Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Perhaps he'll develop an obsession with creating a whole new set of languages

He could pad the back of ADoS with 300 pages of it

Except Tolkien based Elvish on the hardest language in the entire world to learn, GRRM would gently caress up even the simplest language creation.

It would give him a good reason to not write TWOW though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

Except Tolkien based Elvish on the hardest language in the entire world to learn, GRRM would gently caress up even the simplest language creation.

It would give him a good reason to not write TWOW though.

The American Scholar

The Linguist of our Age

Rum and breast milk on the hizzouse

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

I'm back into CoK now. When does the comet fade? I like how literally everyone takes it as a sign that they're gonna succeed. Catelyn is the only person in the seven kingdoms who thinks it might be someone else's sign.

its probably still in the sky. or maybe it's gone. or like Benjen. and Rickon. And Howland. or Schrodinger's Cat? It's neither?

Jesus why do you need everything to be in a neat package! Sometimes really interesting characters, or things, are introduced in the book and then they just disappear, or maybe they don't, who knows? just like real life. poo poo man, he is JUST LIKE REAL LIFE. Why does everything need to be in some neat, box, or story arc, with a beginning middle and an end????

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Comets can remain visible for a while, hale-bopp was visible for like a year and was at 'full comet' view for a few months. But hale bopp was a huge comet so who knows.

Edit: I think hale bopp was actually visible when grrm wrote acok.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 24, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I didn't ask for who the comet was for. It's just a comet and everyone projects their own meaning on it. If its for anyone it's Dany she's the only one who used it as a beacon to avoid the other khalasars and reach quarth. I forgot who the three wise men she meets are. Two of them turned out to be fuckers. Or when I read past it I forgot "oh these guys are the guys who are fuckers". Quaithe is in bad company. Maybe Dany shouldn't go to Asshai after all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I can never not smile at the abbreviation for A Clash of Kings.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Got Cock Sauce?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think it's more than that. The first season is in my opinion easily the best season of a fantasy show ever made, one of the best TV watching experiences I've ever had (and let's not get into the sopranos/the wire/breaking bad comparisons, I think we can all agree it was a very good season of TV by most accounts) but when you review the source material it is simply much more compact than any of the other books, in the first book the only characters that are truly remote from any other character are Jon and Dany, and even Jon has his couple of chapters hanging out with Tyrion, and Dany's plot itself is very good and has an incredibly satisfying ending, past that book you already have Arya in one location, Sansa in another, Cat & Rob doing their thing, Jon is still all on his own, Stannis is introduced, Dany does nothing for an entire novel, etc, already you have the same amount of screentime divided between twice as many locations and concurrent plots and it just keeps expanding with every novel with certain characters constantly moving away from the central locations, past the first season the adaptation became a lot more challenging and instead of just excising material early on they allowed themselves to get carried away with George's excesses, the quality of their original material also didn't do them any favors for certain.

tl;dr: the first book is almost the perfect source material for a TV adaptation, the following novels much less so.

First book/season seemed to be more about schemes and intrigue and putting realistic-ish characters in a setting that happened to be fantasy than the laborious "world building" it all kind of devolves into.

Watching the first season got me to read the books even though I never really got into fantasy stuff generally, and now I'm kinda in till the end because I've read so much already, hoping against hope that the grumm moves away from pants making GBS threads dany doing nothing and gets back to cool court intrigue house of cards with knights poo poo.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Junkenstein posted:

Got Cock Sauce?

gently caress Dude

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

gently caress Dude

Wow, DOS?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

affk looks like as far as I know, to me

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The last time the comet is mentioned is when Bran is warging into Summer at the end of Clash and he sees the 'dragon in the sky breathing fire' which disappears when he growls at it. People actually took that line to be about a literal dragon?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Tasteful Nude posted:

First book/season seemed to be more about schemes and intrigue and putting realistic-ish characters in a setting that happened to be fantasy than the laborious "world building" it all kind of devolves into.

Watching the first season got me to read the books even though I never really got into fantasy stuff generally, and now I'm kinda in till the end because I've read so much already, hoping against hope that the grumm moves away from pants making GBS threads dany doing nothing and gets back to cool court intrigue house of cards with knights poo poo.

Exactly this. I wanted that low fantasy palace intrigue and I got dragons, unicorns, mermen and rape

Throw it all at the wall George, every fantasy freak has some magical wyvern or dugong they jerk it to and you can harvest it for cheese puff money

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

syscall girl posted:

Exactly this. I wanted that low fantasy palace intrigue and I got dragons, unicorns, mermen and rape

Throw it all at the wall George, every fantasy freak has some magical wyvern or dugong they jerk it to and you can harvest it for cheese puff money

I feel like in the books the magical stuff is spread out and understated enough that it doesn't really disrupt the low-fantasy feel for the most part. There's a few no-poo poo magical events that can't be explained any other way (but also don't really seem to work the way the characters think they do), such as the existence of the Others, or Victarion's magic fire arm, but a lot of the other stuff is either ambiguous (Khal Drogo could have just resuscitated without magic and the light show as just a light show, the zombie-like state is just from brain damage), or might be total bullshit (half of the magic Melisandre does comes off as "did ritual, good thing happens, Mel opportunistically claims credit"). And most of it happens far enough apart that they come off as genuinely big and important moments rather than constant "YOU'RE IN XANTH KIDS" disruptions to the mood.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
a dude being stabbed to death by a shadow is probably not a coincidence

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jsoh posted:

Like I said, most of what she does other than the shadow babeys is coincidence. The other concrete example of magic I can think of that she does is casting a glamor. Everything else has been "I totally saw a thing that will happen in the fire" and then later saying "this is totally kinda like that thing I saw" or "I burned some stuff, and then good thing happened, it was totally the burning you guys!".

And her shadow-babey killing is one of those things that I think fits the mold of "big pivotal event" I was describing earlier, where I don't think it detracts from the story the same way peasants running around cooking their soup with magic fire would.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Typical Goon posted:

The last time the comet is mentioned is when Bran is warging into Summer at the end of Clash and he sees the 'dragon in the sky breathing fire' which disappears when he growls at it. People actually took that line to be about a literal dragon?

seriously is that the only indicator that the comet faded?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A Typical Goon posted:

Here's the actual quote-

Bran Warging into Summer posted:

"The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone."

Winged snake is pretty specific and I've never heard a comet roar.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

jsoh posted:

It's almost like he started out writing her as having sorceress powers and then as he wrote more books forgot and starter writing her as a fraud snake oil salesman! Well, Im sure there is a good explanation for why she was only successful that one time.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Spun Dog posted:

Here's the actual quote-

I've actually been digging up on this for like the past hour or so, it's almost certainly not the comet as the comet should have been long gone by then, it appears a the end of AGOT when Robb marches out of Winterfell with his bannermen, basically around the time Ned dies, and the last time it is noted as being present in the sky is in the same chapter Tyrion hears Robb's terms via Cleos Frey, which would be still sometime before Theon took Winterfell and even longer before Ramsay sacked the castle, so I think the comet is probably long gone by then.

It's certainly not a dragon or any actual creature though, Summer's pov shows the sacking in a rather objective manner, the appearance of a sudden winged snake that disappears when he bares his teeth and isn't given a second thought neither by the wolf nor by Bran really screams 'his doggy brain is misinterpreting some momentary, probably mundane, event'. When Bran later emerges from the crypt a lot of Winterfell is destroyed, the library tower caught on fire and Luwin's turret is completely gone, I think it was likely one of these two structures collapsing or something that produced a flame large enough to scare Summer, it would also explain the roar. Kinda iffy though unless there was something that could really go off in Luwin's turret and I couldn't find any description of anything volatile in there so idk, the crows live their but it would be kinda farfetches for them to catch on fire and make a big light show flying around.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

Here's the actual quote-

A comet burning across the skin casting red light could clearly look like a snake in the sky surrounded by fire, especially as the POV is Summer who wouldn't understand the concept of a comet. It's pretty clearly a subtle reference to the comet fading as opposed to a throw-away single line from forever ago that implies there is a random dragon just chilling around the North

Melisandre also uses blood magic when she burns the three leeches with Edric Strom's blood in SoS, which is implied to have been connected to the deaths of the other three kings.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems pretty consistent to me. The effects of magic are only proportional to the sacrifice you make.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

A Typical Goon posted:

A comet burning across the skin casting red light could clearly look like a snake in the sky surrounded by fire, especially as the POV is Summer who wouldn't understand the concept of a comet. It's pretty clearly a subtle reference to the comet fading as opposed to a throw-away single line from forever ago that implies there is a random dragon just chilling around the North

Melisandre also uses blood magic when she burns the three leeches with Edric Strom's blood in SoS, which is implied to have been connected to the deaths of the other three kings.

Why would a wolf snarling at a celestial body make it instantly disappear? Why would Summer see the comet coming out of winterfell, roaring and then going poof?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I've actually been digging up on this for like the past hour or so, it's almost certainly not the comet as the comet should have been long gone by then, it appears a the end of AGOT when Robb marches out of Winterfell with his bannermen, basically around the time Ned dies, and the last time it is noted as being present in the sky is in the same chapter Tyrion hears Robb's terms via Cleos Frey, which would be still sometime before Theon took Winterfell and even longer before Ramsay sacked the castle, so I think the comet is probably long gone by then.

It's certainly not a dragon or any actual creature though, Summer's pov shows the sacking in a rather objective manner, the appearance of a sudden winged snake that disappears when he bares his teeth and isn't given a second thought neither by the wolf nor by Bran really screams 'his doggy brain is misinterpreting some momentary, probably mundane, event'. When Bran later emerges from the crypt a lot of Winterfell is destroyed, the library tower caught on fire and Luwin's turret is completely gone, I think it was likely one of these two structures collapsing or something that produced a flame large enough to scare Summer, it would also explain the roar. Kinda iffy though unless there was something that could really go off in Luwin's turret and I couldn't find any description of anything volatile in there so idk, the crows live their but it would be kinda farfetches for them to catch on fire and make a big light show flying around.

There's a theory that I've read that says basically Bran/Summer is seeing some sort of prophecy in the flames like Melissandre and Thoros do. If you're more into thinking it's a literal dragon, Osha says something like " We made enough noise to wake a dragon" after Hodor busts open the door to the crypt.

Nothing conclusive either way as far as I can tell, but it's fun to speculate.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A Typical Goon posted:

And the roar?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Why would a wolf snarling at a celestial body make it instantly disappear? Why would Summer see the comet coming out of winterfell, roaring and then going poof?

It's a coincidence. Summer doesn't make the comet disappears it just does. Just like it never meant anything even though literally all the characters think it represents them.

He's looking up at the sky, through the fire and smoke of a razed Winterfell. It never says anything about the 'dragon' coming out of Winterfell.

I think it's a lot more logical that the 'roar of fire' was just light coming off the comet. Much more likely than Summer being attacked by a dragon and Bran never giving it a single thought ever.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Going by this video I'm just gonna assume that fire climbs real high when a burning building collapses, and some of the buildings in winterfell would be significantly larger than that dinky house, Summer saw the flames climbing out of a collapsing building or just some pieces of flaming debris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ych7fBZA9FY

A Typical Goon posted:

It's a coincidence. Summer doesn't make the comet disappears it just does. Just like it never meant anything even though literally all the characters think it represents them.

He's looking up at the sky, through the fire and smoke of a razed Winterfell. It never says anything about the 'dragon' coming out of Winterfell.

I think it's a lot more logical that the 'roar of fire' was just light coming off the comet. Much more likely than Summer being attacked by a dragon and Bran never giving it a single thought ever.

True it doesn't say it takes off. Anyway comets don't just disappear they fade away, that is unless it's not actually a comet like we have in our world (only red), even though everything else in the story seems to suggest it is, to me at least. Not that I think anyone could interpret a comet as a 'great winged snake' particularly not near the end of its appearance, though wtf do I know, the comet is described to be huge and brighter than the moon in many passages. Really the most implausible thing for me about this is that the comet is last mentioned many many chapters before this one which is basically the last chapter before the epilogue of ACOK.

Who knows though. I agree that there's 0 chances of it being any actual winged fire breathing beast though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Melisandre was effective at least twice but then stannis was too weak to do any more. Also "the images I see in my flames are vague and misleading" is pretty far from her being a charlatan - for me, personally, I don't see vague, misleading images when I look into flames - I see...flames.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

A winged snake really looks nothing like a comet, but suspiciously like a dragon. Maybe a non-winged snake could resemble one, but in my mind, that's still a stretch. Roar implies a loud sound. Roar was a river of flame conjures up images a dragon breathing fire.

Not saying it's an actual dragon, but it sure could be a vision of one.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
The author most likely forgot there was a comet.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Mel achievements:

- Drank poison and was fine but her enemy that drank with her died (blood magic)

- Shadow babby (blood magic)

- May have had something to do with the deaths of Robb, Joffrey, and Balon (blood magic)

- is pretty bad at looking into the flames (fire magic)

- Stannis' flaming sword was lol (fire magic)

- Burned people alive (blood magic using fire as the source of death)

- is still bad at seeing visions in fire

- hasn't resurrected Jon yet, but that's fire magic (see Thoros)

Thoros achievements

- bitching rad flaming swords (fire magic)

- blows fire into dead fuckers and they come back (fire magic)

- can GPS locate motherfuckers in the flames with ease (fire magic)

Mirri achievements

- killed a guy who had a booboo (blood magic)

- sprayed blood on a preg chick and her baby was born a rotting corpse (blood magic)

Dany achievements:

- literally unburnt (fire magic)

Citadel dudes with dragon candles:

- can see visions in the flames without being magic and poo poo (fire magic)

Qyburn achievements:

- made a frankenstein (blood magic)

That one guy achievements:

- motherfucking Victarion volcano arm (fire magic)

-------

So, in conclusion, Melisandre is really good at blood magic, but is attributing her skills to a fire god. She actually has pretty poo poo fire skills and can't do any of the advanced level fire tricks.

If she tries to res Jon with fire magic, she'll fail. But she'll attribute her blood magic to her religion, and Jon, like all corpses brought back by blood magic will be completely hosed up.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
mel could just thrust her tits at john's face to raise him up

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I think the most logical thing to happen is Mel hears Stannis died at Winterfell, tries to resurrect Azor Ahai by burning Shireen and ends up bringing back Jon.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Spun Dog posted:

And the roar?

I don't have much to contribute but you are cracking me up since you don't understand you misread the quote you posted. GRRM didn't write anything about "hearing" a comet roar. He said the roar was a river of flame. The other dudes are saying the streak from the comet is making an effect like a dragon breathing fire. gently caress man

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Is there anything magic about Thoros' swords? I thought it was pretty explicit he just covered them in wildfire.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I think he meant Beric's sword. Beric just straight up bleeds on his sword and it catches on fire now. That's how he gave the hound a trial by combat. (I assume thoros taught him?)

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

mossyfisk posted:

Is there anything magic about Thoros' swords? I thought it was pretty explicit he just covered them in wildfire.

Originally yes, that was his gimmick, but after the whole really buying into the Lord of Light thing both he and Beric are able to do it for realsies.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

There's this whole theme of magic is returning. poo poo is working again. Possibly because of dragons? A guy can climb a fire ladder, swords can light on fire, people can come back from the dead. People can light the dragon glass candles. All of this poo poo is new.
What isn't new?
The red lady's chapters made it seem like she was a thousand years old and basically dust inside her glamoured skin. (I think? It'll be a while before I reread it at this pace) She didn't look up, see the comet, feel dragons return to the world, feel powers come into existence and run off to find ahor azai. She has been doing something to get credentials and get called into service. She had practice looking into flames. She has experience.

Alchemy started working "better" but they could still make wildfire. Someone chopped off varys's dick and spoke to a djinn or something pre-magic-returning.

I can't tell if poo poo is getting easier or if some magics are returning while others are staying the same.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mel lobbed a fireball at the eagle warg though. Sounds like fire magic to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Was that the show though? I thought she just made it so the bird was on loving fire spontaneous combustion style.