Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Saying nothing of how Sailor Moon got shat on via Crystal.

Toei need to reveal they're giving the reins to someone who cares before I even start to care,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
What happened in Crystal, I never watched it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neo Helbeast posted:

I didn't watch more than 2 episodes but it took forever for the show to even air. Then what we got was ugly and, apparently, not that well-animated.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Y-Hat posted:

Did anyone see the final episode of Phineas and Ferb? The AV Club review said it was disappointing because it left so many questions unanswered. Maybe if there was a one-week episode bomb like Cartoon Network did with Adventure Time and Steven Universe (and are currently doing with Regular Show), they wouldn't have had this problem. But we all know how bad Disney is with show scheduling- even Phineas and Ferb got screwed over in its last couple of years. The second-to-last episode was good, mostly for the mid-life crisis B-plot. Wrapping up the Phineas/Isabella love story was obvious fanservice, but it was cute all the same.

I saw it and thought that the two episodes were fine. P&F has never been the kind of show that demands explanations for its weirdness so I'm fine not knowing things like why the universe wants Candace to fail.

My only real complaint is that I would have liked to see the gang directly confront Doofenshmirtz (sp??) at least once (the movie was an evil twin so it doesn't count). The finale would have been a great place to have that happen.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

Neo Helbeast posted:

Aside from the story pacing and the fact that new episodes were being released every two to three weeks instead of weekly, there was nothing wrong with it. Nope, nothing at all.

masteraero fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 24, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Oh sweet Lord above what am I looking at
Is that seriously something that was put on programming
How is that not a parody or something

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
What's even worse is they "fixed" a lot of the glaring errors in the Blu-Ray release. It's "eh, we'll fix it in post" taken to its worst extreme.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Was this designed by an alien that had only heard a superficial description of human faces, is that what is happening here

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Was this designed by an alien that had only heard a superficial description of human faces, is that what is happening here

Well, Toei certainly act like they come from the planet Zog more oft' than not.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

kefkafloyd posted:

What's even worse is they "fixed" a lot of the glaring errors in the Blu-Ray release. It's "eh, we'll fix it in post" taken to its worst extreme.

This actually happens a most anime where after it's done airing they'll fix animation errors during the Blu-Ray release.

However, most of those are probably because the deadlines for aired animes are insane but Crystal was biweekly soooooo....

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't have context for any of those images, but it's not like anime is immune to cherrypicking bad cels that end up looking fine in motion. Crystal still sucks though.

And yeah, it's normal for anime BDs/DVDs to have better quality than the tv broadcasts, sometimes to an unbelievable degree. Anime production can be a clusterfuck, so sometimes a show has some bad moments/episodes.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Can we talk about how awesome Hey Arnold was? Loved the show as a kid, still really enjoy it as an adult. I always wondered where the show would have gone had it continued on the original planned pace with the movie ending and a continuation series.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone at work brought up Legends of the Temple which owned

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Can we talk about how awesome Hey Arnold was? Loved the show as a kid, still really enjoy it as an adult. I always wondered where the show would have gone had it continued on the original planned pace with the movie ending and a continuation series.

Hey Arnold is the realest loving show and most certainly my pick for best cartoon of the 90s. Every character had at least some sort of story to them, and there were morals that weren't completely opaque and blunt like so many other shows.

One-shot characters like Stoop Kid and Monkeyman and Pigeon Man all had a bunch of depth and were super interesting and I mean poo poo just chill the gently caress out and play this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PdWG_KbsA

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finally looked up the bearstack thing and found out it was for a new show called We Bare Bear that premiers on the 27th of July. Looks interesting.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Arnold and Gerald rode a train to Hell and it was loving awesome.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Finally looked up the bearstack thing and found out it was for a new show called We Bare Bear that premiers on the 27th of July. Looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtNVhZrm4Cc

It actually looks pretty good. We'll see though.

I guess it's based on an online comic.

http://thethreebarebears.blogspot.com/

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

Did anyone see the final episode of Phineas and Ferb? The AV Club review said it was disappointing because it left so many questions unanswered. Maybe if there was a one-week episode bomb like Cartoon Network did with Adventure Time and Steven Universe (and are currently doing with Regular Show), they wouldn't have had this problem. But we all know how bad Disney is with show scheduling- even Phineas and Ferb got screwed over in its last couple of years. The second-to-last episode was good, mostly for the mid-life crisis B-plot. Wrapping up the Phineas/Isabella love story was obvious fanservice, but it was cute all the same.

The last episode of Phineas and Ferb kinda sucked, it didn't really feel like a final episode (not that there was really much to wrap up or anything) and was more boring and drawn out than the average regular episode. I don't think Disney cared enough to ever do a "bombing" of it or anything else, it's really obvious that they stopped giving a poo poo about that show a couple of years ago. There was a time when there wasn't an hour of the day when at least one Disney network wasn't showing an episode, then suddenly new episodes are randomly aired at random days and random times with no prior warning.

readingatwork posted:

I saw it and thought that the two episodes were fine. P&F has never been the kind of show that demands explanations for its weirdness so I'm fine not knowing things like why the universe wants Candace to fail.

My only real complaint is that I would have liked to see the gang directly confront Doofenshmirtz (sp??) at least once (the movie was an evil twin so it doesn't count). The finale would have been a great place to have that happen.

What would they have confronted him about? He's so incompetent at being a bad guy that he gets foiled every day by a platypus. He can't even convince his ex-wife that he's genuinely evil.
I wish they would keep making Doofenshmirtz's Daily Dirt though. I could listen to him rant about the internet all day.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 25, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

raditts posted:

The last episode of Phineas and Ferb kinda sucked, it didn't really feel like a final episode (not that there was really much to wrap up or anything) and was more boring and drawn out than the average regular episode. I don't think Disney cared enough to ever do a "bombing" of it or anything else, it's really obvious that they stopped giving a poo poo about that show a couple of years ago. There was a time when there wasn't an hour of the day when at least one Disney network wasn't showing an episode, then suddenly new episodes are randomly aired at random days and random times with no prior warning.

So basically Gravity Falls but with merchandise. :v:

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Digimon Tri is a continuation of Adventure 02, but apparently without the extra kids that show revolved around but with the stupid ending everyone hated. Which means it's a show about 18-year-olds with digital pets. Also, all the art released so far has a bad case of same face. The kindest thing I can say is that the bait and switch of movies instead of a series means Tri will be awful for a shorter period of time. I don't know why they didn't just reboot the show, like every other graying franchise over there.

Yes, I am bitter that Izzy/Koushirou will likely be relegated to explaining stupid plot points to dummards instead of having any character development and Mimi will likely be written out again. Jou probably won't be in it much either.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

ThermoPhysical posted:

It took Gravity Falls over a calender year to completely air the 20 episode first season.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

El Tortuga posted:

Arnold and Gerald rode a train to Hell and it was loving awesome.
And Grandpa beat up Hitler and single handedly won WWII

Man the intro for Hey Arnold was so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUsnJ9jlwns

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

don Jaime posted:

Digimon Tri is a continuation of Adventure 02, but apparently without the extra kids that show revolved around but with the stupid ending everyone hated. Which means it's a show about 18-year-olds with digital pets. Also, all the art released so far has a bad case of same face. The kindest thing I can say is that the bait and switch of movies instead of a series means Tri will be awful for a shorter period of time. I don't know why they didn't just reboot the show, like every other graying franchise over there.

Yes, I am bitter that Izzy/Koushirou will likely be relegated to explaining stupid plot points to dummards instead of having any character development and Mimi will likely be written out again. Jou probably won't be in it much either.

It's movie instead of a show? Yeah it's probably going to suck.

The original Digimon adventure ending with Tai not ending up with what's her name is funny. Like the creator wanted to do it so it wouldn't be predictable but almost no one else involved had any idea.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I always wondered where the show would have gone had it continued on the original planned pace with the movie ending and a continuation series.

I think that trying to have a serious overarching plot was a wrong move, as evidenced by the first Hey Arnold movie bombing so terribly. Finding out that Arnold's parents are actually alive in the jungle somewhere and he goes to rescue them and the big twist ending is that his last name actually is "Shortman" and it's not just a term of endearment from his Grandpa is the kind of thing that's funny to read about after the fact but probably wouldn't have meshed at all with the actual show.

Sockser posted:

Hey Arnold is the realest loving show and most certainly my pick for best cartoon of the 90s. Every character had at least some sort of story to them, and there were morals that weren't completely opaque and blunt like so many other shows.

In retrospect it very much feels like The Simpsons in the way that they created such a big cast of characters and was able to use them all to great effect. If anything it's even more impressive because Hey Arnold is so much more grounded and small-scale.

achillesforever6 posted:

And Grandpa beat up Hitler and single handedly won WWII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByZ1-8eLCW4&t=646s

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

the big twist ending is that his last name actually is "Shortman" and it's not just a term of endearment from his Grandpa is the kind of thing that's funny to read about after the fact but probably wouldn't have meshed at all with the actual show.

This was never actually stated in the show or movie. It's something that was confirmed online by Craig Bartlett himself in a chat in 2006.

His full name is apparently Arnold Phillip Shortman.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ThermoPhysical posted:

This was never actually stated in the show or movie. It's something that was confirmed online by Craig Bartlett himself in a chat in 2006.

His full name is apparently Arnold Phillip Shortman.

You misread that post; that's exactly what he just said.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This is probably one of the best episodes of Hey Arnold, I mean hell its amazing to see a kids show discuss the Vietnam War.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mycot posted:

You misread that post; that's exactly what he just said.

So I did!

Apologies. :v: Been a rough day.

My day aside, I noticed someone mentioned Legends of the Hidden Temple, I YouTube'd that to see if there were videos of the kids loving up (I think there's a few), but I actually found a few episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJgHBp-kMU

So, yah. This is cool.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

One of Clarence's main friends, Jeff, has two mothers too. For all legal stuff CN has them as "two females who live together and are both the legal guardians of Jeff" to be vague enough for countries where it's actually illegal to depict homosexual relationships, but the "sub"text is clear enough. Clarence is pretty fun.

What the hell kind of questions does Phineas and Ferb have to leave unanswered? I only gave the show a few watches here and there in the last few seasons but did it suddenly grow lore out of nowhere or something?
What other countries do they have Cartoon Network in? I know it's in Europe and other "Western" countries, but is it also in the Middle East or the West Indies where gay stuff can get you jailed or worse? Pendleton Ward said to some fan that they couldn't really explore the Marceline/Princess Bubblegum relationship because of those kinds of places- although I think it's just as likely that he didn't mean to "confirm" anything and just wanted to dick around with a fan.

According to the AV Club review, two things the reviewer wanted to see were closure to Meep and Peter the Panda. I have no idea why, because those were just fun little things in a couple of episodes and not full-blown plot devices that regularly showed up.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Exactly, except Gravity Falls merchandise would look better. Phineas and Ferb characters kinda don't look good when you add a third dimension to them.

That show debuted a little bit before I stopped watching Nickelodeon, so I only caught a few episodes when it started up. I caught it when it was on Netflix a long time ago and I thought it was excellent. It's definitely something that I could have gotten into as a kid, but as an adult you appreciate the show even more. I'd dare to say that it's the best old-school Nicktoon, although I still love Rocko's Modern Life (there's something to be said about a kid's show that dropped a Scientology dis).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This is the best song from Hey Arnold (not that it had many)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGi1QtkE9s

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

This is probably one of the best episodes of Hey Arnold, I mean hell its amazing to see a kids show discuss the Vietnam War.

We're pretty close to the point right now where someone like Grandpa Simpson would be a Vietnam vet at his original age.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

computer parts posted:

We're pretty close to the point right now where someone like Grandpa Simpson would be a Vietnam vet at his original age.

The Punisher, so that he can keep his Vietnam Vet backstory, was once cut up into pieces by Wolverine's son and so Morbius the Living Vampire stitched him back together so he was Frankencastle for a while till Doctor Strange fixed him up for realsies and thus keeps him young.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Exactly, except Gravity Falls merchandise would look better. Phineas and Ferb characters kinda don't look good when you add a third dimension to them.

That show debuted a little bit before I stopped watching Nickelodeon, so I only caught a few episodes when it started up. I caught it when it was on Netflix a long time ago and I thought it was excellent. It's definitely something that I could have gotten into as a kid, but as an adult you appreciate the show even more. I'd dare to say that it's the best old-school Nicktoon, although I still love Rocko's Modern Life (there's something to be said about a kid's show that dropped a Scientology dis).

They still have Phineas and Ferb stuff for Disney Infinity. It's god-awful.

Then there's this...

Also, what Rocko Scientology joke? I googled but I couldn't find anything..

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Punisher, so that he can keep his Vietnam Vet backstory, was once cut up into pieces by Wolverine's son and so Morbius the Living Vampire stitched him back together so he was Frankencastle for a while till Doctor Strange fixed him up for realsies and thus keeps him young.

Magneto's going to be like 100 soon, despite going from being a teenager in WWII in the early 80s to a little kid by the time of the first movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ThermoPhysical posted:

They still have Phineas and Ferb stuff for Disney Infinity. It's god-awful.

Then there's this...

I think that... thing... probably singlehandedly killed off Disney's interest in the show. And I can't blame them one bit. I wonder what it's like being the person responsible for that existing.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This is my favorite video featuring an old Nick game show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDuyl23BN9A

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder how much of a train wreck it was backstage on that show. It seems like managing a bunch of different technical equipment on a low budget show in the 90s would be a nightmare.

Add to that the standard problems of working with small children.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sleeveless posted:

I think that trying to have a serious overarching plot was a wrong move, as evidenced by the first Hey Arnold movie bombing so terribly. Finding out that Arnold's parents are actually alive in the jungle somewhere and he goes to rescue them and the big twist ending is that his last name actually is "Shortman" and it's not just a term of endearment from his Grandpa is the kind of thing that's funny to read about after the fact but probably wouldn't have meshed at all with the actual show.

In retrospect it very much feels like The Simpsons in the way that they created such a big cast of characters and was able to use them all to great effect. If anything it's even more impressive because Hey Arnold is so much more grounded and small-scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByZ1-8eLCW4&t=646s

part of the reason the Movie bombed so hard was that it was never intended to be a theatrical production at all, it was originally going to be a TV Movie, and then Nick decided to put it in theaters for some retarded reason which torpedoed the plans for The Jungle Movie(which was the movie they wanted to do for theaters) and lead to the series being canned, meanwhile the plans for The Patakis spinoff died due to it being too mature for Nickelodeon at the time and MTV not wanting it due to it being superficially similar to Daria(which had recently ended if I recall properly at the time)

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder how much of a train wreck it was backstage on that show. It seems like managing a bunch of different technical equipment on a low budget show in the 90s would be a nightmare.

Add to that the standard problems of working with small children.

from what I read online Nick Arcade actually ran pretty smoothly outside of the technical issues with their more involved homebrew games(helps that the host was apparently really good at handling the contestants both on-screen and off), indeed the only game show that seemed to regularly have any issues was Legends of The Hidden Temple, and that was more due to it being one of the hardest children's game shows to have ever existed(seriously compared to a lot of other game shows for kids it has an abysmal win ratio)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I really didn't like Hey Arnold much after about probably season 3 or so, but this is probably my favorite scene of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5X5vqt2n-k

Everybody's such an rear end in a top hat. It's glorious.

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is my favorite video featuring an old Nick game show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDuyl23BN9A

Apologies if I'm missing something completely obvious, but what did that one kid get wrong when he answered Batman, Indiana Jones and Freddy Kreuger (at 1:24)?