Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Director LeVar Burton's camera work during this extended Janeway-in-a-bubblebath scene is full of echoes of Bergman's work with frame and balance

aaaaaand Q just kissed the sole of her long toenail'd foot. No wonder this episode was never included in the collection I received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Director LeVar Burton's camera work during this extended Janeway-in-a-bubblebath scene is full of echoes of Bergman's work with frame and balance

aaaaaand Q just kissed the sole of her long toenail'd foot. No wonder this episode was never included in the collection I received.

I always knew LeVar Burton had a foot fetish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcRg2RiLKzo

revolther
May 27, 2008
loving Picard risk all of human civilization rather than kick someone's teeth in.

Picard Maneuver: Use warp in close proximity to confuse the enemy.

Sisko Maneuver: Rock all your space gods in the face and give them their walking papers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gazorra is a goddamned galactic treasure

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What is the Janeway Maneuver? Repeatedly fall victim to the simplistic wiles of ragged bands of Kazon raiders? Make doe eyes at every tall male Caucasian six foot alien that could star in a Just for Men commercial? Immediate flight into any and every nearby nebula?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

opus111 posted:

whats your fav Tos?

The Doomsday Machine.

In addition to being a fun episode overall, the music is legit awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAfEXDCsRmg&t=410s

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

revolther posted:

loving Picard risk all of human civilization rather than kick someone's teeth in.

Picard Maneuver: Use warp in close proximity to confuse the enemy.

Sisko Maneuver: Rock all your space gods in the face and give them their walking papers.

The Yaos maneuver: Attach engines to a giant asteroid, speed it up to just below c, change its orbit to hit the enemy planet.

I lied, I stole that from Independence War.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

What is the Janeway Maneuver? Repeatedly fall victim to the simplistic wiles of ragged bands of Kazon raiders? Make doe eyes at every tall male Caucasian six foot alien that could star in a Just for Men commercial? Immediate flight into any and every nearby nebula?

Blaming Harry

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Fun fact: Odo can never sleep on a plane cause he's way more than 3.4 ounces.

Also 'The Obsidian Order' might be the most badass name for anything ever.

Also DS9 rules.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

FrensaGeran posted:

Also DS9 rules.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

The Doomsday Machine.

In addition to being a fun episode overall, the music is legit awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAfEXDCsRmg&t=410s

I'm going to agree with this choice. Decker's descent into guilt-stricken insanity is some of the best acting in the series. Also it features my favorite type of macguffin, the arbitrarily advanced ancient alien artifact.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

FrensaGeran posted:

Also 'The Obsidian Order' might be the most badass name for anything ever.
I've always wanted a Obsidian Order vs Tal Shiar vs Section 31 vs V'Shar bottle episode that made full use of the available technology. 43 minutes of non stop octuple-crossing using clones, replicated faces, cloaked guns, illegal holograms and intel dead drops inside a hapless Bajoran. Nobody else would have a clue what was going on to the life or death spy war going on around them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I've always wanted a Obsidian Order vs Tal Shiar vs Section 31 vs V'Shar bottle episode that made full use of the available technology. 43 minutes of non stop octuple-crossing using clones, replicated faces, cloaked guns, illegal holograms and intel dead drops inside a hapless Bajoran. Nobody else would have a clue what was going on to the life or death spy war going on around them.

Also throw in a Klingon Secret Spy Agency except they're really bad at being sneaky and just end up trying to solve all their problems by stabbing people with bat'leths.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Entropic posted:

Also throw in a Klingon Secret Spy Agency except they're really bad at being sneaky and just end up trying to solve all their problems by stabbing people with bat'leths.

I was going to include the KSSA but figured involving a spy agency where every effective spy action was met with cries of being a PetaQ that should be thrown out of the high council chambers for being an honorless disgrace would hobble the narrative flow. Maybe the Klingon spy would make a cameo appearance where he calls into the Klingon homeworld to inform them of the greater spy war only to be told to gently caress off and never call in again unless it was to make an apology for not being a warrior.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Yeah, I know. But if I say "TMP's theme is my favorite" everyone will give me a blank stare.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

Blaming Harry

Harry is such a spectacular bumblefuck on every level that he makes Barclay look suave and Troi look competent. I have to imagine Janeway kept him around as an emergency food supply/human shield. It would explain why they kept dragging him along whenever there was a "senior officers" meeting despite his perpetual ensign status.

I still can't believe I'm stuck watching his gormless mug for the next couple seasons. Apparently there's a three-clam carrying capacity on Voyager because as soon as they got 7 of 9 they dumped Kess harder than Harry Kim after every first date he's ever been on. But not before giving her 40's Hollywood starlet hair? :confused:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

tmp is one of the most underrated elements of star trek there is.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mr. Horrible posted:

Harry is such a spectacular bumblefuck on every level that he makes Barclay look suave and Troi look competent. I have to imagine Janeway kept him around as an emergency food supply/human shield. It would explain why they kept dragging him along whenever there was a "senior officers" meeting despite his perpetual ensign status.

Somebody's gotta serve the coffee

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That would be getting hit once and harry saying, "our warp drive is out".

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Harry's station was connected to a small box that simulated responses, and his command shifts were really on the holodeck.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

opus111 posted:

tmp is one of the most underrated elements of star trek there is.

I watched it my first time while high and I though it was the weed that made everything so goddamn slow and boring, I fell asleep twice. Checked it out again the next day and no, it is a really pretty movie, but so goddamn boring. "Let's stare at this space dock for ten minutes while the orchestra plays. REALLY NEAT, HUH?"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Naxuz posted:

I watched it my first time while high and I though it was the weed that made everything so goddamn slow and boring, I fell asleep twice. Checked it out again the next day and no, it is a really pretty movie, but so goddamn boring. "Let's stare at this space dock for ten minutes while the orchestra plays. REALLY NEAT, HUH?"

TMP is a 10/10 blaze it flick though, because you can goggle at the lovely effects and soundtrack for what feels like hours and ignore how aimless the plot is, how flat the characters are, and how poorly the Shat fits into his new uniform which, however, is way better than that bright red shoulder strapped turtleneck poo poo the rest of the movies stuck them in. Even with the weird built in fanny pack.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I love Star Trek, and I love navel-gazing 70's space movies, but I couldn't make it through TMP.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Naxuz posted:

"Let's stare at this space dock for ten minutes while the orchestra plays. REALLY NEAT, HUH?"

Yeah it is, the Enterprise is a character and she got the reintroduction she rightly deserved. TMP took it's pacing a bit far in places and yeah, it's something you gotta be in the mood for (It's a shame the Director's Cut was only ever rendered in SD, it tightens things up) but I prefer it and it's flaws to the modern style of having no pacing at all and the story being a lame excuse to get to the next CGI setpiece.

skasion posted:

TMP is a 10/10 blaze it flick though, because you can goggle at the lovely effects and soundtrack for what feels like hours and ignore how aimless the plot is, how flat the characters are, and how poorly the Shat fits into his new uniform which, however, is way better than that bright red shoulder strapped turtleneck poo poo the rest of the movies stuck them in. Even with the weird built in fanny pack.

Whoa whoa whoa did someone just poo poo on the TWoK uniforms? I've literally never seen or even heard of that happening before.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

doctorfrog posted:

Harry's station was connected to a small box that simulated responses, and his command shifts were really on the holodeck.

this made me lol

harry kim is the guy in your band whose amp you just turn way down

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The TMP uniforms were dumb as gently caress because it came off as a rich old white guy taking his yacht out for the weekend. The 2-6 uniforms owned because they looked like some legit naval military poo poo. That's my story thanks for listening.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I can't make it through any of the original movies, how the gently caress did Kirstie Alley make it into like every one of the movies, with lines no less?

I always switch them off assuming one day I'll watch whatever one had Shelly Long.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

revolther posted:

I can't make it through any of the original movies, how the gently caress did Kirstie Alley make it into like every one of the movies, with lines no less?

I always switch them off assuming one day I'll watch whatever one had Shelly Long.

if you cant make it through undiscovered country idk what to tell you

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

revolther posted:

Wow, someone who thinks Robin Curtis looks anything at all like Kirstie Alley.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Powered Descent posted:

Wow, someone who thinks Robin Curtis looks anything at all like Kirstie Alley.

kirstie alley is in star trek tho

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fetus Tree posted:

That klingon guy shouting shakespeare quotes is way more utterly stupid on rewatch than I remembered it being as a kid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

kirstie alley is in star trek tho

You don't say

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Entropic posted:

That klingon guy shouting shakespeare quotes is way more utterly stupid on rewatch than I remembered it being as a kid.

All of the Shakespeare stuff was a huge inside joke about Shatner and Plummer.

Back in the 50's Shatner was Christopher Plummer's understudy at Stratford. They were doing some Shakespearian play, and Plummer hurt himself (banging some chick) and couldn't go on stage, and that was one of Shatner's big breaks.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
plummer doing shakespear poo poo in star trek as a klingon actually owns

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

I really disliked most of that movie tbh. Knockoff Khan and Whose Shoes Are They Anyway in particular. But I enjoyed the beginning and the ending, as well as the fact that it was so optimistic about the future. No more war with the Klingons!

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Oh drat, just started watching an episode of Voyager where some alien is giving the crew nightmares.

Tuvok: shows up on the bridge naked
Paris: loses control of his shuttle
Janeway: the crew dies before she can get them home
Harry Kim: gets kissed by a girl :gonk:

I guess Starfleet only lets gay Asian men join the bridge crew?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blistex posted:

All of the Shakespeare stuff was a huge inside joke about Shatner and Plummer.

Back in the 50's Shatner was Christopher Plummer's understudy at Stratford. They were doing some Shakespearian play, and Plummer hurt himself (banging some chick) and couldn't go on stage, and that was one of Shatner's big breaks.

I'm not even sure it was so much of an inside joke (except maybe only between Shatner and Plummer) as it was the director being a huge fan of old British actors and giggling with glee at being able to film one really chewing the scenery with his favorite Shakespeare quotes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr. Horrible posted:

Oh drat, just started watching an episode of Voyager where some alien is giving the crew nightmares.

Tuvok: shows up on the bridge naked
Paris: loses control of his shuttle
Janeway: the crew dies before she can get them home
Harry Kim: gets kissed by a girl :gonk:

I guess Starfleet only lets gay Asian men join the bridge crew?

Harry's afraid because he knows Captain Janeway will bust his balls, or Tom Paris will replace the woman with livestock, or the woman will actually turn out to be some kind of praying-mantis like creature

seriously that show seemed to delight in tormenting Harry Kim for ever having a lustful thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It's like they wanted to replicate that DS9 had going on with Obrien, except with Obrien he was a normal likable guy that would have terrible stuff happen to him sometimes. Harry exists solely to stand around and have horrible things happen to him, thus none of the audience gives a poo poo

• Locked thread