Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Rondette posted:

Thanks to whoever linked the Thinking Sideways podcasts (about the two Dutch girls in the jungle), I have been going through the archives and it's an absolute trove of strange and creepy stories.

http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/

I hadn't heard of this, but I'm finding the "Morning Zoo" style to be really at odds with the subject matter. The tone is like "How did this get made?" or something like that, with a bunch of snark and people talking over each other and doing stupid voices and stuff. Did I just catch a bum episode or are they all like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zombie Raptor posted:

However, there's quite a few more truly disturbing and otherwise bizarre events in the history of Norway's black metal scene. The aforementioned late Øystein 'Euronymous' Aarseth was not the first member of Mayhem to die violently. A couple of years before, his bandmate, Per "Dead" Ohlin, decided to make his moniker into a self-fulfilling prophecy. And he wanted to make drat sure he did it, too, because after slashing his wrists, he blew his head off with a shotgun. That along is tragic and an unpleasant mental image, but the part that gets disturbing is what ol' Euronymous decided to do when he found Dead dead. He went and grabbed a disposable camera and snapped some pictures of Dead's corpse, one of which wound up stolen and tactfully used as the cover art for a live bootleg album that the band has since 'officially' endorsed, because if "Tasteful" isn't the middle name of the Norwegian black metal game, then it's "Classy." More disturbing is the rumor, perpetuated by Euronymous himself (well, for a while, anyway), that he also collected some of Dead's scattered-about brain matter and ate it. Frankly, no one really knew the truth about that matter but him, and I heard somewhere that "dead men tell no tales." I don't remember where, though. I think it might have been the Bible.

I remember watching some metal documentary some years ago (I think it was A Headbanger's Journey) where the host interviewed a couple of hosed up Swedish metal band members. Before showing the interview the narration gave the warning "This is going to be... weird"

They were pretty unintelligible and it was difficult to get straight answers out of them. Overall they were really weird people. They were all wearing necklaces with irregular white pendants on them, so the interviewer asked about it. They were shards of a former member's skull. After he blew his brains out the other members took pieces of his brain case as mementos.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Mak0rz posted:

They were pretty unintelligible and it was difficult to get straight answers out of them. Overall they were really weird people. They were all wearing necklaces with irregular white pendants on them, so the interviewer asked about it. They were shards of a former member's skull. After he blew his brains out the other members took pieces of his brain case as mementos.
Pretty sure that's the same dude and same suicide as above, Per "Dead" Ohlin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_%22Dead%22_Ohlin

Wikipedia posted:

During one tour with Mayhem, he found a dead crow and kept it in a plastic bag. He often carried it about with him and would smell the bird before going onstage, to sing "with the stench of death in his nostrils". He also kept dead birds under his bed.

Dead posted:

"Before we began to play there was a crowd of about 300 in there, but in the second song 'Necro Lust' we began to throw around those pig heads. Only 50 were left, I liked that! [...] We wanna scare those [who] shouldn't be at our concerts and they will have to escape through the emergency exit with parts of their body missing, so we can have something to throw around. [...] If someone doesn't like blood and rotten flesh thrown in their face they can gently caress OFF, and that's exactly what they do."

Wikipedia posted:

Before calling the police, he allegedly went to a shop and bought a disposable camera with which he photographed the body, after re-arranging some items. In time, rumors spread that Euronymous had made a stew with bits of Dead's brain and had made necklaces with bits of his skull. The band later denied the former rumor, but confirmed that the latter was true.

Dead's suicide note posted:

Excuse the blood, but I have slit my wrists and neck. It was the intention that I would die in the woods so that it would take a few days before I was possibly found. I belong in the woods and have always done so. No one will understand the reason for this anyway. To give some semblance of an explanation I'm not a human, this is just a dream and soon I will awake. It was too cold and the blood was coagulating all the time, plus my new knife is too dull. If I don't succeed dying to the knife I will blow all the poo poo out of my skull. Yet I do not know. I left all my lyrics by "Let the good times roll"—plus the rest of the money. Whoever finds it gets the loving thing. As a last salutation may I present "Life Eternal". Do whatever you want with the loving thing. / Pelle.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

pookel posted:

Pretty sure that's the same dude and same suicide as above, Per "Dead" Ohlin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_%22Dead%22_Ohlin

Yeah that sounds like them. Could have sworn they were Swedish, though.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
If you want a good look at crazy metal musicians, the documentary "until the light takes us" is an interesting watch.

Wikipedia posted:

Featured interviewees

Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell (Darkthrone)
Varg "Count Grishnackh" Vikernes (Burzum)
Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg (Mayhem)
Olve "Abbath" Eikemo (Immortal)
Harald "Demonaz" Nævdal (Immortal)
Bjarne Melgaard (visual artist)
Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg (Ulver, Arcturus)
Kjetil "Frost" Haraldstad (Satyricon, 1349, Keep of Kalessin)
Bård "Faust" Eithun (Emperor) – Eithun chose to appear as a silhouette, with his voice distorted

There's a documentary that Vice put out about true Norwegian black metal (which I believe is actually called True Norwegian Black Metal) - it's a five piece series that includes interviews with Gaahl of Gorgoroth, amongst others. It includes my favorite question and answer of all time:

http://youtu.be/puwllq0fBLs

transcript posted:

Interviewer: what is the primary ideology or primary ideas that fuel Gorgoroth's music?

Gaahl: (waits several beats) Satan. (Takes a drink)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This is the best thing about Gaahl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaahl

quote:

In July 2008, Gaahl revealed in an online interview that he was involved in the creation of Wynjo, an upcoming fashion collection for women, together with Norwegian modeling agent Dan De Vero and designer Sonja Wu.[10][11] At the same time, it was also revealed that he and De Vero had had a "close relationship" since 2006. It was stated that they were no longer a couple but remained good friends. In an interview for the November 2008 issue of Rock Hard, Gaahl confirmed his homosexuality.

From the Talk section:

quote:

A Norwegian article from NRK similarly presents Gaahl's homosexuality without actually using any specific terms such as gay or homosexual. The title in translation reads "Metal star Hails Open Gaahl" and quotes Dani Filth of Cradle Of Filth who says: "I mean, I don't give a drat whether he likes men. But this isn't just some man. It is a fashion designer, and they make summer dresses for women together. The world's most evil guy is designing summer apparel for models in Oslo. It doesn't get much more hilarious than that. Totally hysterical! I actually have great respect for this."

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
So I guess these Norwegian Black Metal guys didn't quite get that Ozzy & Judas Priest and all the first generation of metal guys were just doing the "Satanic Evil!!!" thing as a marketing gimmick? (And because it's fun to be a transgressive rock star and freak out your fans' parents.)

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

Chicken Butt posted:

So I guess these Norwegian Black Metal guys didn't quite get that Ozzy & Judas Priest and all the first generation of metal guys were just doing the "Satanic Evil!!!" thing as a marketing gimmick? (And because it's fun to be a transgressive rock star and freak out your fans' parents.)

I think they completely got it, thought it was some fake bullshit that they were going to do the right way, something like that. So they start a band.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the reason Metalocalpyse works so well is that it takes all the stupidity of Black Metal and just amps it up to 11.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I remember reading somewhere that Fenriz thinks it's hilarious how seriously black metal fanboys take the whole thing, and likes to rock up to their hangout bars blasting eurotrash music and wearing neon pink skinny jeans.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

wyntyr posted:

There's a documentary that Vice put out about true Norwegian black metal (which I believe is actually called True Norwegian Black Metal) - it's a five piece series that includes interviews with Gaahl of Gorgoroth, amongst others.
Seconding this recommendation. It also involves some truly spectacular Tolkien-y Norwegian scenery, which is scary and unnerving only because it's so ominous and awesome.

full docu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32iX5lbVDto

spite house has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Jun 24, 2015

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
*wrong thread*

But for content and on the more weird side of things

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Reich

Started out as an essentially Freudian psychoanalyst, ended up as a dude who thought energy boxes could cure cancer and that earth was under attack from energy UFOs.

Classic Comrade has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Jun 24, 2015

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/06/23/residents-say-they-fled-after-being-watched-in-westfield-n-j-home/

quote:

Since moving in, the owners said they have received numerous letters from the mysterious person. “The Watcher” claimed the home “has been the subject of my family for decades,” and “I have been put in charge of watching and waiting for its second coming,” Castro reported.

The new owners have several children, and other letters asked, “Have they found out what’s in the walls yet?” and “I am pleased to know your names now, and the name of the young blood you have brought to me,” Castro reported.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I hadn't heard of this, but I'm finding the "Morning Zoo" style to be really at odds with the subject matter. The tone is like "How did this get made?" or something like that, with a bunch of snark and people talking over each other and doing stupid voices and stuff. Did I just catch a bum episode or are they all like that?

That's more The Dollop than Thinking Sideways, but TS has a casual style, although I don't recollect stupid voices. The mild levity helps the grimmer topics and the sometime humourless tone debunking can have.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Time to move! :stare:

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

outlier posted:

That's more The Dollop than Thinking Sideways, but TS has a casual style, although I don't recollect stupid voices. The mild levity helps the grimmer topics and the sometime humourless tone debunking can have.

I was confused earlier, because I thought TS was one of the conspiracy theory podcasts – if TS is into straight-up debunking the dumber theories and coming out with the likely scenarios, I'm gonna love the hell out of it.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

wyntyr posted:

If you want a good look at crazy metal musicians, the documentary "until the light takes us" is an interesting watch.

There's a documentary that Vice put out about true Norwegian black metal (which I believe is actually called True Norwegian Black Metal) - it's a five piece series that includes interviews with Gaahl of Gorgoroth, amongst others. It includes my favorite question and answer of all time:

http://youtu.be/puwllq0fBLs

Until The Light Takes Us is good, another one that focuses on Mayhem and a few other bands is Once Upon a Time in Norway.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Alain Perdrix posted:

I was confused earlier, because I thought TS was one of the conspiracy theory podcasts – if TS is into straight-up debunking the dumber theories and coming out with the likely scenarios, I'm gonna love the hell out of it.

Yeah it is more like that. They go through the more (you might say) mundane scenarios and it is all done with pretty clear eyes. That doesn't stop them taking the piss out of aliens and chupacabras theories.

They have covered some great topics I had never heard before too, like the immortal Count of St.Germain

http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/the-count-st-germain/

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Karma Monkey posted:

Time to move! :stare:

I'm mad they moved before checking what's in the walls. What IS in the walls, dammit.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

spite house posted:

Seconding this recommendation. It also involves some truly spectacular Tolkien-y Norwegian scenery, which is scary and unnerving only because it's so ominous and awesome.

full docu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32iX5lbVDto

The two other documentaries posted here are good—Until The Light Takes Us and Once Upon A Time In Norway. The VICE one, however, is pretty poorly researched and—to my mind—deliberately chooses not to go into the motivations of the black metal musicians/artists overmuch.

It also contains this pinnacle of journalistic accuracy, which kind of sums up VICE as a whole.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

making GBS threads hell. Family moves into new home, starts getting letters from "The Watcher".

http://gawker.com/couple-flees-1-3-million-dream-home-after-threats-from-1713646299

A maniac posted:

“I have been put in charge of watching and waiting for its second coming,”

“I am pleased to know your names now, and the name of the young blood you have brought to me,”

“Have they found out what’s in the walls yet?”

Apparently this house has been "watched" for three generations.

EDIT: EIGHT POSTS ABOVE YOU, rear end in a top hat

Flint_Paper has a new favorite as of 12:03 on Jun 25, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

"Have they found out what's in the walls yet?" is such a wonderfully sinister thing to receive.

It's like the psycho-stalker equivalent of the numbered pigs prank.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Flint_Paper posted:

making GBS threads hell. Family moves into new home, starts getting letters from "The Watcher".

http://gawker.com/couple-flees-1-3-million-dream-home-after-threats-from-1713646299

Apparently this house has been "watched" for three generations.

99% chance this is just some kids being dicks?

Dat 1% tho... :ohdear:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chicken Butt posted:

Basically the long and short of it is that post WWII Scandinavia wen't through many years of extremely liberal politics while still maintaining an adherence to typically Scandinavian love of being soft spoken, unobtrusive and ordered. By the time the 80's rolled around all the black metal stuff was heavily reactionary to the Scandinavia of those people's childhood. So they rebelled by embracing neo paganism, Odinism and Stanism. They started making and listening to loud music that didn't make sense, was generally grating and wen't against the trends of popular music at the time (insipid folk ballad influenced pop music and eurodisco). And in many cases wen't full force into the whole Nazi/Aryan/racism thing because it was considered such a great evil by the establishment of the time. The reason it got so, well, weird as compared to stuff like the rise of racist skinheads in Britain is because, at the time, there wasn't the sort of class struggle problems at catalyzed racists in the UK. Income disparity was low, employment was high, you basically never saw immigrants outside of major cities and most of them were white people from other prosperous countries. The liberal political climate meant that even when people disapproved of their choices they didn't have to deal with the man trying to break up their groups or declare them gangs and stuff like that. And so without actual targets for violence (ie no immigrants to beat up or rival gangs, a wide range of ideals in their scene (most black metal musicians weren't racists, others just believed in racial superiority concepts or psuedo racist ideology and more importantly they lacked organized groups like National Front to codify ideals) they got into poo poo like esoteric mysticism, and church burning.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Someone should buy the house and demolish it to see what happens.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Telsa Cola posted:

Sounds like a goon project to me.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

99% chance this is just some kids being dicks?

Dat 1% tho... :ohdear:

I'm guessing there's a pretty decent chance they made it up themselves to get out of a house they don't want anymore. That would be pretty creative though.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Telsa Cola posted:

Someone start the GoFundMe page, quick.

No bullshit, I bet good money someone could raise the whole amount to buy the house outright.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Inside the walls is a safe

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Inside the walls is nothing.
The stalkers are actually a local wall cavity filler employing a new marketing tactic.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I'm guessing there's a pretty decent chance they made it up themselves to get out of a house they don't want anymore. That would be pretty creative though.

Alternate theory: the stalkers really want to buy the house and are trying to drive the price down by making people think it's haunted.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

pookel posted:

Alternate theory: the stalkers really want to buy the house and are trying to drive the price down by making people think it's haunted.

I know just the crew for a job like this:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AKA Pseudonym posted:

which would make sense but if you're doing that I doubt you'd file a lawsuit against the previous owners for not disclosing that information. That's just asking to be found out.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
That's basically what the Lutz family did with the Amityville house. Made a bunch of poo poo up to sell a book deal, sold the house, and hosed off with the money.

The only problem the subsequent owners had with the house was the lookie loos constantly trespassing to see the horror house. The town had to change the house's street number it was such a problem. It's also been renovated and now has white siding and the quarter circle windows are gone.

They even hosted parties with local paranormal enthusiasts and investigators, even they agreed there's nothing weird there. And these are people really want ghosts to be real.

pienipple has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Jun 25, 2015

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Imperialist Dog posted:

Inside the walls is a safe an odd looking figurine.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I did my own investigation and discovered this horrifying figurine in the walls.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Chicken Butt posted:

I did my own investigation and discovered this horrifying figurine in the walls.

This was in the bathroom wall.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
(Short post this time before I go on duty, just to finish up the murders themselves. Next time we’ll start diving into the circumstances that led to the arrest of Carlton Gary, then his trial, then what we’ve discovered since… so if I plan this right, maybe three more posts? Probably more.)

Six women lay dead at the hands of a serial strangler. Another serial killer strikes. The city is thick with racial hatred, tension, and flat out fear. It’s time for
Stocking Stranglings Part VIII: I wonder if I’ll ever finish writing posts about this case

The Stocking Strangler was unusually active on February 11th, and when the Forces of Evil came forward on March 1st, the whole of the city was in a silent panic. The police were combing the city for any evidence that would definitively point to one man, anything beyond the short-and-curlies that the coroner had so prematurely labeled “Negroid”. No such lead seemed to be coming, and the Strangler had entered one of his periods of silence. Let us review:

Victim #1, Ferne Jackson, was murdered on September 16, 1977. She had been beaten, raped (no sperm found in the body, but it was found on her sheets), and killed via strangulation with a stocking as the weapon.

Victim #2, Jean Dimenstein, was murdered on September 25, 1977. Beaten, raped, strangled with a stocking. As with Ferne Jackson, her car was stolen but valuable jewelry was left at the scene on her body.

Victim #3, Florence Scheible, was murdered on October 21, 1977. She was beaten, raped, strangled with a stocking – unlike the previous two murders, her attacker killed her in the middle of the day.

Victim #4, Martha Thurmond, was murdered on October 25, 1977. She was beaten, raped, strangled with a stocking, and like Florence Scheible, she was murdered in the middle of the day.

Victim #5, Kathleen Woodruff, was murdered on December 28, 1977. She was raped and strangled with a University of Georgia scarf. Unlike the previous two victims, she was killed in the middle of the night.

Victim #6, Mildred Borom, was murdered on February 11, 1978. She was raped and strangled with a cord from a Venetian blind. This happened in the early morning hours with a heavy police presence nearby.

The Strangler seems to have a pattern – the first two victims occur within a week, then we have almost a month of silence. Then two more victims within a few days, at which point Wynnton gets absolutely overrun with cops and we have three months of silence, then a victim, then a month and a half of silence, then a victim. I have to admit that there are things that puzzle me, little inconsistencies – why did the strangler change their modus operandi from these middle of the night strikes to brazenly attacking in the middle of the day? Why the switch away from stockings for Kathleen Woodruff and Mildred Borom? All of that might amount to nothing at all. I’m not a criminal profiler or a cop or anything, it’s just always seemed like there’s something different about those killings.

Maybe the Strangler got scared away for a while after the Night of Terror on February 11. Maybe the Forces of Evil demands gave him pause. Or maybe he was enjoying a long “refractory period” before feeling the urge to kill again. Whatever the case, the Strangler did not strike again until April 20, 1978.

Janet Cofer lived out on Steam Mill Road, well outside the normal “hunting range” of the Wynnton area. As the crow flies it’s about a mile and a half to two miles between the home of Janet Cofer and the homes of other victims. In every other way it’s a world apart. Where other victims have university buildings named after them, roads named after their families and so on, Janet Cofer seemingly lived a quiet life unknown to the community at large. She was sixty-one years of age when the Strangler came calling, and her son, who lived with her at that time, was away for the evening. She was an elementary school teacher.

Janet Cofer met her end as six other women had: violently strangled in her home. A stocking was wrapped around her neck, and a bite mark was found on her left breast. The bite mark was deep, deep enough that a cast could be made to compare to potential suspects’ teeth. The cast would remain for years in the hands of our favorite coroner, Mr. Don Kilgore. What eventually happens with it is a story for a later post.

And so that’s where we leave our story for now, and for the city of Columbus at large, that’s where the story ended for years. Seven women lay dead, no one was being punished for it, and as far as anyone knew, the killer disappeared into the night as suddenly as he’d arisen.

Next time: steakhouse robberies, God calls the cops, and a long-lost gun resurfaces!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Rondette posted:

This was in the bathroom wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

What is most unnerving about the Watcher thing is that although he can send letters like that, there is not going to be any detailed investigation. Unless one of the family members is straight up kidnapped or murdered, the police are not going to look into it any further.

That being said, WHY would you leave the house before looking in the walls?

Imperialist Dog posted:

Inside the walls is a safe
Theres golds in them theres walls!