Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

poxin posted:

Spun up a dedicated server. Details in Private Game Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728802

Aren't you the guy that hosed over the other server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Thinking of just starting a new world on not-expert mode because getting instagibbed constantly is getting kind of old.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

benzine posted:

Got a super yoyo from Mothra!
I got a Godly one. 161 damage, 30 more than my goddamn Legendary Terra Blade. I don't understand how a Yo-yo is more effective than a legendary sword-laser, but I digress.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Has anyone figured out the strange plants stuff for the dye trader yet?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Walrus Pete posted:

Yes! Bosses drop a treasure bag with a unique item in it (seems to be one item per boss, unless I got really unlucky). Both people in my game got the item when I opened the treasure bag, which is rad. Either that or it dropped two bags and I didn't notice.

The Eye of Cthulhu's expert mode drop is really cool.

oh HELL yeah.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Someone posted a guide to fishing in the old thread and I can't find it. Might be something to add to the OP.

Also I haven't tried Expert yet because I barely have a Titanium pickaxe and my son and I keep starting over

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Played a lot today on a new world, expert and it's really not that bad. In fact, it feels just about right - the start is much more painful than before, but that makes it more rewarding when you do finally start to work your way to normalcy.

I do worry that hard mode might be a nightmare, since really, Expert at the start just of feels like Hard mode's difficulty range in terms of how stuff hits. We'll see I guess.

I really like the wandering traders that stroll through your town. Also: new deserts are pretty drat savage, at least early on. Rushing for my cactus armor actually earned me a few deaths.

Anyway, having loads of fun and my mind literally breaks a bit trying to process how much poo poo I have to do, which is a good feeling. A full solo campaign of this game has to be inching toward 100+ hours now, right?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

90s Shoes posted:

A full solo campaign of this game has to be inching toward 100+ hours now, right?
At least. My full solo campaign back in 1.2 was 150ish.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Oh hey

My 3rd blood moon in a row

It's not like I actually want to do anything at night. My only good weapon is a platinum bow right now.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
King slime spawned in our new multiplayer world. Could barely dent his 7k hp and watched him teleport around the map when we tried to lead him away from our base. Spent most of the time sitting afk dead. Incredibly unfun.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is there enough new at all stages of the game for starting over to even make sense? Or are things mostly late game?

I'm thinking of trying to carefully choose a few nice quality-of-life super-grindy-to-make accessories to bring over from an existing character to make things a bit nicer/shorter (ankh shield? bundle of balloons?) but otherwise starting mostly-again without much weapons/armor. Is this a reasonable strategy for a guy who doesn't have another 100 hours to burn anymore?

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
I've seen stuff about Terraria all over the place and after reading this thread, I finally decided to buy it. Got it on steam. I have a mac. Goddammit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How does Expert Mode compare to Normal? I haven't played since 1.2 was just released.

E: Also, is there a way to select which biome differences you get, other than just jamming on worldgen until you get what you want? I've never really experienced Crimson and the first 1.3 world I made has Corruption, I kind of want to experience something "new".

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 1, 2015

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

^^^

Things seem to hit harder, have more HP, lots of blood moons. Bosses all have new attacks (I've seen new eye of cthulu and he is no longer an "I have shurikens and a bow I can beat him" boss)

New items exclusive to it and better drops apparently.

I'm not sure what's normal content new to 1.3 though, since I've only been on expert. That's pretty much what I've noticed playing.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 1, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Sorry was out for a bit and missed the update, my server is up to date now.

If anyone is being a giant dick again, shoot me a PM or a whisper on SynIRC (sholin), I'll ban em.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Expert Skeletron is complete bullshit. hits hard enough to still wreck me in adamantine armor, jesus christ.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

C-Euro posted:

E: Also, is there a way to select which biome differences you get, other than just jamming on worldgen until you get what you want? I've never really experienced Crimson and the first 1.3 world I made has Corruption, I kind of want to experience something "new".

When you make a new world, and it's doing the whole 'making caves, spreading grass, building structures' thing, the graphic of the progress bar is the kind of biome you'll get. If it's red and toothy on the left, you'll have crimson. If it's purple, it's corruption. Also, on the world select screen, the little tree icon will show the state of the world. Red and green, purple and green, if it's red/green/yellow or purple/green/yellow it's in Hardmode.

Edit: if that's what you mean by jamming on worldgen, no, there's no better way that I've seen. It's about a 50/50 anyway, so it shouldn't take long to get whichever evil biome you prefer. Personally I like corruption way more than crimson.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

1) Can I convert an existing world to Expert Mode?

2) Does Expert Mode have its own Hard Mode?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

legoman727 posted:

Expert Skeletron is complete bullshit. hits hard enough to still wreck me in adamantine armor, jesus christ.

Adamantine? He 2 or 3-shots me wearing shroomite or turtle armor. I'm going to try my tried-and-true gravity potion kiting bullshit and see if that's any better

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Got owned by Eye of Cthulhu in expert :smith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

His expert mode drop is just a glove that lets you throw bones harder. 12+20 damage, not particularly fast speed and bouncing shots

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

S.T.C.A. posted:

1) Can I convert an existing world to Expert Mode?

2) Does Expert Mode have its own Hard Mode?

No.

Yes. Expert mode is just a more difficult version of the normal progression.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
Thinking about buying the Android version. Is it worth buying or does it suck on mobile?

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Plenty of people like it on mobile, but I can't personally imagine not playing it on a pc.

Also, I don't think the new update is out for anything but PC yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I found a acc. that lets you make vine ropes, a wimpy little wand and made a yo-yo.

That's about all the new stuff that I've found so far.

I wish I wasn't so poo poo at making homes. They're square box rooms with slanted ends on the far sides.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I've taken the time exploring the 1.3 world to do some building.

A boreal wood cabin built into the side of a mountain. Maybe I'll try to build that mountain up higher, and build an ice castle into it. I'll also see what new building materials I can incorporate into it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

So do you need to make a new character for that dedicated server or can I just bring my post-hardmode character on?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excelzior posted:

I made a world to sate my OCD, dug out trenches around the corruption, etc...

when I got to Hell (gorgeous new background!) my pets instantly killed a Voodoo demon

now I'm in Hard mode and my trenches aren't lined with wood :negative:

How wide do the trenches need to be to keep corruption/hallow from spreading? 5 blocks wide with a crafted block covering to prevent enemies from spitting their poo poo on to it to spread it?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I walk to the left and find a living tree, instantly several NPCs move into it as soon as I Set a torch down. Guess I'll be building here. Since it's been ages since I played I have a few questions: first off is there any easy way to make infinite liquids these days? Like for decorative waterfalls and such? Secondly, what's the deal with wooden trench talk for hardmode. I never really understood that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

How wide do the trenches need to be to keep corruption/hallow from spreading? 5 blocks wide with a crafted block covering to prevent enemies from spitting their poo poo on to it to spread it?

I'd like to know this as well- my plan right now is new Expert world, poo poo all over it unlocking stuff, get the awesome drill mount, then use that mount to trench the *crap* out of my decorative world

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Crawltipedes, the worm enemy during the solar part of the end of the world event, are the dumbest thing ever and I hope they get a balance pass.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
This game is delightfully difficult if you do a fresh expert character. Really makes you think carefully about your actions and it DOES give me that "gently caress GOD DAMNIT I CAN DO THIS" that dark souls always gave me. 11/10 would smash face into enemies endlessly again.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

FraudulentEconomics posted:

This game is delightfully difficult if you do a fresh expert character. Really makes you think carefully about your actions and it DOES give me that "gently caress GOD DAMNIT I CAN DO THIS" that dark souls always gave me. 11/10 would smash face into enemies endlessly again.

At least until the endgame hits and the flying saucer enemies are hitting you for 300 damage a pop. Then it's just frustrating.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I think I last played this game back when there was no hard mode or whatever the hell that stuff they added is. Back then I remember I spent most of my time exploring caves and poo poo looking for loot. What I'm wondering is if any of these updates added more stuff to do that doesn't involve walking into a cave and getting murdered. I like that stuff but I'm home for summer and looking for games to play with my little brother. He's absolutely terrible at games like this though and would no doubt die over and over in the caves, so I'm wondering if there's anything he could do that doesn't involve a bunch of combat but would still feel like contributing to our mutual survival.

EDIT: Other than building a crappy house for the NPCs, obviously.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

So I think I last played this game back when there was no hard mode or whatever the hell that stuff they added is. Back then I remember I spent most of my time exploring caves and poo poo looking for loot. What I'm wondering is if any of these updates added more stuff to do that doesn't involve walking into a cave and getting murdered. I like that stuff but I'm home for summer and looking for games to play with my little brother. He's absolutely terrible at games like this though and would no doubt die over and over in the caves, so I'm wondering if there's anything he could do that doesn't involve a bunch of combat but would still feel like contributing to our mutual survival.

EDIT: Other than building a crappy house for the NPCs, obviously.

If you pick softcore you don't lose your items on death. Honestly after a point I tend to just leap into lava pits just for an easy warp back to my spawn because my inventory is overflowing with loot. There's a ton of exploration to do and bosses to kill and stuff, but a lot of this game is generally digging through different flavors of cave and gather as much loot as you can to build the fanciest home you want.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
wormhole potion owns

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've always thought you needed 3 empty spaces past a crafted block to handle the vines. I usually do 1 layer of wood/3 empty spaces/1 layer of wood. Haven't had any surprises so far

p.s. the murder of crows build owns even more with an added accessory slot :c00l:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
You don't need to line your trenches. As long as there are 4 empty tiles between the two sides nothing can spread across it.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So I haven't played this game in a long time, probably close to a year and half. Was there a patch or update since 1.2 that deleted your worlds? All of mine are gone, my characters are still there though. I guess it doesn't really matter since I was going to start from scratch anyways but all of my cool castles are now gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jabarto posted:

You don't need to line your trenches. As long as there are 4 empty tiles between the two sides nothing can spread across it.

:shrug: oh well, it looks nice and tidy