Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's it from? The fact they all start running at the same time in the same direction with no hesitation is suspicious to me. The guys with their back turned would take at least a couple seconds to register that something is happening to necessitate flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

xzzy posted:

What's it from? The fact they all start running at the same time in the same direction with no hesitation is suspicious to me. The guys with their back turned would take at least a couple seconds to register that something is happening to necessitate flight.

Nah it's legit, the full video is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DU_fjgRDgs

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZr2lCXp3c

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

From this RCR video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRIqRicttv4

Edit: for the record, this is the car and plate I'm getting if I ever live in the US.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 24, 2015

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Some madman artist is building a V12 out of Supra 2JZs.

:perfect:

More pictures http://imgur.com/a/g5ZIR#kMa787x

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
(I haven't read the thread) Those are 1JZs :)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Ah, I don't know my Toyota engines very well. :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

(I haven't read the thread) Those are 1JZs :)

2 * 1JZ = 2JZ :pseudo:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

2 * 1JZ = 2JZ :pseudo:

I predict 198 problems with that engine, none of them women.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

This is goddamn incredible but he needs to get some extra bracing on the front wheels of his jig table, stat :stare:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
A trip report from the Parco Valentino Salone & Gran Premio, held a couple weeks ago in Turin. Sadly we missed the parade, but we did do a tour of the open air car show:

Pininfarina Sergio

No windshield: the front aero, as a side effect, diverts the air away from the occupants. I wonder how well it works in practice?

Pininfarina Cambiano. Full electric, with a gas turbine APU running on diesel :swoon:

The wooden panels are oak, recycled from poles from the channels of Venice

Nice wheels

Giugiaro Gea. Self-driving luxury sedan concept, designed around giving the rear seats a "flying first class" feel

Big wheels

Torino Design WildTwelve. Premiered at Parco Valentino, it's a hybrid supercar: 3.8 liter V12 in the back plus two 50 hp electric motors in the front equals 860 hp all-wheel-drive

IED Syrma. A full scale model of a three-seat (think McLaren F1) 900 hp hybrid supercar, by a team of design students

I.De.A Disegno 01

IFEVS Poli Model. Motto: "All the others are Beautiful, I am Harmonious" (honest)

Squadra Corse Revolution. Full-electric Formula Student car built by the Politecnico (engineering school) of Turin. Terrible performer, but you know, home town pride

Some interesting non-concepts, non-student-things:

Ferrari FXX-K, no need to say more

Oh hey air jack port, we meet again

Pagani Zonda Revolución. They turned it on and revved it up a little, and we missed it by minutes :(

e: is that my friend, the air jack port again?

Audi R8 V10 plus 5.2 FSI quattro S tronic/Lamborghini Huracán LP 610-4. This was a little silly, as the posted specs revealed they were the same exact identical car, except the specs for the Audi focused on options and brand name recognition, the specs for the Lamborghini on the technical details. So for example the R8 has a "quattro®" transmission and "7-speed S tronic" gearbox, while the Huracán has an "all-wheel drive with electrohydraulic multi-plate clutch" and a "7-speed LDF dual-clutch transmission, shift characteristics variable via Drive Select Mode"; the R8 specs had a long list of the options installed in the display model, the Huracán a long detailed list of technical specs and stats. Aside from that, same identical engine, same top speed, same 0-100 km/h acceleration, same power, same torque. Such a transparent marketing thing, and they were right next to each other too

Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Superveloce

Subaru WRX STI (with S Package)

Land Rover Defender 90 Heritage

BMW M4 DTM. I didn't even know DTM still existed again!

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 25, 2015

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It would be interesting to see how reviews of the R8 and Huracan compare. I didn't realize their similarities were quite so blatant.

Content:

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 25, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hackbunny posted:

No windshield: the front aero, as a side effect, diverts the air away from the occupants. I wonder how well it works in practice?

I'm willing to bet 'not even remotely at all'.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy posted:

I'm willing to bet 'not even remotely at all'.

UNRELATED

It's terrible for actual driving but that's the coolest poo poo and my inner eight year old really loving wants it.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 25, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Apart from looking cool, is there any actual benefit to a steering wheel like that?

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Apart from looking cool, is there any actual benefit to a steering wheel like that?

You can hang your handbag from it.

The top of the steering wheel no longer obscures the road from your 85 year old eyes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'd like to think it would stop dickheads holding the steering wheel at 12 or 6 o'clock position. But it's probably just 'because we can'

*edit: apparently it's 'autopilot' mode. ...so you can read your text messages??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBiVk31rvjA

*editedit: I like how after the 60 seconds is up and you don't take over the car just seems to stop itself. Handy.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 25, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I could see that being useful for getting in and out of the car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like a fun project for a grad student but if any of those features showed up in an actual car as implemented there I'd run away.

It seems like the answer to a question "how could you make a self driving car as infuriating as possible?"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Just been looking for some 2015 Lemons pics but found this from last year. Want.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 25, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

88h88 posted:

Just been looking for some 2015 Lemons pics but found this from last year. Want.

Ha, we raced against the car heading out of the picture a couple weeks ago. Think the guy that owns and runs the Porsche writes for Jalopnik, I remember seeing pictures of it before on there several times. Blocked at work or I'd find some links for you.

This car was at Cars and Coffee in Knoxville last spring or maybe the year before.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 25, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Haha this is the best aero kit.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

88h88 posted:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: 924/44/68s make great haulers. Thing looks like a pickup without the rear hatch in place.

From the other day: Breaking down the white one and using my S2 to ferry the parts:

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
The Goodwood Festival of Speed has many amazing, historic and incredible motor vehicles, more so than any other place on earth I would expect.

However I have more pictures of one specific car than any other.

So shiny, so chrome!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

I could see it being useful if it also tightened up the steering ratio so that it only goes 90 degrees in either direction. Otherwise it'd be a pain to use, yeah.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jekub posted:

The Goodwood Festival of Speed has many amazing, historic and incredible motor vehicles, more so than any other place on earth I would expect.

However I have more pictures of one specific car than any other.

So shiny, so chrome!

Is that the actual car? Like someone was able to purchase it?

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

Elmnt80 posted:

Is that the actual car? Like someone was able to purchase it?

I'm guessing the studio provided one of no doubt several they have.

Thursday at Goodwood is a bit odd with nothing running the hill other than people taking rides in road cars. It does mean however that if you like seeing under the bodywork and getting a chance to chat to the owners and mechanics you can probably do so.

Hoonicorn, as an example, being prepared for the weekend.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Saw this thing in my town in Ohio. No idea what the hell it is. Any help would be appreciated. It looks.....really poorly built?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bring Back Noid posted:

Saw this thing in my town in Ohio. No idea what the hell it is. Any help would be appreciated. It looks.....really poorly built?

Handicap vehicle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bring Back Noid posted:

It's an MV-1, designed specifically for wheelchair/disabled access.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Jekub posted:

So shiny, so chrome!

So perfectly aligned with the umbrella in the background it took me a good 10 seconds to figure out what was going on with the beak!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I need one of those.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

What the hell is that? Did the roof melt?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That part of the picture is through a curved piece of glass, it's just distorting it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Jekub posted:

Thursday at Goodwood is a bit odd with nothing running the hill other than people taking rides in road cars. It does mean however that if you like seeing under the bodywork and getting a chance to chat to the owners and mechanics you can probably do so.

Wellll, that's kinda Goodwood all weekend really. Bummed I didn't get tickets this year, the weather's going to be ace.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jekub posted:

So shiny, so chrome!

I'm not gonna lie, I did the V8 salute to my monitor for this post.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

InitialDave posted:

It's an MV-1, designed specifically for wheelchair/disabled access.

Excellent, and quick. Thanks, thank YOU!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jekub posted:

So shiny, so chrome!

Holy poo poo it's twin charged :aaaaa:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

YES! :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That must handle like a sack of cement.

The merc probably isn't too flash either.