Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

dreezy posted:

Also, judging by her sight lines, I'm guessing there were at least 2 officers interviewing her, probably more given how much she looks back and forth.

Officers that you for some reason never hear at all. Was the budget really too low for a second actor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Or even offscreen ADR'd line reads, they could even be the end of question fragments most of the time like "...n what?" and "...happened?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxxupation posted:

Or even offscreen ADR'd line reads, they could even be the end of question fragments most of the time like "...n what?" and "...happened?"

I can think of no way at all this would improve the game, though.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

precision posted:

I can think of no way at all this would improve the game, though.

It would make the interviews seem a bit less artificial (she is supposedly interacting with at least one police detective, and we never hear this person talking or breathing).

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Kopijeger posted:

It would make the interviews seem a bit less artificial (she is supposedly interacting with at least one police detective, and we never hear this person talking or breathing).

They clap after the end of the song. But does that really change anything? Not really. I don't mind not hearing or seeing the detective, it is part of the conceit of the game that you only have "Her Story".

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
If they added police dialogue they'd probably have to make it searchable too or people would complain. Also didn't the second readme specifically say the police parts (like another camera pointed at the police) were destroyed in a flood or something?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I thought the abrupt introductions to a lot of the videos add something to the experience. It wouldn't seem the same with police officers actually talking.

I really enjoyed this game a lot. It was a unique experience.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It's not exactly perfectly crafted, but it's so different from anything out there and such a fun experience piecing together the story as you go that it's wort five bucks.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Scott Forstall posted:

Hannah killed Simon and Eve distracted the police while she got away. Since Eve isn’t guilty and there’s no record of her existence, the police can’t arrest her.

Obstruction of justice and making a false statement at a minimum, possibly even accessory to murder for hiding evidence and helping Hannah get away?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WhiteHowler posted:

Obstruction of justice and making a false statement at a minimum, possibly even accessory to murder for hiding evidence and helping Hannah get away?

I think the ACLU would have a field day here, that's for sure.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm convinced that it's twins based on the tattoo and bruise stuff. Since we aren't given any indication at all that the tattoo or bruise were covered up or faked, I really think we have to make the assumption that the author intended for them to be taken as real.

My one complaint is about the ending IM conversation. Why couldn't they have just told you what ended up happening to Eve?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm convinced that it's twins based on the tattoo and bruise stuff. Since we aren't given any indication at all that the tattoo or bruise were covered up or faked, I really think we have to make the assumption that the author intended for them to be taken as real.

My one complaint is about the ending IM conversation. Why couldn't they have just told you what ended up happening to Eve?

I think because game is really about drawing you own conclusions since it literally asks you if you are satisfied with what you know, there's a lot of "loose ends" we wouldn't be discussing here if the game just gave you an answer.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
One mystery that I never figured out, but which I'm pretty sure was actually explained somewhere in the tapes: what happened in February that the Police are asking her about?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

One mystery that I never figured out, but which I'm pretty sure was actually explained somewhere in the tapes: what happened in February that the Police are asking her about?

she was photographed by a traffic camera speeding or something, no, i don't know why that's important

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 29, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

she was photographed by a traffic camera speeding or something, no, i don't know why that's important

I got that from the recordings, I just don't get why they ask her about it. After looking for spoilers elsewhere I think it may be that this is meant to be the Police proving that there are two women, since Hannah was meant to be at work at the time that the picture was taken.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

really, the biggest issue with her story is that it just falls further and further apart the more you dissect it, i really hate that I'm firmly on the side of eve and hannah are the same person not because it's more emotionally resonant for me, but because the alternative is so fuckin' stupid, so goddamn illogical and implausible, that having MPD, a disorder that psychologists are still not sure even technically exists makes the game more palatable

like, that's my biggest issue with the game, it presents two interpretations and i ended up taking the one that's the least silly, not the one that i like the most

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The film Edward Scissorshands...this is preposterous!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The game presents more than two possibilities. At a minimum, it presents three.

Keep in mind that Eve could be her twin but also be lying about the extent to which Eve has been part of her life. Remember the story about one of them trying to drown the other? And Hannah's "Why are you talking about Eve?" moment? It's possible that Eve has been following her around and making GBS threads up her life, not living happily in co-existence with her.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My wife and I sat together playing this for hours over the weekend, it was a great experience. She's still mad about the ambiguous nature of the game though, she wanted it all tied up in a bow by the end.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

triplexpac posted:

My wife and I sat together playing this for hours over the weekend, it was a great experience. She's still mad about the ambiguous nature of the game though, she wanted it all tied up in a bow by the end.

I wish I could find a screen cap but a guy on steam asked "When do I finish the game?" and was told "When you're satisfied you know what happened." and he replied "How do I know when I'm satisfied?"

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

To me, the question of MPD or twins ultimately comes down to one of genre: is this s fairy tale (twins kept apart from birth, woman living in the attic) or a psychological thriller (multiple personalities interfering with each other's lives, a dead husband stuffed in a trash bag)? I felt that Her Story is clearly a fairy tale, and so the twins explanation is much more appropriate and satisfying.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I really didn't find the story ambiguous at all, aside from the ending IM conversation. It seemed like a pretty straightforward fairy tale. :psyduck:

If they aren't twins, what's the explanation for killing the midwife/the midwife's point in the story at all?

Things like "Hannah" getting caught speeding and getting in a car crash are there because Eve is a terrible driver. When she's doing her tell-all she admits that she never passed her driving test and had Hannah pass it for them -- that's also why she doesn't have her license on her when she's in Glasgow and hits the cabbie, because it's Hannah's, not hers.

I guess bits like whether Eve killed Florence (the midwife) or Hannah's parents are ambiguous, but it seems heavily implied that she did. Other than that, I think people are looking for something that isn't there?

Interesting approach to storytelling and definitely worth five bucks, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Someone Awful! posted:

I really didn't find the story ambiguous at all, aside from the ending IM conversation. It seemed like a pretty straightforward fairy tale.

If they aren't twins, what's the explanation for killing the midwife/the midwife's point in the story at all?

While I agree with your reading, to answer your question: Because she's craaaaaaazy

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Scott Forstall posted:

I wish I could find a screen cap but a guy on steam asked "When do I finish the game?" and was told "When you're satisfied you know what happened." and he replied "How do I know when I'm satisfied?"

gamer.txt

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

While I agree with your reading, to answer your question: Because she's craaaaaaazy
Though a really strong point is that the cops grill Hannah and Eve on whether they are twin sisters or not. They never question if Hannah has a split personality.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accordion Man posted:

Though a really strong point is that the cops grill Hannah and Eve on whether they are twin sisters or not. They never question if Hannah has a split personality.

True, and I hadn't really given much thought to the driving record until that post. I'm starting to think her story is way less ambiguous than I thought!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Does anyone know more context on the interview where Hannah is being asked about having had sex with some list of men (it looks like this is what's on the table but you can't read it)? I know there is an interview with Eve where she says that ~10 years previous she had had sex with lots of random stranger to try and get pregnant, but why would there be a list of their names and how would the Police know about that while it was still 'Hannah' and Eve hadn't started talking about herself?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Scott Forstall posted:

I think I saw it first on Austin Walker's twitter
https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/613803295350636544

Caros
May 14, 2008

I have to say, nothing about this game beats going back over the handwritten notes I'd been taking while I played through. I come off as a bit of a lunatic to be honest.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Caros posted:

I come off as a bit of a lunatic to be honest.

My wife and I excitedly tried to explain this game to her parents last night, and I realized about 2 minutes in that we sounded like insane people

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.
My sister and I have been sending pictures of our notes to each other.

I sketched out a calendar...

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Scott Forstall posted:

Interview 6: July 2, 1994. Eve as Hannah. She has her hair down. She’s angry here. Perhaps Hannah hasn’t gotten away yet and she’s nervous that they’ll figure out the whole twin thing too soon? She denies being a twin and challenges them to test her fingerprints against Hannah’s. Perhaps she hopes they’re bluffing? She has some harsh words for the detective and storms out like she doesn’t have time for this.

This is the only one I think might be wrong. I think it's actually Hannah as Hannah here but she's trying to be a bit more like Eve because they've figured out the police are starting to suspect. She's doing some things like Eve (hair down, dressed a little less shy), but the kicker for me is that, even though she asks for coffee instead of tea (Hannah usually asks for tea), she puts sugar in it, which Eve never does (Eve says "I'm sweet enough as it is" while Hannah puts one sugar in her tea). She also willingly gives up her fingerprints -- because she knows they'll match herself, but she gets super-brusque and upset, handles the twins question terribly, and storms out. She''s not as smooth as Eve is at handling this stuff. This is where she makes her final exit and gets the hell out of town because she's starting to figure out the game is up, letting Eve mop up on the last day.

It also makes sense because, if it was Hannah on 7/2, they simply alternated every other day.

But that is up for debate and not really important. I think the general conclusion here is correct.

Does anyone know more context on the interview where Hannah is being asked about having had sex with some list of men (it looks like this is what's on the table but you can't read it)? I know there is an interview with Eve where she says that ~10 years previous she had had sex with lots of random stranger to try and get pregnant, but why would there be a list of their names and how would the Police know about that while it was still 'Hannah' and Eve hadn't started talking about herself?

It's not fully explained, but we do know that Eve had a pretty serious STD after she was sleeping around a bunch, to the point where she was bedridden for a bit. If she had to get medical treatment (presumably posing as Hannah, since she didn't exist), she might have given up a list of partners. If the police are already suspecting that there are two of them, I could see them starting to test the waters with something like this.

Geektox posted:

It's possible that it's suicide but it makes more sense that Eve did it because she was living attic in the time and the parents may have either found out about her or more likely she was trying to get Hannah to move back in.

Re: the Parents The more I think about it, the more I'm actually thinking maybe it was Hannah, and Hannah is a bit on the homicidal side. She talks about almost drowing Eve when they were kids -- and wanting to. While Eve says that Dad should have known about the mushrooms, Hannah specifically says that her father taught her to recognize those mushrooms and describes them. So Hannah would have had the knowledge to do it, not so sure about Eve. And, Hannah killed Simon, which maybe wasn't quite as accidental/self-defense as her story to Eve made it seem. Eve could have been legitimately bedridden then and Hannah took the opportunity to kill the parents. Although I'm unsure of the motive.

gently caress, sorry this post looks like some kind of government redacted thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just finished Irvine Welsh's new novel The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins. I mention this because I think this game unintentionally spoiled me on its story. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thanks for spoiling that book for the rest of us, then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was joking a bit, what I said wouldn't spoil the book for you.

But you shouldn't read it anyway, because it's terrible. I love Irvine Welsh but it's really not worth reading, and definitely not worth being upset if this game's story lets you figure out some of its plot points.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Re: the Parents The more I think about it, the more I'm actually thinking maybe it was Hannah, and Hannah is a bit on the homicidal side. She talks about almost drowing Eve when they were kids -- and wanting to. While Eve says that Dad should have known about the mushrooms, Hannah specifically says that her father taught her to recognize those mushrooms and describes them. So Hannah would have had the knowledge to do it, not so sure about Eve. And, Hannah killed Simon, which maybe wasn't quite as accidental/self-defense as her story to Eve made it seem. Eve could have been legitimately bedridden then and Hannah took the opportunity to kill the parents. Although I'm unsure of the motive.

This is what I'm thinking: Eve's screwed up and superficially sinister but Hannah's the actual bad one. Hannah killed her parents so she and Simon could move into their old place (and either kick Eve out or resume some limited form of their switcheroo lifestyle). Eve got pregnant with Simon but wasn't as truthful with Hannah as she let on during the last interview, since you can tell Hannah got very agitated and questioning about the blonde hairs found by the bed. Hannah has a need for control, deep anger issues and murderous ideation towards Eve while feeling cheated out of having her own baby and an ideal life. Eve suspects Hannah will try to do to Sarah what Florence did to her and so kills her first before the last interview, then disappears.

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 9, 2015

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
By the "end" of the game I just found myself thinking that "Eve" doesn't exist at all, either as a twin or another personality, and it's just Hannah loving with the police. There's so many times that one of the two does something or acts in the way that is a trait of the other one, and a few times when she's obviously dropping deliberate hints, that I don't buy "their" story at all. To me she comes across as a very childish sociopath who over time has got more and more confident about killing. Assuming that anything she says that the police could check is real (so the deaths of the parents, for example), the impression I was left with was that she was deliberately getting herself into the police's hands just so she could try and utterly pull the wool over their eyes. And at the end, it's "Do you understand why your mother did what she did?" not "Do you understand why your mother and your aunt did what they did?"

The problem with that is that most of it can just be explained away by not-great acting and the necessary contrivances to make the whole thing ambiguous, so... it's not based on much that's certain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's an interesting read, but I thought that Eve came across as a much more "real" personality than Hannah. If "Eve" was just something Hannah made up, then why wouldn't Hannah engineer a situation where she could live the rest of her life as Eve... oh shi-

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

cool game I got to solve a dude's murder by figuring out that one twin prefers coffee and her sister prefers tea.

I actually really enjoyed the 90's FMV adventure game aesthetic this game had. Reminded me a lot of the VHS effects in Shattered Memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So I bought Her Story on steam since I realized that I had some steam wallet cash to spare, It's actually a legitimately interesting game! I really feel like I'm a hotshot detective piecing together a narrative crime story hunched over in a police archive, although, the game drops its coffee mug breaker twist REALLY early which I wasn't expecting it to, maybe I'm super smart and observant, I dunno, but that's not what it's about, what it's about piecing together the overall picture and uncovering the layers one by one, that's the actual draw of the game. I recommend it, but be aware so far it seems super short.

Although I already think I've pretty much cracked the case in a few hours, but something is telling me that I should at least strive to finish off the database before going to the chat.

• Locked thread