Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's really no point to a massive Doom 1 level. It's not really a deep enough game where you can put something together like DVII or Sunder- you really need the Doom II monsters for that.

e) really, the way to make Doom 1 levels hard is to constrain the player's movement, which kind of precludes making huge levels. See: E4M1, E4M2, E4M6. I guess E4M6 is pretty big, but the areas you can actually move around in are constrained.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there any real benefit in making a Doom 1 WAD? Seems like Doom 2 is the full experience, at least for modders.

Hey, has anyone put Doom 1 in Doom 2? Like super shotguns in E1M1, and all the new enemies here and there?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PSX Doom adds Doom 2 enemies to the Doom maps but I don't think you can get the super shotgun in any of those maps without cheating.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, has anyone put Doom 1 in Doom 2? Like super shotguns in E1M1, and all the new enemies here and there?
Well, Samsara replaces the map powerup with a slot 3 weapon, so if you play as Doomguy there's that. I have a small mod that replaces the map with a super shotgun for when I wanna play vanilla or other mods. :shobon:

PSX Doom has some monster replacement going on, but it also lacks Archviles and Spider Masterminds, I think. Gotcha is probably super boring in that!

Alain Post posted:

There's really no point to a massive Doom 1 level. It's not really a deep enough game where you can put something together like DVII or Sunder- you really need the Doom II monsters for that.
Oh, absolutely, the new Doom 2 monsters add a lot of gameplay depth. I just like smaller maps and think they are a bit more fun to play. Doom 2 megawads tend to get carried away in how massive the levels get (even vanilla Doom 2 does that).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Yeah I feel you. It's a especially annoying because I don't really need much depth in these maps but as I play the more renowned map packs--for example now, going through Community Chest 4--I'm getting cyberdemon after cyberdemon and it's getting on my nerves. :mad:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Morter posted:

Yeah I feel you. It's a especially annoying because I don't really need much depth in these maps but as I play the more renowned map packs--for example now, going through Community Chest 4--I'm getting cyberdemon after cyberdemon and it's getting on my nerves. :mad:

Going through UV Brutal Doom 2 (BD 2.0) and holy poo poo, map10 with a pistol (rifle?) start :stare:

Yes, I'm aware of the secret near the start. Barely helps.

Edit: might as well call me Benjamin Franklin, because I'm kiting the poo poo out of everyone. :smug:

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Is there any real benefit in making a Doom 1 WAD? Seems like Doom 2 is the full experience, at least for modders.

there is a dedicated audience for maps made for the original doom. they like them because they tend to be slower-paced, are weighted toward less complex monsters, and all that other stuff. there's no reason you couldn't do the same thing in doom II (and I've seen a few authors use HMP / UV for Doom / Doom II) but some people just like the episode presentation. plus you have your people that just want to relive phobos, deimos, and inferno over and over and over again.

edit: for people that like big GZDoom maps, Hobomaster22 released Pinnacle of Darkness. it's pretty fuckin cool. should be compatible with most mods. there is a script tucked away in there for spawning hardmode imps and cacodemons (dark imps / cacoliches) but i'm not savvy enough to figure out how it works. i figured it would be like one of Tormentor667's things (newgame+) but that definitely didn't happen.

glam bam rock fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 27, 2015

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm playing through the PSX total conversion and so far, it's really close to the original and I'm liking it.

What's the best way of playing Doom 64? I like the PSX and N64 Doom games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

uncleKitchener posted:

What's the best way of playing Doom 64? I like the PSX and N64 Doom games.
Doom 64 EX, easily.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Shadow Hog posted:

Doom 64 EX, easily.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Nice.

What happened to the Powerslave project, by the way? Has someone picked it up? Major shame that thing is down right now :(

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

uncleKitchener posted:

Nice.

What happened to the Powerslave project, by the way? Has someone picked it up? Major shame that thing is down right now :(

nobody knows what exactly happened outside of Kaiser taking everything down and saying that he was leaving it alone for like six months. its pretty obvious that he got some kind of cease and desist since he was knowingly distributing game data, which he avoided with doom64ex since you need the rom to build the wad. on the other hand, now that it's out there, no one can really take it back.

if anything, i am guessing that kaiser will do what he did for doom64EX - what he really should have done for powerslaveEX - and make a utility that builds the game data from an ISO or something after things have cooled down.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

Doom 64 EX, easily.

Where are you supposed to get the ROM for Doom 64 EX, anyway? I played through The Absolution and thought it was okay, mainly because it was the easiest way to do it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grimthwacker posted:

Where are you supposed to get the ROM for Doom 64 EX, anyway? I played through The Absolution and thought it was okay, mainly because it was the easiest way to do it.

Well if you want to do it the legit way, if you have an N64 and the cartridge, all you need to dump the rom is most popular version of the GameShark Pro, the one with the parallel port on the back of the cartridge, which then lets you dump the ROM to a file with the right software, namely GSCC XP.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart
Longshot, but has anyone had luck with Doom64 EX on Wine?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

reinardus vulpes posted:

Longshot, but has anyone had luck with Doom64 EX on Wine?

Just compile it for linux, grab the source from github and run the linux script in the linux folder. You'll need to make sure your system has Fluidsynth at minimum of 1.1.5. Extra instructions are in the linux readme file.

Apparently it even works on an ARM system.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

Just compile it for linux, grab the source from github and run the linux script in the linux folder. You'll need to make sure your system has Fluidsynth at minimum of 1.1.5. Extra instructions are in the linux readme file.

Apparently it even works on an ARM system.

Thanks for the tip. Sadly I'm hoping to do it on a Mac, but maybe it's doable on OS X as well.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

Nice.

if you ask the right People they Might provide

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

reinardus vulpes posted:

Thanks for the tip. Sadly I'm hoping to do it on a Mac, but maybe it's doable on OS X as well.

There's an OSX binary in the downloads list, you just use that.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

There's an OSX binary in the downloads list, you just use that.

:doh: Didn't see it from my phone. Thanks a ton.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

closeted republican posted:

Just as a heads up, the first part of a HUGE Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter mod called Serious Sam HD: Extended is out on Steam Workshop. It aims to revamp the entire TFE and TSE campaign with new enemies (including some from SS3, like the Space Monkeys), new maps, and new bosses. The classic maps have goten a visual update and have more enemies (in both types and enemy count) now. The Legend of the Beast maps are in it and have been updated so they don't suck anymore and, and most importantly, are now a part of the regular TFE campaign instead of being a seperate campaign.

The mod covers everything up to Karnak ATM. You'll need the LotB DLC in order to play.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=468808409

I haven't played it yet, but it looks great for anyone looking for some co-op fun.

Hey, this looks pretty cool. The Ultimate Enemy Pack seems to rely a ton on palette swaps, so I'm hoping this mod doesn't go too heavy with half a dozen of colors of the same Gnaar model and crap like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh... in DoomRPG/DoomRLA I just got a nuclear powered BFG. What the gently caress does this thing do other than kill me, exactly? It seems like I can't get it to fire, just overload.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, this looks pretty cool. The Ultimate Enemy Pack seems to rely a ton on palette swaps, so I'm hoping this mod doesn't go too heavy with half a dozen of colors of the same Gnaar model and crap like that.

Most of them are mix-and-matches of existing enemy behavior, so you'll see things like an Arachnoid that has a Rocket Launcher, Laser Gun, and Minigun, Zumb'uls with Revolvers instead of rocket launchers, and Beheaded guys that fire rockets that can insta-kill you if you're weak enough. It's mostly because you really can't add all-new behavior with SSHD's editor; you can only edit existing behaviors.

The recolors are because the dude that makes them is a mapper, not an artist. :P

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So uh... in DoomRPG/DoomRLA I just got a nuclear powered BFG. What the gently caress does this thing do other than kill me, exactly? It seems like I can't get it to fire, just overload.

Put a High Power assembly on it, pop an invulnerability stim, and use it to kill everything. Once.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That's actually the High Power Nuclear BFG9000 (Yes, as opposed to a regular Nuclear BFG9000) you have there, and your issue with it is that you don't have enough ammo in the clip. Perhaps if there was a type of modpack that could put the clip-size back to 40... ;)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

The episode structure. Episode replacements are a drat near perfect size for a reasonably dedicated modder, unlike a full megawad.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Keiya posted:

The episode structure. Episode replacements are a drat near perfect size for a reasonably dedicated modder, unlike a full megawad.

Always wondered - is there really no way to implement some form of episodes in Doom 2?

Hell, I guess you could do a Quake (was that Quake?) style starting map where instead of the difficulty you choose your episode. Complete one, bam, get booted back to the starting map. Any wad actually do that? Still wouldn't be an "official" menu selection, but I actually think this way is kinda cooler. :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

M.Ciaster posted:

Always wondered - is there really no way to implement some form of episodes in Doom 2?

Hell, I guess you could do a Quake (was that Quake?) style starting map where instead of the difficulty you choose your episode. Complete one, bam, get booted back to the starting map. Any wad actually do that? Still wouldn't be an "official" menu selection, but I actually think this way is kinda cooler. :v:

I vaguely recall playing a WAD that divided Doom 2 up into 3 episodes, but I can't remember what it was called :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

M.Ciaster posted:

ZDoom can handle custom episodes with ease. It's just that most mappers nowadays seem to stick to Vanilla or Boom-style, working on as many source ports as possible.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

M.Ciaster posted:

You can do something like in Valiant. There's some episode definitions for advanced ports like ZDoom or Eternity, and for everyone else it plays linearly. Unfortunately, level structure was hardcoded in Doom, so for purist ports there's pretty much nothing to do.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It also kinda sucks that secret maps are always limited to two in number and only accessible from MAP15 and MAP31. Kinda limits what you can do with the concept.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Shadow Hog posted:

It also kinda sucks that secret maps are always limited to two in number and only accessible from MAP15 and MAP31. Kinda limits what you can do with the concept.

:psyboom:

Learn something new every day.

In other random bits, rebirth has great music and a high but fair level of difficulty.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

ZDoom stuff lets you have more secret maps and have them enterable from more levels than the standard two.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, you can see this stuff used sometimes to get super-secret levels that only work in ZDoom. Paul Corfiatis used it notably in Whispers of Satan and 2002: A Doom Odyssey.

In addition, you can sometimes get a secret exit to work from MAP02 to MAP33. This has been used at least in D2TWID.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, you can see this stuff used sometimes to get super-secret levels that only work in ZDoom. Paul Corfiatis used it notably in Whispers of Satan and 2002: A Doom Odyssey.

In addition, you can sometimes get a secret exit to work from MAP02 to MAP33. This has been used at least in D2TWID.

According to that page though, you can only successfully get it if you run it with ZDoom or Eternity Engine, so it's not a feature of the original engine.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

According to that page though, you can only successfully get it if you run it with ZDoom or Eternity Engine, so it's not a feature of the original engine.

I think that's to support the extra secret level that was added in xbox doom.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Yes, but that's likely not a hardcoded feature so much as just ZDoom's MAPINFO at work.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah if you play the version of Doom 2 included in Doom 3 BFG Edition, the invisible switch in Map02 that leads to Map33 is there, but it just starts Map02 again instead. Loading that same wad into zdoom makes the switch work as intended and takes you to map33, which is hilariously awful.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
y'know I can't find any real reason to wanna mess with BFG edition after I figured out that it's an unmoddable nightmare. I don't suppose anybody's got some good recommendations for making Doom 3 more interesting? I have sikkmod and the various texture additions already (parallax is so cool holy poo poo), but what else can I shove on top of this?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Geight posted:

Yeah if you play the version of Doom 2 included in Doom 3 BFG Edition, the invisible switch in Map02 that leads to Map33 is there, but it just starts Map02 again instead. Loading that same wad into zdoom makes the switch work as intended and takes you to map33, which is hilariously awful.

Wait, what's the invisible switch, and what's map33? Unfortunately, I didn't grow up with as much Doom as everyone else and still learn new things today, which is actually kind of awesome.