Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Welcome to
Let's Play Bulletstorm!

Bulletstorm is the thinking man's First Person Shooter, and one of the seminal games of the post-Brown era of gaming. Released in 2011, this often misunderstood video game conveys just how fun it can be to hurt virtual people in a tropical paradise, more effectively presenting the same ideas and talking points as Spec Ops: The Line. As we follow Dick Grayson Hunt and Ishi Sato through the tropical resort planet of Pandora STYGIA, we will come across a variety of weaponry including gravity defying boots, a physics-defying leash and a gun that shoots bombs in chained-together pairs.

(screenshot from the Bulletstorm wiki) (yeah, Bulletstorm has a wiki)

Where the gameplay really comes together is the scoring system. You get points for every enemy you kill, with bonuses awarded for difficulty and creativity. Also, any time you find a new way to kill something, you get a bonus for it. The weaponry is made with this system in mind, and offers a nice set of tools for doing very silly things for a lot of points. What this really means is that the better this game is played, the more fun it is to watch. I will try to get almost every skillshot, by which I mean the fun ones (there's only about 2 that aren't fun).

Ishi Sato posted:

You wanna do it? Fine! I do not speak train!
The main draw of the game, at least to me, is the writing. This is a smart-written game that is very good at appearing stupid, and it's littered with brilliant lines that fit perfectly with what the game makes you do. It's fun, it's carefree, it gets you in the mood to kill things that are barely even human in multiple interesting ways. There's also a few recurring elements to keep in mind on a playthrough, such as Grayson falling a great distance and losing consciousness.

Post and/or video list, because apparently OPs should link to individual posts now:

Prologue and a bonus: (post) (video, cut video, bonus)
Act 1: (post) (video, cut video)
Act 2: (post) (video, cut video)
Act 3: (post) (video, cut video)
Act 4 Part 1: (post) (video, cut video)
Act 4 Part 2: (post) (video)
Act 5 Part 1: (post) (video, cut video)
Act 5 Part 2: (post) (video, cut video)
Act 6: (post) (video, cut video)
Act 7: (post) (video, cut video)

Bonus video: Failed attempt at commentating on Act 7. (video)

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mavur4alDjM
(cut version)

In which we are introduced to our swashbuckling protagonist Grayson Hunt, his best pirate pal Rell and learn the truth behind a Confederate conspiracy, headed by their ex-boss General "You Festering Assholes" Sarrano.

Joining me for the main video is The Heave AKA Heavenator, and for the bonus video there's Corn in the Bible, Lesbiathan and Ceciltron

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 18, 2015

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Yo Bulletstorm is extremely my poo poo and Joe is better at it than I am, so watch this LP.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I was kinda bummed that the other thread wasn't actually bulletstorm. Thanks, guys.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Goddamn I love the writing in this game. Especially Serrano and Rell. :allears:

Interesting thing to note is that the original 15 Men on a Dead Man's chest didn't have that line; it was a fictional sea shanty from Treasure Island of which the author only wrote two couplets. A poet later expanded it into a full poem called The Derelict, which is what we nowadays know as 15 Men on a Dead Man's Chest. Grey is quite the renaissance man for a drunk, foul-mouthed mercenary. Which was a touch I always liked.
And no, that's not bad writing. Grey is a pretty smart guy, the game just never explicitly points it out.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

For, uh, a little less than three hours Bulletstorm is a flash sale on Steam. Get it for a little less than five bucks and start slide kicking enemies into spikes/exposed wires/the cold, unfeeling emptiness of space TODAY!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Goddamn I love the writing in this game. Especially Sarrano and Rell. :allears:

Interesting thing to note is that the original 15 Men on a Dead Man's chest didn't have that line; it was a fictional sea shanty from Treasure Island of which the author only wrote two couplets. A poet later expanded it into a full poem called The Derelict, which is what we nowadays know as 15 Men on a Dead Man's Chest. Grey is quite the renaissance man for a drunk, foul-mouthed mercenary. Which was a touch I always liked.
And no, that's not bad writing. Grey is a pretty smart guy, the game just never explicitly points it out.
Nice to have that cleared up. I had an inkling it was like that but I'd p. much forgotten. I do prefer playing this game thinking that Grey isn't so much stupid as he is dealing with a bad case of waking up still drunk from before passing out on re-entry. You do get glimpses at the decent person he was before finding out he'd been lied to throughout the game. Anyway, on to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP9q3XgC1Zk
(cut version) with Ceciltron

In which we move through a massive mining complex that couldn't possibly be made by the natives, see machines bearing Confederate markings, and learn about the Skillshot system controlled by our Instinct Leash! Just why would Final Echo soldiers be having their performance rated by such a system?

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 2, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aaaaaaaaa don't buy carbine ammo it's a waste of skill points. Not only do you have more than enough ammo, you pick up more from almost all the enemies' weapons (leash them if you can't walk over them) and it automatically restores a magazine during important moments if you ever run dry.

As for the barrels, apparently they used to be green, but the player testers never shot or kicked them so the devs made them red.

Gamers.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Please discuss your Pro TAS and Speedgaming Streamathon Strats and tinps (hints+tips) in this thread.

Support E-sports+this LP

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

My only complaint about this game is that the intro people-can-fly video is insanely loud regardless of sound settings. Other than that I have no complaints whatsoever. Except that one character should have been a LOT more buff than she was.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you need proper musculature to kill dicks.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I loved the ever-loving poo poo out of this mother loving game. It was clear that People Can Fly just went balls to the wall with it, and it was a blast to play....

So of course I wasn't surprised when it didn't get a sequel :unsmith:

Also, lest we forget the best ad campaign ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZyH320R0bI

MEIN RAVEN fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 25, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

UnSmith posted:

I loved the ever-loving poo poo out of this mother loving game. It was clear that People Can Fly just went balls to the wall with it, and it was a blast to play....

Also, lest we forget the best ad campaign ever:
c'mon, man

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

UnSmith posted:

Also, lest we forget the best ad campaign ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZyH320R0bI

Word from the Steam thread is PCF just went independent again and managed to take the Bulletstorm license with them. If we suddenly see it get a patch to remove GFWL in the coming months, there may yet be hope.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Word from the Steam thread is PCF just went independent again and managed to take the Bulletstorm license with them. If we suddenly see it get a patch to remove GFWL in the coming months, there may yet be hope.
It's nice that People Can Fly are now free to pursue whatever project they want when they're done with Fortnite. Except a lot of the leading people who worked on Bulletstorm left not long after it came out to work on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and there's a good deal of ex-PCF people at Flying Wild Hog making a sequel to the Shadow Warrior reboot, I'm not sure if any of them came onto the team after Bulletstorm. I mean to be fair, Fortnite looks great and I sincerely hope it works out but the PCF working on Fortnite is not the same PCF who made Bulletstorm. But that's there, this is now, and now I'd like to dish out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETF2Hiv6Y60
(cut version) with Corn in the Bible AKA Crowfeathers

In which we reach the outskirts of the city on Stygia, have our first meeting with that elite Final Echo trooper who could lead us to Sarrano and finally we survey the Terrordome.

I'd like to point out that the environment this act starts you out in looks like a tech demo for all kinds of effects. The rock formations around the lagoon Gray and Ishi climb out of has a lot of caustics on the sides that face the water, this is also the first time we see both of Stygia's suns, even though only one of them is casting godrays. I believe this was the first game to come out on what they then called Unreal Engine 3.5 and it's clear they wanted to show it. I also didn't go deep enough into it but this act introduces every collectable in the game: The electric bug swarms (shoot the bugs, get the points), the newsbots (explode it, get points) and the bottles (drink and kill or shoot the bottle, both gets you points). I'm not really planning on 100% completion with any of these, but I'd like to get close. Since I'm not drinking the bottles I might as well show the effects off in a bonus video later on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's a couple skillshots you can only get while drunk so they're good for that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like the dinosaur because he reminds me of the hit film Anonymous Rex starring Daniel Baldwin

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You sure he doesn't remind you of Theodore Rex starring Whoopi Goldberg?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Well, mostly he reminds me of The Land Before Time 13: The Secret of Friends. But Theodore Rex is also very memorable, yes.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
This game is strangely poetic... But how did you get it to work with GFWL being down?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

GFWL never went down. People just went crazy over a leak that it might possibly go down and then some devs took the opportunity to scare their publishers into funding a change over to Steamworks. Epic just didn't because...I dunno. I wish they would, so I wouldn't need this physical copy anymore.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
And yet I require a hack just to make the copy I bought on Steam to work.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah my steam copy seems to be all the shits. :(

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Well, the first issue that comes to mind is the fact that every GFWL game on Steam comes with a horribly outdated version of GFWL, and the way they work together ensures that no automatic updating function fixes that. So, the first thing you'll want to try is to uninstall GFWL, and then download the latest version from this link. I'm not saying it'll work, but it might.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Someone please tell me if that advice works, this game deserves to be played and I might just have some some plans for multiplayer when this is done. In the meantime here's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rI0fJEKHig
(cut version) with Lesbiathan and Zain

In which we explore a large habitable dam, finally catch up to the last surviving Final Echo trooper and witness the gang war going on between the Creeps and the Skullz.

About that cave at the start of the act, there's a lot of graffiti on the walls, most of it is just "TO THE SURFACE" and "SKULLZ" with some art of a skull on it. However, we can see the Skullz refer to the Creeps as "Topsiders" on some of it. Exactly why that is we've yet to see, but they are heavily mutated, and we've already seen some heavy uranium mining operations going on outside the city so it might be getting easier to connect the dots.

Oh and here's a little something I made earlier:

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 10, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

One nice thing about the headhunter is that time continues even during slowdown. So you can use this time to recover from the BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL, especially if you use the explosive bullet.

Wanted actually does have a video game - Wanted: Weapons of Fate. It's a sequel to the movie's story, weirdly. It was a third-person cover-based shooter but it had some interesting ideas. The curve bullets was wonky and the graphics were ugly as hell but the devs clearly put effort into it so I can't dislike it.

Have a gif:

VV That's pretty much my opinion of it too.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 12, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Well, it certainly looks ambitious. Not sure I'd want to play an entire game based around that gimmick but anything's better than just playing yet another Gears of War.

Noilleber
Apr 22, 2008
I passed this game off at the time of its release thinking it was another generic and bland gears of war rip off.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't, the game looks surprisingly really good.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm glad this LP is improving your impression of the game. Speaking of which, it's now time for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nvbLHtfXUA
(cut version) with the Lesbionic Woman

This is the longest act yet, so long that I've been forced to split it in two. Rest of it's coming next time. In this half of the act we enter The Forbidden Zone which we later find out to be a funtime park and botanical garden!

There's not much to say about the act so far, other than that it continues to display the exploitative nature of holiday destination cities.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Just so you know, about Harry Knowles' thing? It's on PBS, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlXP7NQICIk

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is why I like Grey. He never says poo poo like "pugnacious hallucinations? In English please?"
And it's a nice gameplay-story element that he isn't as affected by the spores as his teammates. It only makes him woozy, not crazy angry.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Joseph asked that I "hoopz his thread" so now I have.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

J.theYellow posted:

You think SomethingAwful forums can be dangerous places to tread? They're NOTHING compared to the Aintitcool forums. Once in a while there are some interesting conversations about something, but 90% of the time it's flamewars and Adbots.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My computer broke. This LP will continue when it isn't.

:(

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 24, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

J.theYellow posted:

Of all the things I thought would happen to Harry Knowles, a PBS contract was not one of them.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

corn in the bible posted:

Of all the things I thought would happen to Harry Knowles, a PBS contract was not one of them.

KLRU in Austin is a pretty loving special PBS station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHunNJ9TvSA

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

News update: I have a new build planned and I'll be deciding on whether I can afford to buy the parts for it come September. In the meantime, you might wanna check out Fridurmus' recordings of the stream that started this...thing.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm back!

Expect an update...this weekend-ish? I'm still getting used to the thought of having a working desktop.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Okay, I got to have a sit-down and record another update, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf8kpN3MkGY
With special guest Skippy Granola

In which we learn of Ishi's fate, the truth about the drop boxes laying around the planet and the skillshot rating system.

This half of the act has a few of my favourite visuals in the game so far, and I think part of it being in the console demo shows that PCF and Epic agreed with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Whoop whoop! Nice to see this back in black.

• Locked thread