Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/holy-poo poo-bob-costas-1714328813

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lmao, goddamn man, that's a bridge too far

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

holy poo poo :lol:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
that's loving savage and ive been laughing for the last five minutes

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

drat Bob! Did he spit on your mama or something?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Like we all haven't said worse at the TV.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Only way Bob could have brutalized him more is if he told him to cole him on the panny sty

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Yeah Bob might be taking a little paid vacation for that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yeah Bob might be taking a little paid vacation for that.
No he should not dammit. That was loving incredible. Especially considering it came out of the mouth of Bob Costas.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Crazy Ted posted:

No he should not dammit. That was loving incredible. Especially considering it came out of the mouth of Bob Costas.

Not saying he should and I completely agree.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Crazy Ted posted:

It would have been better had Strop actually been atrocious. Give up 6 runs over 1/3 of an inning? Sure, go to town. Give up 1 run and say that? Then you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

It would have been better had Strop actually been atrocious. Give up 6 runs over 1/3 of an inning? Sure, go to town. Give up 1 run and say that? Then you're just an rear end in a top hat.
That's what made it all that much more hilarious: it came out of nowhere.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nothing will ever beat Costas calling the St. Louis Spirits 4th quarter collapse "a blow job"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nothing will ever beat Costas calling the St. Louis Spirits 4th quarter collapse "a blow job"

What about that time Madden said something about "pounding the A hole" a few times until he remember to say "A gap" instead.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

What about that time Madden said something about "pounding the A hole" a few times until he remember to say "A gap" instead.
Or every single time Lou Holtz said the words "break contain" but because of his speech impediment it sounded like he said the runner would "break a taint".

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Nothing beats Steve Stone saying that Dennis Eckersley hardly ever blows anyone when discussing how Dennis Eckersley hardly ever blows a save.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Costas only, I meant

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I loving miss Madden and Summerall :smith:.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Nothing beats Steve Stone saying that Dennis Eckersley hardly ever blows anyone when discussing how Dennis Eckersley hardly ever blows a save.

I would give just about any of my worldly possessions to be a kid and have one more season of Cubs baseball broadcast by Harry Caray and Steve Stone with almost every game back on WGN.

But with the current roster, not some of the suck-rear end teams I watched as a kid.

Ah, memories. :unsmith:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

I loving miss Madden and Summerall :smith:.

Who doesn't? I'd watch every single NFL game if Madden called them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Summerall was even more boring and emotionless than Joe Buck, but no one noticed because he was paired with Madden. I never remember him getting even remotely excited about anything that happened in front of him. He sounded like he was calling loving golf (which he actually did!). If internet sports criticism had been a thing back then and he'd been paired with someone as bland as Troy Aikman and he'd get a lot of the same criticism Buck does now. There is a lot of nostalgia clouding people's memory of him.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
it was cool when he called tony temple having the greatest game in cotton bowl history

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Pairings are important, though. Michael Kay is almost tolerable when Singleton and/or Cone are around and completely trash garbage awful otherwise. Part of why Buck is so bad with baseball is he gets paired with people who flat out loving suck.

e: You can see this in the ESPN sunday night baseball booth too, with how Kruk transforms everyone into awful and Kruk+Schilling somehow makes that even worse

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

it was cool when he called tony temple having the greatest game in cotton bowl history

Tony Temple bought me beer one time so he is rad as heck but man it was so sad when they'd dig up Summeral once a year to do that game way after he had retired and was way too old to be on TV

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Tony Temple bought me beer one time so he is rad as heck but man it was so sad when they'd dig up Summeral once a year to do that game way after he had retired and was way too old to be on TV

I was catching up on this thread and thought exactly this when Summeral's name came up. He flubbed names left and right and was audibly confused at points during the games. :smith:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pat Summerall was at least endearingly bad and had a great voice. Joe Buck comes across like a total dickhead.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Summerall was even more boring and emotionless than Joe Buck, but no one noticed because he was paired with Madden. I never remember him getting even remotely excited about anything that happened in front of him. He sounded like he was calling loving golf (which he actually did!). If internet sports criticism had been a thing back then and he'd been paired with someone as bland as Troy Aikman and he'd get a lot of the same criticism Buck does now. There is a lot of nostalgia clouding people's memory of him.

Summerall was either really drunk or really hungover.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Dango Bango posted:

I was catching up on this thread and thought exactly this when Summeral's name came up. He flubbed names left and right and was audibly confused at points during the games. :smith:

That's old guy Summerall, though. I get that sometimes it's time to move on, but Joe Buck was born monotone. Summerall started broadcasting in 1962, was paired up with Madden before I was born, and was inducted into the broadcaster HoF before FOX won out the rights to broadcast football. He was pretty good for a pretty long time.

He was a recovered alcoholic, that's true.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

AsInHowe posted:

Summerall was either really drunk or really hungover.

Pat Summerall was a legendary drunk who underwent a liver transplant about ten years before he died.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ESPN not happy with Olbermann taking shots at the NFL I guess.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/espn-wants-keith-olbermann-quit-806220

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

B-b-b-b-but Bill Simmons wasn't fired for taking shots at the NFL!!!!!!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

I will always love Summerall, if only for the way he said "Oh no, there's a man down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK2oyQXwhbQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm sure those talks will end well....

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I spent more time than I care to think about as a teenager listening to video game Madden and Summerall talk in hushed, digital tones about Urlacher sacking the poo poo out of Madden Favre.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

leokitty posted:

Pairings are important, though. Michael Kay is almost tolerable when Singleton and/or Cone are around and completely trash garbage awful otherwise. Part of why Buck is so bad with baseball is he gets paired with people who flat out loving suck.

e: You can see this in the ESPN sunday night baseball booth too, with how Kruk transforms everyone into awful and Kruk+Schilling somehow makes that even worse

Exactly. Summerall's blandness worked well with Madden's bluster. You need a balance and their's worked because you could tell they liked each other and they liked the game and what they were doing. Combining bland with bland kills the emotion of the game, and if you put two guys together who get too excited it runs the risk of turning into a parody of itself. Imagine Gus and Vitale together and not cringe. But when you get the right balance and chemistry it's great.

Summerall and Madden are one of the best sportscasting duos, with Patrick/Olbermann, Verne/Raft, and Gorilla/Heenan.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
summerall was great because his voice was like a beautiful rusty trumpet

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

summerall was great because his voice was like a beautiful rusty trumpet
better that than a beautifully rusty trombone

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

leokitty posted:

Jon Miller made Joe Morgan somewhat tolerable.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BasicFunk posted:

Jon Miller made Joe Morgan somewhat tolerable.

not cosistently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Joe Morgan single handedly drove me away from watching baseball on ESPN. I appreciate it though because it meant I started watching more soccer.