Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
While not as old, two more coins to add:

1897 Mexican 8 Reales

1696 British King William III Crown

[edit] Two more to add instead of a new reply:

That black holder is awesome.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Very cool stuff guys!

1938 Wheatie found in my change.

Another NGC MS 63 Morgan. This time an 1896.

And a 1968 Jefferson Nickel Proof that is for sale, PM me if interested.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just got another NGC MS 63 Morgan and the official NGC slab storage box so I can fill it up. 4 down, 16 to go.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Some more silver in, and more on the way:

Picked up four SBSS Slave Queen rounds.

Mintage of 5000 on the Lighthouse.

[edit] Bonus macro A, bonus macro B.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 15, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DominusDeus posted:

Some more silver in, and more on the way:

A striking coin. I'd buy some of those for comedy.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Newest pickup.

Oh! I have one of those too, it is in a near mint condition. Some guy used it to buy beer and I bought it off the clerk for five bucks after he left. There was another time when I was in a Walmart and they were setting up their cash drawers and and i watched the girl crack open a roll of quarters and I noticed how it sounded different, I asked to buy all her quarters, her manager came over to approve it, and score! Ten bucks of various circulated pre 1964 quarters!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

That's nuts. The luckiest I ever get is the random Wheatie or the even more rare silver Roosie.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
So... some more silver.

Australian Funnel-Web Spider

Chinese Panda

Armenian Noah's Ark

Fiji Taku

plz halp.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Very nice stack you got going on.

Newest pickup.

Progress.

Another Wheatie found in my friend's car.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
I found what appears to be an error coin in my change today

I didn't know Connecticut existed in 9 AD.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Planeshifter2 posted:

I found what appears to be an error coin in my change today

I didn't know Connecticut existed in 9 AD.

That looks like a grease filled die error. I don't know if they're worth much, but I imagine that's one of the cooler ones.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
My three most recent pickups (I have a fourth, forgot to photograph it...):

King Edward I Penny (Long Cross) 1279-1307 London Mint
Obverse: EDW R ANGL DNS HYB (Edward King of England Lord of Ireland)
Reverse: CIVITAS LONDON (City of London)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/5wdEK1ym.jpg][/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/6uTF2icm.jpg][/img]
1671 Half Crown, King Charles II

1857 (mdccclvii) Florin, Queen Victoria, Gothic style

[edit to add the one I forgot to photograph:]

Mintage: 2697/8500

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 12, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Anyone want this circulated 2009 $10 star note before I toss it on eBay?

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Speaking of paper money, picked this up:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/N4Ai7VKl.jpg[/img]

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone want this circulated 2009 $10 star note before I toss it on eBay?

I'll give you :10bux: for it.

Seriously, though, are collectors that hardcore that you can expect to not lose money on it after ebay fees and buying a stamp?

Actually, don't answer that, I still have some tiny amount of faith in humanity.

For the laymen reading this: a star after the serial number means the Fed reused the number to replace a bill that failed QC. It adds about as much to the value as the star on a Tootsie Pop wrapper.

Edit: back when I was a cashier at a grocery store, I'd trade my pocket change for the occasional pre-1964 quarter or dime, and once I got a 1957 silver certificate paper dollar. Pretty sure my VG '57 folding silver dollar is worth more than your well-worn '09 "let's try this again" $10 note.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 27, 2015

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Average circulation silver certs go for about $1.50-3.00 each.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Neat. It looks like new, but with a wallet crease, so I guess maybe $2.00. So not worth more than Super Aggro Crag's $10 bill, but probably better as a percentage over face value.

Or are * notes super-collectible, and I've been throwing money away spending them over the years?

So as not to be a total jerk, I promise next time I'm at my parent's house, I'll get my dad to bring out his collection so I can photograph it for y'all. A bunch of investment-type silver ounces from back when silver was going up in the early '80s, and a bunch of random weird stuff like silver certificate Federal Reserve notes and various foreign money he's collected over the years.

Speaking of foreign money, are any of you into old British coins? I need a shilling with George V on it to go with my 1915 Webley and 1916 SMLE, but I don't want to get suckered buying an obsolete British nickel on eBay*.

*at the time a shilling was about equal in value to an American quarter, but in dimensions and 1/20th proportion of the main unit, it was closer to a nickel.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Star notes can be worth quite a bit. It really depends on the condition of the bill, what district the note is from, how many were made for that district. A bunch of variables, really. I keep them simply because you don't see them often.

And your silver cert still could be worth a lot more than that star note $10, especially if it's a 1934 one, is a star note, or a 1935-A yellow seal.

As for British coins... I'm working on a Monarchs type set.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Well I know people collect them so I figured I'd offer it up. Ended up spendinv it because I've grown sick of eBay.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Would've accepted it, but I already have a $10 star note, albeit of the previous design.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Bought this artificially toned Franklin Half Dollar on a whim last week off eBay. No clue what to do with it. I wanted to have it made into a ring but was told the heat used during the process with destroy the rainbow coloring.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Money clip, maybe?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Eh, I already have a nice wallet and I don't usually carry much cash on me anyways. Maybe I'll just throw it in an air-tite and it can be my new pocket peace.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
How about making it into a ring, then re-artificially toning it (probably in the oven)?

Some new silver, and my 4th piece of gold:

Up to 0.7955 troy ounces of gold, 0.2045 ounces to go. Thinking of splitting it between two more coins, possibly a Hungary 10 Korona and a Germany, Prussia 10 Mark. That would give me 1.0087 troy ounces. Just a matter of finding those two coins for as close to spot as I can.

[edit] Probably go with a 1/10 Krugerrand and an Austria 1 Ducat. Those seem to be the cheapest and would give me a total of 1.0061 troy ounce.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 4, 2015

Benf199105
Apr 10, 2010
Love some of the stuff on show, any goons with a recommendation on the best containers to store coins in?

I've inherited a small collection, probably about 100-200 assorted coins, some in awful condition (aka plates of metal) and some in good condition, so I wanted to store them.

What holders are you guys displaying your coins in /who produces them? I'm reticent to just buy a no name book off Amazon that might damage the coins any further.

(UK Goon if it makes a difference)

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Air-Tites, Kointains, Saflips.

Some new purchases;
some silver:

1 troy ounce poured bar

Provident Metals' second Privateer 2 ounce round

Goooooold. Birth year (pure luck) South African tenth ounce Krugerrand.

Benf199105
Apr 10, 2010

DominusDeus posted:

Air-Tites, Kointains, Saflips.

Some new purchases;
some silver:

1 troy ounce poured bar

Provident Metals' second Privateer 2 ounce round

Goooooold. Birth year (pure luck) South African tenth ounce Krugerrand.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at some of those sites.

In the mean time, I hit up a tiny little numismatics shop/museum run by an eccentric old guy in my town and he sold a bunch of coin holder wallet sheets for now, just so I can get the coins I inherited out of this lovely plastic tub they are all sat in. One of the cooler coins he had was a coin from Alexander the Great, think it was about 320BC (i'm bad at dates), most of the stuff was run of the mill, but hopefully he has some secret collection I will find one day.

In my first real dig into the box of coins I was left, I found 2 1964 Kennedy Halfs which I've heard are somewhat collectible/worth a couple of bucks, but they're both in poor/terrible condition, but hey, thats my first cool find in my new hobby.

I apologies for not have a beautifully polished / UNC coin to show, I will do at some point I hope!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DominusDeus posted:

King Edward I Penny (Long Cross) 1279-1307 London Mint
Obverse: EDW R ANGL DNS HYB (Edward King of England Lord of Ireland)
Reverse: CIVITAS LONDON (City of London)

This is really freakin' cool. I love these super old coins.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

ColdPie posted:

This is really freakin' cool. I love these super old coins.

Thanks. I got these two Henry III cut pennies from Xenopus:

Have added these to my stuff since last post:

1935-A $1 Silver Certificate, North African emergency issue.
Taste the rainbow:

A few bits of silver:

1958 Canadian "Death" Dollar

2015 Rwanda, "African Ounce" Cape Buffalo, 50 Francs

Rand Paul silver round (I liked the reverse design...)

Satosan Metals "Asahi" silver round.
And a new piece of gold:

1915 Austria 1 Ducat (re-strike).
Giving me my first troy ounce, weighing in at 1.0062 troy ounces:

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

I bought a few coins from Xenopus and that sent me down a very deep and very dark hole. Here are some of the things I've acquired since then (sorry for the lovely phone pictures, I'm still figuring out the best way to photograph coins).

A silver tetradrachm of Lysimachos, from about 296 to 282 BC. The obverse is a deified Alexander the Great with horns of Ammon, and the reverse shows Athena along with the inscription "Basileus Lysimachos" (King Lysimachos). Lysimachos was one of Alexander the Great's bodyguards who became king of Thrace after Alexander died. The thing underlining his name is apparently a penis.

A silver denarius from Mark Antony's military mint, struck in 32 BC, just months before his war with Octavian. The obverse is a galley with banners, and the reverse is an aquila (a legion eagle) surrounded by legion standards. The inscription on the reverse is LEG V, for the Fifth Legion, and the obverse is a long series of abbreviations that read, "Antony the Augur, of the Triumvirate for the Restoration of the Republic." Antony, the Triumvirate, and the Republic would all be dead within a couple of years.

A bronze follis of Justinian the Great, struck in 546 or 547 AD. The obverse is the man himself carrying an orb topped with a cross, wearing armor, and holding a shield decorated with a man on horseback. The inscription reads "Our Lord Justinianus, Father of his Country, Emperor" and the reverse reads ANNO XX (twentieth year of his reign) KVZ (struck in Cyzicus) M (worth 40 nummus).

Sesquiculus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 14, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Love the pictures, keep 'em coming. I wish pre-1933 US gold didn't have such a high premium.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Got a few more ancients in this week:

My most expensive coin purchase to date, a silver tetradrachm of Athens struck around 454-404 BC. Athena on the obverse and an owl, olive branch, and crescent moon on the reverse. The inscription on the reverse is Alpha Theta Epsilon – the first three letters of “Athens.”

A Roman Republic denarius, struck in 42 BC. The reverse depicts the shrine of the great goddess of the sewers, Venus Cloacina, with an inscription of the name of the moneyer Lucius Mussidius Longus. The obverse is the goddess Concordia.

A massive bronze drachm of Ptolemy III - grandson of Ptolemy Soter, one of Alexander the Great’s generals, and Great-great-great-great grandfather to Cleopatra. Struck in 246 to 222 BC. Zeus Ammon on the obverse and an eagle on the reverse, with a chi-rho monogram between the eagle’s legs. The inscription is ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ, "Of the King Ptolemy." Seriously the thing is like the size and thickness of an Oreo.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

And a couple not as ancient:

A silver ducat of Mircea the Elder, voivode of Wallachia, 1386-1418 AD. Mircea had a son named Vlad Dracul (the Dragon), and a grandson named Vlad Tepes, better known as Dracula (Son of the Dragon). The obverse is a coat of arms and the reverse is an eagle standing on a helmet.

A silver Ichibu Gin of the Ansei Era, about 1859-1868 AD. Tokugawa shogunate.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Sesquiculus posted:

My most expensive coin purchase to date, a silver tetradrachm of Athens struck around 454-404 BC. Athena on the obverse and an owl, olive branch, and crescent moon on the reverse. The inscription on the reverse is Alpha Theta Epsilon – the first three letters of “Athens.”

A silver Ichibu Gin of the Ansei Era, about 1859-1868 AD. Tokugawa shogunate.

[heavy breathing]

Had this for a few years, but never took a photo of it:

And just got this in:

Mintage limit of 5000, mine is numbered 0053

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 19, 2015

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Some more things, and more things still on the way:

A few bits of 1956.

2 ounce Cleopatra.

1 ounce Freedom girl

1 ounce .45 ACP silver bullet

1 ounce 2016 Australian Kangaroo

That microstamp security feature, tho...

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

DominusDeus posted:

That microstamp security feature, tho...

That's pretty cool. How did you manage to get a picture of that?

I got in quite a few new denarii. New to my collection, anyway:

A pretty standard Republic silver denarius - this one was struck by Spurius Afranius in about 150 BC. I like this one mostly for the detail on the horses and the ROMA in the exergue.

A silver denarius from the military mint of Lucius Cornelius Sulla, struck during his civil war with Gaius Marius around 82 BC. I bought it mostly for the SVLLA in the exergue because Sulla is awesome.

A silver denarius of Emperor Titus, struck in 80 AD. The reverse is a thunderbolt on a draped throne or altar - it's one of the "supplicatio" reverses that was struck after the Vesuvius eruption.

And one Greek coin:

A silver hemidrachm from Akragas, Sicily, struck in about 410 BC. The obverse is an eagle eating a hare, and the reverse is a crab with a sea serpent below.

Finally, a friend found these two in his garage of all places:

A Third Reich silver 5 reichsmark coin from 1936 AD.

An Australian silver florin from 1943 AD.

Sesquiculus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 10, 2015

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Sesquiculus posted:

That's pretty cool. How did you manage to get a picture of that?
All my photos (except currency) are done with my 85mm macro lens. For the microstamp image, I attached this macro extension tube set to the lens.

Sesquiculus posted:

And one Greek coin:

A silver hemidrachm from Akragas, Sicily, struck in about 410 BC. The obverse is an eagle eating a hare, and the reverse is a crab with a sea serpent below.

I need dis. Plus that piece of Japanese silver. Can probably afford neither.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

DominusDeus posted:

I need dis. Plus that piece of Japanese silver. Can probably afford neither.

They didn't set me back as much as you might think - I picked up the hemidrachm for $170 and the ichibu for $35. I was particularly happy with the hemidrachm because every other example I could find went for double that or more.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Sesquiculus posted:

They didn't set me back as much as you might think - I picked up the hemidrachm for $170 and the ichibu for $35. I was particularly happy with the hemidrachm because every other example I could find went for double that or more.

Well, that's not too bad, then, especially the Japanese piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Hooray! More things.

2013, 20th Anniversary Canadian Maple Leaf

"The Saint" Zombuck, final design.

American Landmarks 2oz round, Liberty Island

2oz Silver Bullet, .308 (7.62×51mm NATO)
1oz silver bullet, .45 ACP