Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuarkJets posted:

My favorite episode is when the Enterprise picks up a bunch of Irish people and the show keeps reiterating that Irish men are drunk and lazy and Irish women are whores

And it wasn't some sort of alien race that talks with Irish accents, they were the descendants of an all-Irish colony ship. They had to be rescued because they were just too drat stupid to keep society running and then they got deposited on some world full of people who basically couldn't figure out how to sex

To be fair, they weren't dumb because Irish drunks are dumb. They were descended from Irish luddites who left earth on a slow rickety space ship because they wanted to get away from the evils of technology. Some sort of anti-vaxer type loonies who though everything was better in the good old days. Any culture can spout loonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHsoPPynIIc

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
By this point Data has been in Starfleet for 20 years and is 3rd in command of the Enterprise. He's only just now learning about terrorism? Wouldn't there be a class in Starfleet Academy on it? Shouldn't he be able to use his android brain to read, watch, and listen to all sources on the subject? At this point, Google Search is better than Data. Wikipedia alone has numerous articles on terrorism and thousands of references.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 29, 2015

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

ohmygod you care way too much about this kind of thing, its a 30 year old TV show written for prime-time audiences.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

opus111 posted:

ohmygod you care way too much about this kind of thing, its a 30 year old TV show written for prime-time audiences.

In fairness they also gently caress up the movies as well. I mean what sort of crew that replicates and recycles their uniforms also wear 3 different eras of standard attire at the same time?

Makes me so angry!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Yaos posted:

By this point Data has been in Starfleet for 20 years and is 3rd in command of the Enterprise. He's only just now learning about terrorism? Wouldn't there be a class in Starfleet Academy on it? Shouldn't he be able to use his android brain to read, watch, and listen to all sources on the subject? At this point, Google Search is better than Data. Wikipedia alone has numerous articles on terrorism and thousands of references.

Data is amusing but a lot of his poo poo, especially in the earlier seasons will hurt your brain if you think about it for even a second. He's been activated and running for over 20 years by the start of the show, having spent most of that time in Starfleet surrounded by people constantly, yet he consistently hears expressions and metaphors for literally the first time ever, and is stopped dead in his tracks by them. What if the Romulans show up one day during Delta Shift and the Romulan commander turns a phrase during tense negotiations?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Who was the bigger goon: Geordi La forge or Harry Kim?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

QuarkJets posted:

My favorite episode is when the Enterprise picks up a bunch of Irish people and the show keeps reiterating that Irish men are drunk and lazy and Irish women are whores

And it wasn't some sort of alien race that talks with Irish accents, they were the descendants of an all-Irish colony ship. They had to be rescued because they were just too drat stupid to keep society running and then they got deposited on some world full of people who basically couldn't figure out how to sex

That episode gives us Riker's best pickup line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNaqxREbzy4

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kitchner posted:

Harry cuz Geordi at least gets laid

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Kitchner posted:

jesus christ it's a no brainer. harry kim. wait. did kim ever bang a hologram and then block the person that the hologram was based on so he could creepily explain why he is a banging fake versions of her?

really though if harry kim would have banged 7 of 9 there would be no doubt that geordi is the bigger goon.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Harry and Geordi are both pretty bad characters and the closest thing to the goon ideal.

geordi;

Good- is really good with technobabble. Doesn't cheat at poker. Has magic eyes. Data is his best friend. Grew a pretty nice beard for three eps. The Minds Eye. Geordi roll. Played by LeVar Burton

Bad- is angry and bitter with women. Virgin. Is on same emotional level as a hothoused teen and a robot. Met his mother/father/sister once and they were dull. Holographic fuckdoll Dr Leah Brahms. Bit of a brown noser. Was a dick to Scotty even tho Scotty is a pain in the arse, the poor man is very old and everyone he's ever known is dead, give him a break LaForge.

harry;

Good- nice hair. Good at standing for long shifts. Probably not a virgin. Had a girlfriend, yes a real one.

Bad- Tom Paris is his best friend. Horrendous banter. "I'm...I'm locked out!". Acts like Captain Janeway is his mother. Only dies in other realities. Also fell madly in love with a hologram. Favourite Son. Played by Garrett Wang. Moans about being an ensign/being far from home too much..

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Yaos posted:

The worst part of Star Trek is the rampant racism. When there's a strong person somebody just has to say, "You must have Klingon blood in you." Worf, you're so well spoken, you must have white blood in you, you loving racist.

Whether it's fantasy or sci fi, nerds can't wait to create an entire world/galaxy of people who are openly racist as gently caress.

Personally I blame Gygax. Did they ever find his phylactery?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

That said, I don't know if Captain Worf could ever be as good as The Rikers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8ezrK6Qjs

Has he released any of the script yet?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Figaro posted:

Harry and Geordi are both pretty bad characters and the closest thing to the goon ideal.

harry;

Good- nice hair. Good at standing for long shifts. Probably not a virgin. Had a girlfriend, yes a real one.

Bad- Tom Paris is his best friend. Horrendous banter. "I'm...I'm locked out!". Acts like Captain Janeway is his mother. Only dies in other realities. Also fell madly in love with a hologram. Favourite Son. Played by Garrett Wang. Moans about being an ensign/being far from home too much..

I always found it hilarious that he stayed an ensign for the entire series. I mean like half the crew was killed off in the first episode, you'd think some higher up positions would still be open even after the Maquis crew joining.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Figaro posted:

geordi;

Good- is really good with technobabble. Doesn't cheat at poker. Has magic eyes. Data is his best friend. Grew a pretty nice beard for three eps. The Minds Eye. Geordi roll. Played by LeVar Burton

Bad- is angry and bitter with women. Virgin. Is on same emotional level as a hothoused teen and a robot. Met his mother/father/sister once and they were dull. Holographic fuckdoll Dr Leah Brahms. Bit of a brown noser. Was a dick to Scotty even tho Scotty is a pain in the arse, the poor man is very old and everyone he's ever known is dead, give him a break LaForge.

harry;

It's you.

Out of Geordi and Harry, you are the biggest goon.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Kitchner posted:

It's you.

Out of Geordi and Harry, you are the biggest goon.

hmm I see, so you're saying I should fall for a hologram?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You all laugh but if I could I'd jump into a holodeck filled with attractive ladies and never leave.

They'd send Lt. Broccoli to help me out and I'd babble existentialist bullshit to him until he gave up.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Moridin920 posted:

You all laugh but if I could I'd jump into a holodeck filled with attractive ladies and never leave.

They'd send Lt. Broccoli to help me out and I'd babble existentialist bullshit to him until he gave up joined in.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Powered Descent posted:

Star Trek doesn't really have an "expanded universe" the way that Star Wars does did. There are novels and such galore, but every author goes off on their own tangent (or occasionally work together for a book series), and if they try to establish anything like backstory or tech explanations, there's a good chance it got directly contradicted by later episodes or movies.

That doesn't stop some of the novels from being surprisingly good (or many more from being predictably bad) but don't expect things to all fit together into a single universe.

e: What I'm really saying is go find Dreadnought! and its sequel Battlestations! by Diane Carey.

I think you mean "The Final Reflection" by John M. Ford and "Spock's World" by Diane Duane.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Figaro posted:

hmm I see, so you're saying I should fall for a hologram?

Holograms are simply the waifu pillows of the future.

Full disclosure, I don't actually know what a waifu pillow is but I assume losers hug them instead of real women, just like broccoli and his holowomen

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also lol @ picard's face when he accidentally calls him Broccoli

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

the TNG lot should have reprogrammed all of Reg's pervy hololadies so that their skin while looking silky and smooth, actually felt like sandpaper and leaves you raw and bloody. Also when he leans in to kiss his darling holoTroi, they've altered her holo breath so it smells like she's just been sick. Then when he touch her boob, she shits herself.

To stop anyone else on the crew getting addicted to fantasies, they could appointed Data as "Holodeck Manager". He'd keep them PG13

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Figaro posted:

the TNG lot should have reprogrammed all of Reg's pervy hololadies so that their skin while looking silky and smooth, actually felt like sandpaper and leaves you raw and bloody. Also when he leans in to kiss his darling holoTroi, they've altered her holo breath so it smells like she's just been sick. Then when he touch her boob, she shits herself.

To stop anyone else on the crew getting addicted to fantasies, they could appointed Data as "Holodeck Manager". He'd keep them PG13

this kind of Federation meddling and state censorship is why people like Quark are the true heroes

Quark doesn't judge the sick poo poo one might get up to in a holo suite. Want to slaughter a bunch of people in glorious battle? Enjoy some slave girls? As long as the latinum flows, it's all good.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

people like Quark are the true heroes

Quark's no hero. He rented Nog's rear end out to pervy Bajoran priests on the regular. That's why he's so hosed up emotionally.

A truly enlightened techno utopia would fully support holodeck programs full of the sickest poo poo imaginable. If that's all it takes to keep Crewman Suder from snapping then it's a small price to pay imo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Nah, they were tolerant as poo poo. Worf belted an amorous Klingon woman in the mouth, on the bridge, in front of everyone and nobody batted an eyelash, they were just all "welp, its his Klingon blood so that's ok." If spacefaring society didn't have such shorthand excuses drilled into them, you'd not survive 10 minutes outside of your own solar system if you cant shrug off the repulsiveness of the Neelix/Kes relationship and get on with your day.

All Tumblr bloggists should join Starfleet, for obvious reasons.

Star Trek is not racist, because there are no people/aliens with 27-meter nacelles blasting their distorted comms frequencies at full volume with the shuttle bay doors open while the Alpha Quadrant is trying to sleep.

It is the Glorious Space Future and we're all on the same page and (mostly) monocultured

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Horrible posted:

Quark's no hero. He rented Nog's rear end out to pervy Bajoran priests on the regular. That's why he's so hosed up emotionally.

A truly enlightened techno utopia would fully support holodeck programs full of the sickest poo poo imaginable. If that's all it takes to keep Crewman Suder from snapping then it's a small price to pay imo.

If Morn didn't have access to a holo suite that lets him asphyxiate dabo girls, cut them into oblongs and then feed them to a simulation of his mother, then he would go simply mad and kill everyone in Quarks.

Or he'd be forced to travel to Farius Prime and use a blackmarket holo suite run by the Orion Syndicate.

Figaro fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 29, 2015

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Kitchner posted:

Also lol @ picard's face when he accidentally calls him Broccoli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41gqFO9zb0 lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I loving love Frakes' smirks in TNG. As Picard goes from smile to look of shock, Riker goes from shock to barely contained poo poo eating grin.

He's always giving some smirk in the background and it is great.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

All Tumblr bloggists should join Starfleet, for obvious reasons.

Star Trek is not racist, because there are no people/aliens with 27-meter nacelles blasting their distorted comms frequencies at full volume with the shuttle bay doors open while the Alpha Quadrant is trying to sleep.

It is the Glorious Space Future and we're all on the same page and (mostly) monocultured

Dude it took me a few reads to understand what you were referencing but then I was just like :drat: and then :pusheen:

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I loving love Frakes' smirks in TNG. As Picard goes from smile to look of shock, Riker goes from shock to barely contained poo poo eating grin.

He's always giving some smirk in the background and it is great.

At the start of the series he was kind of a rules-bound hardass, even going so far as to contradict Picard about when it was appropriate for the captain to go on away missions.

Whoever decided that he should be a big ol' licentious teddy bear was a genius.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Horrible posted:

At the start of the series he was kind of a rules-bound hardass, even going so far as to contradict Picard about when it was appropriate for the captain to go on away missions.

Whoever decided that he should be a big ol' licentious teddy bear was a genius.

It was inevitable. They tried to hide Frakes behind Roddenberry's Riker but it couldent hold. First, there was the beard, then he got husky and eventually at some point during season 3, Frakes exploded out of Riker and never left

Frakes is totally responsible for Riker's charisma and charm. You just need to rewatch season 1 and check out how humourless and dull the writers wrote him as but even then he still had the Frakes twinkle in his eye.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Oh yeah, he's totally cool IRL. I just meant that technically the editors and directors could have tag-teamed him into being Mr. Bland.

Were they trying to recreate Majel Barrett's Number One or something? Because that's a dumb loving idea when your lead isn't a Kirk or Sisko type.

Freemason Rush Week fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 30, 2015

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

I finished DS9 recently and skipped over most of the Ferengi episodes because when they weren't boring they were creepy. Anyone else?

Although the A51 ep. was pretty cool.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lil Peeler posted:

I finished DS9 recently and skipped over most of the Ferengi episodes because when they weren't boring they were creepy. Anyone else?

The Magnificent Ferengi is glorious, and you are lessened by having not watched it.

Other than that, yeah, p. much.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Magnificent Ferengi is glorious, and you are lessened by having not watched it.

Other than that, yeah, p. much.

I saw that episode for the first time yesterday and it loving owns balls from beginning to end.

If you skip all Ferengi episodes, you'll miss out on a lit of Jeffrey Combs, who has the power to make otherwise lovely scenes good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit are you kids skipping the Star Trek with Iggy Pop in it

Goddamnit

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lil Peeler posted:

lol why are they 'creepy'? also all Ferengi episodes own.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

opus111 posted:

lol why are they 'creepy'? also all Ferengi episodes own.

Cultural relativism be damned but Quark begging his mother to take her clothes off is a little creepy. Plus all those ear masturbation scenes are weird and Quark sexually harassing a rather young looking Dabo girl is not as hilarious as the show thinks it is.

Magnificent Ferengi is pretty good though and also Business as Usual. Steven Berkoff practically devours the habitat ring with his overacting, it's great!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

im glad star trek wasn't wrritten by huge faggots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Figaro posted:

Cultural relativism be damned but Quark begging his mother to take her clothes off is a little creepy. Plus all those ear masturbation scenes are weird and Quark sexually harassing a rather young looking Dabo girl is not as hilarious as the show thinks it is.

Magnificent Ferengi is pretty good though and also Business as Usual. Steven Berkoff practically devours the habitat ring with his overacting, it's great!

Came back to post this but yeah. Basically the ferengi are greedy little trolls and the idea of them getting aroused is kind of :barf: If I watched that poo poo with someone else it'd probably be a little weird.

Also anyone ever laugh at the space items all the time? I'm not even talking about like the neon green violin and chess. I remember at one point they had like a flower vase but it was all weird and stylized because it was a flower vase of the future. I'd love to have been on the art/design team who thought that poo poo up.

• Locked thread