Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Fungal blooms are like flowers!

Triffids have flowers as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Fungal blooms are like flowers!

Triffids have flowers as well!

I don't think that would be very relaxing...

Though I do have a Charge Rifle that I built for myself now. Maybe that would be cathartic in a different way. It's not as firing as the A7 I presume but I'm fiddling with it and I can make explosions with it apparently.

Edit: Oh my God I love this gun.

Edit: Ahahah the heavy rail rifle sounds hilarious. I might work on that next.

Edit: Awww man, the rifle isn't as damaging as it looks like. I tested it on a hulk and it was a bit underwhelming compared to something like the Saiga.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 24, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

It's my favorite show

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, can military outposts have A7 laser rifles? The Charge Rifle is pretty cool but it isn't all that effective, it seems. My quest for the energy rifle resumes I suppose. :(

In other news, I just turned on adrenaline boost, uncanny dodge, hydraulic muscles, and a few other CBMs I dug out of the last, horribly long and confusing, lab that I was in. Then I went to go fight a hulk.

I gibbed the hulk in 3~ turns and took no damage. Drains a lot of bionic power though. Good thing I found a giant barrel of whiskey in the last mansion I was in.

Edit: Like the user above, I enjoyed observing a giant mosquito slowly whittle down a zombear for a while. The zombear couldn't hit the mosquito at all. It was oddly thrilling.

Edit: Though the explosion WOULD make sure as hell that necromancers are dead, and the drat thing does have absurd range. I'm still pretty happy with it!

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 24, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, the bullwhip is ridiculous. It's my only weapon so far in this lab run and I'm whacking a manhack to death. It's permanently stunned apparently and I can't damage it. Meanwhile both melee and marksmanship are getting trained. I'm level 5 in both already and it hasn't even been a day yet.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wait the bullwhip works for that? I need to pull it out.

Do martial arts all base off of the same Unarmed Combat Skill? If you raise that skill are you in effect raising all of your MA abilities?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends on the martial art, some of them are weapons-based and I believe use different skills to unlock more attacks, but most of the unarmed ones use unarmed to determine what attacks you can perform, yes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

Ok, the bullwhip is ridiculous. It's my only weapon so far in this lab run and I'm whacking a manhack to death. It's permanently stunned apparently and I can't damage it. Meanwhile both melee and marksmanship are getting trained. I'm level 5 in both already and it hasn't even been a day yet.

Oh wow I saw a bullwhip yesterday and ignored it because I thought 'yeah right a whip is going to be super useful against zombies and robots :jerkbag:'

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, the different unarmed martial arts are just stances that you set using _ (underscore). They apply various modifiers and special abilities to your unarmed fighting. The weapon-using martial arts function similarly, but they only work with certain weapons as opposed to only working with empty hands.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So fencing would go with my piercing weapons skills, Taekwondo with my unarmed, etc. etc?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Artificer posted:

So fencing would go with my piercing weapons skills, Taekwondo with my unarmed, etc. etc?

Sort of. Fencing only works with very specific weapons - I think canes, rapiers, broadswords, and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting. Taekwondo will work with all empty-handed attacks, yes. However, neither of them will have any effect until you specifically activate them using the stances command. You can only have one stance active at a time, as far as I know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is a shame because fencing would be more interesting if you could kick box at the same time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Or beatbox.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
One thing I'm sort of surprised isn't in the game already is boxed, shelf-stable milk. Just treat it like an MRE or a jar of something, you have an inedible base item that when activated turns into a cardboard box of milk and starts the rot timer.

Moridin920 posted:

Oh wow I saw a bullwhip yesterday and ignored it because I thought 'yeah right a whip is going to be super useful against zombies and robots :jerkbag:'

You were half right. It does like 3 damage to zombies and jack poo poo against anything with armor, but it stuns like crazy, which works against anything. Whip a mi-go a couple times, switch to your gun and shoot it a couple times, repeat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dareon posted:

One thing I'm sort of surprised isn't in the game already is boxed, shelf-stable milk. Just treat it like an MRE or a jar of something, you have an inedible base item that when activated turns into a cardboard box of milk and starts the rot timer.

There actually is powdered milk in the game, if that's close enough to what you're talking about.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mutations of a line (plant, cephalopod, lupine, etc.) make it so that you are locked out of other lines right? So if you're deep into a line but haven't crossed the threshold yet, and you inject another kind of serum, you start losing your original mutations first and then you get the mutations of the new line?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

Dareon posted:

I somewhat doubt you'd find UHT milk in common grocery stores in New England; partially because of a good supply of regular milk, and partially because it tastes completely different from regular milk. Powdered milk, at least, has some applications in baking and tastes more like milk.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There actually is powdered milk in the game, if that's close enough to what you're talking about.

Functionally very similar (If some assembly required), but I'm talking literally a cardboard box of liquid milk.

Artificer posted:

Mutations of a line (plant, cephalopod, lupine, etc.) make it so that you are locked out of other lines right? So if you're deep into a line but haven't crossed the threshold yet, and you inject another kind of serum, you start losing your original mutations first and then you get the mutations of the new line?

Nah, you can have cat ears and tentacles and bug wings and all that. Some mutations belong to multiple categories, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to lock you out of things based on that. Some lines do have opposing mutations, though, like Alpha has Pretty while Raptor has Ugly.

e:

Galm posted:

I somewhat doubt you'd find UHT milk in common grocery stores in New England; partially because of a good supply of regular milk, and partially because it tastes completely different from regular milk. Powdered milk, at least, has some applications in baking and tastes more like milk.

I might be working a bit too much from my own regional experience, yeah, because you can find shelf-stable milk practically anywhere in Alaska. Although I'd take mild issue with your last sentence, because powdered tastes way off regular milk to me. Of course, shelf-stable does taste different from either of the other two.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 24, 2015

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Artificer posted:

Not quite. A few mutations are opposed and cancel each other out, but you can go fully down one tree and partially down others. As an example, my current character's across the arachnid threshold and maxed on that mutation tree, but he's also got bark and leaves mutations from the plant tree. He can't cross the plant threshold to get the deeper mutations though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Artificer posted:

No. A lot of mutations cancel each other out, so if you roll Ponderous you lose Fleet-footed and vice-versa, and I think if you have an absolutely massive number you sometimes simply fail to acquire new ones, but threshold exclusivity only applies to the actual threshold.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What happens when mutations conflict with your birth traits? For example if I start with Sleepy but inject alpha serum until I roll Less Sleep, am I then just sleep average or does the mutation override Sleepy entirely and leave me with all the benefits of Less Sleep? What if I then purify that mutation away, do I get Sleepy back?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mzbundifund posted:

What happens when mutations conflict with your birth traits? For example if I start with Sleepy but inject alpha serum until I roll Less Sleep, am I then just sleep average or does the mutation override Sleepy entirely and leave me with all the benefits of Less Sleep? What if I then purify that mutation away, do I get Sleepy back?

They can overwrite your traits, I've seen ugly change to pretty, so you might be able to get a few extra points taking traits that will be reversed by your planned mutations.

Purifier would give sleepy back in your example, it tries to get you back to your base character at creation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ro5s posted:

Purifier would give sleepy back in your example, it tries to get you back to your base character at creation.

Actually, there's a very good chance it won't. The purifier "back to character creation" thing is bugged, and will often fail to restore starting traits if they were overridden by a conflicting mutation. It works for both positive and negative -- I used this to cheese an Alpha character with Poor Hearing, Ugly, and Strong Scent for +4 free points, but also nearly lost Night Vision the same way.

I say "nearly" because even though it erases the traits, the game still remembers that they're supposed to be traits and not mutations. So if you re-mutate a trait that you took at character creation, then purifier won't remove it. (This is also why multi-step upgrade mutations are usually, though not always, immune to this bug/exploit.)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Welp, I've made it to day six thanks to finding a big stash of guns and ammo. I've cleared two mansions that both had huge libraries and am reading everything I can get my hands on. I even found and learned some kung fu from that Five Rings book. My next task: make a bow and some arrows before I run out of ammo for the guns.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The loving Plasma Gun sounds so cool but since it is powered by Hydrogen as its ammo, it seems prohibitively difficult to use it.

Unlike my new fusion rifle. Oooh baby.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 25, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Latest highlight from the Gitwatch:

quote:

Added nodachi and diamond nodachi to Niten Ichi-Ryu's weapon list

Kinda strange considering that the book that teaches it dedicated a chapter to how terrible the nodachi is, but I'm looking forward to gibbing three zombies at once.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The fusion rifle seems to be nearly identical to the A7 rifle, but it uses more energy and it has no burstfire mode.

But it is really explosive/incendiary, which is nice as well.

Plus I actually have the thing, whereas the A7 remains my next white whale, so.

Edit: Why did it say the Nodachi was terrible? In any case I'm staying with my rapier + fencing because it just seems cooler for me for whatever reason.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

Edit: Why did it say the Nodachi was terrible? In any case I'm staying with my rapier + fencing because it just seems cooler for me for whatever reason.

He seemed to feel that schools that used it were too focused on keeping the enemy at a distance, instead of focusing on winning, and that it put the wielder at a significant disadvantage against a too-close enemy or in enclosed spaces. He called it 'the inferior strategy of a weak spirit'.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

How can I raise my construction skill from 6 to 9 in the fastest way possible so that I can get a well going ASAP?

Also, is there a way to directly move water from a source to a water tank in a car without breaking my back?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tehan posted:

He seemed to feel that schools that used it were too focused on keeping the enemy at a distance, instead of focusing on winning, and that it put the wielder at a significant disadvantage against a too-close enemy or in enclosed spaces. He called it 'the inferior strategy of a weak spirit'.

Well today we are ALL about keeping the enemy at a distance soooo I guess we all suck now. :v:

Grimman007 posted:

How can I raise my construction skill from 6 to 9 in the fastest way possible so that I can get a well going ASAP?

Also, is there a way to directly move water from a source to a water tank in a car without breaking my back?

You'll get better. Your spine will fix itself eventually.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Grimman007 posted:

I did this with gas, but it might work for water: pull the car up one tile away from the source, then use the source and it should give you an option to "fill up car".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Grimman007 posted:

Find a copy of The Complete Home Repair Guide, read it till it's no further benefit, then make and disassemble whatever construction job requires level 8 until it hits 9.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tarezax posted:

I did this with gas, but it might work for water: pull the car up one tile away from the source, then use the source and it should give you an option to "fill up car".

Nope, vehicle water tanks only accept 'clean water.' You'll have to fill up your water tanks one plastic jerrycan at a time.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Nope, vehicle water tanks only accept 'clean water.' You'll have to fill up your water tanks one plastic jerrycan at a time.

It isn't too bad if you've got a water purifier installed in the car though. Just drag it up, purify it, and drop it right in the tank.

Edit: I had no idea that books for Ninjutsu could spawn in Military Outposts. That's pretty cool. I still prefer Taekwondo/Fencing though.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 25, 2015

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
How do I make a foldable shopping cart that I can throw in the trunk of my car? I threw some casters and an extra light frame on a folding shopping basket thinking it would work but pressing ^ doesn't give me an option to fold it like with the folding bicycle.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think the foldable cart is built entirely separately, as an inventory item requiring the folding basket etc. to craft, and is then unfolded into a vehicle. I could be wrong, though - I'm pretty sure I only ever built one, and never bothered using it for much of anything.

Tehan posted:

Latest highlight from the Gitwatch:

Kinda strange considering that the book that teaches it dedicated a chapter to how terrible the nodachi is, but I'm looking forward to gibbing three zombies at once.

Where is my diamond battleaxe :colbert:

e: Also, where is my Berserker martial art that lets me use hammers to send zombies flying and axes to cleave Hulks in twain? If the samurai nerds get their dumb ninja superpowers than I should be able to get dumb viking superpowers :colbert:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 25, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I haven't played with folding vehicles much either, but I'm pretty sure you can only include parts on them that have the "FoldedVol:" value. Start from a foldable-light frame, add a folding basket, casters, and controls, and you might be good to go. I don't know how much else has a folding component, but I know I couldn't make a folding turret or generator.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tyrone Biggums posted:

How do I make a foldable shopping cart that I can throw in the trunk of my car? I threw some casters and an extra light frame on a folding shopping basket thinking it would work but pressing ^ doesn't give me an option to fold it like with the folding bicycle.

Add vehicle controls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think the foldable cart is built entirely separately, as an inventory item requiring the folding basket etc. to craft, and is then unfolded into a vehicle. I could be wrong, though - I'm pretty sure I only ever built one, and never bothered using it for much of anything.

Where is my diamond battleaxe :colbert:

e: Also, where is my Berserker martial art that lets me use hammers to send zombies flying and axes to cleave Hulks in twain? If the samurai nerds get their dumb ninja superpowers than I should be able to get dumb viking superpowers :colbert:

There really should be a Thunder Hammer craftable that lets you basically use a sledgehammer with like 10 strength as if you had 30. Runs off standard AA batteries, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I don't know if Mjolnir is actually on any spawn lists or if it's debug-only, but finding it would be hilarious.