Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah it's still available when you get a sim card and activate it, that's when you'll select the 30 plan.

https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/ActivateCodes.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

It is also only listed on their prepaid site.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

devilmonk posted:

I can't find a link to this "nerd plan" on the t-mobile site. Does it still exist?

"Other monthly plans"

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My iPhone 6 Plus has been rebooting like crazy all day, sometimes showing a blue-screen before doing so. I was about to try restoring my phone before I saw this suggesting other T-mo people are having the same issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Merv Burger posted:

It is also only listed on their prepaid site.

You can also roll into any Walmart and grab a kit from the shelf that's specifically for the nerd plan.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Can someone confirm how data stash/rollover works?

I remember it being something weird where you have to buy a 3GB plan and then go OVER the 3GB to get the 10GB data stash. Then data doesn't actually start rolling over until you use up the 10GB stash, and then extra data used starts rolling over the next month

So for example, and I right thinking it works like...

June - Use 1GB of 3GB plan data, data stash is not activated, no data rolls over
July - Use 3GB of plan data, data stash activates. Use 5GB of 10 GB data stash. Remaining data stash rolls over.
August - Use 2GB of plan data, 5GB of data stash remains, no data rolls over
September - Use 3GB of plan data, 5GB of remaining data stash, you run out of data at 8GB for the month.
October - Use 2GB of plan data, 1 GB rolls over
November - Use 3GB of plan data, plus 1GB of rolled over data, run out of data.

or if you wanted to speed up the process

June - Use 3GB of plan data, 10GB of data stash data, for 13GB of data total.
July - Use 1GB of plan data, 2GB of plan data roll over to August.

It seems weird to me that the plan actually encourages you to burn through that 10GB of the data stash to start seeing the benefits of rolling over unused data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, you have to have a 3+ GB plan and you get the 10 GB stash immediately or at least I did). Data doesn't roll over until you go through the 10 GB as you mentioned, though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Endless Mike posted:

No, you have to have a 3+ GB plan and you get the 10 GB stash immediately or at least I did). Data doesn't roll over until you go through the 10 GB as you mentioned, though.

Okay, so then it would be something like signing up for a 3GB plan.

June: Use 2 GB of 10GB data stash
July: Use 2 GB of 10GB data stash
Aug: Use 2 GB of 10GB data stash
Sept: Use 2 GB of 10GB data stash
Oct: Use 2 GB of 10GB data stash, data stash runs out.
Nov: Use 2GB of 3GB Data plan. 1GB rolls over.
Dec: Can use 4GB of Data Plan. Use 2GB, and 2GB rolls over.
Jan: Can use 5GB of Data Plan. Use 2GB, and 3GB rolls over.

It just seems weird to me. If I burned through the 10GB data stash in June immediately, by December I would actually have 6GB of rolled over data, plus 3GB of my monthly plan data, for 9GB of data instead of 4GB.

I use about 2GB of data a month, so that's why I am using those numbers.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Astro7x posted:

It just seems weird to me. If I burned through the 10GB data stash in June immediately, by December I would actually have 6GB of rolled over data, plus 3GB of my monthly plan data, for 9GB of data instead of 4GB.

Why don't you want to use your 10GB stash then? Just hook up the Netflix IV drip and let it ride until the bag is empty.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

My iPhone 6 Plus has been rebooting like crazy all day, sometimes showing a blue-screen before doing so. I was about to try restoring my phone before I saw this suggesting other T-mo people are having the same issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

It's happening to me with my 5S too. I've found disabling WiFi calling "fixed" it. So I don't have any reception at work now. I'm guessing some carrier settings got pushed out that broke it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

nimper posted:

Why don't you want to use your 10GB stash then? Just hook up the Netflix IV drip and let it ride until the bag is empty.

I use most of my data during my train commute into downtown Chicago. Your moving so fast on the train that signal changes and the video stalls making it a frustrating experience.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what's the catch with this latest Jump On Demand program?

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/jump-on-demand.htm

$15/mo, trade in your phone up to 3 times a year. Is this actually viable for getting the latest iPhone every year?

For example, an iPhone 6 16GB is $715 with tax in my area. Jump On Demand is $180/year. So can a used 1 year old 16GB iPhone sell for more than $535 to still not make Jump on Demand more affordable for yearly upgrades?

Edit: it looks like there is not insurance ($8 more), the damage fees are steep, and the $15 rate for the iPhone is a special introductory price and it will eventually go up

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 26, 2015

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Astro7x posted:

So what's the catch with this latest Jump On Demand program?

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/jump-on-demand.htm

$15/mo, trade in your phone up to 3 times a year. Is this actually viable for getting the latest iPhone every year?

For example, an iPhone 6 16GB is $715 with tax in my area. Jump On Demand is $180/year. So can a used 1 year old 16GB iPhone sell for more than $535 to still not make Jump on Demand more affordable for yearly upgrades?

Edit: it looks like there is not insurance ($8 more), the damage fees are steep, and the $15 rate for the iPhone is a special introductory price and it will eventually go up

It is really designed for people who are going to switch constantly. It's essentially the same price breaking a phone up but it will be over 18 months instead 24 and you can just come in and switch out every 4 months essentially. To really take advantage you have to switch your phone a lot. Otherwise it just makes sense to use regular jump or just pay off the phone. It's for the person that wants to have the latest Android devices. They could have the S6 and then get the note 5 when that comes out and then get the latest LG android phone and so on and so forth. I'm still getting training on it as it is a little confusing. Hopefully I'll know more in the next couple of days.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Burden posted:

It's essentially the same price breaking a phone up but it will be over 18 months instead 24 and you can just come in and switch out every 4 months essentially.

Its actually cheaper per month.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I'm looking for a <=$250 phone that works with T-Mobile, band 12 optional and height under 5.5", is there a better option than a Z1 compact?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If I'm looking for a <=$250 phone that works with T-Mobile, band 12 optional and height under 5.5", is there a better option than a Z1 compact?

used nexus 5?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

used nexus 5?

Height of 5.43", clearly won't work haha

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

RVProfootballer posted:

Height of 5.43", clearly won't work haha

5.43 is less than 5.5, so that would work for him.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CaptainCaveman posted:

5.43 is less than 5.5, so that would work for him.

:eng99: Numbers man, they're like hard

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There have been LG G2s selling for below $200 unlocked. Similar to the N5 but better battery life. Just make sure you confirm the LTE bands.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you want the height under 5.5 the compact is probably your best bet. If you want a 5.5 inch phone check out the Alcatel Idol 3. It supports band 12 and I have a couple of friends who have the phone and they love it. It is pretty much stock android with some icons changed for the most part. It doesn't have WiFi calling but since you were looking at another unlocked phone I assume you don't need it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe I have just never noticed it, but I feel like I haven't ever gotten any use out of WiFi calling. I either have enough signal to have a good call or no signal at all. And, if the people at the T-Mobile store I made service calls at are to be believed, you need at least a little bit of reception to make WiFi calls.

I'll look at the G2. I had been considering the Idol 3, but I tried my fiancee's G3 and it's too big. I want a new phone, so the used nexus is out. I have a used phone now, and whoever had the phone before me ran the battery into the ground by the time I got it.

I had ordered a 2013 Moto X, but they sent me a Verizon, and they are out of T-Mobile version. So that's my first choice out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Maybe I have just never noticed it, but I feel like I haven't ever gotten any use out of WiFi calling. I either have enough signal to have a good call or no signal at all. And, if the people at the T-Mobile store I made service calls at are to be believed, you need at least a little bit of reception to make WiFi calls.

I'll look at the G2. I had been considering the Idol 3, but I tried my fiancee's G3 and it's too big. I want a new phone, so the used nexus is out. I have a used phone now, and whoever had the phone before me ran the battery into the ground by the time I got it.

I had ordered a 2013 Moto X, but they sent me a Verizon, and they are out of T-Mobile version. So that's my first choice out.

I work inside wifi-equipped metal boxes parked in the basements of large concrete buildings. Zero service available, but wifi calling works great.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

eddiewalker posted:

I work inside wifi-equipped metal boxes parked in the basements of large concrete buildings. Zero service available, but wifi calling works great.

Occasionally same. You can have 0 cell signal and still have a great calling experience over wifi.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lumia 925, you can buy them new for under $200 or buy a demo for around $60. I just bought a demo for $55 and it is flawless.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

...if the people at the T-Mobile store I made service calls at are to be believed, you need at least a little bit of reception to make WiFi calls.

Never believe anyone at T-mobile but especially at the store.

Wifi calling is spotty for me, occasionally it works but most of the time people can't hear me or vice versa, or it's garbled. When I call using Google Voice, it's crystal clear.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

wormil posted:

Never believe anyone at T-mobile but especially at the store.

This is basically true of almost any modern electronics store. I cringe when I hear people talking to salesmen about something I know about because most of the info they spout off is incorrect.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm on the $30 prepaid nerd plan but I'm getting sick of my aging Android phone. I want to get an iPhone 5S but it's not listed on their prepaid phones page on their website. If I just go to a T-Mobile store will they sell me one, or give me some poo poo about it not being available for prepaid users? Should I buy it from Apple and bring it to a store for activation? I think I heard I can just cut my current micro-SIM to fit the iPhone's nano-SIM slot but I really don't want to do that.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

It will work fine, you can purchase the phone anywhere.

Sim cards are 99 cents today and tomorrow.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:siren: TMO Alert :siren:

I advised several friends and family members this year to buy Moto E LTE phones. As everyone here knows, the E is one of the best value phones on the market and is a perfect choice for casual users. I heard nothing but praise for the phone until this week, when the 5.1 update was released. Now people aren't receiving some calls and most text messages are sent off into the void, never to surface. Lo and behold, the (lovely) answer was discovered.

TMO specifically showcased the new Moto E's Band 12 support, and it was removed in the 5.1 update without telling customers. Not sure what to tell people to do now...

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/ecb8265dfc

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/39j0qb/psa_motos_51_update_to_the_2015_moto_e_disables/?sort=new

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 3, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sounds like they are planning to remove stuff from other phones as well. Thanks for the warning.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This seems like something I should be able to google but I'm failing at it. For a long time I've used Google voice as my voicemail but I want to switch back to tmobile. I know I can call TM and have them do it but isn't there a way for me to do it by dialing a number or something?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

wormil posted:

This seems like something I should be able to google but I'm failing at it. For a long time I've used Google voice as my voicemail but I want to switch back to tmobile. I know I can call TM and have them do it but isn't there a way for me to do it by dialing a number or something?

Isn't it just in the settings for the dialer app?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skeezy posted:

Isn't it just in the settings for the dialer app?

Well there is a setting but that doesn't actually change anything. It never worked on any phone I've owned. On my current phone, it is set to t-mobile voicemail but if you call me it still goes to google voice. I changed it to google by dialing some code but the code to change it back doesn't work anymore. So I'm guessing the only way is call tmobile but I dread that so much after all the aggravation I've been through with those people. I expect it will take 3 or 4 phones calls and I'll probably have to repeat that every few weeks; seriously that's what I went through before. They would change the voicemail for me then it would suddenly get switched back and I would have to call again, over and over. It only finally worked when I learned I could do it myself with a code. I would rather just stick with google voice than call tmobile.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm getting a new G2 in the mail today. It uses a different size SIM than my current phone. Is there anything more to do than call and have them swap my number to the new card? If I went to the T-Mobile store, would they be able to pull the local data to the new phone? If not, is there some Google thing to sync local data to ~the cloud~ and then pull down whatever I want on my new phone? Actually, that would be preferable.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm getting a new G2 in the mail today. It uses a different size SIM than my current phone. Is there anything more to do than call and have them swap my number to the new card? If I went to the T-Mobile store, would they be able to pull the local data to the new phone? If not, is there some Google thing to sync local data to ~the cloud~ and then pull down whatever I want on my new phone? Actually, that would be preferable.

If you're moving from Android to Android download lg backup from the play store to both phones and it will transfer everything over to the g2. As for your sim just call them up and change it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're on Android, your contacts, photos, account data, and all sorts of things should already be backed up to their cloud. If they're not, you just need to turn those things on. App data may or may not transfer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Burden posted:

If you're moving from Android to Android download lg backup from the play store to both phones and it will transfer everything over to the g2. As for your sim just call them up and change it.

Will LG backup work even if my current phone is an HTC?

E: I really don't care about app data. I don't play games, so this will just give me the opportunity to cull the ones I no longer use. But ebooks and music would be nice. Most of my music is ripped from physical copies, because I'm oldschool like that.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 9, 2015

Korthal
May 26, 2011

http://bgr.com/2015/07/09/t-mobile-mobile-without-borders-canada-mexico/

Mobile WIthout Borders

Mobile Sans Frontières

MSF

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Will LG backup work even if my current phone is an HTC?

E: I really don't care about app data. I don't play games, so this will just give me the opportunity to cull the ones I no longer use. But ebooks and music would be nice. Most of my music is ripped from physical copies, because I'm oldschool like that.

Yep it can be installed on pretty much any android phone as long it can run the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

My Galaxy Nexus is on its deathbed, if I have a budget of 500 is there something our there worth getting right now or is there something coming out soon in the pipeline? Band 12 would be great as I have no reception at work building. Also would plan to use it for 2yrs or so.