Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Anyone else wanna vote for Moose for the most lethal creatures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gridlocked posted:

Anyone else wanna vote for Moose for the most lethal creatures?

It depends, are you counting moose and undead moose as the same animal?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Ugh my explosive revenge against lab turrets is bottlenecked on paper. I wish I'd seen this coming when I threw away all those wrappers and ignored all those files.

What garbage is actually useful? Here's what I've figured out so far, what am i missing?
  • plastic bottles for general storage
  • tin and aluminum cans for batteries and grenades
  • glass bottles for molotovs
  • plastic bags for various armor recipes (survivor armor owns)
  • paper wrappers for dynamite
  • cardboard boxes and plastic cups seem pretty useless

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Moose are chumps. :colbert:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

palamedes posted:

Ugh my explosive revenge against lab turrets is bottlenecked on paper. I wish I'd seen this coming when I threw away all those wrappers and ignored all those files.

What garbage is actually useful? Here's what I've figured out so far, what am i missing?
  • plastic bottles for general storage
  • tin and aluminum cans for batteries and grenades
  • glass bottles for molotovs
  • plastic bags for various armor recipes (survivor armor owns)
  • paper wrappers for dynamite
  • cardboard boxes and plastic cups seem pretty useless

Cardboard can be used as fletching, and plastic cups can be cut into plastic chunks I believe which is handy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

palamedes posted:

Surely you have some spare skill books.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Lots of other stuff can be used for fletching, but boxes have no other uses. They are only useful as fletching because they are so useless. :eng101:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I didn't see it in the OP

http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/

This is a pretty sweet item browser, now you'll know exactly what any item can be used for! It doesn't include stuff from the optional mods like vehicle addition pack and such, but it has mostly everything.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Surely you have some spare skill books.

Welp I guess that covers all my paper needs. Thanks, I guess I got discouraged when I couldn't butcher the books and never tried disassembling from inventory.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I found a plasma engine in a bank vault and I have a couple of questions.

First off, how sustainable is it? Could I feasibly use it to replace all the solar panels and electric engine in my car? I'm assuming when it says it uses hydrogen as fuel, it actually means water, and I've got plenty of that stockpiled.

Second, what other car parts would I need to use it? My brain tells me I'd need a water tank, alternator, and battery, but my brain also told me I could totally taekwondo a hulk to death.

Tyrone Biggums fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 27, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
No, hydrogen is a very rare drop found sometimes in military patrols/outposts/bunkers.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Every time I try to start in the Police Department scenario, it says it cant find a valid scenario. Is this a known bug?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
If I put a V8 into an apc, will that work out OK? I found a fairly intact one nearby and I already have the engine.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

UP AND ADAM posted:

If I put a V8 into an apc, will that work out OK? I found a fairly intact one nearby and I already have the engine.

Should be fine. V8's are rather noisy, so driving into a new area will get a bunch of attention. Also the sight lines are terrible so add windshields or somehow find/build the camera modules that let you enclose the vehicle completely.

E: APCs are diesel by default, so if the new engine uses regular you'll need to remove one or more of the fuel tanks and reinstall it as a normal gas tank to add fuel.

Sanguinaire fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 27, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Ah yeah, I noticed the fuel tanks. I've only found one other diesel vehicle so far, and it was a semi truck I employed to kill a few dozen of zombies outside of a mall.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Diogines posted:

Every time I try to start in the Police Department scenario, it says it cant find a valid scenario. Is this a known bug?
Maybe it can't find a police station to plonk you in. Are you generating a new world with each start, or trying to use the same one?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Ah yeah, I noticed the fuel tanks. I've only found one other diesel vehicle so far, and it was a semi truck I employed to kill a few dozen of zombies outside of a mall.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't diesel horribly explosive in this game?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Exploit time!

The white sections are wiring, they have 1 hp. However, they won't fall off until the military composite ram at the very end is destroyed. I can ram my vehicle through a forest at max speed and not take a scratch (Aside from collisions with the rear of the vehicle when skidding)..

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Couldn't you make it so even the back is protected by making a g shape with the ending coiled into itself for total protection? It'd make the vehicle bigger, but that's not going to matter if it won't ever fall off and still makes room for the actually important bits...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You somehow contrived to build a forcefield without modding the game. :psyduck:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

You somehow contrived to build a forcefield without modding the game. :psyduck:

He modded the game, there's a Vortex Engine in that screenshot.

e: Although maybe the wiring stuff works anyways. Also, now I'm curious, what's a blob feed?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
All that stuff is in the pre-packaged vehicle additions pack, I made a minor edit so that vortex stuff works correctly. If you don't have wiring, you could probably use handles (pipe) instead.

Blob feed is the stuff used in blob-related vehicle recipes, it's also needed to power blob engines and blob turrets.

Edit: Exploit #2!

Objects that stick out such as blades and spikes, don't count as a structure for installing things, but count as one when uninstalling things.

Galm fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 28, 2015

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Galm posted:

All that stuff is in the pre-packaged vehicle additions pack, I made a minor edit so that vortex stuff works correctly. If you don't have wiring, you could probably use handles (pipe) instead.

Blob feed is the stuff used in blob-related vehicle recipes, it's also needed to power blob engines and blob turrets.

Edit: Exploit #2!

Objects that stick out such as blades and spikes, don't count as a structure for installing things, but count as one when uninstalling things.

Jesus Christ I can't make it a week in this game and this guy is achieving vehicular invulnerability via heresies against the Machine God.

E: I also like that the core of your vehicle looks a lot like a DF wagon.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Galm posted:

Exploit time!

The white sections are wiring, they have 1 hp. However, they won't fall off until the military composite ram at the very end is destroyed. I can ram my vehicle through a forest at max speed and not take a scratch (Aside from collisions with the rear of the vehicle when skidding)..

Tried this on one of my test characters and it seems to work pretty well, might try it out on one of my legit characters. Please do not tell the cataclysm forums that this exists because they'll probably try to remove it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

palamedes posted:

Welp I guess that covers all my paper needs. Thanks, I guess I got discouraged when I couldn't butcher the books and never tried disassembling from inventory.

Cataclysm: I got discouraged when I couldn't butcher the books

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The fact they have a disassemble command alongside a butcher command is sort of senseless anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

They do different things in a bunch of cases, usually in that disassembling takes longer and potentially uses up charges from your repair tools in exchange for a better yield.

You're not wrong, though.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The fact they have a disassemble command alongside a butcher command is sort of senseless anyways.

How does that whole deal work, anyway? I mean, sometimes when I use the butcher menu I also get a Disassemble option on the stuff that can be disassembled. Sometimes I gotta choose that option from the inventory. I don't think you can cut everything up using the menu either, gotta manually use the knife sometimes (I'm like 99% sure I had to do that for gallon jugs/plastic bottles - unless it was fixed in a newer version?)

Man this game is super inconsistent sometimes, interface and interaction wise.

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 28, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

^ There are two things you can do with items, Disassemble and Cut Up.

Disassemble is slow and requires tools, depending on what you're disassembling. It defaults to being the exact opposite of crafting - requiring the same tools and time as it would take to make the item, and returning the materials needed to make it.

Cut Up is fast, requires any kind of blade, and returns only the base material the item is made from (leather, plastic, etc).

Using (B) on items on the ground is context sensitive. If you're capable of doing both then the butcher menu will give seperate options for cutting up and disassembling, if only one thing is possible then you'll do that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hahaa, adrenaline injectors.

They give you a massive stimulant overdose, which gives you something like +9 intelligence and a shitload of speed, and also an overriding Adrenaline Boost status which has a massive intelligence penalty. The adrenaline boost wears off first though and the stimulants take ages to come out of your system, so if you've got loads of hi-tech stuff to do or CBMs to install, you can jab yourself with adrenaline, wait for it to wear off, and once you "feel awful" you can perform superhuman feats of intelligence.

:q:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Just started trying to figure this game out. I just got a deep wound, and the house I'm ransacking has cocaine. Now, the description of cocaine says that it can be used as a topical analgesic... is it actually possible to use it in this manner, or is snorting the only thing you'll do with it?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You do realize that analgesic means pain reliever? It won't do anything for your deep wound.

And I think you can only snort it, but I haven't tried to do anything else with it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Iunnrais posted:

Just started trying to figure this game out. I just got a deep wound, and the house I'm ransacking has cocaine. Now, the description of cocaine says that it can be used as a topical analgesic... is it actually possible to use it in this manner, or is snorting the only thing you'll do with it?

Nope. The most likely thing to find in a house that can stop the infection killing you is a knife - activate it to cauterize the wound. Be aware doing that causes a shitload of pain, like "no fighting for the rest of the day for you" levels of pain.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I have never outright needed to cauterize a bite. Bottles of disinfectant are not difficult to come across, and even failing that, first aid kits also work just fine.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Once I get my First Aid skill up and scrounge a good stockpile of materials, I don't even carry or hoard disinfectant anymore. It all goes into making a huge pile of First Aid kits, and I carry maybe half a dozen of them and half a dozen bandages around, replenishing as needed.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I love how the actual challenge of clearing a hospital is the fight against the clock. In every one I've been to the zombies have bashed enough walls to collapse the building in one area and are about to do it again. When I finally die in a hospital, it will be because some genius zombie dropped the roof on me.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

President Ark posted:

Nope. The most likely thing to find in a house that can stop the infection killing you is a knife - activate it to cauterize the wound. Be aware doing that causes a shitload of pain, like "no fighting for the rest of the day for you" levels of pain.

Tramadol or at least codeine should be enough for cauterization pain if you can find some on a zombie corpse. Think I might have even found some in a house once but I've no idea how hard that is to get from a bathroom spawn, probably not worth it compared to just looking for a medkit/disinfectant.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Real survivors just deck a few asprin and walk it off...

Worth noting that cauterisation doesn't have a 100% success rate, so you might have to try a few times before it's cleaned out.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hence why codeine is good, you're not walking off 70 pain with just aspirin unless you're serving yourself up to the zombie buffet line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

On the stats screen, I noticed that if you press enter over a skill, it changes color. Help screen says this "toggles skill training"; does this mean that it's turned off, or that you become more focused in that skill?