Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Hah! I wish I had these kind of pants back in grade school, I could have done some mean M.C. Hammer shuffles waiting at the bus stop
Oh you've seen NOTHING yet, my friend.

I've got hammerpants for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Scribblehatch posted:

Ah I realized I never posted this'un.

I don't like it as much now. Especially that scribbly ocean job.

I don't mind the ocean. I do think it needs to have a brighter reflection of the sunset though. It's a given that your use of contrast is stellar!

Here's some line work I layed down for a digital acrylic painting. Next Up washes.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
WIP hands study/excuse to mess around with PS brushes.

comparison with photo reference:

Making a gif like that sure is a fun way to see all the ways that you hosed up without even realizing it!!

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

snucks posted:

WIP hands study/excuse to mess around with PS brushes.

comparison with photo reference:

Making a gif like that sure is a fun way to see all the ways that you hosed up without even realizing it!!

I really like this! Good work. :neckbeard:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Fyadophobic posted:

I really like this! Good work. :neckbeard:
Thanks!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

President Kucinich posted:

Good poo poo, but take a closer look at batman's leg on the right side. It's weird. Too thin around the upper thigh. Still, it is bitchin.

I think that's part of the style he was mimmicking from The Batman or whatever cartoon it was.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i initially thought this was just a photoshop filter until i saw the comparisons/process gifs. good job!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Coloring the bird. Thanks nature, for making contrast look stupid easy.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Kanine posted:

i initially thought this was just a photoshop filter until i saw the comparisons/process gifs. good job!
This is the horrifying age we live in.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

snucks posted:

This is the horrifying age we live in.

QFT

So, in the ten years I lived in Los Angeles, I took a LOT of photos . . . and a lot of those photos were of art. Sometimes I would see my reflection in the framed glass. That inspired me to make this "Gallery Selfie" out of some of the pics.

Full res here.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Work in progress: Matterhorn mountain and town.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Okay; can't figure out how to phrase this for google to get it to tell me the things, hoping someone in here can help me out with a quick question.

I have this ready to go in vector format; is there any way in photoshop/illustrator to flip this inside out so that it's spikes out, arrows in?

Lokee fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 10, 2015

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
It's roundabout, there's no invert illustration button. Once it goes into Photoshop, it won't be vector anymore. In photoshop, you'd select one arrow at a time, press ctrl or cmnd T (windows / mac) and flip it. Repeat for all the arrows. At this point you'd have to go back into illustrator and outline it again so it's vector.

You're probably better off bringing that file into illustrator, making the circle, then tracing one arrow, flipping it, and copying it into place.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm learning Zbrush. I took a screenshot of the model and went over it in Corel Painter. I'm very pleased with what resulted.

It's a dwarf, commissioned by a fellow forum goon.

This is a critique drawing I did yesterday for a member of a hentai site that I am a site staffer at of.

Ah, hentai-foundry is mentioned in Creative Convention. I joined in 07 and have been a site helper since 09. After months of lurking SA I guess this is me coming out as one of those artists who draws smut.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 12, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I guess this counts here, yeah.

also that spooky farm painting sold last night for 130, yay!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 12, 2015

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Where can I find more of your robots? I like her.

This is an assignment I did for my beginning Maya class... it was supposed to be a whole Gundam (SEED: Strike model), but after meticulously working on the foot I ran out of time. I still received full credit due to the level of detail. I worked from a Gundam toy that I own, but the process looks about the same as yours. Which I also enjoy seeing the orthographic WIP of, btw.

3D modelling lends itself well to forms like the ones of your robot. There's the huge benefit of drawing and texturing something once, and then getting to play with it forever. You can have it 3D printed, even. You might not even need to texture, if you assign materials and color to the faces by geometry.

You can rig her easily, and since you don't have to deal with deforming joints, it would look great to animate her. If the poly count is low enough, you could put her into Unity and use her in a game.

Simple forms render easily like this, and the second pic is colored by material, no texture. If your model is supposed to be metallic or hard, it's pretty straightforward without needing textures.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 13, 2015

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

The other week I watched a lot of Community and sat on my settee drawing on my new Note 4. Using Clover Paint is really fun and satisfying.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

truly horrifying

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The elbow on that one looks weird.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Delta Echo posted:

Where can I find more of your robots? I like her.

This is an assignment I did for my beginning Maya class... it was supposed to be a whole Gundam (SEED: Strike model), but after meticulously working on the foot I ran out of time. I still received full credit due to the level of detail. I worked from a Gundam toy that I own, but the process looks about the same as yours. Which I also enjoy seeing the orthographic WIP of, btw.

3D modelling lends itself well to forms like the ones of your robot. There's the huge benefit of drawing and texturing something once, and then getting to play with it forever. You can have it 3D printed, even. You might not even need to texture, if you assign materials and color to the faces by geometry.

You can rig her easily, and since you don't have to deal with deforming joints, it would look great to animate her. If the poly count is low enough, you could put her into Unity and use her in a game.

Simple forms render easily like this, and the second pic is colored by material, no texture. If your model is supposed to be metallic or hard, it's pretty straightforward without needing textures.

Which one did you mean, by chance? there's quite a few of them! You can check out my tumblr or my DA for more of my stuff though!

I actually do 3D modelling and texture work on a more 'professional' level, being that I do work for a startup game company (Whenever my boss has the funding for us to do work, atleast) But usually it's mostly for fun. My current personal project is not too far off from what you're describing. (that and I'm still trying to force myself to do more organic modelling but here we are, same poo poo as always) Making things in 3D can be rather fun and challenging, but it's unbelievably time consuming, as you've said. But man oh man is it fun having a vitual toy to play with!
Cecilia in particular, I was considering making a model of for the sake of rotoscoping since her design proves incredibly brutal to draw, but Niner in particular I designed to be very quick and easy to draw and put into dynamic scenes. it all really depends on what you need/want for something.

@Megaspel
I think you'd actually do well to look at Metal Slug concept art. you seem like you really enjoy deliberately ugly looking character art. maybe it'd offer inspiration on how to better handle it? You're almost there, I think!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 13, 2015

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Colon Semicolon posted:

I remember a story about a some rich guy who legit believed that statues of nude women were EXACTLY how women should look, and he refused to sleep with his wife over the fact she had pubic hair. she ended up leaving him for an artist, because that guy wasn't an idiot.
I'm sure there's other old stories, but it wouldn't be hard to fathom the idea of people being jealous of more than just the fact you enjoy your job and can outpace their scribbles.

the other robot thing wasn't quite working right, so I started on the thing related to it. maybe It'll make things easier I dunno.
(also slowly changing any design elements that would prove brutal to draw over and over as I add to the perspective version)

This was fun. It's unfortunate that line work tends to get lost as you work on things.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Delta Echo posted:

The elbow on that one looks weird.

I didn't notice until you said, also just noticed weird shoulder/upper arm bend. I have a bit of a common problem with the perspective of arms specifically for some reason.

Colon Semicolon posted:

@Megaspel
I think you'd actually do well to look at Metal Slug concept art. you seem like you really enjoy deliberately ugly looking character art. maybe it'd offer inspiration on how to better handle it? You're almost there, I think!

Some pretty cool stuff there. Reminds me a bit of Paul Robertson, and I think the animation is pretty similar too, if I can remember right.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 13, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Delta Echo posted:

This was fun. It's unfortunate that line work tends to get lost as you work on things.

oh, yeah. I'm very destructive with my sketches, I only keep the most basic line-skeletons underneath haha. (all that under-layer detail is stuff I intend to showcase though.)

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Work in progress: Matterhorn mountain and town.

Update Done, now

On to a couple other projects

Flume Gorge in NH

I'd also like to give props to Delta's 3d models. Those are insane. I never could wrap my head around working with 3D.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

Progress so far. Feeling pretty good with this so far minus some color balancing to make it easier to work with in other programs/images.
"In glorious EXTRA COLOR"

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Update Done, now

On to a couple other projects

Flume Gorge in NH

I'd also like to give props to Delta's 3d models. Those are insane. I never could wrap my head around working with 3D.
:eyepop: Love the stroke lengths, japan throwbax.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Hey Megaspel, I was messing around. I like your stuff. Your stylized work is going to change based on your understanding of anatomy and perspective, but that's your call, obviously.

Colon, I looked at your robot models. You're way past what I mentioned. Have you considered using wider bevels, or perhaps a matte material? Perhaps some matte sections to break up the shiny look of it. Had I finished my Gundam, I probably would have been faced with that issue, that overall it looks too shiny.

Thanks, Marshmallow. It turns out better than a drawing because you have time to add detail, you can analyze the model from different angles, and everything is in perfect perspective. Oh, and the light... you don't have to create light from imagination. I can't really take credit for how cool it looks due to the lighting.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 14, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Doodlin' for a game thing. trying to get a set style for enemies n poo poo.

(why did I do a poopy perspective view on an enemy that will never be seen from that angle?)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 26, 2015

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm working on similar things myself.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Dog drawing time lapse video. Fun fact Youtube kills your resolution if you upload a portrait video.

http://youtu.be/GzlhKTeUY7o

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Dog drawing time lapse video. Fun fact Youtube kills your resolution if you upload a portrait video.

http://youtu.be/GzlhKTeUY7o

You might want to look into life drawing classes.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Megaspel posted:

You might want to look into life drawing classes.

The mouth got the best of me for sure. The unsymmetrical coloring Above the eye just accentuated the issue I think.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

it's like you twisted the dogs face clockwise a bit

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Crap posted:

it's like you twisted the dogs face clockwise a bit

Yeah, and twisted the nose., which caused the mouth to go pear shaped somewhere along the line.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

What helped me with askew features like that is drawing live chickens. They move around like hell, so trying to draw them is a nightmare, but it trains you to observe really quickly and get a better picture in your head. Don't spend too long on any image if you're doing this, it's better just to keep making more and more once you got the basic form down. I'm still not great with it, especially arms and pupils, I probably need to practice a bit more myself.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Megaspel posted:

What helped me with askew features like that is drawing live chickens. They move around like hell, so trying to draw them is a nightmare, but it trains you to observe really quickly and get a better picture in your head. Don't spend too long on any image if you're doing this, it's better just to keep making more and more once you got the basic form down. I'm still not great with it, especially arms and pupils, I probably need to practice a bit more myself.

Yeah, Back in college I was an awkward weirdo and took "advanced drawing" instead of "life drawing" so I wouldn't have to draw naked people. I figured a graphic designer doesn't need to draw naked people, and I've been right for several years now, but it does hurt the art side projects.

Anyway, Got back to my roots a bit and drew a fat cardinal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KUxD9mzQw0

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Great thing about life drawing though, life is literally everywhere. On the bus, train, trees. Just go sit outside somewhere and bam, there's some life to draw, whether it's a pigeon or someone who's driving a mobility scooter but obviously doesn't need to.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Still working through my idea on an initial sketch here to set anatomy. But, liking the general direction and I have a pretty good idea of how the finished image is going to look. Plus this thread needs more art, even incomplete art.

Note: I usually use some blue pen on a raster layer to scribble my general shapes then go over it in a vector layer with another pen, so both phases are done kind of in tandem. Once she has clothes drawn, and everything adds up, I'll do my third pass and have one layer of complete fluid lines. This is not that. :)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I can give you a little critique if it would help.

Her jaw is stretching too far back. You should be able to see a bit of her neck behind it in this kind of view. This also pushes the ear out of place in your drawing since the ear goes just behind the jaw. The hair itself isn't doing you any favors either here. Her hair looks a bit blobish in the back and is making it look like she has a weird misshaped head. I imagine you are trying to make it look like she is falling but it looks a bit off. At the very least I'd have more fraying on the ends and make the strands in the back a bit more vertical to match the ones in the front of it. Maybe some sky diving reference or something might have a picture or two that would help tackle the hair.

Also her mouth is a bit odd. I get its stylized but I think it would look better if you tried to indicate how the lips are wrapping around the teeth as mouths curve slightly outward. Also lyou didn't give her a chin and I think she needs a little more forehead too, it's sunken on her right (our left) side. The angle going back is fine, it's just it would stick out a little more, this also makes her cheek look overly extended but I think if you fixed the forehead that might also fix that.

As far as the pose goes, I'm not sure someone falling like that would have their head oriented as if they are looking straight ahead. Yeah her eyes are pointed down but I think you can make it a little more interesting than that. Should also probably give her a stronger expression that matches the situation and the character. It would be a good opportunity to give her a little more personality. Current expression seems kinda surprised I guess? Also the arms are just kinda hanging there. Presumably she has wind and all that flying at her face and the air is pushing up on her arms too so I don't think it looks particularly natural for them to be level off the sides like that. I'd experiment with various poses and see what looks the most interesting.

I think it'll be a nice piece once you iron everything out. It might help to do some more thumbnails and just try out some additional poses, angles, etc.

On a side note, it's kinda weird to use these hot pink bars to try to censor the image. I'm guessing that's in response to some of the drama in the thread but drawing the bars actually draws more attention than just not having them. Nudity is allowed in this thread (hence the NWS label in the thread title) and drawing a nude form to figure out the forms is fine and a good practice. Unless this is you making a joke and it just went completely over my head. In that case, well played sir.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Yeah, I agree with pretty much all you said.

This is what I call a progress image and whenever I decide I'm done being productive for the night I make one, then stare at it a few times until the problems stand out. Its only annoyingly censored so I can share it with people who do get offended by pixels but manage to give me good feedback anyway.

Heres my list of things so far:

Lower jaw is off slightly, needs to be moved forward, as does the ear. Her head is pear shaped, in a bad way.

Bangs need three dimensions.

Lower teeth are ajar, not curved.

Right eyebrow too high.

Hair is too rounded, needs more squareish feel up top.

Hairline needs adjustment downward and slightly out (espeically to her right), forehead is too narrow a bit.

Edit: Also.. I'm really anal but have been getting better about just rolling with stuff, so in a lot of ways I'm my own worst critic. I do appreicate critiques, though (and your eye keeps mine calibrated, etc). I'm just happy these days I can get out an initial take I don't feel too bad about sharing, rather than sentencing myself to hours of staring and being angry. :)

Edit 2:

Here's the uncensored version with the ruler layer visible (screenshot): http://undertherisingsun.com/junk/drift2uncensoredwithruler.png

The reason her head is so broken is because her forehead is caved in (as we both noted). She should be looking down a bit, and the upper blue line above her hairline should be the top of her head. Also, when you see the clothes the boobs being squished and sitting the way they do will make more sense, probably.

windex fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Got to do a drawing of two dogs. I'm getting better (way better than the first dog), but there's still lots to work on. On the docket for free pet drawings is another dog, a cat, and a hamster named "Mr. Whiskers"
Practice Practice Practice

Time Lapse Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8amN8Dq9CI