Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't know about lately but the first Cynic album and first three Atheist albums are landmarks.

Yeah, I've heard them and some stuff by Dillinger Escape Plan that I consider jazzy, but it's much more of a free jazz influence rather than what most people would think of when you say jazz. Ballrog Boogie is a much better example of what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I hear that jazz metal has been taking off lately.

You heard wrong, it isn't.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

How about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

I've effortposted about this in this thread before, but the suggestions that have been posted so far are solid starters.

Also "Live Seeds."

Oh, here's the post

Allen Wren posted:

Nick Cave has a few reasonable entry points, since his career has been incredibly long and often wildly-varying. Starting with '& The Bad Seeds' material is generally your best bet, but excursions into his work with The Birthday Party and Grinderman are rewarding as well.

As far as his work with the Seeds goes, most people will point at the group's early work as the best starting point, and as deliriously unhinged and delightfully sadistic those records are, I don't personally consider them the best way to be introduced to the group---quite the opposite. The first time I listened to the Your Funeral...My Trial LP, I was quite honestly just not into it. My comments at the time were something along the lines of "Yes, Nick, I get it, heroin is a hell of a drug."

To compromise, I would suggest 1988's Tender Prey LP as the best balance between the relentless sonic fury and the tighter songwriting Cave would perfect as the years went on. It's also got on it "The Mercy Seat," which was the band's signature tune, at least until the nineties meant that every movie soundtrack in existence would have "Red Right Hand" on it. Once you're through that, if the more sonically violent tracks tickle your fancy, stuff like "City of Refuge" and "Sugar Sugar Sugar", then definitely consider the louder records, earlier stuff like From Her To Eternity, but also later material, like Let Love In and Murder Ballads. If you're more in tune with the more sedate material ("Watching Alice," "New Morning", etc.), then you'll probably want to move to records like The Good Son or The Boatman's Call.

There's basically no record that's all one particular sound, though, so there's always going to be some light in the darkness, some dark in the light. Boatman's Call comes closest, but even that, in the midst of Cave's reconciliation with the concepts of god and love, still has its moments of bleak despair.

Basically, as I call it, these are the must-hear records, but there's worthy material on every record they've done:

1984 - From Her To Eternity (Turn it up loud---loud, desperate and violent)
1988 - Tender Prey
1990 - The Good Son (Cave gets off the horse and falls in love---beautiful desolation)
1994 - Let Love In (Amps are turned back up, the arrangements get overblown and the lyrics get nasty...)
1996 - Murder Ballads (...but not as nasty as this. Almost entirely pure excess, Nick decides to write about murder and doesn't stop until something like 70 fictional murders are committed)
1997 - The Boatman's Call (A total 180 from the last two LPs, a quiet, subtle look at matters romantic and spiritual)
2003 - Nocturama (skippable except for the ridiculously awesome 15-minute closer, "Babe, I'm On Fire")
2004 - Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (The first disc is loud, the second is quiet---ignoring the two clankers that end the first disc and open the second, this might be the best thing the group's cut, though it sadly lacks that wacky German genius, Blixa Bargeld)

edit - gently caress, sorry, I rambled.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good starting point for Dr John?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I really dig his theme song for Curious George on PBS. :)

Seriously though, assuming you are interested in his current style, you can skip his first few (although, if you're into psychedelic, check out his debut Gris-Gris).

His first album that sounds like "him" is Dr. John's Gumbo. That and the one that followed it, In The Right Place, is where I'd start. If you want more recent releases, Mercenary and Tribal are both solid.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
What the gently caress do I even do with Jamiroquai. I like Little L, but have no idea where to start on what's apparently an artist with 6 albums.

Superimposition
Apr 23, 2014
Could anyone recommend me more glitchy arrangement stuff similar to Kashiwa Daisuke/Matryoshka or World's End Girlfriend?

Edit; oh drat wrong thread. Sorry.

Superimposition fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 3, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not in the late 70s and the 80s. The first six-ish records are his best, but Goin' Back to New Orleans, N'awlinz Dis Dat or d'Udda and Locked Down are great too. I'd go for Gris-Gris and Gumbo first, though The Sun, Moon & Herbs is probably my favourite.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

NTT posted:

What the gently caress do I even do with Jamiroquai. I like Little L, but have no idea where to start on what's apparently an artist with 6 albums.

I should say since you liked Little L try A Funk Odyssey, but truthfully after the first three records Jamiroquai really started to lose it in my opinion. In the later stuff Jay Kay seemed to take way too much control, as well as take way too much cocaine. Ditching the older funk influenced stuff for disco pastiches. Sacking the bass player and replacing him with a guy from a Jamiroquai tribute band was just a step too far.

Anyway like I said, I'd stick to their first three albums, Emergency On Planet Earth, Return Of The Space Cowboy and Travelling Without Moving. While I'd say Emergency is their only true classic, try Travelling Without Moving first. It's a nice happy medium between their earlier and later sounds.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Makes me sad to hear that :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good place to start for the Brand New Heavies?

Edit:

Also, can anyone who knows about British trad jazz / R&B from the 1960s tell me if the Mike Cotton Sound recorded more than one album? :shobon:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2015

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Wheat Loaf posted:

Edit:

Also, can anyone who knows about British trad jazz / R&B from the 1960s tell me if the Mike Cotton Sound recorded more than one album? :shobon:

Check out Brother Sister, which probably has all their well known hits. Their first album (the one with the elephant on the cover) is actually the one I prefer, though is more instrumental rather than vocal. I'm sure Acid Jazz Records re-issued it not too long ago as well.

It all gets a bit iffy post-Brother Sister. N'Dea Davenport leaves and the follow up LP - Shelter - is a bit spotty. After that I'd probably ignore them sadly (even when Davenport came back). The album they did with Nicole Russo suffered from having two great catchy singles stuck in a pile of mediocrity. BNH sadly fell into a bit of a generic 'Acid Jazz' trap, where they and Jamiroquai seemed to be what the genre should sound like to many, while it really was so much more than what they portrayed.

I think Mike Cotton only had one LP out as The Mike Cotton Sound, though he and his band did have an album out in the early 70s called Satisfaction (the name of the band and the album), which was a kinda proggy psychedelic Jazzy fusion thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, okay. I'm trying to get back into what I suppose is essentially old mod music; I'm familiar with most of the big names like the Animals, Them, Spencer Davis Group, Manfred Mann and very early Kinks, and I'm interested in the deeper cuts. I've been looking into stuff like Zoot Money and the Big Roll Band, some of the freakbeat groups, even Geno Washington (who for a long time has just been the title of a Dexys Midnight Runners song to me). Only problem is, a lot of the CDs are very expensive.

Likewise, the original Skatalites and Prince Buster albums from the 1960s, and most of the Tamla Motown albums, are very nearly impossible to get in that medium. I'm fairly sure most of them have never been released that way.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd go with the s/t debut with N'Dea and Heavy Rhyme Experience Vol. 1 then try out some of the other vocalists if you like them

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

How do I get into Madlib? Presumably Madvillainy, based just on reputation, but what else?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Allen Wren posted:

How do I get into Madlib? Presumably Madvillainy, based just on reputation, but what else?

Shades of Blue is the best release for understanding what makes Madlib Madlib. It's just a fantastic listen with no weak tracks and his production at the forefront.

From there, move on to Madvillainy. Then smoke some weed and listen to Quasimoto - The Unseen.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Where's a good place to start with Jimi Tenor?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best place to start with Ike & Tina Turner? The only songs I really know are "River Deep - Mountain High" and "Proud Mary". What about James Brown? I have Live At the Apollo and I'm familiar with his hit singles, but he (along with Ike & Tina Turner and the Impressions) is a one of the few gaps (though certainly a very big one) in my knowledge of soul music from the 1960s.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know much about Ike and Tina but I can say for sure that I liked James Brown live better than in the studio and you might just be best off looking up concerts and youtubes. His albums are kinda meh because he never had the same level of energy in them as he did in his live performances. He even mentioned that himself in an interview or two. I mean, they're not *bad* by any stretch but it's really not the same.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Although I understand the appeal and energy of his live shows and live at the apollo 63 and 68 are fine places to start, don't underestimate the power of his albums in particular The Payback and Fred Wesley and the JBs drat Right I am Somebody(recorded during the same sessions). Hell is also one Hell of an album :laugh:
For Ike and Tina I'd probably just recommend some early albums like The Soul of Ike and Tina Turner and Dynamite! but Let Me Touch Your Mind(1972) is one I personally enjoy because it features Andre Williams songwriting with Ike. Kings of Rhythm Soul of a Black Man is also very good and worth checking out, written while on tour with Tina

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sorry if it's been asked a lot but The Mountain Goats??

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Sandwolf posted:

pre-4ad (lo-fi solo) power ranking: full force galesburg > all hail west texas > sweden > the coroner's gambit > nine black poppies > zopilote machine > beautiful rat sunset > (wait until you care a lot to go past here) > nothing for juice > the three compilation records which are extremely good and cool but only if you care a lot. there are many good songs hidden in them (love cuts the strings, golden boy, alpha desperation march, teenage world, the bad doctor, every version of no i cant, etc) but also many boring ones.

post-4ad (full band) power ranking: we shall all be healed > beat the champ > tallahassee > get lonely > the sunset tree > a bunch of other ones that i don't particularly care for. i've heard tell that transcendental youth is good. i dont know its all too NPR for me. beat the champ is way better than everything after get loney.

also the three eps 'devil in the shortwave', 'isopanisad radio hour', and 'new asian cinema' are extremely good. get them.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 25, 2015

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

For a shorter list: Nine Black Poppies, All Hail West Texas, Nothing For Juice for lo-fi and We Shall All Be Healed, All Eternals Deck or Transcendental Youth for newer material with full band.

Pick a lo-fi album and sit with it. Get used to his songwriting/storytelling style. Move to another album when you want more.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The good full band ones are We shall all be healed, beat the champ, and Tallahassee, but there are good songs on the life of the world to come and the sunset tree, which is the one that everyone starts with. The Lofi rankings already stated are correct. you should start with Full Force Galesburg

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 25, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Muslimgauze? I've heard Maroon and Hamas Arc, and enjoyed the minimalist beeps-and-boops driven atmospheric/sample stuff as well as the more layered drum heavy work. Is there an essential Muslimgauze or do I just dive in at random?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Muslimgauze? I've heard Maroon and Hamas Arc, and enjoyed the minimalist beeps-and-boops driven atmospheric/sample stuff as well as the more layered drum heavy work. Is there an essential Muslimgauze or do I just dive in at random?

Of the 80s material, Flajelata is my favourite of what I've heard, it's very industrial sounding with cool drum machines. I'm less into the sample heavy material, lots of people seem to like Mullah Said though. The 90s albums released on Extreme are pretty good as well, check out Z'ulm and Citadel. At some point you'll probably just want to jump in and listen to a few albums at random though, he's got literally hundreds of releases and the small inconvenience of being dead hasn't slowed down the release schedule, there's still new material being put out pretty regularly.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

See if you can find Box of Silk and Dogs somewhere, that's a really good 9CD compilation, should probably give you a pretty good idea of his sounds and ethos.

As for albums, personally I'm most into his 90s stuff from what I've heard...off the top of my head, Silknoose and Gun Aramaic are both outstanding records.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Do check out Veiled Sisters

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Cool, thanks for the recommendations!

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Where do I start with Neurosis and Dead Can Dance?

And I love In Flames but really have no experience beyond them when it comes to death metal. Who else should I check out? I'm more fond of the more melodic, less growly stuff.
I know you asked this ages ago but I forgot this thread existed :(

With Dead Can Dance you could try picking up A Passage In Time which is a really nice retrospective of their 80s work and ought to give you some idea of whether you'll like them or not. If you want to go for an album I'd probably start with The Serpent's Egg. Give their self-titled first album a go as well, it has a different more gothic-rock sound to their later releases.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Where do I start with SNFU?
I've got Never Trouble Trouble Until Trouble Troubles You (because being the new one it's the only one I could find at a B&M).

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
go back to the start ...And No One Else Wanted to Play is a deadly debut record albeit less produced and maybe a little thrashier. The Last Time of Big Suspenders is a good comp from after their first breakup in 1990 but Better Than a Stick in the Eye is a great record and after reuniting Something Green and Leafy This Way Comes and The One Voted Most Likely to Succeed are good.
My friend put out the vinyl version of In the Meantime and In Between Time so I've listened to that one a bunch and another friend directed a documentary about Mr. Chai Pig called Open Your Mouth and Say...Mr. Chi Pig which is great and highly recommended.

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 10, 2015

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
that doc is good, grats to your friend.

listen to the first record its the good one

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Good place to start with Eels?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fruitpunch posted:

Good place to start with Eels?

There are basically 2 different kinds of Eels album - gentler, more depressing/reflective, music; and blues-y stuff.
For the former, Electro-Shock Blues is the best jumping-off point, referencing the deaths of his father and sister and having some great (and some really loving weird) tracks. It's probably my favourite album of his. If you like it, move on to Daisies Of The Galaxy, Blinking Lights And Other Revelations and End Times in that order.
For the more blues-y stuff, start with Souljacker and if you like it, move on to Shootenanny and Hombre Lobo and then go to Electro-Shock Blues just because it's that good.

Beautiful Freak is a hard album to recommend on the basis that it doesn't really sound like any of his other albums, and the same goes for Tomorrow Morning. Those albums are ones you should pick up once you've decided you like E's thing.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm ignorant of Elvis Costello. I'd like to explore beyond his well known songs.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

me your dad posted:

I'm ignorant of Elvis Costello. I'd like to explore beyond his well known songs.

Listen to My Aim is True and This Year's Model in that order. Two of the best rock albums of all time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy Get Happy!! - sort of retro-soul Stax-influenced material, pretty different from his first three albums. I also like Punch the Clock, which features the guys who played horns on the first Dexys Midnight Runners album.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I'll check out all of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As a free recommendation, if you enjoy the first few Elvis Costello albums, you might also like to try the first two Specials albums (Specials and More Specials).