Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Personally I'd only consider direct increases/decreases in a character's stats to be a "buff/debuff" (damage +1, speed -2, etc). I'd prefer status too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Moriatti posted:

I like statuses because it's SNES RPG lingo.

Status, for this reason.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Okay, Capitalization it is!

Next question: I'm calling things like blinded/prone/etc. conditions, but I should probably change that because I'm already calling Winded/Injured/etc. Conditions. So I could change it to:

Statuses
Debuffs (Buffs where appropriate)
Handicaps (and bonuses, maybe?)
Suggest something else

buffs/debuffs imo

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I prefer conditions.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I like statuses.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

What's the best way to use the tactical combat rules to help emulate sports?
Or should I do something different for sports?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, so I'm looking for another short-notice sub for a roll20 game tomorrow (well, probably today by the time you read this. Friday at 8 Eastern to be specific.) Just had a player drop out because of this thing called "real life" or something?? I didn't know goons had those. Anyway, I'm hoping there's someone here who is interested in jumping in. This is a new group, so we're just starting up with new characters and such.

Moriatti posted:

What's the best way to use the tactical combat rules to help emulate sports?
Or should I do something different for sports?

From my experience with sports, every sport is different. I could make a very cool ball hockey game because that's my main sport - I play twice per week and I know it very well. I couldn't do justice to soccer or anything else. As for using the tactical combat rules... for most ball sports it's important NOT to focus fire. When you're on defense if everyone goes after the ball, the enemy will just pass it and you'll lose. You could try to make something happen where attacking the ball carrier successfully forces them to pass and the goal would be to try use your positioning to block the passing lanes. You'd have to play around with it to see how easy it is to physically put yourself blocking a pass and then use that to figure out what you need to roll to intercept it and what you need to roll to deflect it so that the right balance of passing and turnovers happens. There is a trade-off for forwards between getting open and getting penetration, which comes from the defenses positioning - that's a kind of choice you'll need to consider.

Really, that seems like a totally different game, not a simple combat hack. But maybe other sports would be more amenable to such hacking.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Could try that, I need some player experience before my own game monday.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

Really, that seems like a totally different game, not a simple combat hack. But maybe other sports would be more amenable to such hacking.

It's a game where they are from Nintendo, they are likely to investigate either K. Rool or Bowser in regards to a MacGuffin disappearing and the easiest way would probably be for them to win the Baseball/Kart Racing tournament said villain is having. I mostly wanted to see if I could preserve some of the powers involved here, I figure I need to change the basic mechanics significantly.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I'm interested in getting a Strike! game set up, but haven't GM'd anything in a long time and am cautious of just jumping into a system I've never played before. Would anyone be interested in getting to take to do a short game to get familiar with the game?
EDIT: Oh other folks posted when I was writing this up and I just noticed this:

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, so I'm looking for another short-notice sub for a roll20 game tomorrow (well, probably today by the time you read this. Friday at 8 Eastern to be specific.) Just had a player drop out because of this thing called "real life" or something?? I didn't know goons had those. Anyway, I'm hoping there's someone here who is interested in jumping in. This is a new group, so we're just starting up with new characters and such.

Yeah. I'd be interested! That's the exact sort of thing I was looking for.

Also, is the pdf linked in the KS up-to-date?

Jimbozig posted:

Okay, Capitalization it is!

Next question: I'm calling things like blinded/prone/etc. conditions, but I should probably change that because I'm already calling Winded/Injured/etc. Conditions. So I could change it to:

Statuses
Debuffs (Buffs where appropriate)
Handicaps (and bonuses, maybe?)
Suggest something else

I always assume Statuses (or Status Effects) to mean things like Poison, Mute, Paralyzed, etc. Stuff that isn't just a "Your numbers are reduced" sort of things. Where Buff/debuff are the opposite.

I don't like the word "handicaps" at all though.

D_W fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 26, 2015

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Make up Bowserball or something that seems oddly close to the existing tactical rules? Maybe throw in a thing like if you have the ball you can make a basic ranged attack to pass the ball green shell to a teammate or make a shot on goal, if you get a Twist the shell goes wild or someone gets a chance to intercept or something.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It sounds to me like the right answer is to just run the Team Conflict rules? Also the sport should totally be kart racing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just made something up.

Base it loosely on American football. Both teams have a fairly large number of virtual minions who can only move and passively interrupt the movement of enemy players. Minions don't get actions of their own, but each team shares a communal number of actions per turn which they can distribute among their minions, and they can sacrifice some of their own actions to give minions even more, so that a team with fewer minions remaining will be more mobile overall. Players have access to their full complement of combat powers and can use them against each other or the minions. A player or minion reduced to 0 HP is out for the rest of the round, but returns for the next round.

At the start of the game, one minion on one team is holding the Rock. When this minion is slain, the Rock falls onto the field at that location, and it can be claimed by any player or minion who passes through that space. If it is picked up by a player character, they have until the end of their next turn to get rid of the Rock, or it will explode, removing them from the rest of the game and forfeiting the round (which might be tactically advantageous if their team is at a huge disadvantage). They can pass the Rock to a minion with a ranged basic attack.

When all the minions on one team have been slain, the round is over. The position of the Rock along the field determines the score. The side of the starting line that the Rock is on determines which team gets points, and the distance from the starting line determines how many. Minions forced out of bounds will die immediately; players forced out of bounds will be penalized in some way. A game lasts either for a predetermined number of rounds, or until one team accumulates a certain score, or whatever would be more dramatic.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Moriatti posted:

It's a game where they are from Nintendo, they are likely to investigate either K. Rool or Bowser in regards to a MacGuffin disappearing and the easiest way would probably be for them to win the Baseball/Kart Racing tournament said villain is having. I mostly wanted to see if I could preserve some of the powers involved here, I figure I need to change the basic mechanics significantly.

Mario Kart could be pretty simple. Map out a track, give everyone the same base speed and run it like a normal encounter, only with the added goal of being first to complete 3 laps or whatever. Allow the players to use their combat abilities as usual and getting hit means not being able to move your full speed next turn. If you want to implement boost pads, hazards and item boxes that would be pretty easy too with special terrain and one-time-use powers. You could even tie the item you get to your place in the race to get the rubberbanding effect the real game has (first place gets a banana peel, last place gets the blue shell!).

Baseball is a bit tougher but you could take a page out of the NES game Base Wars and have the runner fight the baseman before they can steal a base.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ok, so one of the players is Captain Falcon now. So I'm going to make racing a thing. Do you think I should do the same base speed encounter, or do an altered chase with kart items?

I was thinking chase where if the runners are caught, they switch places with the chaser, and if the runners get away, they get 1/3 laps. Each side will get at least 1 item each lap, and they'll do stuff like: Mushroom - decrease/increase distance by 1.

Possibly, I'll run a combat at the same time for some of the non-Falcon guys who have to stop Bowser's minions from fixing the race by giving Bowser items and increasing the danger level for our heroes.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

D_W posted:

I don't like the word "handicaps" at all though.
Yeah, nobody does. I don't know why I put it on the list since I don't like it either. It looks like from the response that either statuses or buffs/debuffs are fine choices with plenty of support and I'll just flip a coin or something.

Also, I just sent you and plutonis PMs about the game tonight. Gourdcaptain managed to rope in a friend so we've got three already, but we're happy to end up with 4 or even 5.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:
A few thoughts about overwatch (aka "I prepare an action to fire on the first enemy I see") now that I've slept on it. There are a few ways in which an X-Com combat differs from a Strike! combat:
  • Fog of war. On most maps, even after being aware of the other side's existence, both sides spend a good number of turns not knowing where everyone is. The goal becomes to set your team up such that any enemy that shows up in your line of sight gets blasted to pieces before they can attack, while making sure none of your own moves triggers a hidden enemy's overwatch. In a TTRPG though, invisible enemies whose location on the board has to be tracked mentally are a huge pain in the rear end for the GM, so at best this happens once on the first round of combat. Besides, TTRPG-manageable maps are small enough that you can quickly get line of sight on the whole area.
  • Consolidation (reload, regroup and heal). In X-Com, you have to take breaks, during which an enemy could attack you. On Classic I did a fair bit of "soldier 1 reloads, soldiers 2-4 overwatch. Okay, now soldier 2 reloads..." In Strike! you can more or less continuously advance.
  • AI. In our game last night, two of four PCs had Dodge (aka super-Lightning Reflexes). In X-Com, the AI is programmed not to take that into account, and the aliens will give you plenty of opportunities to gain value out of it. A human GM though... I know I have to unpleasantly force myself to have my monster do something useless when credible, and I don't trust my impartiality.
  • Movement. X-Com forces you to pick a single destination and resolve your entire movement. Strike! lets you "peek" past a corner and change your destination accordingly. So the odds of Strike! overwatch letting you catch someone out of cover are close to zero. (Also, X-Com overwatch triggers on a move you make while visible while Strike! overwatch triggers when you become visible, such as when you peek while still in cover.)

So what I'm saying is, I would like an overwatch-like dynamic in a game that uses the Exposed rules, but it's not going to happen just by porting the X-Com overwatch action as-is.

There was some grumbling about the Exposed rules themselves not being very fun too. I don't know if it's a trend (I was okay with them myself), but if it is, then maybe the whole thing needs a review. Off the top of my head: maybe when you become exposed, you grant those with sight on you a ranged opportunity? Then the combat becomes about forcing enemies out of cover using special abilities, even if they go right back into cover somewhere else. Might be worth taking a cue from X-Com's destructible environment too, where any shot might destroy any piece of cover on its path and force a change of plan (and explosives are terrifying).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Game yesterday was a good simulation of my average X-Com simulation since I got shot a lot and whiffed 90% of my rolls.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just done GMing my first session! Ironically the dice were a shitload more lenient with me this time since I pretty much critted and hit the PCs a lot haha. They still punked the elite mob I was confident would make a lot of trouble but it was a fun combat. Unfortunately I didn't understood well the noncombat conflict resolution and ended up not using it much and had to rely on Player Countblanc a lot since I made a few mistakes.

E: Roll20 is a piece of poo poo for crashing on me when we were finishing the session.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 30, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
As a player in Plutonis's game, hats off to Jimbozig for making an excellent game.

Pumpkin Pirate
Feb 2, 2005
???????
In the illustrated combat example, Terrifying Visage says that the target has to run away before taking any other actions, but at the end, the DM contemplates attacking and then running, or shifting and then running, and suggests that those options would avoid the 3 damage.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Pumpkin Pirate posted:

In the illustrated combat example, Terrifying Visage says that the target has to run away before taking any other actions, but at the end, the DM contemplates attacking and then running, or shifting and then running, and suggests that those options would avoid the 3 damage.

Oh, maybe I accidentally grabbed a screenshot of the level 5 version of the power. Oops. Thanks for pointing that out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

As a player in Plutonis's game, hats off to Jimbozig for making an excellent game.

Seconding this. The two concerns I had from the first session: double damage on crits seems too powerful for how common they are. They directly led to two players and the elite mod getting trashed before they could do much. I'll wait to see if that's just a fluke or not.

The other problem is that the Action Trigger powers (at least the Level 1 ones) don't feel like a worthwhile use of Action Points compared to Rally. As a Defender Shapeshifter with the Resilient feat, 5 HP and the additional versatility of a Shapeshift recovery will almost always be preferable to negating a single attack except on a particularly nasty crit. I feel the same about the others was well, though that's informed strictly by theorycrafting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Another weird thing I noticed is that regarding Miss Triggers, Blasters can avoid getting multiple of those, cool, but when a Blaster rolled to hit four enemies, hit the first roll, then missed the other two, he still doesn't proc the way it's worded on the book.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't know how many other sessions you've played, but speaking as someone who has played a lot of Defender in Strike, negating hits is huge when nasty status effects from Elites and Champions start flying around and like you said completely evading a crit is also a big deal. If you have Resilient then yeah Rally is gonna be a strong option for you too, because you took the feat that makes Rally a better option. Rally is also once per encounter (again, unless you took Resilient) so it's completely possible that you end up using both in a given fight.

As for the other triggers - I'm certainly most experienced with the Defender one - it depends on the circumstances heavily. If you're a ranged Leader and avoiding taking a lot of damage, rallying isn't a huge priority for you and giving your teammate a chance to reroll a 1 to both avoid a Strike and probably score a hit of some type is huge. The Striker one breaks the action economy and gives you an off-turn attack which would make any 4e class weep with joy. The Blaster and Controller ones... are a bit more difficult, especially with the Elite/Champion resistance to status effects, but again if you aren't taking a lot of damage they can be useful. And then there's classes that interact with Rally in ways that makes it more/less appealing in any given circumstance, like Magician getting access to their Reserve spell.

Regarding the crit damage being so high, some of that was because the crits in question came from our Striker, whose entire purpose is to tear down Elite mobs quickly. I think some of the burstiness of that fight in general though came from the design; We started at the front of a cave which was only ~8x8 and all of us were situated in a tight bundle against mobs that could AoE. When the enemies can all hit 3 targets with each attack and there isn't really room to move around, especially without eating an Opportunity or three, there's going to be more attacks rolled and thus more crits on the squishier party members. A lot of that is just unfamiliarity with the system but yeah that's a bad situation to be in that we couldn't really avoid, even at the end of the fight no one had moved except Effectronica's character who had shifted one square.

e: I think something worth keeping in mind is that being Taken Out in Strike isn't exactly the same thing it is in 4e. Combat is much faster (once people learn the system) and if all your squishiest party members aren't starting in range of every enemy it's pretty hard for a single crit to spell doom. If you're taken out on turn three there's a good chance the fight won't last more than another 3 minutes anyway if people are paying attention. Additionally as a general tip I'd probably have more than one Elite against a party of 6; While they technically only occupy two monsters worth of budget, giving 6 PCs a chance to roll against the same big bad is gonna lead to him being taken out really fast.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 2, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

The other problem is that the Action Trigger powers (at least the Level 1 ones) don't feel like a worthwhile use of Action Points compared to Rally. As a Defender Shapeshifter with the Resilient feat, 5 HP and the additional versatility of a Shapeshift recovery will almost always be preferable to negating a single attack except on a particularly nasty crit. I feel the same about the others was well, though that's informed strictly by theorycrafting.

Action Triggers tend to get used in practice. Count's right - you can only use Rally once, so it's not exactly an either/or thing. If you pass up negating a big hit to instead use your rally, you might regret it.

But the Controller's doesn't get used so much, so I'll look at what I can do about that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If I use Furz's Undeniable Command (Magician 1) to command a target to use a Ranged attack, does it provoke Opportunities from my adjacent allies?

e: Also, if I roll a 6 as a Chaos Mage (which allows me to forgo the extra damage to deal an additional effect) Blaster, can I use my Multitarget Boost to deal both of those effects to an additional target?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 7, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm really loving the pacing in this game for battles. A decent amount happens but it goes by really quickly. We're able to pull off fluff and two battles in a single session. In other systems I've played a single battle can stretch into multiple sessions, so this is really refreshing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm really loving the pacing in this game for battles. A decent amount happens but it goes by really quickly. We're able to pull off fluff and two battles in a single session. In other systems I've played a single battle can stretch into multiple sessions, so this is really refreshing.

:agreed:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The best part is that unlike most streamlined quick combat games, you can still have a fast-paced combat but a good range of maneuvers and effects on the field. That's the kind of balance that keeps the game interesting and not either a dragging slog or a boring "i do a basic attack every turn" experience. Also I have a lot of fun designing encounters and maps.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

If I use Furz's Undeniable Command (Magician 1) to command a target to use a Ranged attack, does it provoke Opportunities from my adjacent allies?

e: Also, if I roll a 6 as a Chaos Mage (which allows me to forgo the extra damage to deal an additional effect) Blaster, can I use my Multitarget Boost to deal both of those effects to an additional target?

Without opening up the rulebook to check the exact wording, I'd say yes to the first and no to the second. That might be too strong for Furz, so I'm making a note to take a look at it tomorrow.

Also the three posts above this make me very happy. That's what I wanted to achieve, so it's great to hear that it's working. Thanks!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
e: n/m I'm stupid

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 8, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So playing my Nintendo Adventure setting and I'm having trouble with a player abusing the controller's slide effect procing on prismatic spray in order to slide enemies into hazards. It's cool every now and then, but it's all he does.

What would be the recommended way to force him to try new tactics? I don't want to have a video game themed setting not be full of lava and telegraphed attacks, but I also want him to think a bit in combat, and be challenged.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Are you electing to have the enemies in question attempt to roll to safety as described under the Forced Movement entry in the glossary (pg. 64 of the kickstarter preview), or are you having them dive and the prone on success is too punitive for you?

There are also a few Monster Traits such as Balanced and Massive that could help out as long as you don't overuse them.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

They've been landing on their feet, just in the blast radius of an oncoming bomb or in a freshly opened lava pit. Those solutions should probably work though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is there a repository of Strike monsters and magic items anywhere?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gort posted:

Is there a repository of Strike monsters and magic items anywhere?

Well the KS preview has the sample monsters, and the Dr. Frankenstein backers preview is up, too. Other than that, no. I intend to type up the monsters I've been using for my XCOM game, but they are just scratched on some scrap paper right now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
An item repository would be cool because while the custom monster design pages are really useful and easy, the instructions to make items are not so much.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

An item repository would be cool because while the custom monster design pages are really useful and easy, the instructions to make items are not so much.

I think you underestimate quite how lazy I am and how willing I am to throw an endless procession of reskinned strikers and snipers at my players. Please, think of my players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gort posted:

I think you underestimate quite how lazy I am and how willing I am to throw an endless procession of reskinned strikers and snipers at my players. Please, think of my players.

An endless procession of reskinned snipers and strikers neatly characterizes most of the enemies I've been using for my X-COM game. Sectoids are sniper goons with psychic bullshit. Thin men are snipers with a nasty poison gas encounter power. Floaters are flying snipers. Chryssalids are straight strikers. Seekers are obviously combination Sneaks/Grapplers.

I haven't used outsiders yet, but they are just snipers who can nail you through cover. The drones I used were terrible and boring and need a redesign - they did little damage and took little damage and had no special powers except repairing each other (which I didn't even use when I saw how slow the combat would be), making them a boring-rear end slog.

Edit: I'd like to include a bigger list of items, so please everyone post an item or two if you want me to put it in the game. I can write up some myself, but you will all have different perspectives and come up with things I wouldn't think of.

• Locked thread