Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

How do I cheat the dice game with Lady? I tried all kinds of different attacks but the results seem random.

The diving air stab with Kalina Ann def works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

How do I cheat the dice game with Lady? I tried all kinds of different attacks but the results seem random.

Standing melee definitely works, but it's got windup frames so you've got to time it properly.

Standing melee seems to work for every character as far as I can tell, it will always roll whatever number was on top.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The new characters are all brutally powerful but in really fun ways. They're not quite on par with Dante but they're about as fun as Nero.

Eh I dunno dude, it feels like Vergil upstages his bro so bad with how insane Yamato is, with Lady and Trish just below the two and stomping the poo poo out of Nero.

I mean, I can get S-ranks easy with Nero but everyone else is either more complicatedly fun like the Sparda bros or has brutally OP stuff like Lady. Or both, like Vergil :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It feels like Vergil has more trouble with certain bosses, Credo was actually pretty tough.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
you can straight up infinite credo by just doing the first two hits of yamato air combo -> teleport over and over after launching him

guess they didn't program him to deal with someone that has unlimited air attacks like that

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

It feels like Vergil has more trouble with certain bosses, Credo was actually pretty tough.

I'm wondering how to break his shield reliably, because otherwise it's Rapid Slash every time there's an opening, Credo gets launched away, then recovers. That's kinda fun in of itself, but I want to combo a motherfucker.

Might end up doing the infinite air loop if I get sick of it though. At least Heavy Rain Swords actually puts him in super slo-mo if I'm in a bad position.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Lady trashes Echinda so hard, it is amusing to me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody say Vergil vs Credo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EurrG6A2D3A

DMD Credo is such an rear end in a top hat. He's not too bad in his first phase, but in the second, if he decides he wants you hit, you're getting hit. Mainly by his phase two stab, gently caress that thing. And his air tech timings are weird, sometimes he'll let you just do two yamato slashes into lunar phase for four reps before he has enough, sometimes he just goes out by the first hit. His second sword slash of his basic combo is weird too, sometimes it tracks really well, sometimes it doesn't even bother.

He's still a really fun fight though, I really should be more aggressive to mix it up and not spend as much of the first phase loving with his AI. And doing the more damage efficient yamato > lunar combo instead of the easier yamato only one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I need to make a mental note to never use Spiral Swords against Dante when I try to fight him on DMD.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Something to note, costumes apply to characters you're not currently playing.

So yes, you can beat the hell out of DmC skinned Dante if that's your thing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alkarl posted:

żEl Orden de la Espada, eh?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Alkarl posted:

Something to note, costumes apply to characters you're not currently playing.

I hope someone gets round to recording all the cutscenes with Nero replaced by DmC Dante.

Hopefully modders can do things like importing new character models.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to rebind Lady's shoot button to triggers (like Nero) and the style button to the default melee attack, it takes some getting used to but it feels more "right" to be pressing the default melee button for the heavy hitting moves.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
It's me, I'm enabling lovely DLC practices because I want to play Super characters. :(

The blue orbs though, does the mean there aren't any blue orbs to collect in game, so you can't extend your health without having to actually pay real money for it? :stare: I'm still downloading the game on my glacial connection currently. :negative:

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

limited posted:

It's me, I'm enabling lovely DLC practices because I want to play Super characters. :(

The blue orbs though, does the mean there aren't any blue orbs to collect in game, so you can't extend your health without having to actually pay real money for it? :stare: I'm still downloading the game on my glacial connection currently. :negative:

No, Capcom aren't nearly that terrible. There are all the same blue orbs as in the original version.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, mission 19 is bad enough as it is in the regular game, with Virgil is must be like a sick joke. You have to fight the same bosses with the same character THREE TIMES, and does Virgil even have a dice trick like Nero?

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Just use the first hit of the basic Yamato combo. Did the trick for me! :):

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Vergil's first attack with Yamato works for the dice trick. Same with Lady's first melee attack assuming you account for windup.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Man, mission 19 is bad enough as it is in the regular game, with Virgil is must be like a sick joke. You have to fight the same bosses with the same character THREE TIMES, and does Virgil even have a dice trick like Nero?

Yeah you hit the dice once. It's not that hard, it's actually faster with Vergil because he's super good and trashes all of the bosses in the game except Credo in general and guess who's not in the boss rush?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if Credo is one of my favorites specifically because it's a really fun fight, or because he only shows up once.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's because all the other bosses suck

the three big demons all have like three moves and the exact same pattern of charge -> shoot projectiles -> oh no im stunned please don't press circle and god of war me -> some sort of get away from me move after they get up
dante button reads way too hard meaning your actual options for fighting him are way too limited, in particular if he goes into royal guard and you aren't nero you literally get to sit there and wait for him to stop being in that mode wtf is that
bugman loses hard to just getting in his gril and hitting buttons, all of his moves whiff or have huge tells but he's still the best non credo boss
sanctus, the savior and that dumb window barely even count as boss fights and are super lovely

shame they couldn't actually finish the game so we could get the planned gilgamesh/lucifer/pandora bosses, those probably would've been awesome

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

darealkooky posted:

it's because all the other bosses suck

dante button reads way too hard meaning your actual options for fighting him are way too limited, in particular if he goes into royal guard and you aren't nero you literally get to sit there and wait for him to stop being in that mode wtf is that

Dante is actually a really, really, well designed boss because it ties into how Nero is a total rookie compared to Dante. Dante is better with a sword and his guns, is faster then Nero and you won't have an easy time trying to beat him on his terms. What he doesn't have are Nero's biggest strengths: the devil bringer, level three charge shot and level three exceeded moves.

Once you realise that you can't out perform him and start getting tricky the fight really opens up and is lots of fun since it becomes a reactionary game of play and counter-play between you and the boss.

Looking forward to see how the other characters match up to him now.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Angus is always my favorite boss because he's so easy to gently caress up and style on. Just a big punching bag. Feels good to fight after the other bosses. Also because of his cutscenes but we all know that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dante vs Vergil is kinda of even, but it feels like it can be pretty easy to overwhelm Dante so it's more in Vergil's favor, at least until Royal Guard comes out and you need to chill out.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Dol posted:

Looking forward to see how the other characters match up to him now.

Lady's catharsis. It ends up being a game of cat and mouse with you completely outmatching Dante's gunslinger skills.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

lady jumps on dante's face and shoots him with his shotgun until he dies

also DmC was totally planned to replace DMC lolll

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm dying from that poo poo right now

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Fereydun posted:

lady jumps on dante's face and shoots him with his shotgun until he dies

ahahahaha, ahahahaha, no

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vergil's voice came out of my controller, help.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Beef Chief posted:

do whatever he says, dont question it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

You are married to him now. Sorry.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Not a negative.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The new version of the Style Switcher mod for DMC3 just got released, the author says he still needs to add a few things but for now it seems some pretty significant changes in effect, most notably how weapons and styles no longer seem to immediately be at the highest level with all actions unlocked if you have Style Switching enabled, and I don't think you can access Quicksilver or Doppelganger from the start of the game anymore with it enabled either.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Just finished playing through the SE with Nero/Dante. The motion blur and depth of field blurring are starting to get to me and I really hope they release a patch soon, because while people have found a way to turn them off it involves hex editing. :waycool:

Most of the changes I noticed were very minor but might as well list them:

The game vomits up Red Orbs like no tomorrow. I bought all the Blue Orbs and Purple Orbs long before I finished my first playthrough.
As I noted before, the Speed ability now kicks in almost immediately which is awesome. It also seems to be a bit context sensitive. I was afraid it'd screw me up while doing the laser puzzles in Missions 9 & 10 but it didn't kick in. It also didn't kick in during the disappearing platform segments in Mission 7. It did kick in during the Free Running Secret Mission but apart from that it did all the right things. Great change.
Trickstering off a ledge no longer triggers the long jump into Speed ability, presumably because you don't need to do that anymore. Streak and Stinger off a ledge still do it though.
The tutorial against Dante at the start of the game is now tied to the Tutorial menu option, so you skip it if you turn tutorials off. This does make sense but you miss out on most of the Nero vs Dante cutscenes as a result which is a shame.
Boss music now fades out when the end of boss cutscene starts instead of ending abruptly.
I don't know if they changed Gladius AI but I had a bit of trouble in the Containment Room despite upgrading Snatch to level 3. The buggers dodged 90% of my Snatches. It's been a long time since I did the Containment Room though so this might not actually be a change.
Secret Missions are now no longer present for characters who can't do them. Very good change. Now people won't be wandering into the Royal Guard Secret Mission as Nero and wondering wtf a Royal Block is.
The final buster against Sanctus in Mission 20 bugged and didn't give me the triple-replay effect or the Jackpot! I haven't tried it again yet.
Only one save slot.
There's an extra message at the end of the game thanking you for playing. :3:

Again it's mostly dumb small stuff. Now to play through as Lady/Trish. :hellyeah:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dol posted:

Dante is actually a really, really, well designed boss because it ties into how Nero is a total rookie compared to Dante. Dante is better with a sword and his guns, is faster then Nero and you won't have an easy time trying to beat him on his terms. What he doesn't have are Nero's biggest strengths: the devil bringer, level three charge shot and level three exceeded moves.

Once you realise that you can't out perform him and start getting tricky the fight really opens up and is lots of fun since it becomes a reactionary game of play and counter-play between you and the boss.

aren't you basically just admitting that you have to devil bringer/charge shot spam dante instead of actually having fun fighting him? you can't really react to "every time you do a rushing move I will jump and helm breaker you", you just have to sit there and hope dante decides to do something that leaves him open instead of busting out a near instant shotgun blast you can't react to

maybe it makes sense in the story but dmc has done way better examples of boss fight design being dictated by story (like in dmc3 when vergil totally poaches beowulf and gets a weapon, complete with "look at this cool new weapon I got" scene like dante always does)

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 28, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I will say it's really cool that dante on higher difficulties/bloody palace will pull out new weapons to simulate being on a new game+ like you are, good job itsuno

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

#lovewins

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fereydun posted:

There's a surprise :rolleyes:

quote:

After Devil May Cry 4 came out and then Ninja Theory's DMC: Devil May Cry followed it, some fans were disappointed and felt the main series had ended. But I'm glad that the message is out there with Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition that the main series is not over, and that DMC: Devil May Cry did not kill it. But that isn't to say that the latter was just a one shot, that game also got it's own next-gen re-release earlier this year.

Capcom: "Please buy our hideous sniped baby abortion because we lost so much goddamn money on it please"

Ahaha!

For extra fun, here's some excerpts from Capcom's official DMC series guide thing about the reboot:

quote:

Ultimately DmC turned out to be an excellent game. The Capcom-Ninja Theory partnership was fruitfulk for both sides. Praise is certainly due to the English studio for its ideas, audacity and overall work, as well as to Capcom for their intelligent project managment. (:lol:)

I'm skipping over a quote that just stops short of calling people entitled gamers, over the super bad press that game had for its trailers and PR stuff.

Their conclusion is hilarious:

quote:

The Devil May Cry series still remains one of Capcom's most attractive licences. However the DmC reboot by NT does not seem to have met with the sucess it deserves. Only two weeks after release, Capcom lowered its expectations [intending to] distribute 2 million copies of the game, it went on to rethink its decision and decreased the number to 800,000 and 1.2 million. Another worrying sign; [Vergil's Downfall] was released without fanfare or publicity and was not tested on any French videogame website.

While far from catastrophic, this must have left a bitter taste in the mouths of Capcom's directors, who were hoping to outsell the four previous games [...] Despite admirable effort and results beyond expectations, the public just didn't respond.

DmC: Devil may Cry is the gift that keeps on giving.
---

Also Lady's playstyle is feeling pretty odd at first, but it's growing on me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My only real problem with Lady is that I just can't find a situation where I'd want to use the pistols instead of the shotgun or rocket launcher so one of her weapons just feels kinda worthless. It isn't even a "well, I can use this for fun' weapon since it's honestly her least-fun weapon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I just took Lady, Trish and Vergil for a spin. Holy poo poo. They're all amazingly unique but Trish might be my fav so far. Her ground slam move is what Dante's should have been. The Round Trip stun locks and then the ground slam just covers the screen with lightning and everything explodes oh god.

I also forgot to mention in my last post that they didn't fix Dante's DT distortion and I'm happy.

• Locked thread