Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wasn't one of the very first things Arkham City had you do to counter someone as Bruce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Arkham Knight confirms the Riddler has one giant Freudian complex going on. When you confront him in person he screams DIE FATHER!- I mean Batman.... It cracked me up like a loving idiot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wasn't one of the very first things Arkham City had you do to counter someone as Bruce?

Sure, but its in a prison and not in the public eye. Plus it was probably him or them, and Bruce doesnt kill.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yes, and I was talking about Arkham Knight in my post. People in the Arkham Knight thread made this exact post too and I just don't get why.

But really it doesn't matter since I was wrong anyway.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

princecoo posted:

Also each pullup took like 3 or 4 seconds each, and you'd get "tired" after a while and have to climb up, then climb back down to reset your grip-meter. To do it took a stupid amount of time.

I think I did this once and each pullup took around 1 second to do and wasn't that bad. Maxing them out takes like 5 minutes.

Breaking news: goons hate pullups.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
In non-Batman related news, I've been replaying Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for the ~20th time and finally came to appreciate a rather nice aspect of the game. As you progress through the game, the villagers of the starting town will move locations and have changed dialogue. Some of them even appear in other places on the overworld. It's such a little thing that brings the primitive Gameboy-era sprites to life, and makes the ending of the game that much more bittersweet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lotish posted:

Yeah, in previous games you could counter fine with Bruce, and there's an entire DLC challenge campaign for Origins of Bruce Wayne when he was a League of Shadows trainee just clowning the poo poo out of thugs and ninjas without the suit.

Now are you saying 'There was a DLC campaign in Arkham Orgins about Bruce Wayne as a trainee' or 'There's a DLC campaign about the Orgins of Bruce Wayne as a trainee' ?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

I think I did this once and each pullup took around 1 second to do and wasn't that bad. Maxing them out takes like 5 minutes.

While I also did the dumb pullups for no reason, I want to point out that your name, avatar, and av text are all MGS-themed so you may have a slightly skewed perspective :v:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe it's because I kind of marathoned my way through Arkham Knight over the last few days but I don't remember any segments where you play as Bruce Wayne. When does that happen?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game just came out so I can't find any video of it on Youtube from my poor searching skills but as penance here's a video of the mod that lets you play as Bruce in free-roam I was talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZ7cYa65u8
(at 35:00)

And apparently, in the mod, you actually can't counter people as Bruce either which is not a bug but is just because you're not meant to free roam as him. As I have been using the mod to gently caress around, that's probably where my confusion on that specific matter came from.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RareAcumen posted:

Now are you saying 'There was a DLC campaign in Arkham Orgins about Bruce Wayne as a trainee' or 'There's a DLC campaign about the Orgins of Bruce Wayne as a trainee' ?

The first one.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Veotax posted:

Maybe it's because I kind of marathoned my way through Arkham Knight over the last few days but I don't remember any segments where you play as Bruce Wayne. When does that happen?

The only part I can recall is one of the side quests has you investigating a missing Lucius Fox. Except you play Hush in that segment and there's no combat involved.

Ive still got the last 10% of the story to finish though.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
A couple of my favorite moments from Arkham Knight so far involve the (story spoiler) Joker hallucinations. Someone mentioned Bruce's answering machine in Wayne Tower, well if you keep playing it past the regular messages you get one from Joker pretending to be Bruce's father chiding Bruce for running around town in a bat costume. Listen to the next message and this time Joker pretends to be Bruce's mom, doing a falsetto voice and everything, but he cracks up laughing before he can finish the message.

The other moment has to do with the side mission about ManBat. The game introduces you to him with a jumpscare when you grapple onto a certain ledge. Well, several hours later, I'm swinging around in that part of town and just happen to grapple to the same ledge again. The game throws ANOTHER jumpscare at you, only this time it's Joker, who laughs at you and then makes fun of you for getting startled the first time.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Vic Boss posted:

I hate dumb video game pullups that do not matter.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

In terms of a little thing I wish was in AK, there was a bit where Batman was very obviously going to get cornered in a little room so I put some explosive gel around the door but the game ignored that. At least he had the sense to go and hide, but I wanted to blow up some fools.

Oh, and more praise for the Batmobile, in tunnels you can drive on the loving ceiling. Sometimes you have to.

Oh, and Batmobile spoilers. "Where's the Batmobile?" "It was destroyed." "Oh no!" "Don't worry, Lucius made a spare." Spare Batmobile arrives, kicks rear end Also it looks very shiny and chrome.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

McDragon posted:

In terms of a little thing I wish was in AK, there was a bit where Batman was very obviously going to get cornered in a little room so I put some explosive gel around the door but the game ignored that. At least he had the sense to go and hide, but I wanted to blow up some fools.

The Batman game should not punish you for being too good at batmanning. This is hosed up

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
You don't want to go down the rabbit hole of "this game will make you plan ahead as much as Batman does," unless you enjoy "Bruce Wayne bids on a kryptonite ring on ebay and then waits for his geologist to certify it" DLC.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

David Copperfield posted:

You don't want to go down the rabbit hole of "this game will make you plan ahead as much as Batman does," unless you enjoy "Bruce Wayne bids on a kryptonite ring on ebay and then waits for his geologist to certify it" DLC.

That actually sounds like the setup for a fun $2.50 Steam sale game, playing as Batman preparing to do things. :v:

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax
The part in Planescape Torment where you wake up on a mortuary slab and a chatty bobbing skull floats over to ask if you're putting blinders on the Dusties.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Scandalous Wench posted:

The part in Planescape Torment where you wake up on a mortuary slab and a chatty bobbing skull floats over to ask if you're putting blinders on the Dusties.

And then said floating skeleton talks about wanting to gently caress the shambling animated corpses that staff the mortuary, complete with awful puns and the ability to point out the logistical problems of having sex without a body or organs.

Also later on in the game you can gain the ability to talk to the dead and if you come back and talk to all the different corpses you find out that one of them was a party member of yours in one of your previous incarnations and you can get a bunch of cool backstory and experience learning about what you did together.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You can also hire a harlot to polish your floating skull friend.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

swamp waste posted:

The Batman game should not punish you for being too good at batmanning. This is hosed up

If it's the part I'm thinking of it's immaterial to just pop out and fear takedown 40% of the room immediately.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

And your previous you stashed some emergency supplies into one of the zombies, number 42 to be exact. Must have been some time ago, since one of the recent stiffs hauling around some ledgers is #1664. Of course, the right one is a skeleton by now, and doing the secret unlock (voice recognition, cross arms) flips its ribcage open like a saloon door where you can reach around (through a portal, of course) to pull out a rag bundle with a sharp knife, healing charms and some money in it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

You can also hire a harlot to polish your floating skull friend.

Having a wisecracking floating skull sidekick is something that could have become monkey cheese so easily but Morte owned. He attacks by biting people and you upgrade him with new sets of teeth! He can interrupt spellcasters by insulting them so badly that it breaks their concentration! He's voiced by Rob Paulsen! And then they have to go and give your skelebro way more pathos than he has any right having.

scamtank posted:

And your previous you stashed some emergency supplies into one of the zombies, number 42 to be exact. Must have been some time ago, since one of the recent stiffs hauling around some ledgers is #1664. Of course, the right one is a skeleton by now, and doing the secret unlock (voice recognition, cross arms) flips its ribcage open like a saloon door where you can reach around (through a portal, of course) to pull out a rag bundle with a sharp knife, healing charms and some money in it.

I think my favorite time when a past you helps you out is if you gently caress up and wind up getting banished to an inescapable maze, where you find a journal that a past version of yourself made out of his own flesh and wrote with in his own blood as he spent countless lifetimes figuring out the solution to escape.

...man I am going to be so sad if Planescape 2 winds up being as disappointing as Wasteland 2 was.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What was the name of the voice actor for the skull?

smnsuperstar
Jan 8, 2009
Back on the original playstation there was a game called "Test drive: Offroad", my brother and I used to love it.

Anyway, You could choose your off road cars and the Jeep was next to the Hummer, if you switched between them real quick it would say the name of the cars as you switch. So for a good five minutes as we mucked around, it'd say, "Jeep Hummer, Je Je Je Jeep Hummer". And then for the next fifteen years, I always thought there was a car called the Jeep hummer.

Additionally on one track in the game you could break through the fence and just free roam.. Good times.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Sleeveless posted:

I think my favorite time when a past you helps you out is if you gently caress up and wind up getting banished to an inescapable maze, where you find a journal that a past version of yourself made out of his own flesh and wrote with in his own blood as he spent countless lifetimes figuring out the solution to escape.

...and since it was the paranoid fearful crazy killer one of the major three personalities that got near the answer (among all the other "incarnations" that your mind got shuffled into by dying a million times), of course the blood scribbles on the stretched human skin are just a ruse. The real journal is carved into the bone frames.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

amityville anus posted:

What was the name of the voice actor for the skull?

His name was Rober... Oh, I see, ha ha.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Dragon Ball Xenoverse is exactly what it should be: gloriously stupid, and taking every opportunity to be even more gloriously stupid. The game's story is that your character's being sent through history to correct anomalies in the timeline, but Trunks' approach to it as he directs you through your trips seems to always be 'eh, good enough'. As far as he cares, as long as the right side of a battle wins, it doesn't matter how horribly wrong the sequence of events that led to it was. Which basically makes the entire game a playable twelve-year-old's self-insert fanfic, which is exactly what you want.

But in my book, it kicked up a notch when you get to the Ginyu Force. The big part of that whole saga is when Ginyu swaps bodies with Goku, so you know that's coming and can anticipate that it'll be a hard fight, since Goku's one of the harder opponents to fight when the AI pulls him out. It goes to a cutscene for that, and you watch it happen... only for one of the other Ginyus to accidentally knock you into the way of the attack. What follows is three different missions where you're playing as Captain Ginyu instead of your Original Character Do Not Steal, two of them against yourself. It's the only time I've seen that the AI actually gets to play as your character, and it will actually do so very well, making full use of all your moves. It's a cool way to do something with the appeal of a mirror match, but without actually being a mirror match. It's also really the only way to do that part of things in a way that improves it in a game like this, so I really like that they deviated in exactly that way.

...And then after you complete the Ginyu Saga you get the ability to train under Ginyu and learn the body-swap technique, because the game refuses to disappoint your wildest, stupidest hopes. You can also unlock Ginyu and Goku costumes for Goku and Ginyu, too.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Jul 1, 2015

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Summoners War App, picking up and moving your monsters around, either in an attempt to organize them, or to watch their animation

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trunks is so loving bad at time travel. Like, god drat, that dude fucks up time travel as a full time job.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Some militia in Arkham Knight randomly burst out "Hey guys, we did it! We're trending! #CityOfFear, everyone share your photos!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cleretic posted:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is exactly what it should be: gloriously stupid, and taking every opportunity to be even more gloriously stupid. The game's story is that your character's being sent through history to correct anomalies in the timeline, but Trunks' approach to it as he directs you through your trips seems to always be 'eh, good enough'. As far as he cares, as long as the right side of a battle wins, it doesn't matter how horribly wrong the sequence of events that led to it was. Which basically makes the entire game a playable twelve-year-old's self-insert fanfic, which is exactly what you want.

But in my book, it kicked up a notch when you get to the Ginyu Force. The big part of that whole saga is when Ginyu swaps bodies with Goku, so you know that's coming and can anticipate that it'll be a hard fight, since Goku's one of the harder opponents to fight when the AI pulls him out. It goes to a cutscene for that, and you watch it happen... only for one of the other Ginyus to accidentally knock you into the way of the attack. What follows is three different missions where you're playing as Captain Ginyu instead of your Original Character Do Not Steal, two of them against yourself. It's the only time I've seen that the AI actually gets to play as your character, and it will actually do so very well, making full use of all your moves. It's a cool way to do something with the appeal of a mirror match, but without actually being a mirror match. It's also really the only way to do that part of things in a way that improves it in a game like this, so I really like that they deviated in exactly that way.

...And then after you complete the Ginyu Saga you get the ability to train under Ginyu and learn the body-swap technique, because the game refuses to disappoint your wildest, stupidest hopes. You can also unlock Ginyu and Goku costumes for Goku and Ginyu, too.

A legit strategy in ranked multiplayer, when I played, was to make a total garbage lv1 character with no moves except Body Swap and maybe some token poses. Then, when you get put against a max-level rear end in a top hat, Body Swap him and use his minmaxed character to wreck his rear end while he's trapped in your tiny useless fat man. The tears were delicious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mazerunner posted:

Some militia in Arkham Knight randomly burst out "Hey guys, we did it! We're trending! #CityOfFear, everyone share your photos!"

Similarly, sometimes the cops keeping watch over the police station will be taking selfies with the Batmobile when you walk out. Gotham is very technologically conscious! :haw:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I've been playing Ground Zeroes again to finish up before Phantom Pain comes out, and the lethal-headshot sound effect(s) are absolutely devastating. It's like this multipart bone crunch that makes me a little ill even though I know it's just pixelmans. Just another reason to harmlessly CQC people into restful slumber :downs:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Terraria 1.3 released the other day and in addition to over 800 new items, an entirely new difficulty level, and Steamworks integration it now has :pcgaming:laser mining:pcgaming:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

Similarly, sometimes the cops keeping watch over the police station will be taking selfies with the Batmobile when you walk out. Gotham is very technologically conscious! :haw:

I saw on Twitter that there's a lore entry (not sure what it actually is, I haven't played Knight) of the Riddler getting harassed by an internet hate mob called CrusaderGate.

EDIT: vv Figures I'm wrong, but still.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Jul 2, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I saw on Twitter that there's a lore entry (not sure what it actually is, I haven't played Knight) of the Riddler getting harassed by an internet hate mob called CrusaderGate.

No he tried to start it thinking he could turn the internet's ire at-large against Batman. It did not go well for the Riddler.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No he tried to start it thinking he could turn the internet's ire at-large against Batman. It did not go well for the Riddler.

Obviously. Like the only two things everyone on the internet agrees on is Batman being cool and people falling down is in general funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

Obviously. Like the only two things everyone on the internet agrees on is Batman being cool and people falling down is in general funny.

I think he lame as gently caress. Sorry bro