Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nessin posted:

That and the fact that one active fort stops however many thousands of troops. I liked the concept but if I've got a 50k stack against a level 2/3 fort I should be able to leave behind 12 or 18k for the fort and then move on. Invading any big country in the mid-late game is just punishing. Hello, 400k Ottoman army knocking at your door, we'll see your capital 8 provinces in after about 5 years of tearing down the ring of castles AI loves to put up. I will have nightmares of trying to tear down Ming for years.

This was irritating the gently caress out of me last night.

I can move into a province from the left, I can move into a province from the right. Moving all the way through the province? Nope gotta go like 10 provinces around even though all forts nearby are besieged and their armies have been completely smashed.

I'm probably just not used to it yet but goddamn. I get that it is supposed to keep big empires from smashing little countries but at the same time when I've already defeated their armies and I'm just waiting 4-5 years to be able to get to their capital it's brutal.

One of my issues is that it is kind of hard to tell after a certain point when there are forts everywhere what exactly the pathways are but again I'm probably just not used to it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: /\//\/\ the movement near/around forts does need some fine tuning, I agree.

nessin posted:

That and the fact that one active fort stops however many thousands of troops. I liked the concept but if I've got a 50k stack against a level 2/3 fort I should be able to leave behind 12 or 18k for the fort and then move on. Invading any big country in the mid-late game is just punishing. Hello, 400k Ottoman army knocking at your door, we'll see your capital 8 provinces in after about 5 years of tearing down the ring of castles AI loves to put up. I will have nightmares of trying to tear down Ming for years.
This is a good point. The Ottomans sieged a number of forts in Hungary while the rest of their army continued deeper into the country to go siege Vienna and I could probably look up a dozen examples of the French or an HRE coalition investing a fort with a small force and moving on with the rest of their armies.

Koramei posted:

so I immediately wanted to check, and

ah
And so it begins....

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 30, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Freudian posted:

Vicky2.jpg

I love it still

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Freudian posted:

Vicky2.jpg

The funniest thing to me about this is how that guy only scored 2nd place

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: /\//\/\ the movement near/around forts does need some fine tuning, I agree.

This is a good point. The Ottomans sieged a number of forts in Hungary while the rest of their army continued deeper into the country to go siege Vienna
This may be true but it's also true that they did this in real life and not in eu4. The way forts block movement now is great for gameplay.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Elman posted:

Not mine, but:

This brings back memories of the Burgundy succession LP.

200+% overextension back in the days of random rebellions and 0 manpower. It was a hell of a ride.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Elman posted:

Not mine, but:

Btw this is not from someone getting high OE to make a funny screenshot. These rebels are all from a single austrian event that spawns nationalist rebels in every single province with an unaccepted culture or you can just pay 600 monarch points.

e: Must've missed the new morale bars in the patchlog. It's much easier to see at a glance who is winning now.

e2: Don't remember a 10 year cooldown on joining wars either.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 30, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Bug, in the beta (but probably in whatever's live at the moment): as Sweden, won independence. Next war, go to take back cores against Denmark, who still have Norway under a PU. I can't take my core on Jamtland back from Norway, because I apparently don't have a core on it. Even though I do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kersch posted:

This may be true but it's also true that they did this in real life and not in eu4. The way forts block movement now is great for gameplay.
Oh I agree, but similar to what I was going on about a page or two back, if you have enough men you still should be able to work around certain fort mechanics.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So as Castile, I vassalized Navarra and they ate a bunch of Aragon and 2 southern French provinces. But then of course I got the Iberian wedding. Is it worth breaking vassalization on Navarra, punching half of Aragon out of them, and then re-vassalizing in a second war, just to save a few hundred point integrating? I'm thinking no, but this is really annoying.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

So as Castile, I vassalized Navarra and they ate a bunch of Aragon and 2 southern French provinces. But then of course I got the Iberian wedding. Is it worth breaking vassalization on Navarra, punching half of Aragon out of them, and then re-vassalizing in a second war, just to save a few hundred point integrating? I'm thinking no, but this is really annoying.

It's a couple hundred dip points, the least valuable points. It's not a big deal.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

It's a couple hundred dip points, the least valuable points. It's not a big deal.
Two poor provinces in the Pyrenees isnt even a couple hundred.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

If you're going to do that, just give all of Navarra to Aragon. That way when you hit the button to turn into Spain, you'll get all the cores for free.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Two poor provinces in the Pyrenees isnt even a couple hundred.

"A bunch of Aragon" on top of that probably is though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

"A bunch of Aragon" on top of that probably is though
Oh poo poo I misread it, yeah. In that case SeaTard is probably right, as long as the AE would not be a problem.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
A couple of notable things from the beta patch that I haven't seen much discussed:

You now get up to +1 AT from up-to-date, maintained forts which is pretty awesome.

You can now reform your gov't into a Theocracy with Diplomatic + Religious ideas.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to get out of a grand republic other than letting rebels win?

Is there even any point or is that already basically the optimal government?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Moridin920 posted:

Is there any way to get out of a grand republic other than letting rebels win?

Is there even any point or is that already basically the optimal government?
Dutch Republic or bust.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Elman posted:

Not mine, but:

Vicky 3 looking good.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Apparently you don't get exiled if you're in a country you have military access to when the war ends. That's.... illogical. Had to spend 3 months negotiating more access treaties just to get home, and rely on not being declared hostile (and thus refused access) by the country I just beat in the war :geno:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'd really appreciate it if the Iberian Wedding would fire, like, any minute now. (They have Naples under a personal union)

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 30, 2015

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Anyone noticed whether 1.12 saves are compatible with 1.13 yet?

reL
May 20, 2007
On the flipside my line of max-level forts allowed my 120 divisions as the Commonwealth to defeat an Ottoman force that numbered upwards of 200 divisions. Between attrition, military NIs, mercs, and a collection of reaaaaally good generals I just had to wait 'em out and pick my battles. After about 3 years of back and forth fighting they were down to near-zero manpower and I was able to push through the balkans and occupy right up to Constantinople, without ever having them successfully occupy a province.

I feel like, even with high level forts, this sort of defensive back-and-forth wouldn't have been possible pre-CS. Wouldn't they just be able to assault down my forts and push right into my territory as they'd like, causing my WE to skyrocket? As I was able to afford a line of high level forts I created a defensive perimeter against the Ottomans pretty early on, as they were an absolute beast, and when I needed it all those extra ducats paid off.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Arzakon posted:

Wiz says it worked when they tested it but some people get crashes when they try to load them so it probably depends on the save. Just try yourself, you can always revert back to 1.12.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arzakon posted:

Yeah seem to be. You have to toggle "show incompatible saves" but my 1.12 saves are working fine so far. There are a few map setup changes that won't be applied.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How hard is it to form the Netherlands without using a custom nation? Seems like you're guaranteed to be surrounded by huge great powers unless you get lucky with the Burgundian Inheritance.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

How hard is it to form the Netherlands without using a custom nation? Seems like you're guaranteed to be surrounded by huge great powers unless you get lucky with the Burgundian Inheritance.

There's two ways to do it: play as Burgundy and inherit/conquer the last few provinces you need, or play as one of the dutch / flemish minors. I was able to do it as Utrecht back before AoW came out and I'm not a super genius at this game, so it's not too difficult. Besides, as the dutch you should be focused on colonial expansion and building tall.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:eng99:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

I haven't tried it since CS completely changed Burgundy, but it was pretty easy before. The Burgundian Inheritance is actually something of a curse, just because Burgundy tends to be a lot easier to beat up than Austria is. But either way, the way to do it is the same; start as one of the minors, probably Gelre (as a Monarchy they can do RMs, which really helps), butter up France, use them to pounce on Burgundy at an opportune moment, take as many provinces as possible, free any minors you can. Once you've beaten Burgundy once, use the truce to go eat the rest of the Dutch minors.

I imagine it's pretty easy to start as someone like Holland now too, and just get France to support your independence.

As for being surrounded by huge powers, it's not all that tricky to balance. You definitely want Quantity ideas, but you'll be so rich that you'll be able to field an army nearly as large as France's, and forts now give you the strategic depth that the Netherlands so sorely lacked pre-CS.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Blah, my save game crashes with the beta. Might start a new game. Has anyone noticed any really terrible bugs with the beta yet?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

reL posted:

On the flipside my line of max-level forts allowed my 120 divisions as the Commonwealth to defeat an Ottoman force that numbered upwards of 200 divisions. Between attrition, military NIs, mercs, and a collection of reaaaaally good generals I just had to wait 'em out and pick my battles. After about 3 years of back and forth fighting they were down to near-zero manpower and I was able to push through the balkans and occupy right up to Constantinople, without ever having them successfully occupy a province.

I feel like, even with high level forts, this sort of defensive back-and-forth wouldn't have been possible pre-CS. Wouldn't they just be able to assault down my forts and push right into my territory as they'd like, causing my WE to skyrocket? As I was able to afford a line of high level forts I created a defensive perimeter against the Ottomans pretty early on, as they were an absolute beast, and when I needed it all those extra ducats paid off.
I absolutely love the new fort mechanics for this reason. As a tiny nation in southern Sweden I fought and won a war outnumbered 3-1 because I had double my forcelimits in galleys and forts in the right places. I took loans and ran out of manpower, but the Norse live on!

Ugh this is why it kills me that people with higher stats are more likely to die simply because they have higher stats and that there is only ever one heir.
edit: "A beloved heir dies" as if there is another :xd:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Blah, my save game crashes with the beta. Might start a new game. Has anyone noticed any really terrible bugs with the beta yet?

I've noticed one weird thing, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or new. Three times now I've had my clearly superior fleet blockading a port holding the enemy fleet, and as soon as I give my fleet the order to move away (thus breaking the blockade), the enemy fleet pounces on me. They get quickly crushed, so I have no idea what their motivation for attacking my fleet was, especially since they were content to hide in port up to the moment it looked as if I was moving my fleet away.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah forts seem like one of the best ways to turn cash into victories. And now having enough forts at full maintenance gets you a good amount of AT, all the more reason to turtle up.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Apoffys posted:

I've noticed one weird thing, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or new. Three times now I've had my clearly superior fleet blockading a port holding the enemy fleet, and as soon as I give my fleet the order to move away (thus breaking the blockade), the enemy fleet pounces on me. They get quickly crushed, so I have no idea what their motivation for attacking my fleet was, especially since they were content to hide in port up to the moment it looked as if I was moving my fleet away.

I noticed this too in 1.12. While funneling troops over to Benin as Kongo I would wipe their trade fleet and every time I would head back home to grab my second batch they would suicide cog my stack as it moved away. It was actually a good tactical decision for them sometimes to further delay me getting the rest of my troops over which gave them time to kill my first stack. Probably not WAD though.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm still on 1.12, playing Muscovy, and I haven't had a single Patriarch Authority event in 34 years. Anyone know what's up with that?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Jolan posted:

I'm still on 1.12, playing Muscovy, and I haven't had a single Patriarch Authority event in 34 years. Anyone know what's up with that?

You don't get patriarch authority events in 1.12, it's fixed in 1.13.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Oh goodie, another three hours of my life wasted on an incompatible save file then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So why the hell am I not allowed to colonize this? It is in range, I'm a proper monarchy in the Chinese tech group. Is there some hidden bullshit against pagans again? But I can clearly build ships and if this is intended the +1 colonist from ideas is UTTERLY WORTHLESS SINCE ONLY ONE PROVINCE IS IN RANGE OF YOUR CAPITAL! :mad:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Apoffys posted:

Yeah, I noticed that with the last patch as well.

Just to confirm, are local iron man games eligible for achievements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

:xcom:

(pretend that's Johan or Wiz's wizard face)

• Locked thread