Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Hey, what are some good browser alternatives?

Firefox, I use it as my only browser on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

Does anyone on Comcast even approach the speeds they pay for?

I'm usually at least at the speed I pay for. On the computer that's wired to the router, anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

Statistically, the average Comcast user gets more than they paid for:
https://www.fcc.gov/reports/measuring-broadband-america-2014

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone on Comcast experience slow speeds on their devices? I thought it was a consequence of being rooted, but my spare Android phone (G4) is experiencing the same thing. It's incredibly slow when doing anything that requires connection and sometimes doesn't load at all.

There is probably something up with your router and the wifi chipset in your phone. What router are you using, and what speed is your service supposed to be?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone on Comcast experience slow speeds on their devices? I thought it was a consequence of being rooted, but my spare Android phone (G4) is experiencing the same thing. It's incredibly slow when doing anything that requires connection and sometimes doesn't load at all.

On Speedtest I get a little more than advertised on both my wired desktop and phone. If you using The Internet Health Test I'm getting random tests going down to 30 mb instead of my 110. If you are living in an apartment and are on 2.4 ghz wi-fi it might be too much congestion to get enough bandwidth. You can use Wifi Analyzer to see what's going on

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There is a documented bug with Comcast wireless gateways and lollipop. Don't know if it's resolved yet.

http://phandroid.com/2015/05/13/comcast-wireless-gateway-lollipop-bug/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone using the NJTransit app with the M preview? I have it on my 5, and I can't login to the app. Keeps saying "server timeout" I've uninstalled and reinstalled a bunch, no dice.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

dissss posted:

Any recommendations for a dialer (and possibly contact) app for those of us with lovely phones.

Getting really sick of the gingerbread looking default on my G3

I like and use ExDialer. It's paid but you can use it for 5 days to see if it's worth it for you.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What's a good 4-track app for recording stuff on the fly? No super-professional stuff, just record via built-in mic, like a scratchpad.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

noirstronaut posted:

Has this always been the case since your last hardware/software change or is it recent? My router overheats this time of year and causes really slow performance until I reboot it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My phone on my mom's Comcast-provided modem/router/phone combo (their landline comes into it for some reason) sometimes slows down and/or disconnects for no reason. Flipping the WiFi on/off fixes that. I never had problems using my own personal modem/router combo with my Comcast service.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Has this always been the case since your last hardware/software change or is it recent? My router overheats this time of year and causes really slow performance until I reboot it.

Pretty recent. I've always had the Wireless Gateway, but I've only been on Lollipop for a few months, so I'm 50/50 split on wondering if it's relating to the bug posted above.

Uthor posted:

My phone on my mom's Comcast-provided modem/router/phone combo (their landline comes into it for some reason) sometimes slows down and/or disconnects for no reason. Flipping the WiFi on/off fixes that. I never had problems using my own personal modem/router combo with my Comcast service.

I tried all the basic troubleshooting stuff to no avail.

I think it might *have* to be related to the bug since I'm only experiencing this on Android devices running Lollipop. I'm just curious as to what could've made poo poo hit the fan since I'm running into this problem now, but didn't awhile ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

I generally exceed them.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I do too - my usenet speeds routinely hit about 3x what I am paying for.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Defend your Comcast speeds ITT.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

To the people saying they exceed their advertised speeds, are you using speedtest.net? Don't. It uses a small sample size and takes the highest spike, it also gets paid off by comcast to lie.
Use testmynet.net and do a sample of a few mb.

testmynet gives me speeds about half of what speedtest says.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I saw a 3 Mbps difference between testmy.net (NOT testmynet.net) and speedtest.net. :shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

eSporks posted:

To the people saying they exceed their advertised speeds, are you using speedtest.net? Don't. It uses a small sample size and takes the highest spike, it also gets paid off by comcast to lie.

The FCC disagrees with you.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

eSporks posted:

testmynet.net isn't a thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dik-dik posted:

testmynet.net isn't a thing.

Yeah, I said that in my post. eSporks meant testmy.net.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

datajosh posted:

Facebook's Hello is decent looking but I haven't used it myself. I wish Google would put their dialer on the Play Store.

I'm using it now on my G4 it's pretty decent.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

eSporks posted:

Sounds like BS. Sometimes the servers you connect to on speedtest.net suck. I just did 3 tests at 3 different servers, one said 56, one said 173, and one said 210, all a few seconds apart. Testmy.net said 200-215.

E: Seeing the comparison to usual TWC was hilarious though

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Google Opinion Rewards got an update today. That update is:

Now Available In Brazil And Mexico.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Google Opinion Rewards got an update today. That update is:

Now Available In Brazil And Mexico.

Gat drat foreigners gonna steal all our surveys :911:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

vyst posted:

Gat drat foreigners gonna steal all our surveys :911:

Answer them faster, so that there aren't any they can steal?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Donald Trump is going to be pissed.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I use Comcast. My speeds are OK. But with that said: gently caress Comcast.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

noirstronaut posted:

I think it might *have* to be related to the bug since I'm only experiencing this on Android devices running Lollipop. I'm just curious as to what could've made poo poo hit the fan since I'm running into this problem now, but didn't awhile ago.

Yeah I was wondering this too. Past week or two any connection at my place which is using Comcast's modem/router and it stalls for 15 secs then loads up. I haven't had this problem before and had lollipop on way before this so I don't know what goofed up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is anyone else seeing delayed notifications using the official Twitter app on an S6? It's super specific because this is with the alpha version of the Twitter app so I realize it could be that causing the issue.

Sometimes my notifications go through just fine but on the occasion I'll go to sleep and when I get up and check my phone I see no notifications, I'll check the app itself and I'll have 3 new replies.

I go ahead check those then go back to the home screen and then the S6 will notify me of the tweets I just read. Hours after I got them.

It's weird and I get that maybe because I'm using the alpha it's a bit wonky but I'm also concerned because it could be me getting Samsung'd. I don't get why Samsung needs their own push service thing. There's something called ANT+? Then there's "Samsung Push Services" app or something. Could it be those apps getting killed from memory and thus they don't push proper? I don't use a task killer.

Sinroth
May 19, 2010
Finally got round to releasing an app, would greatly appreciate any feedback. Just simple things like crashes, are things behaving as you'd expect, suggestions, what works well and what doesn't etc.

The app name is Lovester, it's meant as an app for couples to enjoy together. Link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lusoapps.lovester

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Most people have long forgotten DSLReports for speed tests, but they recently rebuilt their speedtest from ground up in HTML5 and it's been very accurate for me. Works in mobile, too. I can't speak to how it compares to testmy.net though.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does google messenger handle group sms if I have a google voice number? Hangouts not having this is driving me a bit crazy.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I was wondering if there is any video service that allow for caching videos for offline usage, better yet if it's automatic. I'm guessing Netflix or any service that provides normal TV stuff won't have something like that so next up would be Youtube and it seems that they had this at some point but then they removed it, but maybe there is a 3rd party app that does that. Also I would be willing to use something like Vessel if they have this feature on an android app.

Edit: I know I can use youtube-dl and just watch the video files but something that would do this more or less automatically like podcasts would be better.

program666 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 29, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

program666 posted:

I was wondering if there is any video service that allow for caching videos for offline usage, better yet if it's automatic. I'm guessing Netflix or any service that provides normal TV stuff won't have something like that so next up would be Youtube and it seems that they had this at some point but then they removed it, but maybe there is a 3rd party app that does that. Also I would be willing to use something like Vessel if they have this feature on an android app.

Edit: I know I can use youtube-dl and just watch the video files but something that would do this more or less automatically like podcasts would be better.

What kinds of videos? YouTube has offline downloading with their music key thing.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I kind of wanted it to just go through my subscription and download everything on the queue I still didn't watch, manually or otherwise, non-music videos.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The iOS version of Hangouts just got updated to version 4. Which is the fancy new design and speed updates.

I'm surprised they got it first but I'm going to assume the Android version is coming out later today or sometime this week.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

program666 posted:

I kind of wanted it to just go through my subscription and download everything on the queue I still didn't watch, manually or otherwise, non-music videos.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Skeezy posted:

The iOS version of Hangouts just got updated to version 4. Which is the fancy new design and speed updates.

I'm surprised they got it first but I'm going to assume the Android version is coming out later today or sometime this week.
Didnt android have to wait like a year for a google voice update? we should all buy iphones

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
iOS had VOIP calling through hangouts for like a year before Android got it. Clearly not even Google can code an app for Android faster than iOS.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Current Android Hangouts is the only app I can count on to actually be available instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

iOS had VOIP calling through hangouts for like a year before Android got it. Clearly not even Google can code an app for Android faster than iOS.

More like Google actually hates hangouts and Google Voice and are doing everything in their power to get people to stop using it.

• Locked thread