Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, we're all going to call in Master of Disguise this year, aren't we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm either calling in that, The Stupids, or The Pest. I can't decide :( they're all so good/bad in their own different ways..

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Evil Mastermind posted:

All aboard for bad impressions of bad impressions!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just got to the point of the episode where the baby is doing all the shapeshift-y stuff.

Am I the only person who doesn't find that stuff disturbing or horrific? Am I missing something?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just got to the point of the episode where the baby is doing all the shapeshift-y stuff.

Am I the only person who doesn't find that stuff disturbing or horrific? Am I missing something?

They put up some pictures on the Facebook page, it is fairly unsettling IMHO, I assume it's even worse in motion.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I did check some clips on YouTube since it's been a long time; there's a few "make a sudden weird-rear end face right up in the fisheye lens" shots with the baby, but those feel like they were going more for a jump scare thing than anything else.

And holy poo poo they weren't kidding that this movie loving loves that fisheye lens.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Firstborn posted:

It tries to be zany but there are parts of pure terror.

I warned you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobkatt013 posted:

Love guru, Master of Disguise, and son of mask triple feature. Maybe add what I am almost positive next weeks movie is going to be Terminator 3

No way is that as bad as Master of Disguise, Love Guru, and Son of the Mask. Not even in the same hemisphere of badness.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gyges posted:

No way is that as bad as Master of Disguise, Love Guru, and Son of the Mask. Not even in the same hemisphere of badness.

No doubt but you have to have something to look forward to!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I Hate that that mask sperm video is now in my view history

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

You know it takes a lot of effort for a movie in 2005 to have worse CGI than a movie from 1994 but by golly they did it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Surprisingly, I'm very happy this is here. I knew eventually I'd cave and seek this out, and I'm grateful my history doesn't include searches for "The Mask sperm scene."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Three of the four not seeing that scene and the interlude to watch it is the funniest WHM moment in a while.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
If they do Terminator 3 and neglect to discuss Arnold's "upside-down with the head into the toilet...this is the perfect opportunity to do that!" comment from the commentary I will be really disappointed.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

weekly font posted:

Three of the four not seeing that scene and the interlude to watch it is the funniest WHM moment in a while.

I just kind of want to know how Chris got a cut that included that deleted scene.

I mean, even if he torrented it, who would put the deleted scenes back in?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Chris showed them that scene; just this choir of throaty "WHAT"s with intermittent beats of cold sweat and pearl clutching

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I just kind of want to know how Chris got a cut that included that deleted scene.

I'm pretty sure the TV edit I saw over here had the sperm scene in it, because I was totally with him and had no idea what the other guys were so baffled by because holy poo poo that is not a sight you forget soon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It could have been an international version. Something like a Canadian cut with scenes too racy for real Americans. And when it comes to Son of the Mask, I doubt anyone cares enough to practice strict control on the versions of the film they're licensing out.

The reason IMDB lacked information on alternate versions is because no one is going to admit to watching Son of the Mask twice to note the differences.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Eric's impression of the people making the Google Doodles was amazing

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

weekly font posted:

It surprised the hell out of me. Then "Ladies and gentleman... some new evidence has surfaced..." or something.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Holy poo poo, Animation Damnation is doing Pokemon.

And it's an episode I clearly remember, how :psyduck:

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

It's kind of mystifying how these guys know nothing about Pokemon; they're a bit younger than me and basically in the perfect demographic for that show in 1998. Did they even know it was a video game?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I thought I remembered this episode at first but apparently there were multiple episodes involving Pokemon ghosts and the one I remembered involved Ash dying and his ghost hanging out with the ghost pokemon before being brought back life.

...Pokemon was weird.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bobservo posted:

It's kind of mystifying how these guys know nothing about Pokemon; they're a bit younger than me and basically in the perfect demographic for that show in 1998. Did they even know it was a video game?

They would have been like 15-16 years old

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bobservo posted:

The level of lack of knowledge kind of makes it great. They have a serious discussion as to whether Team Rocket are vampires.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

bobservo posted:

They're all a few years older than me and I was pretty much over Pokemon by the time the first film came out. I was super into all the original 151 stuff, the show and cards and everything, but by 2000 I was 13ish and already feeling too old for all the non-game media. So if anything I would have only expected the guys to be familiar with the very first wave.

The Pokemon age math also continues to confirm for me just how perfectly calibrated they are to a specific generation. It's not a bad thing, I'm sure there are 20 or 50 year olds who can enjoy all of the riffs, but it seems to be extra fun if you're within +/- 4 years of the gang's ages or so.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

They would have been like 15-16 years old

They've said their ages on the show before, and I think everyone was born around 84-85, which would make them 13 and 14 in 1998. I'm only stating this because I watched Pokemon when I was 16 and am only slightly ashamed.

The level of lack of knowledge kind of makes it great. They have a serious discussion as to whether Team Rocket are vampires.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that aspect of the episode. They just seemed more like retirees trying to describe one of those danged vidya games instead of the 30-somethings who've had MULTIPLE conversations about the Star Fox universe.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 26, 2015

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The guys are 31/32 and like me would have been about 16 when the anime exploded in 99. I can say for a fact no one wanted to be the known as the guy watching PokemonI'm high school. That's the type of poo poo you keep deep in the closet.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

The guys are 31/32 and like me would have been about 16 when the anime exploded in 99. I can say for a fact no one wanted to be the known as the guy watching PokemonI'm high school. That's the type of poo poo you keep deep in the closet.

UM ACTUALLY it exploded in 1998 *pushes glass up nose and into frontal lobe*

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bobservo posted:

They've said their ages on the show before, and I think everyone was born around 84-85, which would make them 13 and 14 in 1998. I'm only stating this because I watched Pokemon when I was 16 and am only slightly ashamed.

It's a fine line, but they were born in like 1983-1984, and are 31-32, like me. And, for some totally anecdotal evidence, I always saw Pokemon as something my little brother was into, and not me, and he's 4 years younger than me.

So it's a fine line, but they'd likely be just on the "Didn't watch it" side of the line, like me.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

It's a fine line, but they were born in like 1983-1984, and are 31-32, like me. And, for some totally anecdotal evidence, I always saw Pokemon as something my little brother was into, and not me, and he's 4 years younger than me.

So it's a fine line, but they'd likely be just on the "Didn't watch it" side of the line, like me.

I just thought it was odd that it seemed like an absolutely foreign concept to them. Even if you were too old for it, Pokemon was basically unavoidable for two years. You're absolutely right about it being a fine line, though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

I'm 32, I was born in 1983. Pokemon Red/Blue came out in 1996. That would make me 13 and in 8th grade/freshman in HS. Everyone (except the super cool kids) played Pokemon on their GBs.

The card game came out a year later, I was a Sophomore and purchased a ton of cards, realized it was even too dorky for me (and I played MTG) so I traded the cards to all the little kids on the bus for PlayStation games, until one of their dropout older brothers jumped me and beat me up for stealing his little brothers games.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bobservo posted:

I just thought it was odd that it seemed like an absolutely foreign concept to them. Even if you were too old for it, Pokemon was basically unavoidable for two years. You're absolutely right about it being a fine line, though.

I think if you're not interested, all you see is weird creatures in the news.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Yeah, like how Skylanders has been absolutely gigantic for the past few years but unless you're a parent or work with kids the most you probably know about it is "that thing with Spyro The Dragon in it".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Really the key is if they've got a younger brother/sister or not. They may have been on the line as to whether or not they'd jump into Pokemon, but with a younger sibling you're going to learn all that poo poo through osmosis.

Also they're all nerds, so the line is pretty porous to begin with.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, like how Skylanders has been absolutely gigantic for the past few years but unless you're a parent or work with kids the most you probably know about it is "that thing with Spyro The Dragon in it".

I told my little brother Skylanders was a scam when he was six, and then he got in trouble for punching a screen showing it at a store.

That's my Skylanders story.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Gotta say this is getting me intrigued in the vinnie brusco show, the guest bro is funny.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

bobservo posted:

There's a weird, solid line with Pokemon. I know nothing about it. But people just a few years younger than me know everything about it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I hope the next mailbag is nothing but nerds complaining about their lack of Pokemon knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I was just getting into college and nerdy and video gamey enough to know all about Pokémon. I could very easily see someone a few years younger thinking they are too cool for school on Pokémon.