Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sometimes a slow pace... can be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's been ages since I've read HF so I don't know if it's one of those cases

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Endorph posted:

the slower-paced stuff is what makes the story work

I agree, it's what made HF my favorite route, but I'm not sure it would work as a slow burn movie. Maybe it would just screw it all up and leave it feeling rushed if they cut it, but if left as is it would drag on and on and I feel like the early movies would just be all the build up without any of the amazing release near the end, leaving you with an amazing second movie with a disappointing first movie.

Actually, how far into the story was nine bullet revolver? That could make a decent climactic setpiece for one of the movies if it was early enough in the story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first third or so of HF is actually pretty decent, because things go off the rails right away and Servants start dropping like flies. The middle section after you learn about Sakura and Rin being sisters is where it drags for a pretty long period.

The thing is the best of HF, the endgame, is essentially worth a 2 hour film in of itself. Which means one movie would have to jump straight into that with almost no set-up and that would kind of suck.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nine Bullet Revolver is pretty much the gateway to the last stretch of HF.

The main midpoint I can think of for HF is Day 9's big rain scene.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm thinking 2 movies would probably be ideal, with a cut down, but still pretty reasonably paced version of the first 2/3 with it all culminating in something like nine bullet revolver if that was actually towards the middle of the story like I remember it being, and then the second movie is just balls to the wall action with the endgame and a decent introduction section written in so that it still stands on it's own somewhat.

Also a Sparks Liner High OVA because gently caress Ufotable if they don't animate that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The first third or so of HF is actually pretty decent, because things go off the rails right away and Servants start dropping like flies.

The problem with this is it's dumping all the interesting characters for the uniformly dull Team Matou, which consists of the 3 lamest villains in the game, a dull love interest, and Rider (who really only comes into her own in HA).

Like I don't know how you would go about fixing HF's problems I guess but by no means are Zouken and TA acceptable substitutes for Lancer, Gil, Saber, and the Caster Crew.

On the other hand the HF finale really is the best part of the entire game so whatever I guess.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Actually, how far into the story was nine bullet revolver? That could make a decent climactic setpiece for one of the movies if it was early enough in the story.

It happens like halfway through day 15

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I don't think 2 movies would be enough. In prticular, I don't see fitting anything more than the last two days into a single movie. I'd go with three, though that has the obvious problem of of the second movie being having to cover all the dead air in the middle of the route, but the end of the fourteenth day (Sakura returns to the Emiya household after killing Shinki with Saber Alter in tow, drains Shirou and Rin and makes off with Illya) would be the perfect cutoff point for the last movie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rodyle posted:

The problem with this is it's dumping all the interesting characters for the uniformly dull Team Matou, which consists of the 3 lamest villains in the game, a dull love interest, and Rider (who really only comes into her own in HA).

Like I don't know how you would go about fixing HF's problems I guess but by no means are Zouken and TA acceptable substitutes for Lancer, Gil, Saber, and the Caster Crew.

On the other hand the HF finale really is the best part of the entire game so whatever I guess.
I'm not sure what you're arguing here Rodyle, other than "just don't adapt Heaven's Feel".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He's contractually obliged to bitch about HF every few pages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

zouken and TA are cool, and sakura is best girl

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you think the beginning of HF is less interesting than Fate's beginning then you are straight up a crazy person.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here Rodyle, other than "just don't adapt Heaven's Feel".
1 film, star wars text scroll, 9 Bullet Revolver

Endorph posted:

zouken and TA are cool, and sakura is best girl

I will only concede only that Zouken's crunch effects are the best sound effects in the game. Sakura can't even win best heroine, never mind best girl.

E: actually that sequence where you're some bystander Zouken eats is pretty great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't read the VN in like 6 years so bear with me, but from my memory the highlights for me were basically...

Mapo Tofu, Nine Bullet Revolver, Sparks Liner High and all of the climactic fights on both Shiro and Rin's sides. The first 2/3rds of HF were never ever compelling even from a character building perspective, maybe it's because she's not there a lot in the first two routes, but her becoming this character who has a huge influence or is influenced by a ton of poo poo always felt boring and forced to me. At least with Rin and Saber they are in a significant part of the first two routes even thought the amount which they develop is resolved separately. I legit could not watch an entire first movie of buildup as it is so boring and impossible for me to care about anyone who is largely involved in it, it even makes me not care about one of my favorite characters, Rin. I would rather just drop myself into the second movie where the cool stuff that I care about is all happening, but that's me.

Sorry if all of this seems a bit rambling, but I'm just trying to picture in my head where the movie would go and if I would actually care enough to watch anything beyond the last film if they do multiple ones.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

He's contractually obliged to bitch about HF every few pages.

I actually complain about HF less than Nate does about Saber.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Doesn't Saber get iced less than halfway through HF? Things going to poo poo is what the start of HF is all about and is the only thing it has going for it. And then Shirou and Rin just wander the town doing jack while Sakura is bedridden and it's pretty dull.

Rodyle posted:

I actually complain about HF less than Nate does about Saber.
Saber is OK in every route but her own, she's actually pretty funny in UBW. Fate is just that bad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Doesn't Saber get iced less than halfway through HF? Things going to poo poo is what the start of HF is all about and is the only thing it has going for it.

Yeah and it sucks. The fights that happen are dull and one-sided and it just happens so suddenly I just react like "Oh... guess this is happening now." Lancer and Gil's deaths have to be the most deflating ways both of them die possible.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Didn't Kotomine kill Assassin one on one in some scene or am I making up that plot detail? something like assassin went for the heart but he didn't have one for some reason?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TA got his rear end kicked but wasn't killed because he's still a Servant and Kotomine didn't have anything magically strong enough to actually put him down. But yes Zabaniya or whatever was useless on Kotomine's goo heart.

E:
v
I can't remember, but I call her name.
I know I have to do it.
Because ____ will never return if I don't.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 29, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, the various Illya/Shirou interactions peppered throughout the route are pretty nice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SAKURA BEST GIRL

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The first and second kara no kyoukai was all a slow burn and was ok, so I trust anime slow burns

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am now going to watch the fourth kara no kyoukai

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah, the various Illya/Shirou interactions peppered throughout the route are pretty nice.

I actually completely forgot about these and am sad I did because that route was the one Ilya got to be cool in.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

SAKURA BEST GIRL

I enjoy 3 hours of archery club budget chat, but only if it's topped off with a joke about large breasts.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Worth noting that it's the same studio, so I'm ok with a slow burn movie if it sets up a good movie

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I enjoy 3 hours of archery club budget chat, but only if it's topped off with a joke about large breasts.
i too enjoy this thing that does not happen in fate/stay night

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
large breasts are good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All breasts are righteous

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

i too enjoy this thing that does not happen in fate/stay night

Never said it did! It's her thing in Hollow.

Beef Chief posted:

large breasts are good

Namtab posted:

All breasts are righteous

Well yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hollow... wasn't that good imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest characters in hollow were the ones who got the least amount of screentime, and the main girls were all reduced to basically one gag a piece.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Beef Chief posted:

large breasts are good

breast bros

:smugdog::hf::smug:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh no shiki just got attacked by the universe

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Are all large breasts actually great? :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Moobs do NOT count

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh no, hospital zombies

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Third movie was better than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can't wait till you get to number five.