Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The CQC in 3 is crazy and I didn't know about all the options I had until after I finished the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

For a series with such a focus on stealth mechanics they've added neat ways to not be stealthy and murder the poo poo out of everyone. That's really cool and I wish more games would do that instead of having a crappy mixed bag (payday cough cough).

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

In Training posted:

The CQC in 3 is crazy and I didn't know about all the options I had until after I finished the game

Interrogating and the stuff from the things they drop when you do it makes higher difficulty runs way easier at least for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eye of Widesauron posted:

For a series with such a focus on stealth mechanics they've added neat ways to not be stealthy and murder the poo poo out of everyone. That's really cool and I wish more games would do that instead of having a crappy mixed bag (payday cough cough).

In 3 and beyond they made the lethal stuff the easy "get out of jail free" card and made getting through stealthily more like a puzzle game, which is the best way to make games like that fun for both plays tykes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish it was Wednesday, July 1st.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Most Modern stealth games are like this - in Dishonored you get chastised for utilizing your huge arsenal of gruesome weaponry and powers, and in the new Deus Ex you have like exploding wrist blades and homing cluster bombs in your eyes and stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Most Modern stealth games are like this - in Dishonored you get chastised for utilizing your huge arsenal of gruesome weaponry and powers, and in the new Deus Ex you have like exploding wrist blades and homing cluster bombs in your eyes and stuff.

Using the invisibility cloak to waltz up to a group of enemies and popping the 360 degree concussive blast aug was so badass. The new game is going to rule.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

Deus ex actively hosed you over if you went pure stealth when you hit the bosses unless you had a taser or gas mines. I'm glad to see that they fixed this in the updated edition by giving the bosses bigger rooms with stealth options like activating turrets and stuff.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I wish it was Wednesday, July 1st.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

Absolutely do not skip MGS2

yeah mgs2 is cool because its still classic mgs

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Deus ex actively hosed you over if you went pure stealth when you hit the bosses unless you had a taser or gas mines. I'm glad to see that they fixed this in the updated edition by giving the bosses bigger rooms with stealth options like activating turrets and stuff.

its a scam too, you can stealth perfectly fine without any of the augs which i did my last playthrough

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

not that id WANT them to make it so you couldnt stealth without that lovely invisibility cloak or something

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Well they outsourced those boss fights originally so the upgraded edition is basically the actual developers version.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In Training posted:

the first time i got to the last boss of mgs4 i didnt realize they changed the entire control scheme so i did the entire fight just doing cqc chokes and slams like some sort of geriatric pro wrestler

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I don't think there exists on these forums a more YOSPOS name than that.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

geriatric pro wrestler

You leave big papa pump out of this

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Busta Chimes.wav

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't think there exists on these forums a more YOSPOS name than that.

Lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Planning on using my Ground Zeroes slot to finish 100% the game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I waited until the end of the Steam sale to play Ground Zeroes and it was a huge f*cking mistake. Phantom Pain is going to rule.

I want to play Peace Walker but I got my PS3 second-hand from some idiot who got it banned it from PSN somehow and I want to co-op it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I waited until the end of the Steam sale to play Ground Zeroes and it was a huge f*cking mistake. Phantom Pain is going to rule.

I want to play Peace Walker but I got my PS3 second-hand from some idiot who got it banned it from PSN somehow and I want to co-op it

You should be able to get it unbanned unless it got banned for some sort of hardware mod or something weird like that. It takes phone calls and stuff though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Can't you just make a new PSN?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

Can't you just make a new PSN?
It's something to do with it being tied to the console ID. :shrug:

Tried talking to Sony about it sometime last year but didn't really get anywhere.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's something to do with it being tied to the console ID. :shrug:

Tried talking to Sony about it sometime last year but didn't really get anywhere.

That sucks. Good luck figuring it out if you can. How does the PW co-op work, anyway? Can we say, play the entire campaign with the same group of people?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I read about it and it seems 2 people could do all of the main missions with 4 player boss fights. Sick. Interestingly, Kojima called Peace Walker "the MGS5 inside me" in an interview in 2009, which makes sense considering TPP looks like Peace Walker x1000. Cool

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While you can solo most bosses there's one that requires some pinpoint timing in order to beat. PW also has three really really great boss battles

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
My copy of the Legacy Collection has shipped. I'm ready.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

hearing phantom pain would have fewer cutscenes was disappointing at first but then i remembered how sick all the cutscenes in peace walker were

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
as a youth I loved the long cut scenes and cinematic experience of older mgs games. now as a mature and discerning gam,er who values gameplay over all, I can fall in love with the mgs series all over again thanks to the finely tuned gameplay and mechanics of the more recent releases

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the cutscene in ground zero is insanely good so I'm thinking they're less overall but still good length and peerless cinematography

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

apropos to nothing posted:

as a youth I loved the long cut scenes and cinematic experience of older mgs games. now as a mature and discerning gam,er who values gameplay over all, I can fall in love with the mgs series all over again thanks to the finely tuned gameplay and mechanics of the more recent releases

thats basically what happened to me after i fell out of it for a couple years

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

mgs3 probably has some of the best pacing ive seen in a game with how it slowly ramps up the difficulty and the levels just kepe getting cooler

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I loved how shadow moses, the tanker, big shell, were all pretty open but contained, and you knew where you had to go because it was blocked off and you needed a keycard... mgs3 was a little confusing and then mgs4 was too linear

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

mgs3 was a little confusing

die

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

mgs3 was a little confusing

:cripes:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mgs3 is basically a perfect game

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

apropos to nothing posted:

I loving hated cutscene in any game when I was a kid. I beat metal gear 1 and 2 without watching a single cutscene and skipping every codec convo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's tons of psx era games I would have rented and beaten but remember nothing about because I skipped every single cutscene in the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can respect that for most any game , except metal gear because it's one of the few that does cutscenes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Crab Battle

• Locked thread