Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

There, that's basically everything you need to know about Mischief Makers. Buy a copy and let Scruffy and I take you on a tour while you wait for it to arrive.

SHAKE SHAKE!

Yep.

SHAKE SHAKE!

No, it is.

SHAKE SHAKE?

I will indeed!

SHAKE SHAKE?

Hopefully once a week.

SHAKE SHAKE!

01. Makin' Mischief
02. Startin' Shenanigans
03. Causin' Chaos
04. Raisin' Ruckus
05. Doin' Damage
06. Sufferin' Setbacks
07. Rousin' Rebellion
08. Topplin' Tyrants
S1. Scorin' S-Ranks
S2. Perfectin' Platforming
S3. Ignorin' Intentions
S4. Movin' Masterfully
S5. Endin' Everything

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Shake Shake indeed.

While they have the evil empire down you seem to be leaning more towards chaotic neutral.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Back when I was... eight, maybe? I went over to a friend's house and watched him play this game. Every couple of years since then I've tried to find out what it was so I could check it out, but I could never find it.

So thanks for solving this mystery for me!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hell yes. The last LP of this is ancient, it'll be great to have a new one with fancy non-240p resolution.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Goodness, I forgot this game even existed. This was a rental for me back when you could do such a thing, and I thought it was charming but apparently unmemorable. Can't wait to see the value I missed.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I have never heard of this, but I never had an N64 anyway. I'm looking forward to whatever this turns out to be, because after watching the first video I am still not entirely sure what to expect.

I like our racist protagonist though, her face is so aggressively anime in a really 90s way that brings back memories.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

MrAptronym posted:

I am still not entirely sure what to expect.

Expect grabbing, expect shaking, expect throwing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really dislike this LPs glorification of thr Clan and Clancer.

Geop, shut this thread down

azren
Feb 14, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

Geop, shut this thread down

He can't; he's recovering from getting blown up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
As a kid I rented this game because it looked like fun. It was very fun. It was also very treasure, to this day I've never fully beaten this game because it's hard as hell. Glad to see an LP of it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I remember being fascinated with this game as a kid. I don't remember it being so goddamn anime, though. I mean, it was goddamn anime as hell, but somehow I managed to put that out of my mind.

It's kind of painful to look at.

edit: Those bowling-ball faces and glowing red eyes on everything is kind of nightmarish :gonk:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 8, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You going for every torturous grade?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This is going to be awesome. I'm so happy. :3:

ShakeShake!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

S-rank all the stages or surrender your mad props immediately. Yes, even the ones the developers couldn't figure out. I've seen bits and pieces of the game before, enough to know it's not 'hard' but it IS a goddamn nightmare for people obsessed with a 'perfect' record. Glad it's getting a second LP to take advantage of the improvements in recording. Best of luck!

You will need it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Rangpur posted:

surrender your mad props immediately.

Okay.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 14, 2015

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Rangpur posted:

I've seen bits and pieces of the game before, enough to know it's not 'hard' but it IS a goddamn nightmare for people obsessed with a 'perfect' record.

My left hand still sympathetically aches in memory of getting the Gold Gem in The Olympics. I did eventually get every Gold Gem.

I never S-Ranked everything because gently caress that noise.

Our LPer is going to have to do that, though. Right? :colbert:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I have so many fond memories of this game. If it weren't for Majora's Mask, I'd say this is the best game on the N64. I'll be watching this!

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Love this game. Already love this LP. Was never good enough to get very far in it though, so it'll be cool to watch an LP of it that isn't in like 240p.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've never heard of this game until now but I eagerly await for Marina to murder everyone.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
I had never heard of this game before I saw it at the last AGDQ. Looking forward to seeing you guys show it off.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This is the only good game on the N64

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I'd have posted this several days ago but I'd forgotten the aspect ratio was different on the footage from this part and had to re-encode.

Part 02: Startin' Shenanigans

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Putting "yt:stretch=4:3" without the quotation marks in the video tags will put the video in full screen aspect ratio.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fiendly posted:

Putting "yt:stretch=4:3" without the quotation marks in the video tags will put the video in full screen aspect ratio.

Thanks.

Part 03: Causin' Chaos

Anyone who hasn't seen/played Mischief Makers want to guest with Scruffy and I on an upcoming video? I've got two videos I can put a third-person on.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You should be nicer to Scruffy. He can't help it that he is all shook up.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Huh. That Migen Jr. sure has a lot of ego, what with all the statues.

No wonder he thinks he can just chew up his professor and get away with it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I knew it could only be one game from the title, and I was right. :allears:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Rangpur posted:

S-rank all the stages or surrender your mad props immediately.

Actually, they're angry props. They really don't like being called mad, General Specific.

Little supplemental video while I sort out some stuff for the upcoming parts.

S1: Scorin' S-Ranks

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

frozentreasure posted:

Actually, they're angry props. They really don't like being called mad, General Specific.

Little supplemental video while I sort out some stuff for the upcoming parts.

S1: Scorin' S-Ranks

From what I gather you speed run this game did that influence actually doing a lp of this game? Also if you didn't speed run this game how hard would getting S ranks normally be?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Hrvstmn31 posted:

From what I gather you speed run this game did that influence actually doing a lp of this game? Also if you didn't speed run this game how hard would getting S ranks normally be?
Considering he was just around a second faster than the S-Rank time in most levels, I think speed-running is the normal way to get S ranks...

What are the Japanese names of Teran and Ceres(sp?) ? Because they sure do sound like a Final Fantasy 6 reference to me!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
This game is unusual in that the times for S ranks a basically impossible without speed runs style tricks on most levels. I think the developers said on release that they were not sure if getting S rank on every level was even possible.

This game and Blast Corp are two games I tried to get top ranks on every level as a kid. Only to abandon it after deciding it would only end with me breaking the controller.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Hrvstmn31 posted:

From what I gather you speed run this game did that influence actually doing a lp of this game?

Not at all; I've had this since I was like six or seven and planned on doing an LP of it as soon as I saw the other one wasn't archived properly.

quote:

Also if you didn't speed run this game how hard would getting S ranks normally be?

Pretty sure it took me a month or two to originally get the S-ranks. Getting them the way I was playing in that video, it would certainly be very hard, with several levels bordering on impossible (something the Japanese text doesn't let you see is that the rating for an S-rank is "Perfect", which fits the requirements of doing it without any exploits), but there's a specific movement trick that I wasn't doing in those levels which makes them infinitely more doable. It's a speedrun trick, sure, but if you're going for the S-ranks, then there's really no difference between what you would do to get the S-ranks and typical speedrun tactics anyway.

Part 04: Raisin' Ruckus

Are people that interested in the LP? As much as I love this game, it seems like it's not been as engaging as I figured it would be, and if that's the case, I can stop doing these videos and start work on my next project.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I am into this LP! I had heard bits and pieces about Mischief Makers before (starting with an ad for it, the first time I read "mischief", which I promptly pronounced wrong with a hard k for the ch for years to come), mostly adoration, but never got around to try it. It looks crazy and fun!

At first I was a little worried when the main vids showed you bumbling around a lot (I still think you could cut a few re-attempts at stuff), but the S-Rank vid shut my inner voice right up, that is amazing stuff. So I'd be sad to see this end, but I'd also love to read out Metroid Prime stuff, so do whatever you want :D.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Nah, keep it up. I'm glad to see these videos in HD. It's just one of those times where it's hard to find a topic for discussion.

Anyone else wish they made a second one?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I think this is on track to be the definitive Mischief Makers LP. As much as I love Metroid Prime, it would be a real shame to see this go.

I'd drop money on a Kickstarter for a second Mischief Makers in a heartbeat. It would be great to at least get the original on the WiiU eShop, too.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
I normally never post on forums, only lurk, but please don't stop doing this LP. This is a fascinating game, if only because I remember playing it as a kid but couldn't remember what it actually was, until I randomly clicked on this LP because of the unusual thread title. I don't think I actually beat it, either; I got stuck on some weird competition level that I think might be in this world, given the narrative context.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This is a fun LP.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

If anyone knows a good sound sample site for this game, that would be awesome. Some of the sounds would make great ringtones.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I haven't been able to find a clip of SHAKE SHAKE and that makes me sad. Mostly because I feel retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Reimou posted:

I normally never post on forums, only lurk, but please don't stop doing this LP. This is a fascinating game, if only because I remember playing it as a kid but couldn't remember what it actually was, until I randomly clicked on this LP because of the unusual thread title. I don't think I actually beat it, either; I got stuck on some weird competition level that I think might be in this world, given the narrative context.

There were a couple things in the tutorial levels that the game teaches you but aren't necessary until then, the different dash speeds and the dash jump. I got stuck on that level for the same reason.

My excuse though was that I somehow managed to rent a Japanese copy of the game and couldn't read anything. I still have no idea how a Florida Blockbuster managed to get one. That does mean I get to remember all the voice clips in the speedrun videos though!

• Locked thread