Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Toxxupation posted:

I wonder if I'm cooler on ep 2 because I had already seen the season previews and thus the best scene in that episode about fifty times beforehand

Are the guys who think it's better than ep 1 go into these two episodes completely blind?

For me, yes. Episode 1 was fun, but I wish they had done more with the premise, like more variations. For how balls to the walls insane the show usually is, the episode was surprisingly straight forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I preferred the second episode, but have to admit that getting that one part spoiled did slightly lessen the impact. Time to rewatch them with some friends and see how hard we will piss our pants. :okpos:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Nooooooo!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

See to me ep 1 was classic RaM expansion and expansion of an initial premise until it got insane wringing every single last gasp of comedy out of it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I preferred the first episode (although they were both goddamn fantastic) and went into both blind. Btw do we know who played the time guy in the premiere? Thought that was Clement as Fart

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Toxxupation posted:

I wonder if I'm cooler on ep 2 because I had already seen the season previews and thus the best scene in that episode about fifty times beforehand

Yeah, that scene is definitely the highlight of the episode. Where's my wife?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Bown posted:

I preferred the first episode (although they were both goddamn fantastic) and went into both blind. Btw do we know who played the time guy in the premiere? Thought that was Clement as Fart

It was bugging me because it's such a distinct voice, I finally realized it was Keegan Michael Key.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Grizzlegrax posted:

For those who can't find the new episodes, here's two download links for them. I just finished the two of 'em and Got Dam were they solid!

This is probably a bad idea.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, maybe its a ten dollar lesson.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The best thing about the leaked episodes is the way they incorporate the old season into the new. It shows they still have a wealth of new ideas to explore, but that there's a tight continuity underneath. A lot of the first season felt like each episode was just totally independent from another, whereas the late season had some good callbacks and set up potential stories for a later date.

shinymodem
May 21, 2007
I'm hoping we get an update on the roaming Morty army some time this season.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I gotta say seeing the Roy: A Life Well Lived sequence in its complete state was nice.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
I can't believe how solid those eps were. Just had me smiling the entire time. If the rest of the season is half as good we are in for a good time. Wow.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bown posted:

Just got around to watch the leaked episodes and it slowly dawned on me it was Jemaine during the song and it put a big smile on my face. A cameo I would have never expected.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I love how this show is perfectly willing to just go nuts with any concept. Quantum uncertainty, alternate timelines/dimensions, 4th dimensional aliens are all just things that are going to happen and you better keep up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Just got around to watch the leaked episodes and it slowly dawned on me it was Jemaine during the song and it put a big smile on my face. A cameo I would have never expected.

Haha yeah it was absolutely the Bowie thing that was the biggest clue. Loved those songs too. How many episodes is this season again, 13?

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Bown posted:

Haha yeah it was absolutely the Bowie thing that was the biggest clue. Loved those songs too. How many episodes is this season again, 13?

It's just ten, so it's actually shorter than season one which was eleven episodes (ten plus the pilot)

The overall tone and style of the show's humor comes across as very Justin Roiland-y (he does voice the two main characters after all) but the whole split-screen gimmick was distinctly Dan Harmon-y and that's why I love seeing them work together.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I know Rick says there are an 'infinite' number of alternate dimensions, but I'd like to see them explore the idea that the not-so-infinite number of 'good' dimensions are running out. Think about it:

An infinite number of Rick and Mortys doing dumb poo poo that requires them to take the place of a 'fresh' universe. Eventually the number of virgin universes are going to start to decline, just like Peak Oil. So it will be Peak Dimension- the point in which the number of viable, cost-effective to exploit dimensions starts to decline.

Keep in mind its not just our Rick and Morty that are relying on a fresh restart to fix their problems; who knows how many other Rick and Mortys are pulling the same stunt!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If they are ever gonna hit 100 and get syndicated, they are going to need to pump out more than 10 a year. More like 20.

Doubt they can maintain quality at 20, though.

In other words, this will never make it to 100 so episode 1 was wishing thinking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should just make episode 100 anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waltzing Along posted:

If they are ever gonna hit 100 and get syndicated, they are going to need to pump out more than 10 a year. More like 20.

Doubt they can maintain quality at 20, though.

In other words, this will never make it to 100 so episode 1 was wishing thinking.

With the sheer amount of potential, the ability to come up with weird ideas, and their apparent desire to do some serious world building, they can make it to 100 episodes even with 10ish episodes a season I think. But if this season does well, they could bump it up and I don't know why you assume doom and gloom should there be a larger order.

Adult Swim shows have a strangely long lifespan and this has been the best one ever imo.

CelticPredator posted:

I'd love this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CelticPredator posted:

That would be a great final episode.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

With the sheer amount of potential, the ability to come up with weird ideas, and their apparent desire to do some serious world building, they can make it to 100 episodes even with 10ish episodes a season I think. But if this season does well, they could bump it up and I don't know why you assume doom and gloom should there be a larger order.

Adult Swim shows have a strangely long lifespan and this has been the best one ever imo.

Very few shows last 10 years. I'd love to see it last but being realistic, this will go 4 or 5 years tops.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

apparently rick and morty is adult swim's by far most popular original scripted program ever, so i could totally see it going forever

from what i understand it's to adult swim what south park was for CC on its debut, where it pulls in crazy numbers and critical acclaim that they never had before then

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waltzing Along posted:

Very few shows last 10 years. I'd love to see it last but being realistic, this will go 4 or 5 years tops.

Oh totally, that'd be a longshot. I just don't see why they'd not give it a larger order if the second season does well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh totally, that'd be a longshot. I just don't see why they'd not give it a larger order if the second season does well.

Because it takes a little bit to make good stories. Which I'd rather have that than a bunch of rushed ones.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Yeah. This could easily hit 100 if they do full "network" seasons. Would only take six seasons.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CelticPredator posted:

Because it takes a little bit to make good stories. Which I'd rather have that than a bunch of rushed ones.

I think that's really giving the show and its staff too little credit. It's not some insane notion to think that they could come up another ten stories per season, and even if they gave them 15 episodes from now on 100 episodes seems obtainable.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

two possible reasons: dan harmon has/had a full-time gig somewhere else and physically runs the writer's room on R and M, so even with his admitted lessened involvement in season two (he was much less hands-on because he was working so much on community) it might've been a situation where the writers were waiting on dan's input, which he couldn't give because he physically wasn't there

also, rick and morty and community share writers (ryan ridley most prominently), so it could've been a situation where the writers were literally working somewhere else

second possible reason: you'd need to ask typical about this but from the level of animation detail and general animation quality on this show i imagine episode turnarounds take a LOT longer than on, say, a really simply animated show like ATHF on even South Park (which the latter looks great, let me be clear) which are done almost entirely in flash with stock character templates, i'm completely out of my depth here because i'm not an animator but from the way rick and morty looks it just looks like it'd take longer than the week-or-less turnaround on an ep of south park

also i think the whole show is animated in-house at starburns? which is a relatively tiny studio that was co-founded by harmon, so i'd imagine that if that's true and they don't outsource to Korea/whatever episodes take forever to animate

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Toxxupation posted:

apparently rick and morty is adult swim's by far most popular original scripted program ever, so i could totally see it going forever

from what i understand it's to adult swim what south park was for CC on its debut, where it pulls in crazy numbers and critical acclaim that they never had before then

If it becomes overly successful won't Dan Harmon inevitably burn it to the ground over pressure to keep it overly successful?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soylentbits posted:

If it becomes overly successful won't Dan Harmon inevitably burn it to the ground over pressure to keep it overly successful?

1) when has he done this 2) when has he ever had an "overly successful" program before

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Soylentbits posted:

Community never really burned itself down, just burned itself out. I think the only reason why that show gets such a bad rep later on is because it attracted a more exacting audience.

Toxxupation posted:

2) when has he ever had an "overly successful" program before

Also this, even when Community was at its peak it was not exactly doing gangbusters

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

and even then the most recent season of community was generally regarded as at least a return to form for the show as a whole and by many is considered the second-or-third best season of the show as a whole

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought Community was cancelled years ago. Why is it still on? Was some doofus at NBC convinced by the five internet nerds who are the only watchers that the show is worth continuing?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought Community was cancelled years ago. Why is it still on? Was some doofus at NBC convinced by the five internet nerds who are the only watchers that the show is worth continuing?

It isn't on NBC anymore, their latest season was on Yahoo.

Though frankly if NBC was basing their decisions on YouTube comments they'd probably be better.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Waltzing Along posted:

actually NBC cancelled it, Yahoo picked it up, and somehow it turns out there were millions of internet nerds watching the whole time I think

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Toxxupation posted:

1) when has he done this 2) when has he ever had an "overly successful" program before

I thought that was what happened on The Sarah Silverman Show. The show started doing well and he became really difficult to work with and Sarah fired him because she couldn't handle him anymore.

Edit: Feel free to correct me. I was interpreting what I had heard on the Harmontown podcast and I could be totally off.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cybershell posted:

actually NBC cancelled it, Yahoo picked it up, and somehow it turns out there were millions of internet nerds watching the whole time I think

Naw. Same five nerds watching it millions of times.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw. Same five nerds watching it millions of times.

I can confirm I watched each episode but once so those other four nerds must be incredible superfans.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Despite the characters being silly and humorous, they really know how to make some genuinely impressive looking (and sounding) sci-fi action scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't know how you can hate Community and love Rick and Morty other than being a contrarian.

• Locked thread