet NVMe SSD without negligibly slowing down his graphics card? ok maybe that's just what I want

edit: also he wants to pay extra to buy new RAM

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 26, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Skylake ought to be a big boon to Mobile users, we all know laptop graphics are always far behind.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Maybe he wants the four extra PCIe 3.0 lanes it has for a sweet, sweet NVMe SSD without negligibly slowing down his graphics card? ok maybe that's just what I want

That's what I'm looking forward to really, haven't done a ground up system rebuild in a while and I want to get something like an Intel 750 SSD when I do.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

I'm really hoping for some nice chipset features on Z170. I'm still not sure if I should refresh my Phenom 2 & DDR2 machine now, or keep waiting for Skylake like I was planning. All that I seem to lose by waiting is $30 that I'll have to spend for DDR4 vs DDR3.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm really hoping for some nice chipset features on Z170.
It'll be a big upgrade from your current system overall but I dunno if I'd call it nice. Most of the info. has already been leaked and I'm kinda irritated they didn't at least put USB3.1 support into the chipset. More PCIe lanes is probably the biggest difference over the Z97 chipset.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm really hoping for some nice chipset features on Z170. I'm still not sure if I should refresh my Phenom 2 & DDR2 machine now, or keep waiting for Skylake like I was planning. All that I seem to lose by waiting is $30 that I'll have to spend for DDR4 vs DDR3.

Would you please, for the audience, list these nice features you'll be gaining by waiting?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Would you please, for the audience, list these nice features you'll be gaining by waiting?

More PCI-E lanes, NVMe support on an M.2 connector (Z97 may already do this, I'm not sure), and 5-10% better IPC. Overall Skylake should be slightly better in lots of small ways, right? Is there really zero reason to get an i5-6600 vs a i5-4590? It would be one thing if old intel CPUs went on clearance when the new stuff was introduced, but the new generation always costs the same as the old so you may as well take it.

Edit: You're making me second guess myself here, I guess I could just do an H97 and i5-4590 in an RVZ01B, but it feels so lame to buy Haswell 2 whole years after its introduction.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 26, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The announcements will be early to mid August (gamescom and/or Intel dev forum), shouldn't be available too long after that.
Launch lineup are are i7-6700 and i5-6600 both unlocked (K) or regular, i5-6500 and 6400, plus a bunch of low power T model stuff.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

but it feels so lame to buy Haswell 2 whole years after its introduction.
They're just not improving things like they used to unfortunately. The expected improvements are going to be very incremental vs a Haswell/Z97 based system and not even all that impressive vs Sandy Bridge/Z77 based system.

You'd think they'd try to do more to differentiate the chipsets at least if they can't or won't improve the CPU much anymore. Pack more features in or support improvements like USB3.1 or something to add some value and give the end user a reason or at least enticement to upgrade.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm waiting for Skylake because I want to move to a smaller case and form factor, I already have an i7 2600k but I can't find an mATX motherboard for it or I'd just stick with it. It just seems like such a waste to "upgrade" to Haswell when Skylake will be out in just a few months.

Also I thought Intel's roadmap showed the k-series processors as part of the initial Skylake release?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If you don't mind BioStar they still sell a Z77 mATX mobo for $80.

As far as I know this is still fairly accurate for Skylake K availability.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 27, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you don't mind BioStar they still sell a Z77 mATX mobo for $80.

As far as I know this is still fairly accurate for Skylake K availability.

I've been told to never buy Biostar, they are to motherboards as the $20 1000W PSU is to PSUs. :gonk:

Yeah, that chart shows the k-series CPUs coming out in August - September 2015 just like I thought. I figure I might as well wait a few months and see how things look with Skylake before spending a bunch of money on a whole new system.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea I don't much like BioStar either but I know lots of people like them and thought maybe you hadn't seen it yet.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
BioStar isn't top tier but they are still beat out in shittiness by ECS/PC Chips and Foxconn

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

Honestly it was more of a "just cause" kinda thing, it seems to come with some nice features but there wasn't any of them I really wanted or needed, maybe in the future I suppose. I just have not done a total new build in a while and wanted to do one with it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rakeris posted:

Honestly it was more of a "just cause" kinda thing, it seems to come with some nice features but there wasn't any of them I really wanted or needed, maybe in the future I suppose. I just have not done a total new build in a while and wanted to do one with it.

This exactly. I am still using a Core 2 Quad chip on a P35 motherboard. I have waited this long to upgrade. Waiting another 2 months isn't going to kill me. Especially if it will give me an extra 10% IPC, more PCI-E 3.0 lanes, a probably upgrade path to Kaby Lake, DDR4 memory, and USB 3.1 via an add-on chip.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Actually, I am in a very similar position and just posted a question in the recommendation thread which I guess I probably should have better posted here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266&pagenumber=286#post447089221

quote:

I don't want to re-hash the whole "future proof" question, but I would appreciate some opinions.

My wife's old i5-750 based PC is starting to die. Between a flaky SSD and mobo which has USB ports that aren't working, it is on the downward slide.

I am planing to give her my super reliable 2500K/GTX780 system and build a new 4790K/GTX980ti based box for myself. However, I have been reading about the new Skylake CPUs expected to start coming out in the next few months. I probably can nurse her old 750 along until the fall if need be (and even if it dies it isn't the end of the world), but is the anticipated performance jump over the 4790K going to be worth the wait?

I typically game with flight sims, games like Elite Dangerous, and probably go to a 1440p setup from my existing 1080p in the near future too... and probably VR once they become ready for prime time.

The $200-$300 or so difference between a H/Z97 and DDR3 to a new DDR4 based Skylake isn't a deal breaker, it's more if I keep a new build for 4 years again should I wait until the new gen comes out considering it's getting pretty close.

tl;dr - All things being equal, is Skylake anticipated to be a significant enough jump over Devils Canyon to warrant waiting a few more months?

I am getting the impression from the responses above that it's just as good of a time to jump in now?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

slidebite posted:

I am getting the impression from the responses above that it's just as good of a time to jump in now?

There really isn't any compelling reason to specifically wait for Skylake. If you need a new computer now then get one now.

The only things, feature wise, that Skylake brings to the table are 4 more PCIe3 lanes and DDR4.

The extra lanes are really only beneficial if you plan on running 2 graphics cards in SLI and still need to run a NVMe SSD. The faster SSDs are certainly nice but the difference in performance isn't nearly as noticeable as the diff between a spinny HD and SSD.

When Skylake releases DDR4 won't be noticeably faster than DDR3 (5%?) so there's also no real benefit there either.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I almost certainly wouldn't be SLIing and I suppose it comes down to single, or maybe multithread performance.

If a Devils Canyon is just as good as Skylake while also being a bit cheaper and I can get it now, all the better.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Will the skylake successor use the same socket?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

wipeout posted:

The same as what

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Krailor posted:

When Skylake releases DDR4 won't be noticeably faster than DDR3 (5%?) so there's also no real benefit there either.

I am not interested in DDR4 as a performance increase. I am interested in building a PC that I will be able to max out with fat loads of RAM for cheap after the prices drops(assuming that DDR4's prices drop the same way that DDR3 did and DDR2 did before it).

wipeout posted:

sauer kraut posted:

The same as what

Supposedly, Kaby Lake will use the same socket at Skylake.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 27, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think we're still a couple of years away from 'fat loads' of cheap DDR4 and I dunno how far away from 'fat loads' of cheap and really fast DDR4.

I'm assuming you mean 64GB+ when you say fat loads though so I could be horribly wrong.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
64GB, 128GB. What ever the max these boards end up supporting. But yeah, I am talking a year or more from now. Not at launch.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If I'm not doing, I don't know, video encoding or protein folding, am I likely to see any benefit from 128GB of RAM over, say, 8GB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toast Museum posted:

If I'm not doing, I don't know, video encoding or protein folding, am I likely to see any benefit from 128GB of RAM over, say, 8GB?

In the future, probably. Not like next week.