Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Alien 3 has arguably remained the most notoriously contentious Alien film among fans of the franchise. Alien & Aliens continue to be regarded as flawless masterpieces (as they should) while Alien Resurrection continues to remain nearly universally panned in professional circles (as it should). Alien 3 is a little bit more slimly. It's production was loving chaotic and filming began even without a finished script. It was the first feature film of David Fincher who the studio, at the time, had no confidence in which ultimately led them to dictate Fincher around while scandalously making the call on the final cut. Alien 3 received mostly mediocre reviews upon release while James Cameron even went as far as calling it offensive for killing off Newt & Hicks offscreen. Nobody now believes Fincher didn't know what he was doing as his immediate followup was Se7en which went on to become one of the most memorable films of the 1990's while remaining a revered director ever since. Nevertheless, it became a box office success and managed to receive an Academy Award nomination for Special Effects. It's almost quite evident that Fox began to gradually hold this view as well, as they released the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3 in 2003 with over 30 minutes of restored & unused footage :rock:—much of which Fincher was likely reluctant in removing for the theatrical release in 1992. Apparently Fincher remained so vehemently disgusted with his entire experience on Alien 3 as he was the only director of the franchise that refused to participate in Fox's release of the Alien Anthology set along with disowning the film itself. :stonk:

The Assembly Version is just over two and a half hours long (the theatrical not even making two hours) with a lot of buildup. Having recently seen the Assembly Cut for the first time, it has completely changed my views on Alien 3. Not only does it restore 30 minutes of much needed footage (most of which on character development), it essentially revamps the structural narrative of the whole film—mostly on the first and second acts. Everything is much more fleshed out and scenes progress much more naturally into the next. Tywin Lannister Mr. Clemons and the inmates (the focus on the religion and struggles of the latter were awesome) have much more dialogue and personality than before which makes their teamwork efforts and ultimately their deaths against the Alien much more emotionally invested. Ripley's unconscious body is found on the beach while the shuttle is pulled out of the water by an Ox caravan (unfortunately, one of these oxen gets grabbed by a facehugger, effectively replacing the dog of the theatrical cut). Ripley and our gang of murderers, rapists, and thieves actually manage to incapacitate the Alien inside a room with three foot reinforced steel before it was released by the disturbed inmate Golic. The alien queen doesn't burst from Ripley's chest as she falls into the furnace, and much more. Even the soundtrack is different—the addition of Gregorian Chants during narrations and interchangeable scenes were noteworthy.

Overall, Alien 3 thematically is a much more gritty and darker entry of the franchise than Aliens. It instead shy's away from the action oriented focus of that film towards more of the horror focus of the much beloved original. There is an overwhelming sense of dread throughout—from the offscreen deaths of Ripley's comrades from Aliens (including a 10 year old girl) immediately, the prison environment, to the death of Ripley herself. Despite these, I enjoyed the sense of unity among the inmates throughout against hopeless odds specifically through the tortured soul of Charles S. Dutton's character—including saving Ripley from gang rape, refusing Ripley's request to kill her upon discovering her impregnation, to ultimately sacrificing himself in order to trap the alien. It worked. Alien 3 still has some excellent & genuinely suspenseful scenes in the dark with clever use of camera work as well. The theatrical cut is definitely underwhelming next to the Assembly Cut and I highly suggest you give it a watch if you haven't. It may not be as good or memorable as the first two installments, but this cut serves as a satisfying conclusion to a series that should NOT have been resurrected with a fourth (and apparently now, a fifth with the the District 9 guy directing grandma Ripley :().

It also gave us one of the most memorable scenes of the franchise:

And the only survivor native to Prison Planet Fiorina 'Fury' 161: Foulmouthed Morse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du4IoVgOJdU

Immortan fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I read the book Alien 3 before the film came out at the flicks. I was stoked for the film.
Imagine my disappointment when the film bore little relation to an otherwise amazing book.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I agree that the longer cut makes it better and more coherent. But it's still worse than the first two.

I haven't seen Jeunet's fourth movie since I watched it in theaters, what's the consensus? Just noticed there's a longer cut of that one too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

I agree that the longer cut makes it better and more coherent. But it's still worse than the first two.

I haven't seen Jeunet's fourth movie since I watched it in theaters, what's the consensus? Just noticed there's a longer cut of that one too.

Jeunet gave no bones about not giving a gently caress about anything while making it. At the core, there is a cognitive dissonance between the kind of serious brooding film that Jenuet was making, and the 'quippy' 'smart' script that whedon wrote. Think of it as a cross between a French Alien and a Speed set on a spaceship. There are some creative visuals and alien designs, that's for sure. But as a film it's really dissonant between two voices (Whedon and Jeunet's).

It's a bit like Alien 3, because of the respective reputations of the two principle people in charge people look at it and go "surely there are merits" and yes there are merits to it, it's just they cancel each other out. Like, if you compare it to AVP it is clearly a work of Art, but definitely is the weakest of the four "core" Alien films.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The assembly cut of Alien 3 is my favorite Alien movie. The first two are superior in lots of ways, but I love 3 as a conclusion to it all. Great performances, well directed and the best score out of all the films, and it's a goddamn miracle it ever made it to the screens. The production was a massive clusterfuck and it still came out as an actual movie.

The assembly cut uses really rough production audio for some bits of dialogue in the DVD release but I think they actually got the actors to come re-record the dialogue for the blu-ray which is pretty awesome.

Illinois Smith posted:

The longer cut adds nothing of significance apart from a different intro with awful CGI in it and a slightly extended ending that doesn't matter. The whole movie is a confused mess written by a crappy writer who wanted to make a gritty alien movie and talented director who wanted to make a dark comedy. It has some great gross-out practical effects which are creative and the excuse for bringing Ripley back was kind of clever but they never really go anywhere with the whole Alien DNA plot apart from "she's super strong now!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Alien 3 was the first Alien movie I ever saw, and remains my favorite to this day. I like that it's very pessimistic but not cynical; I adore it as a conclusion to Ripley's character arc, and I vastly prefer the skittering, animal-like quadruped alien to the more humanoid ones in the other films. I like the prison setting and the way the alien takes on the role of the Devil, not as a sentient tempter, but as a force so terrifying and predatory that people will do anything to escape or possess it. I like that they made Sigourney Weaver look harried and exhausted (and, of course, bald) -- it's such a departure from where her character started in Alien, but it makes sense for someone who's been through hell like that.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 28, 2015

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^Re: Alien Resurrection, it's a movie where you can tell most everyone making it is pretty good/talented but none of the elements mesh well together and overall it's kind of dumb.

As for Alien 3 it's a movie I always want to like and I appreciate that there are people who dig it since I'm a positive guy like that, but the whole thing is just too drat dull for me, and adding 30 minutes onto it did it no favors. I will say, though, that the moment where the mental guy frees the imprisoned alien added in the assembly cut means the movie finally has at least one truly suspenseful scene for me.

Also, while I think any real film buff should take every movie on its own merits, in real-world "don't be a dick" terms, when people are paying their hard-earned money for a movie, I do think you have some obligation to serve your audience. When you're the follow up to two scary thrillrides (and you know drat well the marketing is going to promise that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdiAGHUTlk8) and you offer a gothic drama for subversion's sake, it's just kind of a dick move; not to mention being unfair to your own work, setting it up to fail.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like that it's very pessimistic but not cynical

That's a very apt description. I loving love Alien 3, in my mind it's the perfect conclusion to the series. It says a lot about how hateful and miserable the universe is that suicide is actually a legit happy ending.

Resurrection is such a mess, but drat it, they really tried. It's got such an incredible cast, and the surreal tone works a lot of the time, it just never comes together and the whole Alien rape imagery being taken to its logical conclusion is maybe a bit on the nose, but still I'd rather take that film over the pre-fab generic action movie horseshit that the AvP movies became.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't consider Alien 3 to be a bad movie, but I don't think I ever really accepted the premise because I never believed that Ripley's character arc required a third act. The final scene of her and Newt sleeping together in the pod at the conclusion of Aliens was a perfect ending for the character in a better movie, so the entirety of Alien 3 has always felt like a ponderous and unnecessary epilogue to me. I feel like the Alien series in general has kind of lost its way by repeatedly and tortuously returning to the Ripley character, although I guess the non-Ripley Alien properties haven't fared much better, on balance.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Still Prometheus was made good $$$ and was generally liked enough to warrant a sequel. But now there's also that Alien 3 Redux or whatever that Neill Blomkamp is doing also that looks like the ultimate pandering fan service. Still I like Blomkamp's movies so far so I'm down, though they don't have the staying power of Aline 1/2/3.

I was an Alien 3 hater but the assembly cut is like night and day. I know some effects shot weren't finished and stuff but I can't believe of all that footage that was made the edit we got in theaters was what they came up with. The assembly cut is a great movie. :)

The premise of course is real stupid because the egg is like, RIGHT THERE, but I can deal. A more confident/less constrained Fincher may have had one of those decadent shots we see in his later films to show the egg in a more hidden place in the ship's machinery or something, whatever, creepy, harrowing intro just the same (especially when taken right after Aliens).

I never minded Hicks/Newt dying so much as that Dance and Glover get killed in rapid succession very early on. That combined with Charles S. Dutton disappearing for a bit later in the movie doesn't give Weaver a lot to work with (or against). Newt/Hicks would definitely be missed less if these guys were around more. Though fortunately the cast in general is outstanding.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Stare-Out posted:

The assembly cut uses really rough production audio for some bits of dialogue in the DVD release but I think they actually got the actors to come re-record the dialogue for the blu-ray which is pretty awesome.
I real all the warnings about this before watching but it's only really noticeable in one or two scenes and not an issue at all if ou have subs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah on the first Quadrilogy DVD release at least it even has the subs for it no matter what. Fortunately most of it is garbled sound effects with only some very minor dialogue being messed up. But again if you get any of the blu-ray releases it's all taken care of.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I loved this movie mainly because I love all movies with prison planets. And it had Roc.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
Yeah, the audio is pretty noticable only on repeat viewings. I re-watched it recently but I'm not a fan. It's loads better than the garbage theatrical cut, but I dislike the gore especially.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I sort of liked how the gore early in the movie implies the Alien being slightly calculating, but then during the climax the gore portrays an Alien that operates primarily by running into people so hard they explode.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone who doesn't like Alien 3 didn't watch the right version, the Assembly Cut is really awesome and right up there with 1 and 2. gently caress that Canadian-South African idiot for ret-conning 3 out of his stupid reboot which will most likely have great CG but be really disappointing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The final scene of her and Newt sleeping together in the pod at the conclusion of Aliens was a perfect ending for the character in a better movie, so the entirety of Alien 3 has always felt like a ponderous and unnecessary epilogue to me.

I think the ending of Aliens is a little too happy for the character/series to end on. Two encounters with the scariest and deadliest creature in cinema and her life ends up way better than if the Nostromo just went straight home. A new start over daughter to replace the one she never saw/had time for (who by the way lived happily to 98 or w/e) and she gets a husband! The suicide downbeat ending of 3 is much more satisfying to me. Her life is over but she gets to go out with her middle finger up to the company, making sure this thing never gets to terrorize anyone ever again.

The soundtrack is also top notch

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone who doesn't like Alien 3 didn't watch the right version, the Assembly Cut is really awesome and right up there with 1 and 2. gently caress that Canadian-South African idiot for ret-conning 3 out of his stupid reboot which will most likely have great CG but be really disappointing.

Jesus, settle down.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Neo Rasa posted:

I sort of liked how the gore early in the movie implies the Alien being slightly calculating, but then during the climax the gore portrays an Alien that operates primarily by running into people so hard they explode.

Alien 3's "xenomorph" in addition to being a quadruped creature, is notable for casually taking it's time on victims rather than giving a quick fatal strike. It made for some intense scenes (and screams!) in the claustrophobic catacombs of the prison when it attacked or had some poor bastard dangling from an air shaft while gauging his brains out.

Baronjutter posted:

At this point, the only thing Blomkamp is guaranteed to retain from the series is an R rating, which isn't bad considering how many franchises have been watered down lately with PG13 shenanigans. IIRC even Prometheus almost received one too until Scott himself said no. Also, there are overtly modern political & social themes throughout each of Blomkamp's movies that I hope he doesn't bring to the Alien series. The Weyland-Yutani corporation will definitely be involved in some way but attempting to use the Aliens as biological weapons is a dead horse and hopefully he'll avoid it. Going the enclosed horror route of Alien 1 & 3 is the best option IMO.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

I think both versions are pretty good and I'm still excited for Blomkamp's version. Alien 3 is a good movie but it also doesn't realize a lot of the potential that Aliens left off with, so retconning it is fair enough in my book.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Immortan posted:

At this point, the only thing Blomkamp is guaranteed to retain from the series is an R rating, which isn't bad considering how many franchises have been watered down lately with PG13 shenanigans. IIRC even Prometheus almost received one too until Scott himself said no. Also, there are overtly modern political & social themes throughout each of Blomkamp's movies that I hope he doesn't bring to the Alien series. The Weyland-Yutani corporation will definitely be involved in some way but attempting to use the Aliens as biological weapons is a dead horse and hopefully he'll avoid it. Going the enclosed horror route of Alien 1 & 3 is the best option IMO.

I think it's only a dead horse because no one has done it well. I wanna see Blomkamp adapt Nightmare Asylum, it'd be right up his alley I think.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Immortan posted:

Alien 3's "xenomorph" in addition to being a quadruped creature, is notable for casually taking it's time on victims rather than giving a quick fatal strike. It made for some intense scenes (and screams!) in the claustrophobic catacombs of the prison when it attacked or had some poor bastard dangling from an air shaft while gauging his brains out.
To me it felt like it didn't really bother killing its victims before it started eating them so it struggled a bit with the flailing limbs.

This is the only movie where it feels like the Alien is an actual biological creature that needs to eat. The first one was an unstoppable eldritch Space Elder God that seemed beyond the concepts of food. In Aliens they were more like bio-mech drones that turned humans into building materials and then went into low-power hibernation.

In Alien3 going one-on-one with the beast was ultimately suicidal but not instant death. Dillon manages to last a few minutes with it. Doesn't Ripley even try dragging it by the tail at one point? I know, I know, it won't kill her, but can you imagine the beast from the first movie putting up with that indignity? Instant Fade to Black; that character has now been Disappeared.

Alien 3 might be my favorite but a large part of that is how flawed it is and the fascinating production history. I haven't really followed the graphic novel version of Vincent Ward's insane wooden planet script but I'll be sure to read it when (if?) it ever completes (it seems to get a new section every millennia or so). I had heard of the "wooden planet" idea before I watched the extras on the DVD but I had assumed that meant a forested planet, not a planet literally made of wood.

Also I feel compelled to bring up my favorite factoid about Alien 3 which is that the chemical process used to composite the rod-puppet into the live action shots was so drat bad a lot people think it was lovely CG. Since it came out in 1992 that would have been way beyond the tech of the time, but the way the compositing gave the Alien that awful green tint is very similar to how early lovely CG effects don't blend into the rest of the scene. I've been told it could have been corrected in modern times if they re-composited it digitally but there's no way they would see an acceptable return on that investment :(

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress that Canadian-South African idiot for ret-conning 3 out of his stupid reboot which will most likely have great CG but be really disappointing.

I don't know, I can think of tons of reboots of other people's properties that went well! You know, like Dredd, and that Judge Dredd reboot, and, um, the one with Karl Urban in that apartment building...

Blomkomp's Alien movie is going to be sooooo lovely. I'm predicting 35% fan service winks to the camera/references to the first two movies, 45% thinly veiled social commentary about governments weaponizing xenomorphs as a metaphor for drone programs or some poo poo, and 20% Sharlto Copley spouting incomprehensible dialogue while walking around in a mech suit like the one from the end of Aliens except it will have guns on it.

But on the topic of Alien 3: I actually watched the Assembly Cut first, having only seen Alien when I bought the Quadrilogy DVDs back in the day (for like $100! DVD box sets were awesome, RIP physical media) and it took me years to actually watch the theatrical cut and understand why the conventional wisdom was that Alien 3 was bad. I mean sure, the Assembly Cut is a step down from the first two movies, but it's actually a pretty minor drop in quality from Aliens, which is already a step down from the first movie in terms of craft and narrative.

Also, gently caress Fox for denying the world the insane glory that would have been the Wooden World movie.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I forget if the wooden planet script is basically the same but instead of prisoners it were monks or something else entirely.

Couldn't of been worse then that script where hicks and bishop save space Russia during a cold war from aliens that emit fart gas that somehow makes everyone's skin fall apart before turning into more aliens which got followed by hicks ejecting ripley out of a spacepod and and and...

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 29, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, they were monks instead of convicts originally and Ripley was shunned and hated for basically bringing the devil with her to their world. The alien would live near the core of the planet and occasionally come up to feed. It's a cool concept but a wooden planet does seem pretty silly and I'm glad they went with an actual planet instead. Otherwise a few things still remain from the original script; the convicts being super religious and their hostility towards Ripley, Ripley being intimate with one of the convicts and the alien living basically below them and the place not having any weapons. I think in the original script they kill the alien by luring it out to wheat fields and setting the field on fire or something.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm rather fond of 3, for all its faults it had a certain charm though that's probably down to the prisoners. It's a complete 180 to the second film though which is what annoys a lot of people and is kinda understandable.

4 though is just straight up trash outside of the scene where 2 aliens gang up on the weakling one to escape the xeno prison.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Its amazing how unorganized the production was - they actually started building sets for the wooden planet just to try to get some momentum to actually complete the drat thing. If you lock carefully in the final movie you'll see some oddly gothic architecture and stained-glass windows that seem a bit incongruous for a shithole industrial/prison planet...

What's also amazing is every other idea they had for the movie was actually far worse than the final product. I think William Gibson's script is the one mentioned earlier with Space Russians. The aliens become an airborne infection in that one. And they can infect androids. Because reasons. At one point hack master Renny loving Harlin was attached to direct. I love how insanely smug he seemed in the DVD features. "Yeah I got tired of waiting for them to get organized and took my talents elsewhere." *proceeds to make one of the biggest bombs in movie history a few years later and bankrupts Carolco*

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On the other hand it says a lot about 20th Century Fox at the time when even Renny Harlin goes "yeah no, this is a total mess, bye!"

It's maybe not the best idea to set a release date for your movie when all you have to go on are a few producers shrugging their shoulders. And release a teaser trailer for it, too. So what if it's flat-out wrong about the movie?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Renny Harlin is redeemed in my eyes for directing The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Renny Harlin is redeemed in my eyes for directing The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Nah, he directed Exorcist: The Beginning. He's beyond redemption now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Harlin managed to direct some half-decent movies but given his overall track record those are the aberrations.

Stare-Out posted:

On the other hand it says a lot about 20th Century Fox at the time when even Renny Harlin goes "yeah no, this is a total mess, bye!"
LOL good point

quote:

It's maybe not the best idea to set a release date for your movie when all you have to go on are a few producers shrugging their shoulders. And release a teaser trailer for it, too. So what if it's flat-out wrong about the movie?
I feel like they are rushing into NeoAlien3 with the same reckless greed that nearly doomed the first one. "Hey Blomkamp released some fanwank that the neckbeards on social media are going crazy over. Let's ramp this franchise back up! Call Sigourney! Get somebody working on the 10-year plan! We need sequels and crossovers, people. Call up Renny and see if he wants to do a movie about Arcturians."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I read the script for the cold-war space-russia one and it was really really bad. I couldn't believe who wrote it as it felt like someone's really lovely POLITICAL THRILLER that got hastily adapted to an aliens movie. The aliens becoming "airborne" and just making people explode into aliens nearly instantly destroyed everything that made aliens scary and cool.

I'm not sure there's really anything more that can be done with the franchise, or at least the alien monster. If I was "incharge" of it all I'd probably have humans go off and explore something new, like the space jockey dudes. I think there's a potentially cool story there, maybe one day they'll expand on it. You'd just have to make sure not to absolutely ruin the space jockey's, tie it into the alien storyline nicely while letting it stand on its own, have a good cast with characters that seemed to actual have motives and personalities, and a plot that actually made a lick of sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's a good thing Prometheus did all that already, so we don't need to wonder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's nothing I' d enjoy more than a three page derail about Prometheus( I watched it again this weekend, FYI its still amazing), but I think I'm probably the only one. I never get tired of discussing that film.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The map maker got lost. The space jockey's are just large humans. It is garbo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Nuh uh!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I liked that the jockeys are Norse and Greek mythology simultaneously Also that the movie is explicit in all of human existence being a stupid mistake. :)

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

It's a good thing Prometheus did all that already, so we don't need to wonder.

Honestly the only thing I remember about that movie is the great abortion scene. Otherwise it was very "meh" and wholly unnecessary.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I've seen the first two at the Drafthouse, including both cuts of the first one. They work so well on the big screen, as they should. I wish the Drafthouse would some how show the assembly cut of Alien 3 so I can complete the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

zVxTeflon posted:

I think the ending of Aliens is a little too happy for the character/series to end on. Two encounters with the scariest and deadliest creature in cinema and her life ends up way better than if the Nostromo just went straight home. A new start over daughter to replace the one she never saw/had time for (who by the way lived happily to 98 or w/e) and she gets a husband! The suicide downbeat ending of 3 is much more satisfying to me. Her life is over but she gets to go out with her middle finger up to the company, making sure this thing never gets to terrorize anyone ever again.

The soundtrack is also top notch

That's just the tone of Aliens, though. It's more of an intense action-adventure film than a horror film. Like, right before that ending, Ripley wrestles the Alien Queen with a giant mech suit, complete with an action-movie one-liner "get away from her you bitch!"