Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Really we should just plan on being buried for a while down here. A fight with what I imagine was a lesser demon than this threatened to collapse a completely rock cave. Any fight is going to completely collapse our make shift mine shaft. Don't waste any time and energy trying to prevent it. Just make sure there are enough left up top to dig us out. It also means no reinforcements in a timely manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:siren: Link to Update

BoneMonkeys Post-History

Come join us in IRC! #madgod on synirc.net - The topic of the day is kitchens.
Direct Mibbit Link

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 24, 2015

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Basscop posted:

These demons have been down here for exactly many-many-lots of centuries.

This is probably the first time they have moved in forever?

They are obviously warming up/stretching for a fight. Lets get them while their hips are stiff

Maybe that's why this one's screaming so bad? :v:

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

B sounds good right about now

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Actually - are the presences moving up and down together, in concert? Or just scattershot? I do wonder if that's going to escalate into an attempt to quake the hole or stairs closed, whatever they are.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Harvey Baldman posted:

Actually - are the presences moving up and down together, in concert? Or just scattershot? I do wonder if that's going to escalate into an attempt to quake the hole or stairs closed, whatever they are.

Maybe the bad guys are played by another forum.

Diog: "You sense a terrifically powerful presence above, a number of smaller ones go with it. They're broken through the shield dome!"

Other forum: "Engage the enemy more closely."

Diog: "There is a great chasm that is too wide for you to jump, you hope the invader can't jump it either but from the feel this is what the humans called a "Mighty Man" A being of pure, destructive power and it is here, now."

Other Forum: "OH poo poo! gently caress. Ok, Get "Screams good" to distract them while the rest of us jump up and down and try to collapse the cavern."
'What, with us in it?'
'Yes! There's no time!'
'Preemptively calling this 'Jumpgate''
'Whatever, jump!'

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ouroborus posted:

Diog: "You sense a terrifically powerful presence above, a number of smaller ones go with it. They're broken through the shield dome!"

Diog: "There is a great chasm that is too wide for you to jump, you hope the invader can't jump it either but from the feel this is what the humans called a "Mighty Man" A being of pure, destructive power and it is here, now."

Other Forum: "OH poo poo! gently caress. Ok, Get "Screams good" to distract them while the rest of us jump up and down and try to collapse the cavern."
'What, with us in it?'
'Yes! There's no time!'
'Whatever, jump!'

Makes sense that the Capybaras would have their own forums.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Task Manager posted:

It's fairly tough for us to gauge threat levels as well (which does seem to be a conscious choice on the part of our GM), since just about everything which is fairly nasty is rated on a scale of "Nightmare fuel" to "Indescribable Horror".

Does this scary picture mean we are going to die more than that scary picture? It's not surprising we've been gun shy when facing things, when we have no great indication of how deadly something is besides "It's pretty scary." I am glad to see we finally seem to just be going for it here - thats what it's going to take for us to have a better gauge on what's manageable and what's run away on sight.

Like, for example - Diog, without trying to refocus on the presences, which presence felt worse - the one running up the stairs, or the ones doing calisthenics down below?
The one... COMING TO GET YOU!

Imperialist Dog posted:

Throw torches at the demon and then throw Uriah at it.

Also, the necklace thing is going to have anti demon powers somehow.

Diog, is the pendant or necklace or whatever we took from Skeletor reacting to the demon? Say, with the holy pure power of El?
It has the Holy Power of A Clay Ball Which Looks Like Paint Wore Off Partially From Time Or Maybe Moisture or Both.  Which is to say, some more of the paint flaked off when you picked it up.

Slightly Lions posted:

F, but if nothing changes, D.

I am really feeling antsy about this, especially since we just found out about a vast entity beneath the earth that is constantly watching us, and may now know that we know about it.

Diog, how long do we think it would take to evacuate the Balls from this hole? Is there anything we can do to speed that process up for a hasty retreat? I want to be able to bolt if things go bad.
A few minutes.

Tomn posted:

I'm not entirely sure what to do here, but...two legged being, feels extremely wrong, trapped beneath a godshield in the ruins of an ancient city?  You guys think we might be dealing with something not unlike ourselves what gave in to the hunger?

Also interesting that it came STRAIGHT at us.  A perfectly placed staircase/corridor, or something else?

Diog, from the sound, was it doing anything other than walking - i.e. climbing, digging, etc?

Can we hear anything else down there besides the demon walking?
1.  Running at you and screaming.

2.  You hear distant and occasional drips of water.  Otherwise, no.  Beside your Balls yelling threats, battle cries or jokes to each other.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 24, 2015

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

:lol: BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA

quote:

It has the Holy Power of A Clay Ball Which Looks Like Paint Wore Off Partially From Time Or Maybe Moisture or Both.  Which is to say, some more of the paint flaked off when you picked it up.

Say.... does it look anything like the clay balls Indor had in her shop that caused an explosion?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Ouroborus posted:

'What, with us in it?'
'Yes! There's no time!'
'Whatever, jump!'

:golfclap:

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Diogines posted:

Order our Balls to hide under the covers. Let's see this thing try and tear through our safety blanket.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am going to laugh so hard if this terrifying presence is just a really cool, chill undead king and his people who some other monsters cursed and locked away for many-lots time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Order our Balls to hide under the covers. Let's see this thing try and tear through our safety blanket.

Things are not yet so dire. The night light is with us.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
When the undead twisted demonic once-human finally rounds the top of this spiral staircase, throw a blanket over it!

And then stab it.

And then ROAST IT AND EAT IT

for the glory of El

Do not forget that El sends demons to test us. Do we run away, or do we feast?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I dunno that anyone is debating fighting the dude.

Just whether...ya know...fighting it someplace other than a half-assedly constructed cavern with one torch might be a good call.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Question: Is there a reason why we're voting to advance WITH the Balls to see what's up? I have my doubts about the wisdom of leaving a good (and known) defensive position to blunder down towards an unknown threat in an unknown area with an unknown layout. Wouldn't some kind of scouting make more sense? Voting D, by the way.

Also, come to think of it, some folks have speculated that this thing, and the other Presences, isn't coming on because of a big ol' chasm of some kind. What do you guys want to bet that the Mighty Corpse pulled a "You Shall Not Pass!" dealie and broke a bridge or staircase behind him specifically to trap the demons in the dark?

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Ouroborus posted:

'What, with us in it?'
'Yes! There's no time!'
'Whatever, jump!'

I really want this to be true.

B, btw

Also, zombie demon things are totally doing Russian squat dances, duh.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Then at least we can go take a safe look.

If we see a city of extremely angry skeletons and zombies screaming for our flesh then yeah, we can go out.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Hm. Come to think of it, continual movement up and down...could be the result of wave motion, either because the Presences are atop a pool of water or more likely, because they're hanging off a rope or something. A group of ritually hanged Mighty Men that's been set in motion by the movements of the big bad?

Diog, is there any pattern we can discern to the layout of the smaller, bobbing Presences?

For that matter, can we sense any pattern to their movement, i.e. a wave of motion from one Presence to another, or something like?

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

D

Scout ahead a bit.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Tomn posted:

Question: Is there a reason why we're voting to advance WITH the Balls to see what's up? I have my doubts about the wisdom of leaving a good (and known) defensive position to blunder down towards an unknown threat in an unknown area with an unknown layout. Wouldn't some kind of scouting make more sense? Voting D, by the way.

Also, come to think of it, some folks have speculated that this thing, and the other Presences, isn't coming on because of a big ol' chasm of some kind. What do you guys want to bet that the Mighty Corpse pulled a "You Shall Not Pass!" dealie and broke a bridge or staircase behind him specifically to trap the demons in the dark?

The guy was not mighty in any meaningful way, seven foot tall and five fingers.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Diogines posted:

El damnit. There is something DEEPLY wrong about whatever the El this thing is. Its Presence is not overwhelming, whatever it is, you are reasonably sure you are not facing something as powerful as Tudiya or the Doom of Tanaach, but trying to focus upon it is DEEPLY unsettling. You should leave. It is getting closer. Your Balls heft their shields up. You can hear its rhythm, whatever this thing is, it is definitely on two legs. From what bits you can feel from your ability to detect Presences, it seems to be coming in a straight line? You grabbed the necklace and ring from the skeleton and placed them in a belt on your waste, doing your best not to overly disturb the bones. Your Balls seemed a little disturbed at the corpse, Paebel hazarding "Maybe it was a demon slave?" Asahel says "Maybe there was a revolt?" Obviously it is not one of Zepa's or Labaras's sons, the corpse is far too small and there are too few fingers. The armor, to your men at least, is obviously from your civilization, even if it looks... a bit different.

You hear a terrifying scream come from the darkness below!

To which your Balls shout back "EEEELLLLLLL!"

The Presence is getting closer... it is almost below you...

The ghastly screaming continues. Each sound is like plucking a string upon your soul. Your Balls seem unaffected or at least not unerved at all, they look ready to beat a demon to death.

Yet the thing gets no closer. The ghastly screaming continues... somewhere below you. You feel it about a hundred paces below you? Maybe a bit further? You can feel some of the other Presences moving now... moving up and down. Up and down. Up and down. None of them seem to be getting any closer... simply moving up and down where they are. Trying to focus on any of them-

-causes your heart to feel like it may skip a beat. Continuing to try to sense for Presences is HIGHLY unsettling, you should probably stop unless you think you would enjoy a heart attack.

The thing has... stopped moving, yet still lets out its unholy shrieking, like a tortured thing on fire, yet undying. You yell your men "Come on brothers! Can you not hear its fear of us? The battle is nearly done! Advance!" This gets a cheer from your Balls as you jog down the steep stone stairs and your men give a shout of "EEELLL!" or "KAVODEL!"

On your run down the flights of stairs you pass other corpses on the way down, bones which have long sat still. None are armored, some are obviously small enough to be children, others, it is unclear, maybe women?

You are busy leading a charge down a staircase. You and your Balls avoid them as best you can but are not entirely successful and some crunch beneath the sandals. Round and round you go down the flights of stairs, the shrieking growing closer each moment. You round a corner and you see your foe!

The shape of a man... barely, its flesh disfigured and lifeless, its eyes empty and hollow, claws where its fingers and toes should be, its mouth disfigured and turn to daggers. Why this horror did not climb the stairs is unclear, what is clear is its immense strength as it LEAPS on top of you, in the middle of your formation! Your Balls stab spears into it, their shafts breaking on its flesh without effect and a moment later you are barreled over on your back and at least one of your two Balls behind you by the force of this monstrosity!

As you rise to your feet you hear the CRUNCH of bronze snapping and hear an ear piercing cry of AGONY a foot away as someone cries out "ENKIDEEAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!!!!!" and terror STRIKES AT YOUR SOUL! Sibbekai has been with you since your first goblin hunt, once a farmer and now a landlord in Kavodel. He has been beside you in every battle and grown great in your service. His fine and expensive breastplate has been split asunder and his throat torn out, you see a blue vapor spill out among the blood and into this horrors greedy mouth!

KASHAL!

Uriah yells... something as he smashes down at the creatures back HARD with his fists, you feel the power of his word and see this monstrosity sinks to the floor! The strength of that blow should have shattered stone and flesh alike, more spears thrust into the back of this monstrosity and shatter as if it were made of stone. The creature looks entirely unharmed and is already rising back to its feet. You hear a CRACK as one of your men smash their sword into this demons neck with such force that the blade breaks off at the hilt. Back on your feet and one of your Balls dying, dead or possible... worse, you smash into the creature as HARD as you can with your shield! You drive the creature down the last of the stairs and into the landing beyond, a large hallway. The creature tries to slash at you but you have lifted it off the ground entirely with your shield, such was the force of your blow and you SMASH it into a stone wall, splinters CRACKING along its surface from your blow!

You are in a large underground chamber, the ceiling is about thirty feet tall. The chamber is long, hundreds, possibly a few thousand feet long, going on and on. You see large evenly spaced doorways line the end of the hallway, each look to be sealed with giant stone blocks, square, twenty feet on a side. There are probably other details which may be of note but you are a LITTLE distracted as this horror which you have pinned to the wall pushes back and knocks you off it with a vicious blow!

BUT YOU ARE NOT DONE YET!

You SMASH your shield into its chest again HARD! Nahari has pinned its left arm with his shield and Ithma its right, the three of you can BARELY keep this thing pinned against the wall as Uriah SMASHES the thing in the face with his fists, its head CRACKING against the wall behind it and CRACKING the stone as well! Somewhere behind you, you are vaguely aware that Paebel is tending to the dead or dying Sibbekai, yet it is hopeless. You struggle to keep this monstrosity pinned as it struggles, kicks and snaps at you and your men. Blow after blow after blow, blood flies off of Uriah's fists, his own. He knows the "Mighty" ability to harden, which he seems to be using on his fists at this moment. Tudiya would probably be proud, if he did not dislike Uriah anyway. Nahari and Ithma can also harden their weapons, they learned to do so from their Mighty Men relatives. This horror you face does not seem deterred in the slightest from Uriah's assault, enough to turn a boulder to gravel, this demons accursed and unnatural flesh shows not the least bit of injury, nor has the fury of its struggle deceased at all. You do not see any other of these... things and there are no other obvious threats at this moment but you are a LITTLE distracted and focusing on keeping this thing from killing you. This thing is immensely unnatural and every instinct you have for self preservation tells you to run for your life! The shrieking, the terrible shrieking from this creature has not ceased! Twelve... like terrible daggers, this thing has six on each hand!

1. You...
A. "URIAH! KEEP AT IT!" Uriah should keep bashing this thing in the face, give it time!

B. "BALLS! RETREAT!" Order EVERYONE else to retreat, you will try to keep this thing pinned while your men escape.

C. "BALLS! RETREAT! Brothers, buy them time!" Order everyone EXCEPT Uriah, Ithma and Nahari, you'll keep fighting.

D. "KEEP AT IT BROTHERS! The rest of you, find SOMETHING! Search!" The three of you will keep this thing pinned while Uriah whails on it, your other Balls will search the area for some clue on how to kill this thing, or otherwise search for SOMETHING which might help you!

E. "MOVE IT!" The four of you will try to ram this thing down the long hallway, hoping to find some natural obstacle like a hole to dump it in, or maybe a giant stone you can use to pin it!?!

F. "URIAH! LIGHT IT UP!" Uriah can breathe fire. Order him to do so, at this thing. It is taking the strength of you and your Mighty Men to keep this thing pinned. None of you are fire proof. Prepare to be torched.
G. F. ...actually ...one of you may be fire proof.... briefly. Maybe. You. Ishamal has taught you how to prevent injury to your body by use of Water from your Well. This is the most costly ability you can... somewhat invoke. Your ability to use it is far from mastered and requires intense concentration. You have never tried to use it in real danger before. If you suceed, a large amount of Water will be lost.

H. "PAEBEL! Stab it!" Paebel has a charm he bought from Indor many years ago from Indor. Jobe has one too. It is a tiny copper knife styled like a greatsword. Indor said it would "scare away the least of demons, if your faith is true. If it is not, it is useless." Whether or not you think these things actually work? Who can say. This requires Paebel getting close enough to touch the thing, a kick from this thing will probably cripple Paebel.

I. RUN IN TEROR! RUN! RUN! Abandon our Balls and run for your life!

J. "URIAH! HOLD IT! I'LL BE BACK!" Tell Uriah to take your place. The hallway is lined with doorways which look to be sealed with giant stone blocks, twenty feet on a side. Try to pull one out and then dump it atop the creature!
K. J., but send Uriah to do it. Or try to. They look pretty heavy.

L. PANIC! Probably appropriate under the circumstances!

M. Something else. Fill in.

N. Give Uriah your shield to smash it in the face instead!

O. Tell Uriah to hold it, you will smash it in the face with your shield instead!

P. Tell Uriah to try to melt just its head with fire. You, Nahari and Ithma will turn your heads as best you can, your exposed flesh will still be scorched.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 25, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
A + everyone chanting the El Melek line

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
M: :unsmigghh:
Unhinge our jaw. Swallow it whole.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -