Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

You double-posted the corruption effect screen, was there supposed to be something else there?

And yeah, there are other plant monsters, shambling mounds/masses(?) for example.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Wait, 10 is the human baseline for stats, right? When your flesh was continuously spouting diseased maggots you still had Appearance 12. What the hell. (And why does being light hurt Appearance more than the maggots?!)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pierzak posted:

You double-posted the corruption effect screen, was there supposed to be something else there?

And yeah, there are other plant monsters, shambling mounds/masses(?) for example.

Whoops, I should probably actually look at the pics when I proofread. Nah I don't think there was supposed to be anything else, the text for both is talking about the mutation.

pumpinglemma posted:

Wait, 10 is the human baseline for stats, right? When your flesh was continuously spouting diseased maggots you still had Appearance 12. What the hell. (And why does being light hurt Appearance more than the maggots?!)

This is a game where a large ration weighs the same as five long swords. Who knows.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Wafflecopper posted:

Whoops, I should probably actually look at the pics when I proofread. Nah I don't think there was supposed to be anything else, the text for both is talking about the mutation.

This is a game where a large ration weighs the same as five long swords. Who knows.

A longsword might weigh 2 1/2 pounds. Considering the timescale and the fact that it seems potable water is assumed in the ration (otherwise the "starve" time is ridiculously short) 10 lbs of assorted non-compact foods and water seems reasonable for a day's worth of food, especially since the encumbrance units also likely pull double duty for volume.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just out of curiosity, what's your playtime on this character?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

This is currently my favorite LP.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Pvt.Scott posted:

A longsword might weigh 2 1/2 pounds. Considering the timescale and the fact that it seems potable water is assumed in the ration (otherwise the "starve" time is ridiculously short) 10 lbs of assorted non-compact foods and water seems reasonable for a day's worth of food, especially since the encumbrance units also likely pull double duty for volume.

I've always liked how Dungeon Crawl, back when it had item weights, just went with the aum unit - "arbitrary unit of mass". :v:

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Everything in ADOM is weighed in stones even though it makes literally no sense at all. 2,800 pound rations. Yum!

Although apparently in the FAQ Biskup says that one ADOM stone is equal to "0.13396134411454230767169825475160887574281565311513 pounds". Biiiskup!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

5. Cast spells, melt bears.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's your playtime on this character?

At this point, I have no idea. I spend about 2-3 hours on each update but that's including uploading screenshots and writing up the text as I go, and proofreading.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an interesting spell. It's just a reroll but that's really good in this game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Even spells that fluffwise are impenetrable shields just give you more cards or bump values up or down. None of them get really good until you buy edges that let you bump numbered cards up to face cards.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Isn't a "stone" in ADoM the weight of one of the stones that you can pick up off the ground and throw? I'll have to check now.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Nah rocks are 5s

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Nah rocks are 5s

Haha, perfect.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Roguelike Megathread: Stones weigh 5 stones each

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Everything in ADOM is weighed in stones even though it makes literally no sense at all. 2,800 pound rations. Yum!

Although apparently in the FAQ Biskup says that one ADOM stone is equal to "0.13396134411454230767169825475160887574281565311513 pounds". Biiiskup!

The number he actually gave on usenet way, /way/ back when was 60 grams IIRC, which is close to that but not quite (it's 0.132277 pounds, but he's in Europe and thus metric).

Either way it's basically arbitrary.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Roguelike Megathread: Stones weigh 5 stones each

Inflation is a bitch in adventurer dominated markets.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It's a rock, not a stone.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Pierzak posted:

It's a rock, not a stone.

What's the difference?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Steelpudding posted:

What's the difference?
Weight, duh.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Steelpudding posted:

What's the difference?

One is smaller and lighter? He is correct though. The throwing weapons are rocks, which weigh five stones. I'm still a huge fan of AUM.

E: I don't even know if ADoM has a stone as an actual item.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 29, 2015

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Part 03

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Steelpudding posted:

What's the difference?

4 stones.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

:v:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Bought this a couple days ago when it was half off on the summer sale, and just like puzzle quest and similar games with luck based nonsense, this loving game makes me hate it so much sometimes.

He did a little over 100 damage to me. He could barely fight back once my missile launcher took out his other systems and he spent his turns repairing. Felt like a proper badass. Then...

Final Boss for Ironcast Spoilers

This motherfucker on the the other hand kills me in about three turns with me at 52% evade because lolnope.

No matter how well off i get to the 2nd one i still die in a few rounds. I don't like how totally luck based he is since I had Mark V shields, drives, Mark IVR Pulse and Mark V lance that cost 2 ammo to shoot (due to an aug). Even sitting at 54% evade or some such I still got killed off. This is after easily killing 4 ironcasts in a survival mission, so that last one is totally 100% luck.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

:xcom:

Seriously, seeing that reminded me of old school Chryssalids running from out of vision into melee range of three guys (through reaction fire) and instantly destroying them (and turning them into zombies).

...please tell me that the actual vampires in this game do this.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Sadly(?), they don't. Maybe the head vampire does it, but I haven't fought him yet. This is by far the worst run I've had (except when I tried out the game for the first time and died on the first screen). I can usually beat 2 or 3 bosses fairly easily - then I get cocky and everything explodes.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Haha, Amazing.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

This is glorious.

You should probably sacrifice something to the RNGod to ward off its displeasure.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

A cyclops would be nice, but I'll probably die before I even reach the castle.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Myron posted:

A cyclops would be nice, but I'll probably die before I even reach the castle.

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks. I'd never even heard of this game, and now it's on my radar.

Course, now I have to decide if I should buy it full price, or wait for a sale.

:sigh:

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 29, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't let the strange man in the furs bother you! Welcome to the UnReal World!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I haven't played UrW since it went free, glad to see it being LPed. Letting you reduce skills is a good change, but on the other hand you cannot milk bulls anymore, so the game is horrible now.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

The last time I wanted to play UrW it had some ridiculously complicated pricing model. I didn't even end up playing the free/demo version because of those stupid LARP pictures. The game itself seems pretty interesting though.

Part 04

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not gonna lie, I thought the guy on the left was a rabid koala. Which wouldn't be out of place in a roguelike at all.
To be fair Finland is a great choice for an RPG setting because you don't have to make up your own absurd fantasy names and no one will ever catch you if you make a typo.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yesss, that's what this thread was missing.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
I haven't touched URW since a random Njerp just lunged a scimitar through my pimped out, one year old, well rested character's eyeball, killing her instantly. I didn't have to fight him but this is are country darnit!

By the way, I can't recommend a modded tileset highly enough: http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=6017 Makes the game actually nice looking. The original portraits are sacrosanct though. :colbert:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Kuntz posted:

I haven't touched URW since a random Njerp just lunged a scimitar through my pimped out, one year old, well rested character's eyeball, killing her instantly. I didn't have to fight him but this is are country darnit!

By the way, I can't recommend a modded tileset highly enough: http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=6017 Makes the game actually nice looking. The original portraits are sacrosanct though. :colbert:

I dunno if you should really expect a one year old to be able to kill a seasoned warrior in iron age weapons and armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

This is ridiculously minor to bug me, but you keep calling vampire thralls as vampires. Vampire thralls are humans under the spell of vampires and are used and blood bags. Think servants and or walking bottles of bloodwiser for real vampires to snack on when they get thirsty.

• Locked thread