Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
The AI being willing to march into native territory is a key part to most of my Kongo starts if Benin has a standing army. My last few tries had Benin not getting themselves involved in any war which makes invading them pretty tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Played enough games post CS and Austria still dominates a good portion of them. Never had Bohemia take power. Usually some minor gets it if Austria loses it and that's only if Austria rampages.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Im playing an Austria game at the moment and can confirm its harder to perma keep the emporership at the start but then gets easier after 50-100 years when you're properly settled and always have high prestige etc.

I can easily see the ai loving it up.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

quote:

- Countries on a different continent than the current Emperor are no longer eligible to be Emperor.
Now I want to see somebody pull the cross-continental evacuation thing in order to permanently relocate the Emperor title to a different continent.

Or move to Australia, colonize the whole thing, and become perma-Emperor.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

If I feed an eligible vassal all of the correct provinces, will it form Italy, or is that going to be down to a random choice by the AI to take a national decision?

I want Italy as a vassal. For reasons.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's always been easy to be too aggressive as Austria and make all the electors hate you.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

JonBolds posted:

If I feed an eligible vassal all of the correct provinces, will it form Italy, or is that going to be down to a random choice by the AI to take a national decision?

I want Italy as a vassal. For reasons.

Most nation forming decisions require you not to be a subject nation. Just checked and Italy has the "is_subject = no" part, so no, they won't be able to

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Allyn posted:

Most nation forming decisions require you not to be a subject nation. Just checked and Italy has the "is_subject = no" part, so no, they won't be able to

Thanks. I'll have to release the super-vassal, let them form italy, and then re-conquer.

This should be fun?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

quote:

- It is now 100% more expensive for primitives to develop their provinces.
- The cost to improve provinces is no longer increased by +5 for each time developed
- Increased cost to develop from +1% to +2% per existing development.

- Reduced trade power from provinces, Important Centers of Trade, and Tolls.
- Reduced maintenance of light ships.
:eyepop:

- Rank 2 countries now get +1 diplomat, and rank 3 countries +1 free leader.

- Rebalanced trade ideas to give more trade power (to compensate for power lost from trade efficiency).
- Horse Artillery policy is now +10% artillery power (down from +20%). :smith:

- Most papal actions now give 20 year modifiers instead of one time boosts.
- Now possible to switch between the Buddhist faiths.

- Chinese & Indian tech groups now start at tech 3.

- Only navies now take on arrival attrition.

- In order to demand provinces you must now be able to make them your core
- Large nations now get more AE
- Increased base naval forcelimits to +12 for independent nation and +4 for subject nation.
- You now get army tradition for each fully maintained non-obsolete fort, up to a maximum of +1. The amount you get depends on how many forts you have compared to your total development level.

# AI
- Will now refuse to be vassalised by a country that owns its cores.
- Now more reluctant to ally countries with a significantly weaker military potential.
- Will no longer care to colonize Arctic provinces if they don't already own territory in the same area.
- Colonial Nations are now willing to spend more of their budget on colonists.

- Added alert for when an explorer is ready to explore (and there is at least one available non-circumnavigation mission).
- Added larger versions of diplomacy view for higher resolutions.
- Find province displays a flashing highlight around found province to make it easier to locate.

- Polish and Lithuanian development levels adjusted slightly.
- French Development levels boosted slightly in 1444.

there's so much stuff wow. looks like some buffs to France- AI won't join England if it calls a PU war over France too.

would be nice if they'd let you switch from Confucian to Buddhist too in the interim while they get ready to represent China better

e: oh yeah re: draining marshes in Netherlands

quote:

- Added decision to lower the development cost of the Amsterdam province.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 26, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't these seem huge:

quote:

- In order to demand provinces you must now be able to make them your core

Does that mean you can't take provinces you can't directly start coring after the war? For example, in most recent Ethiopia game I've taken some territory that I had to sequentially core, because I couldn't core them all at first, but the provinces were contiguous with my existing cores. Could I no longer take those provinces if I couldn't core them immediately?
Post below me has the context duh.

And on the second one, doesn't that mean "take enough provinces to get below 100% war score to vassalize" won't be as simple as 2 wars to eat the whole country anymore?

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 26, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

quote:

- In order to demand provinces you must now be able to make them your core (if not already), either directly or eventually through other provinces you are taking at the same time.
rest in peace exodus strategies.

e:

Trabisnikof posted:

And on the second one, doesn't that mean "take enough provinces to get below 100% war score to vassalize" won't be as simple as 2 wars to eat the whole country anymore?

Pretty sure they are talking about diplovassalization there.

e2

quote:

- Will no longer care to colonize Arctic provinces if they don't already own territory in the same area.
Isn't that also already the case. There are no colonizeable provinces anymore in my england game except for siberia and nobody has even attempted trying to colonize there.

quote:

- Removed tech group restriction from decisions to change government to Merchant or Aristocratic Republics.
Heh. I remember bitching about this a lot back when those were first introduced.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 26, 2015

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
Is there a bug with colonists? I'm playing Granada and its 601 days travel time whether I try to colonise Siberia or west Africa.

Donald Duck fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 26, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

quote:

# Subjects
- Which religion a released country/vassal gets is now based on the majority religion in their core provinces (with previous religion counting as 50% larger than it actually is).
Oh, neat. I actually could've really used that in my old Bengal game where I wanted to release someone to feed more territory to but didn't because they wouldn't have been my religion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish there was a way to see WHY the AI hates you in the empire. I hover over all the electors and they all show I'm at like -1100 and they list how much they like or hate everyone else, but not why. When I play in the HRE I never have any idea why anyone becomes emperor or why anyone votes for anyone so I end up ignoring it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man those patch notes are crazy. Tons of good stuff in there, and that's without even reading the gigantic bug fix list.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there was a way to see WHY the AI hates you in the empire. I hover over all the electors and they all show I'm at like -1100 and they list how much they like or hate everyone else, but not why. When I play in the HRE I never have any idea why anyone becomes emperor or why anyone votes for anyone so I end up ignoring it.

If all the electors have you at -1000 for Emperorship, chances are that it's because you are ineligible for the position. Generally, the biggest reasons for why this might be the case are: A. You aren't in the Empire and all the electors like people who are in the Empire better than you, B. Your current monarch is Female and no one has gotten the Pragmatic Sanction, or C. you are a dirty heathen who follows a religion that's different from the current "official" religion of the Empire. I don't believe there are any other reasons for why you wouldn't be able to become the emperor, so if it isn't any of those three things then I have no clue as to why you could be at -1000 (unless you have a whole ton of AE and survived the clusterfuck of coalition wars somehow).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

- Only navies now take on arrival attrition.
Could someone please explain what this means? I don't understand the grammar at all. :psyduck:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

quote:

# Development
- It is now 100% more expensive for primitives to develop their provinces.

So wait, what are Native Americans supposed to do now? Buildings costing 100 ducats and being restricted by development really screwed them over, but being able to develop helped them a little bit. With this change they are now thoroughly screwed in terms of expanding, going tall, or doing anything fun at all until the Europeans get to them. What are they supposed to do?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Baronjutter posted:

-1000 is always because you are ineligible usually because of government type, maybe religion.

The -100 is just they don't like you. If you leave the mouse on them for a while it should say a breakdown. Like -50 heretic, +50 royal marriage etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VerdantSquire posted:

If all the electors have you at -1000 for Emperorship, chances are that it's because you are ineligible for the position. Generally, the biggest reasons for why this might be the case are: A. You aren't in the Empire and all the electors like people who are in the Empire better than you, B. Your current monarch is Female and no one has gotten the Pragmatic Sanction, or C. you are a dirty heathen who follows a religion that's different from the current "official" religion of the Empire. I don't believe there are any other reasons for why you wouldn't be able to become the emperor, so if it isn't any of those three things then I have no clue as to why you could be at -1000 (unless you have a whole ton of AE and survived the clusterfuck of coalition wars somehow).

I'm playing as custom netherlands, about half my provinces are in the empire. I've taken a bunch of imperial provinces illegally and constantly ignore the demands to return them. I've vassalized electors and free cities. I lead the protestant league in a quick and decisive war that resulted in protestantism being the official empire religion, which saw Austria permanently lose its emperorship and it pass on to Saxony, who has been emperor over and over for a very very long time and seems to have blobbed big enough to form Germany and is my main rival.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So will the new patch break saves? I'm guessing it will, but might as well confirm.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there was a way to see WHY the AI hates you in the empire.

You can already do this though? Hover over the elector in the HRE view.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Poil posted:

Could someone please explain what this means? I don't understand the grammar at all. :psyduck:
If it' referring to what I think it's referring to, armies take a small amount of attrition just upon arriving to an enemy province. There used to be a way around it by telling armies to go past the province and then cancelling the last move order once the armies is in the province, but I think that got fixed in CS. So it seems like this has just been taken out (for armies at least), probably as a slight buff to manpower since it's easier to lose it all now.

GSD posted:

So will the new patch break saves? I'm guessing it will, but might as well confirm.
I think Wiz said that it probably shouldn't, but all the usual caveats apply about unforeseen bugs and all the other fun stuff that comes with any major patch that changes a shitload of things.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 26, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm just sad the beta isn't out until Tuesday, so I can't start a fresh game over the weekend with all the fixes.

Need early access beta patches.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sorced posted:

Rip kongo vs mutapa 1v1 30 year war.

Doesn't this change just mean "Non-European countries cannot hold the emperor title?"

Edit

Absent human player exploit.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I'm playing as custom netherlands, about half my provinces are in the empire. I've taken a bunch of imperial provinces illegally and constantly ignore the demands to return them. I've vassalized electors and free cities. I lead the protestant league in a quick and decisive war that resulted in protestantism being the official empire religion, which saw Austria permanently lose its emperorship and it pass on to Saxony, who has been emperor over and over for a very very long time and seems to have blobbed big enough to form Germany and is my main rival.

None of these answer the main question: are you a republic? (and yes dutch republic counts). If you are you cannot be emperor for obvious reasons.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

So wait, what are Native Americans supposed to do now? Buildings costing 100 ducats and being restricted by development really screwed them over, but being able to develop helped them a little bit. With this change they are now thoroughly screwed in terms of expanding, going tall, or doing anything fun at all until the Europeans get to them. What are they supposed to do?

Still develop. Even with the new +100% after you develop a province ~13 times development will end up cheaper then in the current patch. If they had not introduced some penalty for developing as a primitive a huge number of provinces in the new world would've ended up in the 30 development+ range.

ZombieLenin posted:

Doesn't this change just mean "Non-European countries cannot hold the emperor title?"

Yes. This lead to some hilarious results if the 30 year war started when say kongo was the emperor.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 26, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

VDay posted:

I think Wiz said that it probably shouldn't, but all the usual caveats apply about unforeseen bugs and all the other fun stuff that comes with any major patch that changes a shitload of things.

Now that I think about it more, I am not sure why I was expecting it to. There aren't map changes, which is what really shatters saves. So that makes sense. Expect weirdness but they might still work. Thanks.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

quote:

- Increased cost to develop from +1% to +2% per existing development.
- Development & Administrative efficiency is now gained 20% at a time around 1630, 1700 and 1760, for a total of 60% (up from 50%).
:vince:

quote:

- Horse Artillery policy is now +10% artillery power (down from +20%).
- 'Organized Construction' economic idea is now -10% build cost (down from -20%).
But why, Economics wasn't even that great

quote:

- In order to demand provinces you must now be able to make them your core (if not already), either directly or eventually through other provinces you are taking at the same time.
P-phew thank god my Tunis run is already underway but those other achievements just got a whole lot harder

quote:

- Lowered Aggressive Expansion impact when taking core of vassal.
Wow wasn't expecting a change to make blobbing super easier

quote:

- No single entry of a peace treaty can now cost more than 300 diplomatic power (for example, releasing a huge junior PU partner than no longer cost more than 300 DIP).
Goodbye Lith and Aragon PUs, that 999 cost kept me away but now you're hosed

quote:

- Papal AI is now less likely to be militaristic.
RIP Pope Italy every single game

quote:

- HRE mapmode now displays Free Cities and should be much clearer about what provinces are actually in the Empire and who is Emperor/Elector.
Is there also a way to display who is a heretic prince in the map mode too?

quote:

Rank 2 countries now get +1 diplomat
:smith: should've made a comment about this earlier

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Wow wasn't expecting a change to make blobbing super easier

You missed the change that specifically adds AE if you're a big nation. No concrete number so who knows how much of an impact it'll have but it'll be there now.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VDay posted:

If it' referring to what I think it's referring to, armies take a small amount of attrition just upon arriving to an enemy province. There used to be a way around it by telling armies to go past the province and then cancelling the last move order once the armies is in the province, but I think that got fixed in CS. So it seems like this has just been taken out (for armies at least), probably as a slight buff to manpower since it's easier to lose it all now.

It isn't really because manpower is easier to lose, it is more that they got rid of the old exploit, which was probably difficult to do, and people immediately found another (moving travelling troops out of one unit into another unit on the province you want to siege using the organise units option), which would probably be difficult to also remove. Plus, with new siege mechanics it is more of just a bother anyway, because if you send over a perfectly sized stack over you would have to wait one, maybe two months before they could even start sieging, which is just silly. When guys arrived outside of a fort and stood there historically, they were sieging, not standing 10ft back and waiting for the 50 men who mysteriously died when settling into a siege before the siege really even began. Arrival attrition was dumb anyway, if you really want to give armies more attrition, then why not just crank normal attrition up .2% or something small but still noticeable? It is harder to find exploits around that, and it actually allows an idea group to reduce impact of arriving instead of the dumb mandatory attrition you suffered, giving a better reason to take defensive or quantity.

It didn't make much sense that arriving at a place would cause more attrition anyway, arriving and resting for a few days in an unoccupied province is less exhausting than constant marching. The first thing you would do on arriving is scavenge food and find places to rest, which is something you don't have time for while on the march, so really the opposite would be true.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 26, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

there's so much stuff wow. looks like some buffs to France- AI won't join England if it calls a PU war over France too.

This will be good.

Also, large nations taking more AE is going to cause a forum riot for sure, despite being a great idea.

Donald Duck posted:

Is there a bug with colonists? I'm playing Granada and its 601 days travel time whether I try to colonise Siberia or west Africa.

Save and reload. If your shortest path to a province gets occupied or blockaded, the game has a tendency to bug out and show 601 days until you reload.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

This will be good.

Also, large nations taking more AE is going to cause a forum riot for sure, despite being a great idea.

Yeah it's pretty obviously a good idea. Large nations are more able to fight against coalitions and have the ability to wage consecutive wars in different regions to spread out AE load. Currently coalitions are only really dangerous when you're still fairly small, unless you do something crazy and get a Spain-to-Poland coalition against you.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Sorced posted:

None of these answer the main question: are you a republic? (and yes dutch republic counts). If you are you cannot be emperor for obvious reasons.

Oh, yeah. I didn't consider the whole republican thing as well, but it's not hard to understand why a republic can't ever become the Emperor, even if they are a Dutch republic with the Orangists in power. You should also check if your capital is inside the HRE and you are fully considered a part of the Empire. A quick way to check this is to go to the Imperial Mapmode and check if the Imperial territory you have has yellow stripes; if it does, then you aren't actually a part of the Empire (and considering that Saxony hates you, you probably never will be able to enter it).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah, I'm a Noble republic. I didn't even think of the government angle.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am loving those patch notes. I, too, want early access to the beta patch.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The patch cleans up a lot of nation formation weirdness but the decision to form Italy is still broken

Also this change is bullshit:

code:
Decreased chance of Lux Stella and Starlight events firing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Patch notes posted:

This sound absolutely crippling to diplovassalizing, or am I misreading this?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You know what, instead of a +1 diplomat at kingdom and +1 leader at empire I think it would be cooler if you get +1 free national policy slot at kingdom and at empire rank.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

This sound absolutely crippling to diplovassalizing, or am I misreading this?

Just feed its cores to another vassal. Stupid vassals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You know what, instead of a +1 diplomat at kingdom and +1 leader at empire I think it would be cooler if you get +1 free national policy slot at kingdom and at empire rank.

I would be just fine with this change, if influence and aristocracy got something else to make them worthwhile again!

E:

Uh, that was diplomacy, not influence, and it's not nearly as big an offender as aristocracy, don't take that the wrong way. Really, it's aristocracy I'm worried for, as you really don't need 4-5 leaders.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 26, 2015

• Locked thread