Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

Summit posted:

I use iPhone's slow mo mode to take videos and it works great. Main problem is getting someone to take the video. Really needs to be at the range hitting a ball to be of any use and I go alone most of the time.

Get a Gorillapod onto your bag or whatever's directly behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
So this round happened today...

5-under through 5 is a first for me.

#1 was a 30 foot putt with about a foot of right to left break. One of those putts where you just see the line perfectly and know if you make a good stroke it's going in.

#2 was a good up & down after going long trying to get to a back pin.

#3 was an average drive that stayed in the short grass for me so I could hit a perfect 4i in from 210ish to 14 feet. One of the other guys in my group got to show me the line first, which was key because I was seeing almost a foot of break in my putt until I watched his break half that much. Just trusted what I saw and made the eagle.

#4 was 212y to the flag, so basically the same shot I hit into #3. Hit the 4i again right over the stick to 11' and made the putt.

#5 I pulled my drive left down the tree line, but hit it hard enough that it carried most of them and somehow ended up with a pretty good look at the green from 205y. Hit yet another 4i that caught the right edge of the green and left me a 40' for eagle. I just could not read this putt at all for some reason so I went right at the hole and it broke off to the right and stopped right next to the hole for a tap-in birdie.

#6 & #7 were both good drives and approach shots that left me about 15' birdie putts, both burned the edge of the cup.

#8 is a hard dogleg-right and I thought I hit a great drive down the right side, but it caught a tree somewhere and left me with 150y to the pin and a shot I had to keep low and under a tree. Hit it a little fat and caught the greenside bunker - couldn't get it up and down.

#9 was similar - pulled my drive left this time, 105y to the hole, but with low branches in front so I tried to punch a little 7i out that just didn't run out enough to make the green. Then I duffed an easy chip because I'm retarded sometimes. Then I tried to putt it from off the green and just crushed it past the hole - couldn't make the downhill 6' and took a stupid double.

The whole back 9 was just my putting turning to garbage for no reason. Missed an easy one on #10 to save par. 3-putted 13 and 16. #15 was a 5 footer that I managed to make to stop the bleeding.

This was in a club tournament and I've never been -5 through 5 before, and of course all of the guys I was playing with were very aware of my score, but I never felt any pressure or nerves until I made that stupid double on #9. After that I couldn't stop thinking "don't make a bogey/don't miss this putt". Really annoyed that I didn't end up shooting at least a 70...

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Nice round man. I'm near Pasadena, we should go play. Though frankly not nearly as good as you :)

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

DJExile posted:

Whoa, what's that Pace of Play stat at the bottom? Never seen that before.

I had one of my best 9 hole rounds ever today. Didn't even get a chance to warm up, just walked onto the 1st tee to get ahead of a couple foursomes and went to work.

Oh, I have a SkyCaddie, so it uses the time between entering scores as your pace of play for each hole. Every now and then it gets thrown off if you don't enter a score as you're walking off the green or whatever, but it's still accurate for the entire round.

Wednesday I was working in a different office in Larkspur, CA instead of my usual SF office, so I cut out of work a bit early to hit a local 9 hole course. I did the same thing as you did, didn't warm up, jumped out in front of a foursome. I had a decent round, 3 pars and mostly bogeys with a triple on one hole. All 3 pars were blown birdie opportunities, 2 lipped out and one stopped a half turn from dropping in the cup. :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UnionCarbide posted:

Oh, I have a SkyCaddie, so it uses the time between entering scores as your pace of play for each hole. Every now and then it gets thrown off if you don't enter a score as you're walking off the green or whatever, but it's still accurate for the entire round.

Wednesday I was working in a different office in Larkspur, CA instead of my usual SF office, so I cut out of work a bit early to hit a local 9 hole course. I did the same thing as you did, didn't warm up, jumped out in front of a foursome. I had a decent round, 3 pars and mostly bogeys with a triple on one hole. All 3 pars were blown birdie opportunities, 2 lipped out and one stopped a half turn from dropping in the cup. :argh:

hahaha nice. That pace of play thing is kinda clever too, I dig it.

I'm gonna try to get at least 2 rounds in between now and Sunday. Scotland's coming up in just over a week oh my god you guys :f5:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not my best round but I had some good shots. Left a few putts short too which cost me. And yes I went double, triple, birdie, because golf.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Chipping is weird. It seems like every person I ask has their own way of doing it. So far I've heard:

- punch out with a short chop (works surprisingly well)
- use a high loft club and twist it for even more loft to lift it out with tons of back spin (interesting but hard to get the right power with different lengths of grass, seems to take the most feel)
- take a pitching wedge and do almost a putting stroke (straightforward but I seem to gently caress it up the most)
- load the weight on your front foot, get hands forward, take a short stroke (had reasonable amounts of success, always seem to hit it a bit hard though)

I'm reluctant to practice any of these too much because I hate practicing blindly. Who's a good resource for chipping basics? Just need a good intro before I invest a ton of time at the chipping green.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
For chipping, this video does a pretty good job of explaining techniques: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM5l-WIyu8A

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

drat, that is a great video. Thanks!

Edit: I like how this guy explains things. Sadly he only has 3 videos up. :\

Summit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 27, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLkEPb5DzI

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Summit posted:

Chipping is weird. It seems like every person I ask has their own way of doing it. So far I've heard:

- punch out with a short chop (works surprisingly well)
- use a high loft club and twist it for even more loft to lift it out with tons of back spin (interesting but hard to get the right power with different lengths of grass, seems to take the most feel)
- take a pitching wedge and do almost a putting stroke (straightforward but I seem to gently caress it up the most)
- load the weight on your front foot, get hands forward, take a short stroke (had reasonable amounts of success, always seem to hit it a bit hard though)

I'm reluctant to practice any of these too much because I hate practicing blindly. Who's a good resource for chipping basics? Just need a good intro before I invest a ton of time at the chipping green.
Those are all different "short game shots", but there's only 1 thing we call "chipping":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Those are all different "short game shots", but there's only 1 thing we call "chipping":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM

Interesting. I asked a few of my buddies and even some people around the putting green who were chipping and they were showing me their chipping, not short game. That said they are obviously not pro golfers and I'm not about to argue with Phil on this one. All of the pro stuff I've seen so far has been that fixed wrist technique so I'll stick to that for sure.

It was interesting how different every person I asked was doing it. These were all just off the green style chips too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Summit posted:

Interesting. I asked a few of my buddies and even some people around the putting green who were chipping and they were showing me their chipping, not short game. That said they are obviously not pro golfers and I'm not about to argue with Phil on this one. All of the pro stuff I've seen so far has been that fixed wrist technique so I'll stick to that for sure.

It was interesting how different every person I asked was doing it. These were all just off the green style chips too.
Chipping is the most basic short game shot. There's a bunch of other videos on Youtube where Phil talks about other short game shots, from the pitch to the flop and so on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i will never not love this :allears:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Well I hit the longest drive of my life yesterday, I think the only way I'll top it is if I find some gimmick hole with a tee box that's elevated like 300 feet above the fairway. The 17th hole at my home course is a straightaway par 4, 345 yards to the center of the green from the white tees. The whole thing is slightly down hill until the very end where it levels off for a bit and then has one last slope down to the green. The combination of a well-struck high fade, a helping breeze, and what must have been a rock in the fairway resulted in my ball ending up on the back fringe. A few times on hot dry days I've managed to get the ball to roll to the last slope and end up on the front fringe but the course was soaked and I got a huge bounce somehow.

My course championship is in a week and I'm really looking forward to it. The weather this week looks awful so I'll probably only get to play like twice before Saturday but I've been playing well lately so I could use the break. I remember how happy I was to shoot 92-86 last year and now I'll be disappointed if I'm not in the 70s or low 80s.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My favorite is Phil Mickelson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM getting really pissy about chipping.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
My favorite is Phil Mickelson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d68hydVbWA getting really smug about lobbing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Smug/pissy or not... nothing has helped my short game like listening to Phil!

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Played my first actual golf since starting lessons. Twice round the local nine hole par 3.

The first 9 was really bad but I was pleased with the second nine except for the 8th, a decent tee shot ruined by three successive chips that went nowhere.

Mostly playing my tee shots there off the ground, is this a good idea? Seems like it's better practice for when I finally get on a full size course.

minstrels fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 29, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy tables

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
That's quite a retinal screenshot you've got there.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
poo poo, they looked fine on my phone. Fixed.

Anyway, played another 18 of the same course again on Sunday. Holed a couple long putts and chipped to a foot a couple of times which was awesome.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/va--golfer-shoot-57-with-3-aces--including-2-on-par-4s-133851416-golf.html

Dude shoots a 57 with three hole in ones, including two on par 4s.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

He slowed down from there, playing the final four holes in 1 under, including a Dustin Johnson-like three-putt par on the par-5 finishing hole.

lmao

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bunch of VA golfers on wrx who know the course are pretty skeptical. I mean the dudes a +4 handicap and it was only playing 6000 yards but the odds of 3 aces in a round are so low. Also it seems that nobody outside of his group saw the aces so who knows. The guy claims to have 25 aces in his life which is hard to believe.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And his only witnesses are his family and he's basically pulling a "I'm military, I'm infallible" card.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I was half expecting it to be Kim Jong Un

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I found a new proV1 with this on it a few weeks ago.........Pondering a purchase.

http://www.tin-cup.com/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat some of these are awesome

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
dickbutt?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You have to submit your proposed design to them and I'm sure they've had to put the kibosh on a lot of registered and copyrighted things. Even if they allowed it, it'd be $100 which doesn't seem worth it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nerdrock posted:

My favorite is Phil Mickelson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM getting really pissy about chipping.

He'll get even pissier about money laundering.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-..._medium=twitter

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :munch:

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Considering all of Phil's complaints about taxes in California his laundering of gambling "proceeds" doesn't surprise me. Dude's shady but at least he's a generous tipper.

I played a round at PGA National this weekend on the Champion course (where the PGA Tour's Honda Classic is played). A few of my coworkers are members and the guest rate is $45 in the summer season and the course is in decent shape. Not a bad deal by any means.

I was pretty content with this round. I had the ball under control for the most part, just couldn't convert par saves and a few makeable birdie putts. The finishing stretch is pretty intimidating. 15, 16 & 17 are coined the "Bear Trap" (it's designed by Jack Nicklaus) so I was happy going even par on the last 6. Plus I won $25 in the little skins game we played so :cheers:.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

Keyser S0ze posted:

I found a new proV1 with this on it a few weeks ago.........Pondering a purchase.

http://www.tin-cup.com/

I play those balls and own that exact ball marker stencil, but I doubt you're in Vegas :)

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
To make these scorecards, are you using Golfshot to log every stroke? Like you hit the ball, then go to it and hit the button? I've been using that app to check distances every now and then, but it seems time consuming to get out my phone for every single shot.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Mr. BT posted:

To make these scorecards, are you using Golfshot to log every stroke? Like you hit the ball, then go to it and hit the button? I've been using that app to check distances every now and then, but it seems time consuming to get out my phone for every single shot.

I only use it for yardage if I'm no where near a marker. I have never used the shot tracking feature, I just enter my score while I'm on my way to the next tee.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

cstang posted:

I only use it for yardage if I'm no where near a marker. I have never used the shot tracking feature, I just enter my score while I'm on my way to the next tee.

Yeah, this. I use it to get distances and log everything after I'm done. Quite honestly you really can't use it to log every shot as you go because it's a separate screen from the distance listings.

E: OK I guess you kinda could but it would be really clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah, all you do is just enter your score, number of putts, and select which club you teed off with and whether you hit the fairway or not while you're waiting on the next tee box. Or you can do it all after the round if you remember it all. It takes a few seconds.

You can track each shot and distances, etc, but that part is clunky and more time consuming.