Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Well that website seems to be set up by an artist with exactly one song and if you click 'read more' you get a link to 'eternify' them. They have <2000 listens so I don't think it has made too much impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Should do the real thing that will make them money (at least my money) and release albums on bandcamp.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

I'm kind of clueless to the world of music streaming. I used Grooveshark for years and just recently switched. Is there anything besides Spotify that allows for more customization but still has a good music collection? I really hate how I can't change the view from thumbnails to just a list of artist names or album names. Seems like such a basic feature to have, amongst other complaints.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 26, 2015

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Regarding the way streaming platforms pay the artists; I'm pretty confused about Taylor Swift's crusades. She seems to be targeting the wrong part of the industry. It's clearly the labels that are loving over the majority of artists not the platforms. Or am I wrong?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
You're not totally off base, but Taylor Swift's case is an anomaly when it comes to streaming. For starters, she writes all of her own music. No co-writer means no royalties to split. On top of that, not only is she one of, in not the biggest act around, she's by far the biggest act on her label. There's a lot of incentive there for both her and her label to keep each other happy.

Her gripe has been with free and devalued streams. Spotify's "problem" is that they offer a free tier of service paid for by ads and It pays a fraction of the royalties earned through their subscription service. Spotify wouldn't pull her album from the free service so Taylor took her tunes and walked. She had a similar issue with Apple. Apple had planned to not pay ANYTHING for their first 3 months of operation, but that all changed in the past few days. From what I've seen as of late, though, Apple still plans to pay less per stream than Spotify. "But we're Apple and more people are on Apple so that equals bigger royalty pools!" Not sure why she's ok with that, but I'm sure a large advance was involved.

The major labels have their hands and all of this mess and their bitching is a ploy to keep crying poor. (They all own stakes in Spotify, btw. :ssh:) What streaming has really done is expose how many middlemen are in the industry. There's a dozen people between the listener and artist and each of these people get a cut before the artist sees a dime. (Or $0.00075.)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bigman.50grand posted:

. From what I've seen as of late, though, Apple still plans to pay less per stream than Spotify.

Where have you seen this? I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to how much Apple will pay per stream. Just that they are paying in total 71% of their revenue to rights holders (compared to Spotify's 70%)

bigman.50grand posted:

The major labels have their hands and all of this mess and their bitching is a ploy to keep crying poor. (They all own stakes in Spotify, btw. :ssh:)

Over the past few weeks the FTC has been investigating allegations of Apple colluding with labels to pull material from Spotify or other services in order to drive people to Apple, but not sure what's come of that

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 26, 2015

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
lmao check out the whining on the Eternify homepage.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

PS4 weirdness - does this happen to anyone else?

I shuffle through a playlist of about 5,000 tracks, using my phone to control the player on the PS4. When I do this, the 'shuffle' seems to play a very limited amount of tracks, made up of a handful of the same albums every time. When I use Spotify on Roku it's totally fine - I get a diverse shuffle reflective of the size of the playlist.

Try starting shuffle on the phone, then connecting to the ps4. That works for me.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The 3.4.0 iOS update hosed alphabetical album sorting for me. Sorting by title or artist in the Albums section of Your Music is a total mess. poo poo is all out of order. Nice job loving this up on the eve of Apple Music.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

AC/DC is putting up their albums on Spotify, Rdio, and Apple Music starting today. I don't think any of their stuff is up yet but we'll see how true it is. http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/29/8865187/ac-dc-streaming-spotify-rdio-apple-music

Edit. It's true, the albums are up already. That's awesome.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 30, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Skeezy posted:

AC/DC is putting up their albums on Spotify, Rdio, and Apple Music starting today. I don't think any of their stuff is up yet but we'll see how true it is. http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/29/8865187/ac-dc-streaming-spotify-rdio-apple-music

Edit. It's true, the albums are up already. That's awesome.

gently caress yeah, finally. Between this and The Chronic going up on Apple Music, there aren't many big name white whales left. The Beatles, who I imagine will be holdouts for years to come.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Can I stream Beatles stuff with Apple Music? Have they said anything about that or what.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Skeezy posted:

Can I stream Beatles stuff with Apple Music? Have they said anything about that or what.

Nope; if you already have the albums in iTunes you'll likely be able to pull it up but it won't be there for streaming.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8745963/the-beatles-apple-music

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Google Play changed their layout and I think it got worse. They removed 5 star ratings. It's all thumbs now.

... Apple removed the loving stars. Now it's heart or no heart. Even worse than Spotify and Google.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The Chronic is on Apple music. Its the best service (also beats1 has been pretty solid???? actually? crazy)

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Has the desktop version of Apple Music gone up for anyone yet? I keep trying to update, but iTunes won't let me.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 30, 2015

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

... Apple removed the loving stars. Now it's heart or no heart. Even worse than Spotify and Google.
Stars are still there, relax. Tap either side of the artist/song name when it's playing.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Medium Cool posted:

Try starting shuffle on the phone, then connecting to the ps4. That works for me.

Haha this worked perfectly. What the hell Spotify.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

Has the desktop version of Apple Music gone up for anyone yet? I keep trying to update, but iTunes won't let me.

The 32-bit version of iTunes was updated but not the 64-bit version.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

queertea posted:

Stars are still there, relax. Tap either side of the artist/song name when it's playing.

Awesome! Thanks. That seems pretty unintuitive/hidden, but I'm glad it's there.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Pirate Jet posted:

The 32-bit version of iTunes was updated but not the 64-bit version.

Ugh, guess I just have to wait it out until Apple gets their poo poo together and puts out the 64-bit version.

For what it's worth, the iOS version is very nice. Design's a little dire, but it's way easier to use than Spotify.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Friends Are Evil posted:

Ugh, guess I just have to wait it out until Apple gets their poo poo together and puts out the 64-bit version.

For what it's worth, the iOS version is very nice. Design's a little dire, but it's way easier to use than Spotify.

Yeah, I'm into it. One thing that threw me off at the beginning is that, for some reason, in order to stream over cellular, you have to have "Automatic downloads" turned on in the "iTunes & App Store" section of Settings. Once I got that sorted out it was smooth sailing.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The ios apple music pretty much blows spotify's lovely app away so far but it is embarrassing that they launched without a 64bit desktop client wtf apple jesus christ

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah the ios app is pretty cool but haven't been able to try the desktop app for the same reason

However I am going to wait a month to see what they actually pay per stream compared to Spotify before I really have an opinion about the service

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
welp now i can blend my local files on my phone with apple's library and make playlists seamlessly of the two without any fuss. the app just makes a lot more sense. spotify getting owned so far.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm REALLY enjoying Beats1 radio. I didn't expect this at all. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

thathonkey posted:

The ios apple music pretty much blows spotify's lovely app away so far but it is embarrassing that they launched without a 64bit desktop client wtf apple jesus christ

What, does it sound better in 64 bits or something? Most apps are still 32 bit right?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It sounds a lot better in 64bit iTunes, but only if you have Brilliant Pebbles placed around your CPU.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

GTO posted:

What, does it sound better in 64 bits or something? Most apps are still 32 bit right?

32-bit iTunes doesn't work on 64-bit systems, which almost everyone has now. Pretty ridiculous that they didn't make sure their software would be ready in time for the launch.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm REALLY enjoying Beats1 radio. I didn't expect this at all. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

Same boat here. I have eclectic tastes in music and I'm enjoying the experience more than I thought I would.

Still not sure if Apple Music will make me cancel my Spotify subscription. Got three months to make that decision though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I'm pretty sure they're going to prioritize the mobile first.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Is Beats1 Radio the same for everyone listening?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Cam'ron to Nas on Beats1 is amazing. God bless apple

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yes.

Yes this is loving godlike. based apple

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Good call re: beats1

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The only part that is maybe inferior to spotify is that you have to add music to your library before you can add it to a playlist (theres a shortcut to do both at once). But so far the library seamlessly mixed my files together with apple's streams i have saved and actually has a competent search feature so i dont anticipate this being that big of a problem.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I've been Spotify's loving bitch for years despite their UI fuckups....but iTunes Music is going pretty smoothly....went to For Me and hit the "romantic dinner" songs it made for me and Eddie Vedder's "Longing to Belong" was the first one that hit.

I might be in love :allears:

And being able to expand your particular songs you already have on your iPhone into the full album in the cloud so seamlessly..

What does hitting the heart symbol on songs really do? It doesn't add it to your library, right? Kinda confusing. Looks like it doesn't do anything.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
This might be kind of spergy of me, but the lack of native scrobbling in Apple Music is killing me, especially because all of the third-party scrobblers are just short of literally useless.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Desktop app is finally working. I really wish it were faster, but it's working great otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Beats1 owns

• Locked thread