Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Uthor posted:

Awful is the current forums app of choice.

Something is what I use. I prefer it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

vyst posted:

Something is what I use. I prefer it

Has Something been updated even close to recently? It was missing so many features when I last used it several months ago.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Has Something been updated even close to recently? It was missing so many features when I last used it several months ago.

The only thing I can't do is make new threads which I don't really care about. Oh you can't read PMs I think but whatever

I just prefer it's look and feel over awful

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You can read pm's with it, I use Something too. It could probably use some updates but I prefer it's UI over Awful.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Awful had an update not too long ago to change to a material UI so I switched back to it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nocal posted:

Google Play Music now has an ad-supported streaming radio feature. Supposedly live on the web (I haven't checked), and will be in an app update later this week.

The app update is out now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...e-apk-download/

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Oh that's pretty clever. But does that app have to be supporting TTS on an epub or will the kindle app work?
I don't know. You set speedread as your default TTS, then anything that uses the normal google TTS *should* work. I don't know if kindle uses the built in android TTS, or if it has its own. Its kinda annoying to switch the default back and forth if you use something like moto assist to read your text messages, which is why I never use it much. I need to set up some tasker toggles for this.

I would also be interested in anything you find out, spritz is pretty cool but I haven't dug into any further than playing with speedread for 5 minutes.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Do any of the other twitter apps let you color code users like Plume?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Since installing this, I'm not getting any album art in the notification shade. Anyone else?

Edit: only when it's expanded though. Huh

XIII fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 24, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's missing emotes and links to a post only go to the top of the page it's on. I greatly prefer Something too mainly because it doesn't look so... awful.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

eSporks posted:

I don't know. You set speedread as your default TTS, then anything that uses the normal google TTS *should* work. I don't know if kindle uses the built in android TTS, or if it has its own. Its kinda annoying to switch the default back and forth if you use something like moto assist to read your text messages, which is why I never use it much. I need to set up some tasker toggles for this.

I would also be interested in anything you find out, spritz is pretty cool but I haven't dug into any further than playing with speedread for 5 minutes.

I will explore and report back. Thanks!

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

nocal posted:

Google Play Music now has an ad-supported streaming radio feature. Supposedly live on the web (I haven't checked), and will be in an app update later this week.

I'm using it right now it isn't that bad. I see ads on the player but who stares at the player.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

b0nes posted:

I'm using it right now it isn't that bad. I see ads on the player but who stares at the player.

I used it earlier. I didn't hear any audio ads (maybe they' haven't sold any, or maybe there's not a big market for listeners of Death Blues?). It seemed fine.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Is foxfi still the best bet for tethering data?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

Is foxfi still the best bet for tethering data?

Are there still devices sold without native tethering?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know a good app for browsing hairstyles?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hairdroid

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got an app called Light Flow recently to solve a major nuisance with my S5.

When my S5 got updated to KitKat, it completely hosed up the notification system I was used to. I finally found a compromise I could live with using the priority-only mode, but that disables the notification light. Short of my wife calling me, the only notifications I ever want are by light -- no sound, no buzzing. (Oh and my alarm. Without priority-only set, turning off the ringer even disables the loving alarm.)

Light Flow not only overrides the bad firmware behaviour, but is extremely customisable: you can set up notifications for both apps and contacts, and set specific colours, speeds of flashing, etc. Hell, doesn't even have to be lights ... you can set ringtones and vibrations from it too.

I paid $2.50 for the premium version. There's a free one too, I'm not sure what it cuts out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Got an app called Light Flow recently to solve a major nuisance with my S5.

When my S5 got updated to KitKat, it completely hosed up the notification system I was used to. I finally found a compromise I could live with using the priority-only mode, but that disables the notification light. Short of my wife calling me, the only notifications I ever want are by light -- no sound, no buzzing. (Oh and my alarm. Without priority-only set, turning off the ringer even disables the loving alarm.)

Light Flow not only overrides the bad firmware behaviour, but is extremely customisable: you can set up notifications for both apps and contacts, and set specific colours, speeds of flashing, etc. Hell, doesn't even have to be lights ... you can set ringtones and vibrations from it too.

I paid $2.50 for the premium version. There's a free one too, I'm not sure what it cuts out.

For any device with a notification light, Light Flow is a must. It's ludicrous that Google has included a multicolor LED in every Nexus device except the Nexus S (and now, if you're stock, the 6) and has never included any way for the user to get anything but a white light very infrequently for notifications. Oddly enough they even included the ability for apps to specify their notification color way back in Froyo and never made use of it for themselves. As far as I know only Twitter ever used it to make the LED a shade of blue and I think they ended up dropping it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The problem is that lightflow simply doesn't work half the time, and crashes the other half. I've used it on 3 different devices and it's always been incredibly unreliable.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hm, it's been working for me for a few days. Initially though I hosed around with all the settings, to do with whether it's active, background, takes up a notification slot, etc. I don't think it worked for me as a background app, but seems fine 'active'.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

The problem is that lightflow simply doesn't work half the time, and crashes the other half. I've used it on 3 different devices and it's always been incredibly unreliable.

I've never had any problems at all with the exception of it not working the first time after boot under Lollipop. Unlocking the device with a notification pending fixes it until I reboot. I've never ever seen it crash. This is on Nexus devices from the Galaxy Nexus onward through the 6 with root.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LastInLine posted:

Are there still devices sold without native tethering?

I'm guessing this is for plans without it included.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just noticed a new PBS app is out with chromecast functionality.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...%3Dpbs_anywhere

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Now that Circa's dead, does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? I liked being able to follow stories, and I liked that it was straight-forward and didn't try to editorialize.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Now that Circa's dead, does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? I liked being able to follow stories, and I liked that it was straight-forward and didn't try to editorialize.

Son of a bitch. Circa was the best.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Any recommendations for a dialer (and possibly contact) app for those of us with lovely phones.

Getting really sick of the gingerbread looking default on my G3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

For the uninitiated, what was it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

I know :(

LastInLine posted:

For the uninitiated, what was it?

It was sort of an aggregator, but they synthesized stories from various sources, so you'd only have one story about a particular new item, rather than say Play Newsstand (which I'm trying now as a replacement), where you might get multiple sources writing about the same story. Also, there were no more than a dozen stories a day, so it was really easy to keep on top of. They also sourced their stories and you could follow a story to get more updates on it as it developed (e.g. gay marriage).

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

My only gripe was that at times the articles felt like Simple English Wikipedia, but it was the only place I knew of that gave you the straight dope concisely across all topics, with the ability to follow topics to boot. RIP.

For an editorial on why the non-editorial news source failed, see this, which fails to recognize the notion that what the masses want is not necessarily what they need, and providing the latter doesn't make you terrible. Just idealistic.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 25, 2015

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

dissss posted:

Any recommendations for a dialer (and possibly contact) app for those of us with lovely phones.

Getting really sick of the gingerbread looking default on my G3
Facebook's Hello is decent looking but I haven't used it myself. I wish Google would put their dialer on the Play Store.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
And also put a lot of their dialer's features into Hangouts.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

I don't know how well the old News and Weather (geniewidget) app matches up with your idea (it merely collects and categorizes them the same way as news.google.com does rather than synthesizing them - since it basically is Google News in app form) but it's back on the Play Store with Material cards and Daydream support.

Actual synthesis might be hard to find.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, what are some good browser alternatives? Chrome is suddenly crashing all the time, and I'd look it up myself if Chrome weren't crashing all the time.. I don't need it to sync with another computer or a device or anything complicated, just something that will, like, display web pages.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Hey, what are some good browser alternatives? Chrome is suddenly crashing all the time, and I'd look it up myself if Chrome weren't crashing all the time.. I don't need it to sync with another computer or a device or anything complicated, just something that will, like, display web pages.

Did you try to fix chrome? Clear the app data.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yes, that was the first thing I tried, it didn't help at all.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Yes, that was the first thing I tried, it didn't help at all.

Chrome Beta.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone on Comcast experience slow speeds on their devices? I thought it was a consequence of being rooted, but my spare Android phone (G4) is experiencing the same thing. It's incredibly slow when doing anything that requires connection and sometimes doesn't load at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone on Comcast experience slow speeds on their devices? I thought it was a consequence of being rooted, but my spare Android phone (G4) is experiencing the same thing. It's incredibly slow when doing anything that requires connection and sometimes doesn't load at all.

Does anyone on Comcast even approach the speeds they pay for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Is it happening when you try to scroll before a page finishes loading? I've noticed that recently too, only seems to affect certain sites. Chrome Beta also does it.

• Locked thread