Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Guess I'll just boot up Netflix then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Don't play STO for the story, it references a lot of TNG-VOY era stuff but it's usually pretty boring. if you must play it at all you team up with the goons in the game to gently caress with the other players, who collectively make up the worst community I've ever seen for any game. In that sense, it can be hilarious but you can enjoy most of that just by reading the STO thread.

The game is currently dying due to retarded mismanagement anyway, regardless of it's actual fun factor.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

STO is a really lovely game that you should not play, especially for the story. You can count the number of MMOs with good stories on one hand and still have five fingers leftover.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

same

Just finished Hunters/Prey in my Voyager watch-through. Interesting character development, nice callback, solid episodes. I'll have to re-watch TNG at some point to compare, but so far it seems comparable in quality to that series. Sure it's no DS9, but what is?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Worst part about Star Trek is how everybody only played holodeck games that were direct ports from books that were in the public domain when the episode was made. I don't even understand how that is fun, just doing exactly as the book played out. There was even an episode that had somebody whining at Data because he wasn't playing the game "correctly", although people whining about other people not playing the game right is literally 99% of the online community today. What would happen if you met Moriarty in one of the Sherlock Holmes games, and instead of listening to him monologue or some poo poo you kicked him in the balls? Would the game freeze because that never happened in any of the books?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

Worst part about Star Trek is how everybody only played holodeck games that were direct ports from books that were in the public domain when the episode was made. I don't even understand how that is fun, just doing exactly as the book played out. There was even an episode that had somebody whining at Data because he wasn't playing the game "correctly", although people whining about other people not playing the game right is literally 99% of the online community today. What would happen if you met Moriarty in one of the Sherlock Holmes games, and instead of listening to him monologue or some poo poo you kicked him in the balls? Would the game freeze because that never happened in any of the books?

Warp core breach

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lord of Pie posted:

Warp core breach

Flotter T Water & Friends

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Yaos posted:

I got yer 'arch' right here buddy *punt*

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

But the real answer to your question is that you have to be so unbearably lame to become a Starfleet officer that it never, ever comes up. Why is it possible to turn off safety protocols in the holodeck? Because the blandest of the bland wouldn't even think of that possibility.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They only added the safety protocols in the first place after Riker knocked up that hologram

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Computer, terminate program.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Computer, delete the wife

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

All they had to do was tell the computer to make an opponent that could beat Data and seconds later they had Moriarty running around the ship. However, they still think Data is one of a kind. What if some three year old asked the computer for a new daddy because Riker murdered their real dad, and out popped an exact replica of the guy that died? What if all the three year olds did this and the holodecks were filled to the brim with everybody that Picard and Riker needlessly killed through their horrific incompetence? Would Picard kill them all because they are just AI?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Keiko was the result of someone asking the computer to create the Moriarty of complaining.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

shadow puppet of a posted:

Keiko was the result of someone asking the computer to create the Moriarty of complaining.

I still think Bashir messes with her brain chemistry every time Miles cockblocks some young ensign.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Computer, delete the wife

All according to plan.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yaos posted:

All they had to do was tell the computer to make an opponent that could beat Data and seconds later they had Moriarty running around the ship. However, they still think Data is one of a kind.

Data is one of a kind because he is a self-contained android. The computers that run the holodeck are too big to fit in an android.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Data's positronic brain is also unique in that it is a computer that never explodes! Not even once. Despite being jostled or shot! When his brain malfunctions it just turns off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Angela Christine posted:

Data is one of a kind because he is a self-contained android. The computers that run the holodeck are too big to fit in an android.

Except that they ran an entire universe for Moriarty (plus Moriarty himself) on one of these:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Except that they ran an entire universe for Moriarty (plus Moriarty himself) on one of these:

Would hate to jostle that thing

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I can believe it, the Sandisk Corporation survived well into the 24th century. Thats an SDDDDDDDDD card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, it just runs at 0.000001 Hz is all. Morty won't know the difference.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lord of Pie posted:

Would hate to jostle that thing

It would probably explode and kill three ensigns.

When Voyager got back with the Doctor's mobile emitter I wonder if they hooked up Moriarty and his lady friend? No, of course they didn't.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Mr. Horrible posted:

same

Just finished Hunters/Prey in my Voyager watch-through. Interesting character development, nice callback, solid episodes. I'll have to re-watch TNG at some point to compare, but so far it seems comparable in quality to that series. Sure it's no DS9, but what is?

I thought the Hirogen were really cool and wished Voyager had more episodes with them.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They couldn't replicate the mobile emitter. The doctor had to dig it out of a dead drone's brain this one time because it was either that or launch it into space in a torpedo tube with the rest of him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Volcott posted:

They couldn't replicate the mobile emitter. The doctor had to dig it out of a dead drone's brain this one time because it was either that or launch it into space in a torpedo tube with the rest of him.

Well, yeah, but Voyager's crew of losers and criminals were a bunch of chuckleheads who couldn't figure out how to reroute power from the holodeck to anything useful either. Voyager was a small crew to begin with, and then half of them died. They made a moody college dropout their Chief Engineer.

Real engineers may have had more luck.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

If I were Janeway I would have been recruiting hardcore. So far everyone that's joined up has just fallen into her lap without any effort.

Also once 7 of 9 showed up I'd make studying and adapting borg tech a top priority. Transwarp, super memory and Wolverine level healing factor? Yes please.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Entropic posted:

Yeah, it just runs at 0.000001 Hz is all. Morty won't know the difference.

Run it at three trillion times real time to see if he breaks outta that drat thing or goes insane.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I'm surprised some nerd hasn't made a list of every time the prime directive was broken by Picard or Janeway.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The voyager finale was extra disappointing because we were robbed of the scene where the starfleet computer janitors come in to refresh the diodes and are interrupted by the haughty Doctor only to have them tell him to gently caress off and zap him with the equivalent of a VHS cleaning cassette because they weren't forced to spend decades coddling that him and his toff attitudes. They'd assume that a holodeck run for the amusement of a hologram was a jerryrigged fix and wipe him out at the root level without a second thought.

Then the crew would realize they never liked him and could enjoy the homecoming that much more.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

The worst part of Star Trek is the rampant racism. When there's a strong person somebody just has to say, "You must have Klingon blood in you." Worf, you're so well spoken, you must have white blood in you, you loving racist.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yaos posted:

The worst part of Star Trek is the rampant racism. When there's a strong person somebody just has to say, "You must have Klingon blood in you." Worf, you're so well spoken, you must have white blood in you, you loving racist.

Nah, they were tolerant as poo poo. Worf belted an amorous Klingon woman in the mouth, on the bridge, in front of everyone and nobody batted an eyelash, they were just all "welp, its his Klingon blood so that's ok." If spacefaring society didn't have such shorthand excuses drilled into them, you'd not survive 10 minutes outside of your own solar system if you cant shrug off the repulsiveness of the Neelix/Kes relationship and get on with your day.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Michael Dorn has done a Reddit AMA where he's promoting a show he wants Paramount to make called Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Worf Chronicles.

To get the idea out there, he's selling....mini muffins. https://www.sweetesbakeshop.com/wewantworf/

I want new Star Trek, but I don't think I want this to be it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yaos posted:

My favorite episode is when the Enterprise picks up a bunch of Irish people and the show keeps reiterating that Irish men are drunk and lazy and Irish women are whores

And it wasn't some sort of alien race that talks with Irish accents, they were the descendants of an all-Irish colony ship. They had to be rescued because they were just too drat stupid to keep society running and then they got deposited on some world full of people who basically couldn't figure out how to sex

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

im glad this thread has circled back round to everyone talking about how much they hate star trek and going into great detail about the things they hate most, and also listing the htings they hate in order of hatred level.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Bardeh posted:

So Michael Dorn has done a Reddit AMA where he's promoting a show he wants Paramount to make called Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Worf Chronicles.

To get the idea out there, he's selling....mini muffins. https://www.sweetesbakeshop.com/wewantworf/

I want new Star Trek, but I don't think I want this to be it.

Can't wait for this lovely show to be canceled during the first ten minutes. I'll be sending 10 million mini muffins to make sure it gets made.

opus111 posted:

im glad this thread has circled back round to everyone talking about how much they hate star trek and going into great detail about the things they hate most, and also listing the htings they hate in order of hatred level.
I hate that Harry Kim passed up sex with 7 of 9. She cried the entire night.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

opus111 posted:

I love Star Trek, and the part I love most about it is the overt racism

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

opus111 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX8kKEh8DGU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm not about to start throwing my money around at the behest of a deca-millionaire that gets ink-soaked paycheues for past decades' work even if he was in a coma, but The Captain Worf show sounds like the best I'm ever going to get in a non-Abrams, non-animated post-Voyager Star Trek so I will commit to watching it in a manner that earns the rights holders some tiny fraction of legitimate revenue.

That's the best I can commit to Mr. Dorn, please make it so. Or sell off a few of your boats and that MiG fighter jet and license the rights your drat self. I don't need to faux donate 12 muffins with a 70% skim off that $20 "donation" to send Paramout a message when you can call Sumner Redstone at his house and ask him to do you a solid.

• Locked thread