Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
We've been talking about unusual stoner rock instruments, and also Brant Bjork, so how about a Bros. track with some nice horns and flutes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXaAgoW3HA
The heavier version from Punk Rock Guilt is one of my absolute favorite Brant tunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTVTF6ZB_K8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Any suggestions about where to start? I don't know anything about Giant Squid at all.
The Ichthyologist

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Ichthyologist

Listened to this at work some today and I'm hooked. I'm a sucker for the aquatic motif and an icthyologist is what I would have told you I wanted to be when I was eight. Also they used to be called Namor, that's some serious points with me as well.

Kinda wish their bandcamp was set up more for digital sales but them's the breaks. Can't wait for the physical copies to get here.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
That's the kind of review that will get me to check a band out.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
https://netherregions.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-breach

Impressive debut album, some real thrashy sludge, or sludgey thrash, depending on how you look at it. Reminds me a bit of High On Fire.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

NYC is the closest this is coming to me. Don't know if I can make it, but I will do my best. Should be a good show.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Detective Thompson posted:

NYC is the closest this is coming to me. Don't know if I can make it, but I will do my best. Should be a good show.

And an album teaser from Grief's Infernal Flower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SVak04OduQ&t=104s

Sounds good to me. Slow and haunting.

EDIT - Windhand and Monolord? gently caress… of course they are going no where near Florida.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I was all like "yess!" expecting to see a few more East Coast dates closer to me, but no.... :(

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I was all like "yess!" expecting to see a few more East Coast dates closer to me, but no.... :(

I was hoping for a Tennessee (Knoxville, Chattanooga, or Nashville), Asheville, or even Atlanta show, but nooooo. I am going to think about it, but I might go to the Columbus show. 5 and half hour drive from Knoxville, but it will be worth it. I am still holding out for more dates (perfect would be one of the off days of 11/9 or 11/10, because they will be right in the Tennessee region).

I have to see Monolord.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

skasion posted:

Yeah this. I like it way better than any other Thou full-length, they only really have one mood and it's so aggressive and...down, for want of a better word that after about half an hour of it I'm usually done. I like their EPs better mostly, but Heathen really struck me as listenable by contrast to any of the other full albums, it's got a much warmer/fuzz-heavy sound than any of their other stuff and comes off as much livelier/more passionate rather than just loud and harsh. also Free Will is a drat good track.

Agreed on all fronts. I think all of their stuff is pretty passionate, but Heathen is definitely livelier and the most varied of their full lengths. And yeah Free Will is the best song they've done I reckon, apart from maybe some of the shorter more aggressive tracks like "Pill" off the Sacrifice EP.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Detective Thompson posted:

Jeez, they're gonna play the Astoria when they come to Vancouver? That show is gonna be packed. I hope Danava make it across the border this time.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm so loving happy that I'm seeing Monolord holy poo poo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nerve posted:

I'm so loving happy that I'm seeing Monolord holy poo poo

I am travelling 7+ hours from Boston to Buffalo just to see Windhand and Monolord.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

If my work schedule is still the same later this summer, I'm going to be doing three days of Lollapalooza + writing about it, working until 8:30 or 9 the next day, hopping on a train to Pilsen, which is in the middle of nowhere, catching this show, getting home super late, working until 10 the next day, and then sleeping for four days straight.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

New High on Fire is so good!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I am travelling 7+ hours from Boston to Buffalo just to see Windhand and Monolord.

Can't speak for Monolord but Windhand are nowhere near good enough to make that kind of trip. They're not bad musicians or anything, but the music is pretty boring and they're not particularly impressive as a live act.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The distances some of you routinely travel for shows are honestly amazing to me. I know that the UK is a tiny island and all but if I have to travel more than an hour one way to see a band it's definitely enough to make me think twice. London is about 120 miles from here and that requires a pretty loving special lineup. Although I do really hate going to London.

I would like to see Monolord, mind.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

If being in NJ is good for one thing, it's that pretty much every noteworthy show rolls through the general area somewhere within 2 hours distance

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

big scary monsters posted:

The distances some of you routinely travel for shows are honestly amazing to me. I know that the UK is a tiny island and all but if I have to travel more than an hour one way to see a band it's definitely enough to make me think twice. London is about 120 miles from here and that requires a pretty loving special lineup. Although I do really hate going to London.

america big

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

nerve posted:

america big

Yeah, imo all the good bands should just move to Europe and tour here continuously, it's like twice the population in half the space.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Windhand's new album Grief's Infernal Flower is out on Sept 18. That's the cover art on that list of tour dates.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

Can't speak for Monolord but Windhand are nowhere near good enough to make that kind of trip. They're not bad musicians or anything, but the music is pretty boring and they're not particularly impressive as a live act.

To be fair I have other business to do in Buffalo but the show is definitely a plus for me.

Normally I won't drive 7 hours to see a band unless maybe it's a festival.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

chunkles posted:

Windhand's new album Grief's Infernal Flower is out on Sept 18. That's the cover art on that list of tour dates.

I also posted a video with teasers of the tracks after the tour dates post in case anyone wants to hear it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Varg posted:

If being in NJ is good for one thing, it's that pretty much every noteworthy show rolls through the general area somewhere within 2 hours distance

Yeah this is one reason I love living in NYC. Other than festivals, I think the farthest I ever really have to travel for shows is like an hour to go to MetLife stadium or Jones Beach or something.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

re: horns chat a little bit ago - I had this stuck in my head and couldn't remember where this was from until now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ocueobWkA

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
burnt offering was pretty cool too

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Elrobot posted:

burnt offering was pretty cool too

Something Wicked This Way Comes was better, although The Dark Saga had some really good poo poo and it was about Spawn

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Lord Mantis EP coming:

http://www.lordmantis.com/2015/06/26/new-ep-nice-teeth-whore-recorded-and-coming-soon/

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Whoa, I wasn't expecting something new so soon. Sweet.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm unable to go to the Crowbar/Lord Dying show in Worcester, MA today. I have two free tickets if anybody wants them.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I saw Weirding demolish a tiny little room last night. Their new 10" is real good: http://weirding.bandcamp.com/

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Interested to see how much the lineup change as affected their sound/direction.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just a head's up but Windhand's next album is up for pre-order now and if you're wanting one of those fancy pants limited vinyl colors it may be a good idea to get in early.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

big scary monsters posted:

I feel the same, but some of it is just the entitlement of living in a city that gets a ton of shows and is bigger than the nearest cities they are playing :mad: (f u Baltimore/Richmond)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cult of Luna, Kylesa, Minsk and some others are doing a week-long mini-tour of North America this September. For some reason they are going from Chicago to Vancouver in one night.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cult of Luna, Kylesa, Minsk and some others are doing a week-long mini-tour of North America this September. For some reason they are going from Chicago to Vancouver in one night.

Just saw on Profound Lore's twitter that SubRosa is also joining them for some West Coast dates.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Catch me at the next show, I will be the guy who bought a record before anything started and will be holding it up in the air the whole night so it will not be crushed

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Stravinsky posted:

Catch me at the next show, I will be the guy who bought a record before anything started and will be holding it up in the air the whole night so it will not be crushed

I spotted a dude at Maryland Deathfest who was up against the barrier for Amorphis, cradling his limited MDF edition Tales from the Thousand Lakes vinyl like a newborn.

I don't know how you guys do it. I can't buy a shirt without worrying about dropping it and losing it in the crowd.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Just wear the shirt!

Where do I start with Ningen Isu?

chunkles fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
My friend Steve is heading out on the road for a short tour with not one but two bands! Sea and Olde Growth will be doing eight dates in a kinda funky loop from Philly to Jersey. If you got the time, check 'em out.

FRI 7/3: Philadelphia, PA
@The Pharmacy

SUN 7/5: Pittsburgh, PA
@The Shop

MON 7/6: Lexington, KY
@Al's Bar

TUE 7/7: Chicago, IL
@Mt. Happy

WED 7/8: Milwaukee, WI
@Cocoon Room

FRI 7/10: Cleveland, OH
@Euclid Tavern

SAT 7/11: Buffalo, NY
@Northrup House

SUN 7/12: New Brunswick, NJ
@TBA

Liz, one of the guitarists for Sea, also does the art for the band (among others) and she made a cool poster for the show.

She also did this killer thing for Rozamov.

Speaking of Rozamov, did anyone post the split they did with Deathkings when it came out? If not, check it out, it's pretty drat good.

https://rozamov.bandcamp.com/album/rozamov-deathkings-split-7inch

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 2, 2015