Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SuicideSnowman posted:

That said, my initial thoughts after seeing videos was fairly accurate. There isn't a lot of optimization of your factories. You have to decide how to place your buildings but that's about as far as it goes. There aren't really any ways to increase the output of your pills beyond using two pill makers to match the output of the ingredients.

That's true for the start, but pretty soon to make real money and increase your output you feed pills into a mixer, shake in more than one cure and then sell the new multi-cure through one output slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Are there any good Factorio videos on YouTube? I was reading through the Factorio blog and they mentioned some "direwolf20" videos and I'm watching them and they're awful because he's insufferable and also really bad at this game (He's been playing for 2-3 hours and he's not even automating the production of basic circuits).

This is also not doing much to change my perception that people that make YouTube videos of them playing games and the people that then watch those videos are basically insufferable.

I really want to like Gepwin's "Conquer the World" series, but he's just so fatiguing to listen to. :(

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Trains

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Thanks for this

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Could someone who is fairly late game (most techs unlocked and full logistic network solar etc) with few or no mods post a link to their save and the mod list so I can get an idea of how to make a REAL base? The furthest I've gotten so far is laser turrets and construction bots. Still haven't automated blue science yet. And I keep starting a new game as I learn better tricks.

Edit: Also, what settings do you typically use for a new game and how many times do you remake it until you get good starting resources? I've found myself regenerating it fifty times in a row because the previous 49 weren't good enough.

Edit 2: VVVVVV Thanks! Man, destroyer capsules sure are OP. I went for an enemy base tour in the solar save and they just annihilated even the largest ones. No contest for the biters.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 26, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sure,here's a couple
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aotxcaidii7och7/game1.zip?dl=0
This one has trains but no solar. This map was all standard settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66yzqqt7anzsy76/game2.zip?dl=0
This one has solar but no trains. I turned the "richness" on everything (including enemy bases) up to very good.

I sure do love my roboports.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ambaire posted:

Could someone who is fairly late game (most techs unlocked and full logistic network solar etc) with few or no mods post a link to their save and the mod list so I can get an idea of how to make a REAL base? The furthest I've gotten so far is laser turrets and construction bots. Still haven't automated blue science yet. And I keep starting a new game as I learn better tricks.

Edit: Also, what settings do you typically use for a new game and how many times do you remake it until you get good starting resources? I've found myself regenerating it fifty times in a row because the previous 49 weren't good enough.

,phone posting now, but hit the ? Under my name and search for my posts about THE BUS if you want an idea for late game layout.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Breetai posted:

,phone posting now, but hit the ? Under my name and search for my posts about THE BUS if you want an idea for late game layout.

THE BUS IS LIFE.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

PFFFFFFFT buses :rolleyes:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Boogalo posted:

PFFFFFFFT buses :rolleyes:

That looks like how my bases always end up except more compact and less impossible to trace belts that I no longer remember where they get their stuff from, or where it goes...

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Are there any good Factorio videos on YouTube? I was reading through the Factorio blog and they mentioned some "direwolf20" videos and I'm watching them and they're awful because he's insufferable and also really bad at this game (He's been playing for 2-3 hours and he's not even automating the production of basic circuits).

This is also not doing much to change my perception that people that make YouTube videos of them playing games and the people that then watch those videos are basically insufferable.

MangledPork has some interesting stuff. He has some nice tutorials, and his Railworld series has some cool ideas for setting up a large scale rail system.

There's also Living With Biters, which should get interesting once he runs out of things to do without alien artifacts.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
n/m

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 28, 2015

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I have spent about 40h in a single sand box game. Factorio is good. Buy it now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I have spent about 40h in a single sand box game. Factorio is good. Buy it now.

The amount of entertainment for the dollar is pretty impressive.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It's hard to learn though, and sometimes I get frustrated with the amount of mistakes I keep making. Still working on it though, in some ways it reminds me of one of my all time favorites, Anno 2070.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Lorini posted:

It's hard to learn though, and sometimes I get frustrated with the amount of mistakes I keep making. Still working on it though, in some ways it reminds me of one of my all time favorites, Anno 2070.

Don't be an idiot then? It's not a hard game to learn.
This game is way easier to handle than the awful anno interface.

If you're the type to get frustrated and smash your Lego because a piece is out of place then you're barking up the wrong type of video game. Have you tried peggle?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Gibbo posted:

If you're the type to get frustrated and smash your Lego because a piece is out if place then you're barking up the wrong type of video game. Have you tried peggle?

Geezus, no I get frustrated when my electrical stops working, or when I can't figure out how to put together a long assembly line, or what to research first.

If that makes me an idiot, then so be it. Not everyone's mind is the same, did you know that?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Gibbo posted:

If you're the type to get frustrated and smash your Lego because a piece is out of place then you're barking up the wrong type of video game. Have you tried peggle?

I get frustrated and smash my Lego (restart) fairly frequently, particularly when I was first learning the game. gently caress you for calling that idiocy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No matter what type of map or how I'm playing, the biters always seem to come just a little bit before I'm ready for them, so it becomes a frantic race to start throwing up turret bunkers, but I survive anyway.

So I guess if I had no idea what I was doing I could lose that way, but if you're playing small you won't be hassled by biters too much.

Which is all to say that it's pretty hard to "lose" at Factorio. Anything you place can be picked up again so the cost of failure in that regard is fairly low. Also play through the tutorials if you haven't, there's a lot of really good info there that will really explain a lot of the game.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Their complaint is at getting frustrated that they get stuck because they didn't anticipate something and have to rebuild a big chunk or restart or whatever. Everyone that plays this game does that - I've restarted 20+ times, and I still don't feel like I have a good way of building a base that won't require massive rework later. Some people really enjoy that and some get frustrated at it. It's honestly why I've gotten burned out on the game - I get the urge to start over again around the time I get to trains, so I never get to the endgame stuff.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
The biters are basically chumps in this game. You can go clearing nests with a handful of turrets and the first shotgun. Probably even earlier if you want. I've had some fun playing around with the harcorio mod but the guy that makes it seems to be kind of an idiot and I don't really agree with his philosophy of "make everything cost nine billion resources," but having more varied enemy types that can actually mess you up is quite fun.

Blowing up huge sections of your base becomes pretty trivial once you get some roboports going.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kaxman posted:

The biters are basically chumps in this game. You can go clearing nests with a handful of turrets and the first shotgun. Probably even earlier if you want. I've had some fun playing around with the harcorio mod but the guy that makes it seems to be kind of an idiot and I don't really agree with his philosophy of "make everything cost nine billion resources," but having more varied enemy types that can actually mess you up is quite fun.

Blowing up huge sections of your base becomes pretty trivial once you get some roboports going.

I dont' know why, but I hate the idea of roboports. They feel like cheating. Then again, I've never gotten that far, so they could be a lot more balanced than I'm imagining.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Construction robots and the deconstruct tool don't even cost blue science, you can get a healthy amount at the same time as you reach trains. It's normal to need to replace your rickety old base around that time, don't restart just unleash a swarm of worker bees on it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

kaxman posted:

Correct and they're fantastic for fiddling with layouts but they're pretty far into the tech tree.

EDIT: ^ Hm, seems my memory of them is misplaced.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

FISHMANPET posted:

Which is all to say that it's pretty hard to "lose" at Factorio.

Oh you can definitely lose. I lost my last marathon game when my map got too big and started crashing the game. I was burning through a bit over 30k copper plates per minute and couldn't set up mines fast enough to keep up.

And then I got run over by a train. :saddowns:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sage Grimm posted:

Correct and they're fantastic for fiddling with layouts but they're pretty far into the tech tree.

EDIT: ^ Hm, seems my memory of them is misplaced.

They're still pretty far in. You need a full oil system, making batteries and lubricant. You also need multiple researches which require hundreds of science packs each.

e: and you actually need to have gotten as far as blue science, you just don't need to have used any.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

KillHour posted:

I dont' know why, but I hate the idea of roboports. They feel like cheating. Then again, I've never gotten that far, so they could be a lot more balanced than I'm imagining.

They're really pretty well balanced. You start with some pretty slow robots that carry one thing and can't get terribly far without having to recharge. They scale up really well though, hoo boy.

I can't remember for certain but while it's a decent amount of research to unlock them, I think it's all red/green science.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, but once you have a red+green research factory going it's just a matter of time. Even with RSO your starting patches will have more than enough material.
Logistics bots are pretty well balanced. They serve the role of fully automated but short-range and medium-load transport, while belts will always have better throughput and trains will always be the best bang for your buck over long distances. And construction bots are so laughably better at construction (as opposed to design) than doing it by hand, but it's very much needed and well-deserved by the time you get them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oil, and the sheer scale of production that is required for lvl2 modules is the biggest learning curve in the game, for me.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you've started and stopped a few times, I'd recommend cheesing it with a megabus.

It's an inefficient way to go, but it'll get the job done.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I just checked out the tech tree and it's all red and green. But you'll need batteries to make the robot frames, and advanced circuits to make the roboports and logistics bots (construction bots only need electronic circuits). So you'll need a good oil setup going. And requester chests need blue science.

I keep my solid factory and my liquid factory rather separate, and usually use logistics bots to make any raw sold materials the liquid factory may need (coal for plastic, iron plates for sulphuric acid, iron and copper for batteries) though in my current game it worked out that I could branch off all that from my main bus. So I make basic engines using materials from my main bus, then use logistics bots to move those engines to the liquid factory (where my lubricant is) to make electric engines and then robot frames.

To make sure I have enough engines for myself to make trains and trucks and pumps, I use a lot of smart inserters. My basic engine factory stops at 50 or 100 engines (50 if my trains are a single engine, 100 if they're double headed, I want enough laying around at any time to make a full trainset). I then have a requestor chest requesting basic engines to feed the electric engine factory, but it won't insert them if there are more than 45 or 90 basic engines in the logistics network. The electric engine factory feeds into passive provider chest, and my robot frame factory feeds from that passive provider chest. My smart inserters will stop inserting electric engines when there are 50 in the network, but the frame factory won't take them unless there are more than 45 in the network. The frame factory feeds onto a regular transport belt that goes into a splitter, one end is split into a construction robot factory, the other a logistics robot factory. This way I produce them in even numbers. Finally the robot factories put robots on a single belt that goes to a robo port, and inserter puts the robot into the roboport, and therefore into my network. Infinite robots forever.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you've started and stopped a few times, I'd recommend cheesing it with a megabus.

It's an inefficient way to go, but it'll get the job done.

I recommend this for anyone new to the game. It's so much easier if you keep things somewhat neat.

Nothing I build is efficient. I go for modular and expandable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So how do you cheese it with a megabus?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's basically a long line where all resources are part of a trunk. If you need to produce an mid/end product you introduce a splitter and have it tunnel to one of the sides to an automated factory. Have it get processed then either dump the end product into a chest or add the mid product back into the bus so something further along can use it. It takes up a lot of space (have each line of the bus have two spaces in-between to make it really easy to split off lines) and does not guarantee the best throughput but it does make guarantee every factory attached to that bus will product something eventually.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Although it can be easy to inject extra resources into a belt if needed. E Circuits seem to be the ones I have the most trouble with, but if you make enough advanced circuits you'll have trouble with plastics as well. When you're jamming your blue belt bus as full as it can get but it's emptying out before the end, just put in a splitter and inject another full belt of the material.

I usually end up producing circuits offsite and just training them and injecting them into the bus and destroying my meager original circuit factory (and perhaps replacing it with another gear line).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

One more question....in the tutorials I see that the assembly machines and labs show the recipe that they are making. It doesn't do that in my game. Is that a mod? I looked under graphic options but didn't see anything.

Yeah I think I'm making a megabus now, thanks :).

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
Press Alt. That toggles the showing of icons on factories and the like.

I played this game a whole bunch a while ago (before tanks and multiplayer), and am tempted to jump back in. Reading this thread, there was an implication that a new version (0.12) is due *soon*, and I'd probably rather wait for that. Anyone have any insight better than an eight-ball on when that's due to drop?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Probably at least a month, if not longer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lorini posted:

So how do you cheese it with a megabus?

I'm posting mobile so I can't draw a diagram but I'm sure there are a few pictures in the thread.

I'll try to put something up later today if it's still not clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

boatiemathmo posted:

Press Alt. That toggles the showing of icons on factories and the like.

I played this game a whole bunch a while ago (before tanks and multiplayer), and am tempted to jump back in. Reading this thread, there was an implication that a new version (0.12) is due *soon*, and I'd probably rather wait for that. Anyone have any insight better than an eight-ball on when that's due to drop?

3ish weeks. Maybe 4. There's a status update on the Factorio website every Friday. I haven't read the latest one yet and that's what I've been basing my estimate on.