Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the tips, I'll give em a shot next time I actually have the free time to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

With the advent of SSD's, I can't imagine why you'd want to be piling poo poo on your OS drive. I haven't used partitioning since I started using SSD's. As for everything else, why bother? If the drive dies, partitions won't save your poo poo.

It's a matter of if the OS gets hosed up somehow rather than the drive dying. Granted dead drives are why I have multiple drives and keep backups of everything I'd be sad if I lost. Periodically reinstalling Windows is a good idea and just plain easier if you can thoughtlessly wipe the drive it's on. Granted that also depends on how you use your computer; if you use it for Minecraft, Word, e-mail, and not much else it's not an issue but all the crap you install can build up over time and destroy performance. Older Windows versions also had issues if you left them installed too long. Less of an issue these days but in the past it was kind of a big deal.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's a matter of if the OS gets hosed up somehow rather than the drive dying. Granted dead drives are why I have multiple drives and keep backups of everything I'd be sad if I lost. Periodically reinstalling Windows is a good idea and just plain easier if you can thoughtlessly wipe the drive it's on. Granted that also depends on how you use your computer; if you use it for Minecraft, Word, e-mail, and not much else it's not an issue but all the crap you install can build up over time and destroy performance. Older Windows versions also had issues if you left them installed too long. Less of an issue these days but in the past it was kind of a big deal.

Yeah but my point is with SSD's you really shouldn't be piling too much crap on there anyway, so the need to reinstall now and then even if the OS fucks up shouldn't be an issue. Never keep your vital or important docs on your boot drive.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Khorne posted:

For inscribers:

Set one up for each press, dump materials in the chest, have each conduit properly routed for each component. It will pull them from the chest and autocraft them. And at the end you can return them to the same chest or put them in a different chest if you want.

The 5th inscriber the bottom is the silicon, the middle is redstone, and the top is all of the unfinished processor components.

I use acceleration cards in them, but that comes later.

For crystal growth:

Use something that drops the item in, I used an open crate from botania.

On the bottom use a transfer node with a world interaction upgrade and an item filter with the finished components.

For channels:

Channels are actually fun and awesome. Disabling them seems pretty silly unless you really hate learning them or building cool networks/grids that require a little thought. It gives you an excuse to use all the colored cables too.

Nonsanity has a good channel video on youtube here. It doesn't spell out the practical applications for you, but at the end of the video and with a little tinkering yourself you should have a great grip on channels and why they are fun and cool. Sub networks are also really powerful for things like DSUs or storage bus arrays. You can put endless things on a single channel on your main network if you set it up properly.

I saw a six accelerator crystal growth setup that used a TE translocation plate to move seeds into the water and a Botania hopperhock to pull crystals out.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think it's AE2 stuff that has a single-block crystal grower. I gave up trying to come up with crazy schemes for growing them in pools of water after that. The recipe requires the actual accelerators and isn't necessarily cheaper to build. However, I imagine it's less of a burden on the server due to not having entities loose in the world.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
So what's the most up to date modpack that I can run on a reasonably powerful laptop?
It can't handle OMP-I without chugging sadly.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So what's the most up to date modpack that I can run on a reasonably powerful laptop?
It can't handle OMP-I without chugging sadly.

Take out some mods then. I think the OMP modpacks are meant for multiplayer with a dedicated server, not single player.

For OMP Sigma 2, I took out headcrumbs, zelda sword skills, hats, and darkness mod.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 25, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

Take out some mods then. I think the OMP modpacks are meant for multiplayer with a dedicated server, not single player.

For OMP Sigma 2, I took out headcrumbs, zelda sword skills, hats, and darkness mod.

I should've mentioned it'd be on a dedicated server for me and my roomates, but even then my Laptop can't handle it.
Is OMP-I really the most up to date modpack? drat.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I should've mentioned it'd be on a dedicated server for me and my roomates, but even then my Laptop can't handle it.

The OMP modpacks are meant to be the kitchen sink modpacks. You should also check your graphics settings, I always have most of my graphics settings turned down and turning my graphics down helps ALOT.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Check the Technic Launcher Browse Modpacks section to find a modpack. Both OMP and Modderation: Permabanned stay fairly up-to-date, but are both large modpacks.

Try adding FastCraft to your client mods/ folder if you haven't already, that helps on my modpacks. Otherwise look for leaner modpacks or take an existing one and slim it down, as SugarAddict mentioned.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Playing Baby's First Space Race, updated to latest version available, and I get a stack overflow error trying to go into the Nether. This is the crash report portion of the forge log.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh look, more help procrastinating on doing real work!

taiyoko posted:

Playing Baby's First Space Race, updated to latest version available, and I get a stack overflow error trying to go into the Nether. This is the crash report portion of the forge log.

Do me a favor and send me the seed, and the coordinates where you placed the portal, so I can see. My money is on the extra_glowstone rule exploding, which makes me sad. :(

If you want to hit it with a bandaid, look in the mod's config\cofh\world folder for "Nether Boosters.json." Depending on how crafty you are with JSON:

1. (no experience) You can just delete the file and probably be all right. Maybe move it out of the directory first before restarting Minecraft, so you can move it back if somehow something else did it (can't imagine what). You won't get increased oregen for cobalt and ardite this way, by the way.
2. (some experience) Remove the "extra_glowstone" rule in the file.
3. (you're a cool JSON d00der) Tweak the settings to reduce them, which should prevent runaways. Namely, clustersize and numClusters.

Edit: Doing this should allow you to keep playing while still having access to The Nether.

It has been some time since I reviewed the generators in the CoFH code, but there were situations where getting too giddy with generation--like I love to do with BFSR--would cause it to generate a chunk, then have to generate another chunk to fill things in, which would generate yet another chunk, etc, until it blew up. So when I hear about a stack overflow, that's the stink my sense of smell detects. If you ask skyboy, I'm a naughty, naughty man for the ridiculous gen rates I have for some of this stuff. In my ideal, utopian world, I'd come home from work on the back of a unicorn, and fire up BFSR and we'd have procedural generation that would be able to generate the next chunks only when they are outright necessary, but those algorithms are ridiculously complicated.

Edit edit: Yeah I see the stalactite rule in the stack trace. It's my friend extra_glowstone. :(

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh look, more help procrastinating on doing real work!

Do me a favor and send me the seed, and the coordinates where you placed the portal, so I can see. My money is on the extra_glowstone rule exploding, which makes me sad. :(

If you want to hit it with a bandaid, look in the mod's config\cofh\world folder for "Nether Boosters.json." Depending on how crafty you are with JSON:

1. (no experience) You can just delete the file and probably be all right. Maybe move it out of the directory first before restarting Minecraft, so you can move it back if somehow something else did it (can't imagine what). You won't get increased oregen for cobalt and ardite this way, by the way.
2. (some experience) Remove the "extra_glowstone" rule in the file.
3. (you're a cool JSON d00der) Tweak the settings to reduce them, which should prevent runaways. Namely, clustersize and numClusters.

Edit: Doing this should allow you to keep playing while still having access to The Nether.

It has been some time since I reviewed the generators in the CoFH code, but there were situations where getting too giddy with generation--like I love to do with BFSR--would cause it to generate a chunk, then have to generate another chunk to fill things in, which would generate yet another chunk, etc, until it blew up. So when I hear about a stack overflow, that's the stink my sense of smell detects. If you ask skyboy, I'm a naughty, naughty man for the ridiculous gen rates I have for some of this stuff. In my ideal, utopian world, I'd come home from work on the back of a unicorn, and fire up BFSR and we'd have procedural generation that would be able to generate the next chunks only when they are outright necessary, but those algorithms are ridiculously complicated.

Edit edit: Yeah I see the stalactite rule in the stack trace. It's my friend extra_glowstone. :(

Seed is -192237733.
Might try messing around with the settings, but might just remove the offending glowstone generator instead, but I think I might be screwed on this world because no matter how much I save before exiting NBTExplorer, it doesn't keep the changed data to put me back in the overworld at one of my waypoints.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

taiyoko posted:

Seed is -192237733.
Might try messing around with the settings, but might just remove the offending glowstone generator instead, but I think I might be screwed on this world because no matter how much I save before exiting NBTExplorer, it doesn't keep the changed data to put me back in the overworld at one of my waypoints.

What if you straight up deletes the nether? I think it's DIM1 in the save folder, but not 100% sure :P

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

What if you straight up deletes the nether? I think it's DIM1 in the save folder, but not 100% sure :P

DIM1 is The End. The Nether is DIM-1. DIM0 is the overworld.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I guess if he does that and gets rid of the glowstone rule, it should regenerate without it.

I had thought I tuned down that glowstone generation, but I did learn a bit while setting up a pull request for some code changes to CoFHCore. It looks like that runaway condition is destined to happen for somebody, statistically. However, I think I can change the rule so I can still get some extra glowstone while preventing that from happening. The only way I can really test it afterwards is to hop in The Nether a go a few kilometers; trying an offending seed with new generation values will cause a completely different result, so I can't just count on it going away in the seed to tell. I can at least verify the original problem though.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Just wanted to check in on Baby's First Space Race. I have not touched it since I made the hotfix for the last release ~a week ago. Somebody wanted a modlist, so I posted a PDF of in it with the modpack now. Since I can't set up Solder with the puny hosting I have, that's the best I can really do.

If I wanted more people to see it, what should I do? I'm assuming I should make a post on the main Minecraft Forums somewhere. I'm probably going to open a huge can of works with it though. :(

Downloading it now, I love quest book mods.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

That seems like a dumb way to handle terrain generation. I mean, I can see the advantage in terms of terrain looking less broken if your generation algorithm changes, but if the world is deterministic based on the seed (which I really loving hope it is) then you should be able to store partial results somewhere and pick up where you left off if a player wanders into the area later.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is slime a reward for any of the quests in Baby's First Space Race? I can't find any slimes at all and this slimy mud quest is just sitting there uncompleted.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Either one gives a slime sapling or you can build a jetpack and find a slime island in the sky somewhere.

Slime saplings grow into slime trees with trunks made of congealed slime(craft into four slimeballs) when you chop them down.

This is just off my often faulty memory tho.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsbane posted:

That seems like a dumb way to handle terrain generation. I mean, I can see the advantage in terms of terrain looking less broken if your generation algorithm changes, but if the world is deterministic based on the seed (which I really loving hope it is) then you should be able to store partial results somewhere and pick up where you left off if a player wanders into the area later.

Modders can do that, but most don't.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is slime a reward for any of the quests in Baby's First Space Race? I can't find any slimes at all and this slimy mud quest is just sitting there uncompleted.

As said above, one gives you a slime sapling and another gives you slime balls.

Also this mod is so, so good, but I kind of wish it had the iguana tinker tweaks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Wolfsbane posted:

Instead of crashing the generator, I'd probably wind up crashing the ... earmarker--we'll call it that. That's because it would run away earmarking an infinite span of chunks.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RickVoid posted:

As said above, one gives you a slime sapling and another gives you slime balls.

Also this mod is so, so good, but I kind of wish it had the iguana tinker tweaks.

Is it iguana tweaks that shows all your tool stats when you mouse over the item? If so I kind of wish that too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Instead of crashing the generator, I'd probably wind up crashing the ... earmarker--we'll call it that. That's because it would run away earmarking an infinite span of chunks.

Why would it need to earmark more than one or two chunks?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is it iguana tweaks that shows all your tool stats when you mouse over the item? If so I kind of wish that too.

Yes. Also tools level up through use, becoming stronger, gaining rendom passive boosts without needing to spend items on them to get the same effects (but you still can), adds extra effects, lets you repair from the 2x2 inventory crafting window, and lets you replace parts of the tools with new and upgraded parts so you can just keep upgrading the first pick you made (and not have seven clogging up your inventory).

It's super good.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

taiyoko posted:

Seed is -192237733.

I think I reproduced it. I should have asked for the terrain generator you used; I assumed normal vanilla. I was also assuming you placed the portal near the spawn. It died on me with a similar problem. I recreated the world with the glowstone generation reduced by a factor of 10, and it didn't puke any more. I should do a little more work to see if that value in itself looks consistent.

I don't know any tricks with NBTExplorer to help. :(

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

RickVoid posted:

Yes. Also tools level up through use, becoming stronger, gaining rendom passive boosts without needing to spend items on them to get the same effects (but you still can), adds extra effects, lets you repair from the 2x2 inventory crafting window, and lets you replace parts of the tools with new and upgraded parts so you can just keep upgrading the first pick you made (and not have seven clogging up your inventory).

It's super good.

The only real downside I've run into using it is when it gives you pickaxe something like fortune when you wanted to give it silk touch, or getting bane of arthropods instead of sharpness. That sort of thing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've gotten plenty of swords in OMP-i with bane, smite, and sharpness. And beheading and looting. :getin:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Steelion posted:

The only real downside I've run into using it is when it gives you pickaxe something like fortune when you wanted to give it silk touch, or getting bane of arthropods instead of sharpness. That sort of thing.

Did I mention they can also get additional empty slots on level-up? There's probably a limit to the number of modifiers a tool can have, but it's a lot and no upgrade precludes putting a different upgrade on it.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure that it at least prevents fortune and silk touch, because I literally ran into that issue earlier this week where I could not apply a silky jewel to my fortune pickaxe. It had an open modifier and was fully repaired. Good to know the damage mods are stackable.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the good part of iguana's tweaks is when you disable level-up modifiers and set it to give you a new modifier slot every level instead, in addition to starting with 3, and then you let tools level up 20 times, and your pickaxe has haste 20 and you mine ore as soon as you click it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Silk Touch and Fortune are the only mutually exclusive upgrades. Everything else can stack stack stack. Personally when I want a silk touch pick, I make sure it has a free slot when I first make it, and put it on immediately. Well, optimally I want two slots on it so that I can put moss on BEFORE silk touch, so that it looks nicer.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else getting an error trying to update Space Race?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Anyone else getting an error trying to update Space Race?

Oh boy--did I do it again? Technic wasn't refreshing so I had to go to bed without being able to check the 1.4.0.2 update. Give me a minute.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh boy--did I do it again? Technic wasn't refreshing so I had to go to bed without being able to check the 1.4.0.2 update. Give me a minute.

Nah, it was me. My cache was unwriteable for some reason, restarted the computer and it's fine. Thanks for the great modpack.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh good. I was about to write back that it came up fine for me #WorksOnMyMachine. I'm glad you enjoy it.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I've been debating putting together a more modern modpack that my girlfriend and I can play together. The hope is to create a modpack that my laptop can handle, while adding in more dimensions and things to explore and some machines and fun blocks to play with. Laptop has 64bit java, a dual core @ 2.4ghrz and 4 gigs of ram, it just seems to chug with a lot of stuff going on, tppi seemed to be very laggy.

So far the modpacks we've played together and enjoyed were attack of the b team and tekkit lite. Does anyone have any reccomendations of mods, or potential modpacks we could try out?

The biggest thing we both need is some kind of flight. Walking is for chumps. Extra dimensions is always fun to play with, been eyeballing that one FTB pack all about dimensions but I doubt the laptop could handle that shenanagins.

If I put a mod pack together, I would also need to learn how to put a server together with some ease of use plugins. I assume youtube would be my best answer there.

GotDonuts fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 30, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So we made this:

More pages unlock as you get your hands on different materials. So gathering copper teaches you about tin, gathering prometheum teaches you about ourclase, etc.

Hopefully blightfall will now make a little bit more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Needs more dongs.

Joking aside, that's looking pretty sweet. Waiting patiently for the Blightfall update to go wild on that modpack.