Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hey, I'm really starting to get into comp stomp Age of Empires 3 with my bro. We tried stepping it up to Hard and I'm having a little trouble keeping up. Anyone have advice on how to play Germany effectively? What's some good builds orders, tech traps I should try to avoid (Wallenstein's Contracts :v:), maybe some good army composition suggestions? I like taking the cheap windmills card and am planning on bringing the cheap plantations one once I level up enough to buy it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Male Man posted:

You can buy weapons for your crew and "loan" them out for a mission.

holy poo poo

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anything for Darkest Dungeon?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any tips for Ironcast? In particular how to help make it not so hard? I feel like I'm always having the other enemy mech get the jump on me, since I can't figure my guns in the first round and they can (which seems like either I'm missing something, or it's a lovely combat mechanic). What can I do to survive more than a few missions and have a shot at that boss?

General tips for Ironcast

1.Early on you'll want to focus more on shields than your evasion, Even when the enemy comes with high damage energy weapons having high shields will mitigate a good percentage of that damage. Also taking out said high damage weapon is a good way to render the enemy unable to do damage to you which leads to

2. Drawing out the fight as long as you can so you can get extra matchs from the board, more matches leads to more scrap and XP which means you will have more abilities+more health to take on the final boss. That said be sure you have the situation under control before you attempt this otherwise the extra damage you take (and thus have to repair) will undermine the point of drawing out the fight!

3.Conversely you want to have a high Evasion stat as get closer to end game as it'll be near impossible to mitigate every little bit of damage. By the time you reach this point you'll hopefully have both a good shield AND a good drive system so you should be using both in tandem anyway.

4.The game is much more luck based than any other Rogue-like out there, there will be times where you simply cannot win due to how your gems fall or your enemy simply got good luck and hit you through your 40% evade chance while you coulden't get a hit in because the bastard is able to keep both his shield and evasion maxed for 6 turns straight. Try not to get to frustrated although it'll probably happen

5.The best general use pilots are the first (Powell) and last (Kylock) as they let you manipulate how much energy you need to active your shields and drive systems.The best general use Ironcast is actually the first one (Dunraven) if you want to think of it in the Faster Than Light sense you start with the Kestral thinking "wow i want to use these other ships, they look cool!" but then after using them you find out "oh wait, the Kestrel is probably one of the best ships in the game!" Kylock in particular can be a beast if you get the ability that lets you change nodes to energy then use that to max out your evasion early on in a fight for super cheap.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any tips for Ironcast? In particular how to help make it not so hard? I feel like I'm always having the other enemy mech get the jump on me, since I can't figure my guns in the first round and they can (which seems like either I'm missing something, or it's a lovely combat mechanic). What can I do to survive more than a few missions and have a shot at that boss?
All these tips come with the caveat that I've gotten TO the second boss but not beaten it.

- Whenever possible, your first turn should accomplish the following, in descending order of importance: Bring up at least two levels of shield, get an overdrive, fill up your ammo, fill up your energy, fill up your repair.

- Whether or not you make that massive 10+ symbol match should depend on how confident you are that you can win in the next turn or two without the wasted resources. If you can, the extra XP is great. If not, you're probably better splitting it into two matches.

- Try to keep your shield at maximum at all times. Just about every mission gives you plenty of time to play defensively, which will save you a lot of scrap in the long run.

- Sometimes, waiting to fire for a turn to let your opponent's shields lower a bit is the right move. Especially if their shield's in overdrive.

- Don't bother wasting energy on your drive until you're getting at least 10% dodge chance per level.

- Scrap should always be used first to repair first, then only after build parts.

- Don't waste scrap on building a part unless it's either rare or at least two ranks above your current. The exception is for even halfway decent Dense Shields, which are worth their weight in gold.

- Survival missions are never worth it.

- Passive perks that reduce resource usage or give you more are almost always the best option. I'm especially fond of the "1 free coolant per turn" one.

- Active perks are much more about personal play style, but Ammo Leech is never a bad choice.

- Rapid fire weapons have way higher average damage, but single shot weapons are necessary to punch through shields. Always have one of each, ideally in whatever type (energy or mechanical) that your character is best with.

- Don't forget that you can target specific areas by clicking the little crosshair on the right. Generally, your targeting order should be something like Shields > Single shot weapon(s) > Armor > Drive > Other.

- As an exception to the above, when fighting a boss, aim for shields and their highest average damage weapon. Don't bother shooting at anything else.

- Salvage missions always give you a free part or HP boost if you succeed, at the cost of limiting your targeting and weapon choices.

- The second ironcast has a very good ability, especially paired with the first pilot, and together they're a very good choice for a new player.

- You're still gonna die a lot. And that's okay.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 21, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
What about Guacamelee?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

What about Guacamelee?

What platform are you playing it on? And are you playing the Super Championship Turbo version? The original is a good game but that update added some new areas and tied some loose ends that made the original feel a bit too abrupt in the end.

If you're confident in your skills I'd recommend playing the game on hard (you input a Konami-like code to unlock it and it's different based on the platform you're playing on). The game is very well balanced on hard and actually makes the costumes worth using.

All the colored blocks are tied to a special move you eventually learn. The purple blocks can only be broken with the pollo bomb, a move you learn in hell by unlocking the silver door.

It's pretty straightforward. All the secrets are highlighted on the map and you can't miss anything.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Sociopastry posted:

This got posted a few pages ago

Woffle posted:

Play very conservatively. This is a game about 1 step forward, .8 steps back. Do short, easy missions for a good long while. Every party needs a healer and two isn't always overkill. The Man-At-Arms is your best first slot class. There's no penalty for recruiting people from the wagon until you're full so feel free to try out the classes. You can even send a group of 4 on a suicide mission, minimally outfitted, to try them out.

When you get a bit further in, you always want to have someone in the sanitarium to remove negative traits.

Oh, and upgrading armor is your first priority when you get some money in your pocket.

This game isn't for everyone. I personally really, really love it but you can get hosed by bad die rolls and every decision you make matters quite a bit for a good long time.

I would be a bit more general and say upgrade whichever slot seems for suitable for the class (upgrade weapons first on damage dealers) but that's more an experimentation thing.

One thing that did gently caress me over though that I wasn't aware of is that once your adventurers get to level 3 they'll refuse to go on any lower level missions. Make sure you have a good idea of who you want to send out before you allocate them for rest/sanatorium.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

***Ironcast knowledge***

Poison Mushroom posted:

***more Ironcast knowledge***

Thanks, guys -- much appreciated. Time to make a dent in those drat enemy mechs.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

al-azad posted:

What platform are you playing it on? And are you playing the Super Championship Turbo version? The original is a good game but that update added some new areas and tied some loose ends that made the original feel a bit too abrupt in the end.

If you're confident in your skills I'd recommend playing the game on hard (you input a Konami-like code to unlock it and it's different based on the platform you're playing on). The game is very well balanced on hard and actually makes the costumes worth using.

I'm on PC with a gamepad, and I have the Super Championship Turbo Edition. I'll switch to Hard, thanks!

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Any one have any tips for Unity of Command? I picked it up during the summer sale and was surprised at how relentlessly difficult it is.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hand of Fate? I have that wildcards DLC too.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Was surprised to not find Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on the wiki. Anyone have any advice for this one in particular? Or even the sequel?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Iron Rose posted:

Hand of Fate? I have that wildcards DLC too.

I'm only halfway through so I can't give any huge protips, but you should always try and keep cards that have tokens in them in your deck until you get the token from it as that will net you a lot of new cards. They're in a separate category when picking your Encounter cards and they have a small mark at the bottom. Even if you get a game over you keep all the tokens you earned during your run, so taking risks for the sake of tokens can pay off in the long run.

Similarly it's a good idea to bring any cards that are marked as New to find out what they actually do. On that note you should always visit shops even if you don't have the money to buy anything, as they can sell items from your deck that you haven't identified yet and simply seeing them in stock will permanently identify them for you.

There are a lot of encounters that ask for food (usually nets you the card's token and an item or blessing) and if you run out you lose 10 HP for every step you take, so keeping a lot of food at hand is very important once the adventures start getting longer. It's usually better to spend your gold on food rather than items unless you already have a ton or lack something critical like a shield. That said some encounters also require gold, for example after beating the Jack of Plagues you're stuck with three annoying Ratmen Hunting -encounters in all your decks until you bring 50 gold to a certain encounter.

Last thing that comes to mind is that the chance encounters where you have to pick a card from four shuffled ones to determine the encounter's outcome is completely fair, so it's worth trying to keep an eye on the card you want to either get or avoid. It's not always possible but it helps nonetheless.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

On top of that, it's not always obvious how you get a cards token. At first it'll be easy/obvious to do it but as you go through the game they get more difficult/obscure/luck based to actually get.

It's also worth mentioning in that the game kind of takes it easy on you for the first about 5 opponents or so, it gets MUCH harder when you start fighting the later Kings and Queens.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Any tips for Warlock - Master of the Arcane?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

In addition to the other tips you will just die a lot. The game is very prone to your success hinging on the RNG giving you good blueprints and missions. You're gonna die in battle 10 if you haven't found a shield or drive upgrade, and there's nothing you can do about it then. I've gotten there with base shields and drive, or with basic weapons because all that dropped were Mk II sidegrades to the starting weapons, because you need both good defense and offense to deal with 10.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Could use some advice for Abyss Odyssey, I feel like it's kicking my rear end. Playing on co-op, if it matters.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Torchlight 2? My girlfriend and I want to play it together and I know there's workshop compatibility.

I've only just started myself, as an Engineer, so YMMV:
- Three hours in and I have 20k gold. Outside of the initial foray into the first town I haven't come across anything I couldn't afford, so feel free to play around with enchantments & gems.
- A balance of self-healing and damage output skills makes you pretty much a god. You'll do enough damage to wipe out the grunts in one or two smacks, but enough staying power to just whale away on the boss-level enemies without fear of dying.

Basically just pick a character build type and run with it; outside of spreading yourself incredibly thin I can't really picture a build that'd totally incapacitate you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sociopastry posted:

There's a good bit, come post in the thread and you'll get lots of info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943

kazil posted:

Anything for Dynasty Warriors 8: Extreme Legends? My first Dynasty Warriors game and I got some stuff from the tutorial, but I feel like there is a load of depth to this game I'm missing.

Play missions on easy or normal until you level up a whole lot. When on a mission, kill as many dudes as you can without dying. Be careful because dying will lose all of your earned XP for that session, possibly multiple levels of XP. Officers give way more xp and drop weapons when killed (people with names) but are harder to kill.

The game has a rock/paper/scissors element system; ideally equip two weapons of different elements. When you see an enemy officer, he'll have a symbol over his head. Matching your element to the weakness of your opponent lets you break their guard faster and do special attacks that destroy them. With only 2 of the 3 you can't always do that, but you can at least switch so that you're not at a disadvantage.

If you're ever in a really bad way and dying, run away from combat and go find pots to smash. Eventually you'll get some buns and heal up.
If you have a horse you can call your horse anywhere and it'll come running.

Morale is super important. Keep an eye on the map to see which color is winning where, and try to make the biggest difference you can. Any time your leader, say Cao Cao, tells you to do something, DROP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING AND DO THAT THING. If you do not do it fast enough you will hard fail, start over, lose all progress. Failure to maintain morale by completing objectives, winning battles, and capturing bases or spawn routes will mean you slowly get outnumbered.

Learn all of the combos for your character, and learn multiple characters. Different fighting styles are more effective than others, and each weapon is a different fighting style. Each character has a preferred style they're better at than everybody else, so ideally use that weapon type, but you can have one of those and one of something else if you like.

Play story missions, unlock weapons, level up your dudes, unlock better bodyguards and horses and stuff.

Do not pursue Lu Bu.

When you beat the story then look up on gamefaqs the special conditions to do to unlock all the best weapons in the game and stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Dynasty Warriors 8: Extreme Legends

Does most of this apply to Hyrule Warriors too?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Golden Goat posted:

Does most of this apply to Hyrule Warriors too?

Yes sir, pretty much the same game.

I'm trying to remember if Hyrule has the rock/paper/scissors, I think so...

There's a little more with the 2d retro exploration stuff in hyrule but you'll figure it out.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes sir, pretty much the same game.

I'm trying to remember if Hyrule has the rock/paper/scissors, I think so...

There's a little more with the 2d retro exploration stuff in hyrule but you'll figure it out.

Hyrule Warriors has a bit of Weakpoint Exploitation with the sub weapons, but no RPS system. You also don't lose experience on a hard fail.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

paco650 posted:

Was surprised to not find Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on the wiki. Anyone have any advice for this one in particular? Or even the sequel?

i've got some stuff from like a couple years ago give me a second to pull it up

e:

Fungah! posted:

Use an FAQ if you're anal-retentive about getting every character, some of them are totally non-intuitive

Skills will disappear if you take them off a character, so make sure you want them on there before you slap them on.

Hold onto coins if you want to play the Wii Fire Emblem after this

Always read all the conversations at camp, you can get items and neat bits of character backstory

Pretty minor character spoilers: Rolf is worth levelling up for sure, he's the best archer in the game. Misty is kind of eh, but there's a fight later where you need to use her later on

Even if you don't want to power-game, you need to know how level-ups work. Basically, every level you have a chance of a stat going up. That chance is totally character-dependant: Ike might have an 80% chance of strength going up each level, while for your mages it might be in the 30s. Every time a character gains a level, the RNG rolls once for every stat. If it succeeds, you get a point, if it fails you don't. You're guaranteed at least one stat point per level up if you're just hideously unlucky (and you will be at least once or twice). If you're lucky or the character's really good, you can potentially gain six or seven points.

Also, save most of your bonus experience for characters who come in late and are under-leveled (the two guys I mentioned a few lines ago). Only use it to level up a character when the character's only a few points away from 100

Save an Occult Scroll for Ike

e: Oh yeah, don't let Titania get most of your experience. She's actually kind of a lovely character, she just starts at a way higher level than everyone else. This also means she gets peanuts for experience compared to your lower-level dudes. There aren't any renewable ways to get experience, so you need to make it count

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 23, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Anything for Watch_Dogs? There are... a lot of skill unlocks. What's best to do first? Is money important to accumulate? Also, any weapon unlocks come highly recommended that you can do early on?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything for Oceanhorn on the PC? Like in particular, can I open up a level map somehow, so I can see something more useful than the little minimap?

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Kenny Logins posted:

Anything for Watch_Dogs? There are... a lot of skill unlocks. What's best to do first? Is money important to accumulate? Also, any weapon unlocks come highly recommended that you can do early on?

You can buy either a silenced pistol and shoot everyone in the head before they even know you're there to make the crappy game a cakewalk. Or you can buy a grenade launcher to blow everyone the gently caress up and make the crappy game a cakewalk. These are both immediately purchasable in any weapon shop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kenny Logins posted:

If you have to tail someone, watching them from street cameras is just as acceptable as tailing them in-person. If you're on a console, make sure you're online with PSN/XBL when you play so invasions can occur.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Count Chocula posted:

Skyrim left me cold, with its boring world and meaningless combat system. So I picked up Morrowind because of all the 'bad' things I heard about it.

What are the essential Fallout 1 & 2 mods? I've got the Fallout Collection on disc - is it easier just to buy it again on Steam?

Edit: Yep, the Steam version runs in high-res and already has mods installed. Same with Morrowind. Just set your monitor to its lowest resolution before running the game or you'll get an error message. You can crank it up in-game.

Fallout 1 has high-res patches if you're into that sort of thing. Fallout 2 is where the magic happens: you need a patch to re-enable children unless you have the US version (invisible by default) and then you want Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Project, which restores a metric poo poo-ton of cut content with no downside.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Kenny Logins posted:

I actually thought the game was pretty OK, typical Ubisoft "dickhead protagonist with holier-than-thou attitude" aside. I went for hacking and driving skills first, since there's few missions in the game that doesn't involve either. I never went out of my way to farm levels or anything but I had all the skills unlocked by the end.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Lacedaemonius posted:

Fallout 1 has high-res patches if you're into that sort of thing. Fallout 2 is where the magic happens: you need a patch to re-enable children unless you have the US version (invisible by default) and then you want Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Project, which restores a metric poo poo-ton of cut content with no downside.

As a corollary, if you're looking for a more vanilla FO2 experience, Killap also has the regular ol' absolutely essential Unofficial Patch without the restored content as well. Restoration Project is already bundled with the UO patch. You can grab either of them here.

Fallout 1 has hi-res and a semi-official patch up to 1.2, but I haven't heard of any mind-blowing mods for it.

Fungah! posted:

i've got some stuff from like a couple years ago give me a second to pull it up

e: Fire Emblem 9 stuff

Thanks! Glad to see the more things change in FE the more they stay the same.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

paco650 posted:

Thanks! Glad to see the more things change in FE the more they stay the same.
Titania is actually really good though, like easily on par with if not better than Oscar and Kieran :v: You just have to wait until she's about the same level or only slightly above most of your dudes to get the most out of her.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm really not getting the basics of combat in Pillars of Eternity. Is there something I'm missing that just doesn't click?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I'm really not getting the basics of combat in Pillars of Eternity. Is there something I'm missing that just doesn't click?

Crowd control is king

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Nohman posted:

You can buy either a silenced pistol and shoot everyone in the head before they even know you're there to make the crappy game a cakewalk. Or you can buy a grenade launcher to blow everyone the gently caress up and make the crappy game a cakewalk. These are both immediately purchasable in any weapon shop.

This is good advice

The only other skills I found worth purchasing were the ones that made driving better, the one that disabled helicopters (although the camera is such a piece of poo poo that it is really hard to work) and the ones that manipulate the game world in some way (bridges, etc.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Upgrade your batteries ASAP, and then your blackouts and tools and poo poo. Its been awhile since I've played, but it should be pretty clear to you pretty fast which skills are better than others. Having lots of battery so you can do lots of tricks allows you to get out of trouble easily.

And you can always just go capture those gang bases or whatever for extra skill points.

But honestly my advise is to go play a better game like GTA5 or sleeping dogs.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anything for King's Bounty: Dark Side? Recommended class, hints&tips, etc...

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sloober posted:

Crowd control is king

And Engagement is queen.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Kalenden posted:

The same things as always in King's Bounty apply - try to get troops that can summon, resurrect, or both, as that cuts down on your casualties significantly.

I didn't play the Demoness much, but the other two classes have absolutely batshit skills at the bottom of their trees. The Orc gets one that randomly doubles damage dealt, and the Vampire gets the ability to cast multiple times per turn.

Chaos Breath is a disgustingly overpowered spell. It randomly raises stats on friendly targets or lowers them on enemies, with more pronounced effects with higher Intellect. With the Vampire later on, Chaos Breath can reduce even the strongest creatures to single-digit health and attack/defense (as long as they're not immune to magic, anyway), making them trivially easy to massacre, and it can boost your creatures' by similarly ridiculous amounts (I saw upwards of 5k health at times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Kalenden posted:

- The beginning is frustrating (particularly for Warrior) with no resupplying, damage spells or rage abilities. It's still rough at spots, but gets easier later.
- Quicksave after every fight, the game crashes quite a bit and sometimes gets stuck on tactical screen on computer's turn
- Healing spells don't work, do not scribe them, instead you'll get Dark versions of them somewhat later. Save healing scrolls (Healing, Warded Healing, Life Light, Resurrection and one more I forgot) or at least make note of where they are sold, because you need three of them to make the dark version.
- Jealousy rage skill is pretty good, the converted troop attracts a lot of aggro
- There aren't a lot of dragons in the game, maybe 20 of each total -- try not to get yours killed. The third Orc rage ability helps protect them. Blood Priests have a sacrifice ability which lets you create more, or you may get lucky with Call of the Colossus overland spell
- You can mix races more freely without morale penalties than you did in previous games. Vampires and Elder Vampires in bat form were my go-to guys.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 24, 2015