Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

Theres no backups of the email

Stop what you are doing and do absolutely nothing until this is fixed.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
This thread is way too slow during the day. Entertain me with your tales of woe.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GOOCHY posted:

This thread is way too slow during the day. Entertain me with your tales of woe.

"Official policy is to have two PST files per user. We do not have the resources for a long term solution on the server for users with 3 to 10+ PST files." - Actual e-mail received today.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GOOCHY posted:

I'm closing on a house next week, my wife is 3 months pregnant, and I work from home, spending most of my time doing really whatever I want, including exercising, cleaning, studying, and slacking.

:looksupwoe:

Ohhh, misunderstood, sorry.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm closing on a house next week, my wife is 3 months pregnant, and I work from home, spending most of my time doing really whatever I want, including exercising, cleaning, studying, and slacking.

:looksupwoe:

Ohhh, misunderstood, sorry.

:highfive:

Sounds like you're winning there, duder.

My wife and I just relocated to Maryland and everything is starting to settle down a bit. It's pretty great to look at the world from a slightly different vantage point for the first time in awhile.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I might be finally getting proper furniture for my office instead of this dumb round conference table. :toot:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GOOCHY posted:

:highfive:

Sounds like you're winning there, duder.

My wife and I just relocated to Maryland and everything is starting to settle down a bit. It's pretty great to look at the world from a slightly different vantage point for the first time in awhile.

If you're in the Columbia area, hit me up and we'll grab a beer some time.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

How terrible of a person would I be if I created a word document containing the goatman for all these Indian recruiters that send me jobs in random states besides the one I am in.

You're terrible if you don't share their responses

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
In what has to be a case of supreme irony I just started my first day in my new virtualization admin position (after leaving an Exchange admin position), so naturally my Outlook has to pick today to start messing up. Profile takes 20 minutes to load, then seconds after my profile loads Outlook stops responding. Restart application and it takes almost 2 hours to validate data integrity and load profile. Rinse and repeat all drat day. Tried blowing away the profile and closing organizational mailboxes, but they're all tied to my email account, so nothing changed. If poo poo is still acting up tomorrow I'll go talk to one of my former co-workers and see if they can remove the org box causing the problems.

As another potential bit of good news my team lead for the new position revealed that I actually fall under the server farm portion of the contract, and only Messaging is going away. They will be maintaining a server farm presence - the only question is going to be who wins the contract and what they'll be paying us. Not that I doubt him, but I'm getting tired of the whip-saw motions going on, so until I have a contract in hand that's signed I'm going to file all of it under "Wishful Thinking" and plan to be on the street with everyone else come August 13.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Semi-happy that I was able to quickly diagnose a pretty basic issue. I mean, any idiot could've resolved it, but I at least have a vague understanding of the cause!

A pseudo file server that a VIP uses for some reason, despite our perfectly good server infrastructure, wasn't resolving for some people that needed it. The file server was on one floor, those having problems were on another. I likewise couldn't resolve it when I tried to ping it from my computer. Flushed DNS, still didn't work. Went up to the guy that has it, and he was able to remote into it from his personal machine (sitting right beside the machine in question). I tried pinging it from his personal machine, and was successful, but noticed that it was getting a link-local IPv6 address. The different floors each have their own subnets, and IPv6 link-local addresses can't communicate outside of their own subnets, so I just told him to restart (I'm sure a ipconfig /renew would've worked, but we had a power outage earlier so, eh) and now it's working.

Of course the ironic thing is that any IT idiot that was like "I dunno, just restart it" would've fixed the issue too, and maybe even faster. :eng99:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Is your DNS server registering IPv6 addresses for things? How'd his computer get the file servers IPv6 address?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Stop what you are doing and do absolutely nothing until this is fixed.

Ironically half of the reason for doing this is because the backups don't work right. I don't know why: the other IT guy, who is totally incompetent and worse at his job than me, blames it being on a different subnet and wanted me to figure this out while he's gone.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

theperminator posted:

Is your DNS server registering IPv6 addresses for things? How'd his computer get the file servers IPv6 address?

Edit: Nevermind, I dunno. I don't think link-local ipv6 addresses get stored in DNS so I'm not really sure how it was resolving. Something for me to figure out as a learning exercise I guess.

I'm guessing it's via LLMNR but I don't really know enough about IPv6 (clearly).

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 26, 2015

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Methanar posted:

Ironically half of the reason for doing this is because the backups don't work right. I don't know why: the other IT guy, who is totally incompetent and worse at his job than me, blames it being on a different subnet and wanted me to figure this out while he's gone.

Why are you working for this company again? They literally made you pick up trash, and now you're metaphorically doing the same. Except this time if the trash randomly catches fire, you're on the hook for putting them out of business.

Are you held there by family or a house you can't sell or something? Because if not, just get the gently caress out and never look back.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Summer job while I wait to go back to school.

I make really really bad decisions.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Methanar posted:

Well on the bright side it brought the phrase "Garbageman with domain admin" into my vocabulary, so there's that at least! :buddy:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Because if not, just get the gently caress out and never look back.

Or dive in a be a hero.

1 - Everything you need to know about Lotus/Domino ought to be on IBM Knowledge Center

2- If you have a SWMA with IBM - as you should - support should be able to at the very minimum remote in and not do it for you but get you start with your migration.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

Something about this whole thing is extremely bizarre. You work for a billion dollar company who lets a student administrate their entire email infrastructure for a job on summer break. Either this story is entirely made up or you work for the most incompetent corporation I have ever heard of.

Name and shame please.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 6, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not sure if Lotus Notes is better or worse than picking up trash.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 26, 2015

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

It depends on whether or not it comes with a machine gun.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It was better in quote.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

It was better in quote.

Even though I was pretty sure that's been going through your mind lately, I didn't want to speak for you :)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

psydude posted:

If you're in the Columbia area, hit me up and we'll grab a beer some time.

For sure. I'm over in Odenton so not too far off at all. :)

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I might be finally getting proper furniture for my office instead of this dumb round conference table. :toot:

:haw:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Best post in quite awhile. I like it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Methanar posted:

But....isn't it winter there? :ohdear:

Edit: Oh, durr, for some reason I was thinking you were in Australia. :downs:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 27, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:golfclap:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:vince:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

This is missing something. Here, I fixed it:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm waiting for someone else to ask to explain the joke so I don't have to be the guy who "doesn't get it."

FE: Oops.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ha-ha, I love this reference to a comment in a previous thread about a printout of an email that had been faxed and then scanned back in.

Anyone have a link to it so I can enjoy the joke a second time?

I got your back

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
And let's not forget the crazy saga of the "ICO?".

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone work for comcast or point me at the correct people? There's a family across the way who broke into the local green termination box (?) and snaked a line of coax out from it, across the back lawn, and into their house. I'm pretty sure they're stealing cable and they're a bunch of assholes so I'd like to get a tech to come out and deal with it.

I tried to tell a local tech about it but he was just "hey man i'm just here to install cable over in that house" so maybe public shaming works better?

I made an imgur album but I seriously don't know jack about coax or cable, I don't know what any of those numbers mean.

http://imgur.com/a/nNhGg

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Why do you care, let the ISP deal with it? Apparently Comcast is an evil terrible company in the USA so who really cares.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
It wasn't me, but I have a story like that. I helped setup an media production system for a boat race. The client sent us a map of where they wanted to put the cameras around the lake. He sent us a word document with an embedded jpg that was a scan of a print out of a Google Maps screen shot that he wrote on by hand.

It was amazing.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 26, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For a while at my parents' place, the underground cable line got broken, and comcast just ran the cable above ground for a few months until they coudl get someone to rebury it.

Also if they really were just breaking in and attaching a cable, they wouldn't be able to pirate any cable using it, since these days almost all Comcast territories are using universally encrypted digital cable for SD and HD, so about the only thing they could get was temporary internet access with carefully hacked cable modems.

So probably, not actually stealing cable.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well someone broke the gently caress out of the cover, maybe it was an incompetent tech but either way it's lovely and ugly and should get fixed and the local comcast tech didn't seem to care, welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
One time a client was having really spotty connection issues and Cablevision came out to take a look and determined that something at the house across the street was causing really terrible feedback on the line and loving up the whole block. So he just climbed the pole and put a trap on the line.

I asked if he was worried the neighbors would get mad when they came back and nothing worked (he left a note at their door, but you know how people are) and the dude just shrugged. Cablevision dudes are cool.

My family also moved like a week before we had scheduled them to fully connect our service, but we found everything was wired and there was just a trap for the house, and the operator I called about it was like "Well you're not supposed to take that off but yeah, everything will work if you do."