Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I can't get over the whole "anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment" thing. That's pure horseshit.

Like, Marsol0, I also own everything I conceive (past, present, and future), so long as I'm not using company equipment to do it. There must be plenty of employers like ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

bartkusa posted:

I can't get over the whole "anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment" thing. That's pure horseshit.

Like, Marsol0, I also own everything I conceive (past, present, and future), so long as I'm not using company equipment to do it. There must be plenty of employers like ours.

OK, technically, it's anything related to anything the company has or will ever do, but, given the scope and size of the new corporate overlords, that could cover a lot of stuff.

E: one of our CJs talked to their CJs and found out that that guy had been at his job four years and covered 100+ acquisitions.

E2: and there's an exemption for my state that covers after-hours-without-company-property stuff but I don't know if that means it also covers preexisting stuff I don't disclose because that's not mentioned. Maybe because the state legislature didn't imagine this situation - IDK.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 17, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Munkeymon posted:

OK, technically, it's anything related to anything the company has or will ever do, but, given the scope and size of the new corporate overlords, that could cover a lot of stuff.

Maybe you can get them to be more specific? If for nothing else, to burn time while you find a decent job.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Munkeymon posted:

How many of you guys are presented (initially at least) with a contract that gives ownership of anything you come up with off-hours to the company? Actually the one on my desk right now also claims anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment and fail to disclose.

So how common is this poo poo?

Every employment contract I've ever signed has had wordage like that, followed by the required notice that under California law the previous page is null and void.

If you have revenue-generating side things talk to a lawyer. It'll only take an hour or two for them to read the contract and tell you exactly what the implications are and answer any questions you may have.

Plorkyeran fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 18, 2015

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Munkeymon posted:

How many of you guys are presented (initially at least) with a contract that gives ownership of anything you come up with off-hours to the company? Actually the one on my desk right now also claims anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment and fail to disclose.

So how common is this poo poo?

It's not uncommon, especially at huge companies, except for the part where they own poo poo you came up with prior to working with them. That part is not something I've seen before.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The "declare the poo poo you've already done" part is so that you can't do something a year from now and then claim to have done it previously.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I know what it's for, but the contracts I've seen are just like "sign here to say these things you list below are everything you did previously". I don't recall anything after that saying "and you agree to give us anything you didn't list" from any of the contracts I've signed, but I've only signed four of these. One of them was actually explicit in saying that they owned things I did at work with work resources without asking for anything I had done in my spare time. But then they got bought by a huge company, so they probably have evil contracts now.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Plorkyeran posted:

Every employment contract I've ever signed has had wordage like that, followed by the required notice that under California law the previous page is null and void.

If you have revenue-generating side things talk to a lawyer. It'll only take an hour or two for them to read the contract and tell you exactly what the implications are and answer any questions you may have.

I'm not in California, but there's a not-dissimilar exclusion for my state. I'm thinking about consulting a lawyer but I don't know/have one offhand and, at first, I was given less than 24 hours to sign and turn in the loving thing, but that's changed to approximately two whole days ending tomorrow today (the 18th) as of mid-day yesterday :toot:

I'm ~60% ready to make a stink and make them either change the contract or fire(?) me but I might wimp out and sign it because there's probably no reason they'd care about my dumb rear end junk ideas, anyway.

Safe and Secure! posted:

I know what it's for, but the contracts I've seen are just like "sign here to say these things you list below are everything you did previously". I don't recall anything after that saying "and you agree to give us anything you didn't list" from any of the contracts I've signed, but I've only signed four of these.

I don't have it in front of me but IIRC it basically claims anything relating to anything I ever come up with that the company, which basically exists to buy up other companies, has or will have a business interest in except for what I tell them I've already thought about. I can basically understand why, but I still think it's unnecessarily broad.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 18, 2015

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
We just got one of those contracts the other day at my job (I've been there 15 months), but luckily I (with the director of operations) was able to go through it and narrow it down a bunch.

Basically now it only covers work done on company machines that DIRECTLY relate to the services the company provides as belonging to the company.

There's also mumbo jumbo about not entering freelance contracts with any of our clients while I'm still working or whatnot, which seemed pretty standard.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9729916

Here's a HN discussion from yesterday on pretty much this exact contract issue.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I usually "disclose" about twenty or so code names. If they press I'll add vague detail. Like:
Cowboy a network protocol
Gate a framework
Dimple a programming language

Etc... Make it vague enough and enough of them and there's never an issue. I've never been pressed beyond that in 20 years because it's just a check mark for hr

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

good jovi posted:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9729916

Here's a HN discussion from yesterday on pretty much this exact contract issue.

Hah, that's almost certainly the other guy on the team that was concerned about the contract.

Oh and they said sign or leave so I've got some thinking to do.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 18, 2015

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
My company won't get rid of the clause, so every few months I waste their time approving some vague idea I may or may not pursue.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Does anyone here have any recent experience with how having a high clearance like Top Secret with polygraph affects software salaries relative to uncleared/private sector software work?

My unsubstantiated opinion is that with the drawdown and lack of growth in defense there's currently a glut of people with TS clearances (at least around me in Maryland), so companies are less willing to clear new people and aren't under as much pressure to pay as well. I don't know if this has any basis in reality. At my last job in defense where I only had a Secret clearance the salaries weren't so hot (which may have just been our lovely contract), but they're a lot higher at my current job (not just for me but for other developers) which is for a software consultancy living off of state and federal healthcare IT contracts.

I'm working on trying to make a career move out of .NET and into some combination of scala/python/machine learning/data science, which there's a lot of in defense near me. I just don't know if the salaries are anywhere near what I can get doing the same stuff in the private sector elsewhere. I make $130k as a .NET developer with 6 years of experience in the Baltimore suburbs and worry that's completely out of the ballpark for defense nowadays (at least for someone with only 6 years of experience), or even for other uncleared/private work in Baltimore which is a pretty poor place.

I wish discussing salaries was easier. So many people get hosed and I feel they'd be better off if it was an open topic.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Don't folks in the murdering-brown-people industry lose their clearance if they don't use it for a while? So that could plausibly temporarily depress wages to sub-market or near-market levels. $130k seems pretty good for a place that doesn't have an explosive cost of living, which I assume suburban Baltimore to be (compared to California, anyway).

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Yes, at least for defense clearances if you quit and then don't work at a job that requires a clearance it expires after 2 years and you have to go through the whole process again to get cleared again. If you get a job within 2 years of leaving it's easier to reactivate the clearance. $130k is nice (CNN's cost of living calculator says that's $200k in SF) but working on boring LOB apps sucks.

Cryolite fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 25, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cryolite posted:

Yes, at least for defense clearances if you quit and then don't work at a job that requires a clearance it expires after 2 years and you have to go through the whole process again to get cleared again. If you get a job within 2 years of leaving it's easier to reactivate the clearance. $130k is nice (CNN's cost of living calculator says that's $200k in SF) but working on boring LOB apps sucks.

CNN's cost of living calculator still says that Manhattan is noticeably more expensive than San Francisco, so you should take it with a grain of salt.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Cryolite posted:

Does anyone here have any recent experience with how having a high clearance like Top Secret with polygraph affects software salaries relative to uncleared/private sector software work?

I went from defense with TS to non-defense and got a big pay bump, so I'm not sure it has that much of a dollar premium. I do think it is a feather in the trustworthy-cap for the resume though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ultrafilter posted:

CNN's cost of living calculator still says that Manhattan is noticeably more expensive than San Francisco, so you should take it with a grain of salt.
Due to recent gentrification, Manhattan's pretty close to SF levels of ridiculous until you get way up north of Washington Heights. A 1Br/1Ba in a previously reasonable area like Nolita is going for close to $3,000/mo. nowadays. You can expect to pay upwards of $2,500 even in Harlem. It's not $3,000+/mo. for a studio in San Mateo, but it's about on par with Redwood City or Milpitas.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Both cities are expensive for sure, but the COL calculator in question says that a $100k salary in SF is equivalent to $135k in Manhattan. That was probably correct 3-4 years ago, but it's definitely not right now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Both cities are expensive for sure, but the COL calculator in question says that a $100k salary in SF is equivalent to $135k in Manhattan. That was probably correct 3-4 years ago, but it's definitely not right now.
Oof, yeah, that's a disparity that's got to be at least a decade out of date. I don't think cost of living between the cities has been on an even keel since maybe 2007 or 2008. The Bay Area blew up when smartphones got into everyone's hands.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Vulture Culture posted:

Oof, yeah, that's a disparity that's got to be at least a decade out of date. I don't think cost of living between the cities has been on an even keel since maybe 2007 or 2008. The Bay Area blew up when smartphones got into everyone's hands.
It depends on whether you're comparing SF to NYC or SF to Manhattan.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cicero posted:

It depends on whether you're comparing SF to NYC or SF to Manhattan.
Yeah, that's true, I focused on Manhattan while including the outlying areas near SF. Obviously cost of living is a lot cheaper in the non-hipster neighborhoods of the outer boroughs. In terms of neighborhood quality you'd have a hard time comparing most of the Bronx to anywhere unless you start looking at rents on the east side of the Bay.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 25, 2015

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Vulture Culture posted:

Due to recent gentrification, Manhattan's pretty close to SF levels of ridiculous until you get way up north of Washington Heights. A 1Br/1Ba in a previously reasonable area like Nolita is going for close to $3,000/mo. nowadays. You can expect to pay upwards of $2,500 even in Harlem. It's not $3,000+/mo. for a studio in San Mateo, but it's about on par with Redwood City or Milpitas.

Nolita is much more than "reasonable," it has a bunch of great restaurants and stores and is close to a bunch of subway lines. "Reasonable" is like deep LES or UES. I think people exaggerate how expensive NY is because they like to throw money away, I'm only paying $2100 for my 1br in greenwich village.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Latest in my burnout saga: signed an offer and turned in my two weeks today. I'm #7 to bail out from my team in the last two months.

Got out from under a toxic project, nice pay bump, I get to work on a high profile app that'll be awesome for me career-wise, and I still get to work remote. Can't lose.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Latest in my burnout saga: signed an offer and turned in my two weeks today. I'm #7 to bail out from my team in the last two months.

Got out from under a toxic project, nice pay bump, I get to work on a high profile app that'll be awesome for me career-wise, and I still get to work remote. Can't lose.

Congrats! Any more details?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Congrats! Any more details?

Forgive me for being intentionally vague, I don't know who's reading this. I'll be working on an Android app for a company that's a household name. Not any Silicon Valley darling company, but it's still probably better than even odds you're a customer, even if you don't have the app.

Millions of installs, but minSdkVersion 18 :getin: Their demographic is such that they're able to get away with this -- they found that their customers are typically the type of people who upgrade their phones every 2 years on the dot.

After some soul-searching I concluded I'm totally ok doing Android development work, and I am definitely ok with the paycheck that comes with being a competent Android developer. I'm just not cool with toxic work that happens to be Android development.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

After some soul-searching I concluded I'm totally ok doing Android development work, and I am definitely ok with the paycheck that comes with being a competent Android developer. I'm just not cool with toxic work that happens to be Android development.
Cool. Do you know if Android dev pays significantly more than iOS dev? I've decided in the past year or two that I care much less about Android's pitfalls than I do the pitfalls of a hostile work environment (even if such hostility is very localized and not representative of the company as a whole).

Also, my gut tells me that the company you're describing is not unlike Adobe, for what it's worth.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I mainly meant mobile developers in general when I said that. Supply and demand. It took us six months last year to fill an open req for my team, and we'd take either iOS or Android since we needed both. We had that req open in three different cities, even. Plenty of applicants flowed in, but the majority failed the initial screens.

That having been said, my technical interview for this position consisted of a few softball whiteboard questions, and then the remainder was a lot of casual bullshitting about Android's idiosyncrasies and cursing Samsung's name.

So there's probably at least some specific salary determinant in being an Android developer, just because of the trial by fire that you'll have gone through if you shipped an Android app of any significant size.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 27, 2015

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
How do salaries differ between mobile developers and other types of developers, for example plain .NET/Java web developers building CRUD apps? Typically lower, or if you know your poo poo can you command a higher salary than for those other types of work?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cryolite posted:

How do salaries differ between mobile developers and other types of developers, for example plain .NET/Java web developers building CRUD apps? Typically lower, or if you know your poo poo can you command a higher salary than for those other types of work?
Outside of weird niches, salaries differ a lot more by company than by particular technology. That said, a lot of mobile products are making a lot of money right now.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Outside of weird niches, salaries differ a lot more by company than by particular technology. That said, a lot of mobile products are making a lot of money right now.

On the hiring side, though, finding a competent Android developer seems a lot harder than finding a competent iOS developer, and they seem to like it a bit less. So I think there might be incentive for a lot of companies to pay more for Android devs, if they're desperate. I recall one dev (who didn't get hired) asking for 33% more than the salary cap at the time.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Has anyone used those hiring websites like Hired and poo poo? Before I start an aggressive search I kinda want to exhaust my options there since it's the summer and I'm lazy.

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
I really would love to leave my current company for a variety of reasons - but I keep running into work/life balance issues when researching other places. is 15 PTO days really the standard? I get 21 at my current job along with federal holidays. I'd basically be losing 9 days off a year. Also, there seems to be this expectation that 45 hours is a totally reasonable work week. I might work more than 40 hours 4 times a year.

Me: 10 years of experience, DC area (federal contractor), average salary. I don't hate my job but I'm really ready to move on.

I'm curious as to what kind of hours people here work and what their PTO situation is like.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

On the hiring side, though, finding a competent Android developer seems a lot harder than finding a competent iOS developer, and they seem to like it a bit less. So I think there might be incentive for a lot of companies to pay more for Android devs, if they're desperate. I recall one dev (who didn't get hired) asking for 33% more than the salary cap at the time.
Sure, but technology-specific salaries are fleeting. By the time you see a high salary across the board in an industry and say to yourself, "wow, I've got to get in on this," it's probably too late to catch it on the upswing. It's better to think in terms of what will give you long-term career trajectory.

And for whatever it's worth:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Sure, but technology-specific salaries are fleeting. By the time you see a high salary across the board in an industry and say to yourself, "wow, I've got to get in on this," it's probably too late to catch it on the upswing.

I mean, I already spent three years doing Android, but both companies I did that at also underpaid the poo poo out of me, so I didn't actually know if there was a salary differential. I wouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to catch up, max. I started mobile around iOS3 and Android 1.6.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Has anyone used those hiring websites like Hired and poo poo? Before I start an aggressive search I kinda want to exhaust my options there since it's the summer and I'm lazy.

I tried hired. The number of employers in my location(DC) wasn't very good and the physical location filters weren't good for the area. The DC area was brand new so maybe it's better now. The overall experience seemed better than recruiters or job boards.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

StateOwned posted:

I really would love to leave my current company for a variety of reasons - but I keep running into work/life balance issues when researching other places. is 15 PTO days really the standard? I get 21 at my current job along with federal holidays. I'd basically be losing 9 days off a year. Also, there seems to be this expectation that 45 hours is a totally reasonable work week. I might work more than 40 hours 4 times a year.

Me: 10 years of experience, DC area (federal contractor), average salary. I don't hate my job but I'm really ready to move on.

I'm curious as to what kind of hours people here work and what their PTO situation is like.

I've been at my current place for 7 years. Started at 15 days, currently 20. I've never felt any expectation to work more than 40 hours.

I would have a really hard time going back to 15 days. Even 20 feels kind of ridiculous. My impression, though, is that many places will negotiate on PTO. It's part of your compensation, if you want more, ask for it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I've been here four years and my last performance review I asked for an extra week of vacation in addition to a pay bump. Didn't get the full pay bump but did get the extra week. Three starting out seems to be pretty standard at most companies in the US, which is just part of the bullshit we all put up with for our freedom :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

StateOwned posted:

I'm in DC but on the trade association side here -- we get all the federal holidays plus 10 annual leave ( increasing to 15 at 5 years and 20 at 10) plus 2 personal days plus 3+ weeks sick leave though I've heard our benefits are pretty nuts. Slower times hours are closer to 40 but when it gets hot and heavy I'll easily do 60-100 weeks but that is as much me and how I roll than anything in the organization.