Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

So Vlad's a vampire right? A secret vampire? I mean, it's about as blatant as it can get without waving a flag that says "VAMPIRE HERE"

Nope, all Warmachine vampires are elfs and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

fool_of_sound posted:

Nope, all Warmachine vampires are elfs and weird.

Are you talking about Goreshade the Bastard Idiot?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kurieg posted:

Are you talking about Goreshade the Bastard Idiot?

In the grand tradition of Cryx casters, he got his epic incarnation after getting punked like a baby.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Doresh posted:

I really have no idea what they were thinking when they came up with that needlessy granular percentile skill system. Or why they turned that one wolf dude from FF5 and 6 into an entire race.

To be fair, that WAS an entire race in FF5. As much of a race as Dwarves have been in Final Fantasy at least. :v: By which I mean a single village and one important guy and that's about it.

Honestly one of the things I lovehate most about that book is that they tried to include every goddamn race, even the mouse-people from FF9.

I don't have the time to get into it anytime soon, unfortunately, any write-up I'd do will be months off. :(

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warmachine Prime Mk. II

The Cryx text is written by Darragh Wrathe of Cryx. Cryx is in service to Lord Toruk, the Dragon God. Toruk's ancient plan is now reaching its final stages, and Cryx exists to ensure his vision is realized. The Dragonfather's goal is simple: he's going to take over the world. Cryx has hidden its strength for a millenium, to avoid humanity uniting against it and delaying the inevitable and unstoppable success of the Dragonfather. Now, with every gunshot, the numbers of Cryx grow. Death strengthens them as it saps their foes, and nothing can stop them and their tide of blood and plague. Every village is a lgion, every city slaughtered a fortress gained. No army is more loyal. But they do not war for the sake of conquest - Cryx has no care for resources or land. Everything they have is a weapon to be expended in the name of Lord Toruk, every resource committed to Toruk's total victory. Good service is rewarded with existence beyond death, while poor service means your bones will fuel the engines of necromancy and your soul the fires of power.

Toruk himself is old beyond mortal comprehension. The only creatures worthy of his attention are his children, who alone have the power to hinder his goals. In a time long before all that live, Lord Toruk was alone, and thus sought to duplicate his own perfection by creating a brood to serve him. He took his essence, his heart-stone, the athanc, and he divided it into slivers of living crystal, from which the dragons were born. The essence of them was, however, too pure - they could not humble themselves, even before their creator. Each considered itself a god and would not bow to the Dragonfather. Instead, they turned on him, and he realized his mistake only after they attacked. This was the War of the Dragons, a battle that has persisted for millenia. Over the centuries, Toruk has slowly annihilated his children, with each kill restoring a fraction of his athanc. The names of the fallen are forgotten in some cases, but Cryx known of the deat h of Shakzk over the island that would become Satyx, and the death of Gaulvang, but there have been others. Each was a mighty serpent that died under Toruk's claws, leaving their searing blood to mark the land as reminder to others. However, the dragons realized the inevitability of their destruction. Even the mightiest could not, alone, face Toruk. Sixteen centuries ago, the survivors put aside their differences to create an alliance. Acting as one, they struck and the skies burned.

Toruk is, of course, immortal and imperishable, but he could not defeat the dragons, nor they him. At last, Toruk conceded and withdrew, descending on the Scharde Islands, where he built his empire. For sixteen centuries, Cryx has evolved with Toruk shaping all aspects of life and death, forged as a weapon to end the Dragon War. Toruk is not alone, for there are among Cryxians his greatest servants, witness to all of history in their immortal undeath. The Dragonfather has left rule of Cryx to his twelve lich lords, who stand above all others. Once, you see, fourteen pirate kings ruled the Scharde Islands. When Lord Toruk came, they were fools and could not recognize his power. Each thought themself a master of a great fleet, and together, they tried to defeat Toruk. He could have annihilated them, but he knew he needed the seeds of empire. He sent an emissary with his demands, but the pirate kings slew the messenger. The mightiest of these kingds was Threnodax, and it was he who led the others in defiance.

Among the fleets was one ship mightier than the rest: Atramentous, once a Tordor warship stolen by Threnodax as his flagship. Even then, it had a reputation for terror. Toruk chose to take this vessel and turn its crew against their king. He came to the Atramentous and slew the crew and captain in one blast of flame. He took their souls and gave them new life in death, making them revenants bound to the ship such that it could retain them even past the destruction of their flesh. This was Toruk's lesson on the futility of resistance. The ghost ship came to the pirate kings in the fortress of Darkmoor, its unliving crew setting the harbor ablaze and culling the living crewmen. Each death added to their number. Thirteen of the kings gathered in a fortress tower to watch in horror. The only one absent was King Moorcraig, who had perhaps heard of the Dragon God's coming from some oracle. His time would come soon enough.

The Dragon King smashed the fortress to ruin with his weight, leaving only the kings' tower. All but Threnodax bowed in fear, but he alonbe spoke defiance. Toruk consumed them all in one breath, but the twelve who had bowed were reborn, their souls enslaved as the first lich lords, Toruk's new vassals. Threnodax was consumed for special torment, and perhaps still dances in endless agony today. Moorcraig hid within his castle, hoping his ancient relics would save him. The Dragonfather destroyed the castle and Moorcraig in terrible fire. The lich lords, for their part, wasted no time founding the empire, privy to the secrets of the Dragonfather. Their efforts gave rise to an unstoppable army and a unique nation, worthy of Toruk and capable of defeating his wayward progeny. Few of the original lich lords remain today, but Rouk ensures there are always only twelve. He allows them to rise and fall by their virtue and ambition, with the weak destroyed by the strong, who replace them.

In the early centuries, the lich lords divided governance between themselves, each finding a role in the empire. They gathered and united servants with their new powers, bringing the pirate holds and villages to heel and making examples of the resistors. They crushed whatever petty religions these fools clung to, giving them a choice: serve in life, or serve forever in death. Toruk became the sole god of the islands. He began a tradition of occult lore and organization, of which the latest generation are the inheritors, translated by such undead masters as Daeamortus, Asphyxious, Tenebrus, Fulmenus, Venethrax, Morbus and Corripio. They have mastered the arts of reanimation and soul extraction, using those potent energies to reshape the land and people themselves. Some call it blight, and it seeps into all things, inevitably, the brand of the Dragon God. Other servants were gathered for knowledge, potential and martial skill. They helped the lich lords raise armies and conquer. One of the first sent to the mainland was the iron lich Asphyxious, who had a great mastery of death. He was not one of the pirate kings, but dates back to that era, and Toruk saw he was a peerless weapon, gaining a form like that of the lich lords to perform his mission.

The arrival of Orgoth, however, gave pause to the lich lords. They decided to wait, bide their time and strengthem themselves while Orgoth broke the mainlanders. The Orgoth came to the Scharde, but Toruk sent their ships to the bottom of the sea, still burning. He chose to allow them to occupy the island of Garlghast, but any ship heading through Windwatcher's Passage was destroyed utterly. The Orgoth were worthy foes, and they were carefully observed to see why Toruk willed patience rather than immediate destruction. For over two centuries, they watched the mainlanders rebel and fail, over and over, and they learned much. They learned of mainlander tactics and skills, and through it came invention. Even though the lich ;ords had created an entire occult science to perfect their war machines, they were not so arrogant to refuse useful innovations. They have always turned the tools of their foes against them, after all. When the colossals fell against the Orgoth, Cryxian agents stole their debris and the corpses of their controllers. By this, they learned how to make their own war engines.

They have fueled all industries with the advancements of the mechaniks of the mainland. When one of them dies, Cryx is there to steal the corpse and the soul for secrets. Through necromechanikal principles, they have created the thralls, bonejacks and helljacks. They mine necrotite from those places of mass torture and death, where life energy bleeds into the mud and stone themselves. It is a great resource, but even moreso are the souls of the living, which are fuel for the engines. When the Orgoth were finally driven back to their stronghold on Garlghast, Drer Drakkerung, by the mainlanders, Toruk was ready. For years, the necrotechs of Skell, Dreggsmouth and Blackwater had made weapons to equal those of Orgoth, and while the invaders were wizards of great skill, and their corpses proved resistant to interrogation, subtlety defeated them.

At last, the forces of Cryx attacked. The mainlanders foolishly believe they set the Orgoth fleeing across the Meredius sea, but it was only the first blow. The final victory was at the hands of Cryx at Garlghast, when five lich lords led the battle ten thousand soldiers strong. It was an immense power, unrivaled in all of Caen. The Orgoth sought to leave ruin alone in their wake, that none might profit from their defeat. When they saw they were losing, they invoked a final conflagration to try and destroy themselves and Cryx alike. Drer Drakkerung was blown open in a massive eruption that slew three lich lords instnatly. The two survivors were forever changed, forced into sleep after the near destruction of their physical forms, and their minds were forever warped, unsuitable for war. They serve still, but now in Skell, where their minds contemplate deeper mysteries. Toruk deemed this a fair price - even the loss of so great an army was inconsequential to his plan. But time would needed to recover. Time is nothing to the dead, so this was no problem.

At last, the secrets of the Orgoth were torn from their dead. The lich lord Terminus personally found their method of making the blackships, revolutionizing Cryx naval warfare and giving birth to the modern Black Fleet. Even now, the other nations are unaware of the full strength of Cryx's navy. The pirates that threaten their coasts are but a fraction of the true power that waits. Toruk chose that time to extend control into the continent, choosing Daeamortus and Terminus to replace the fallen generals at Garlghast. Under their supervision, Cryxian influence was extended throughout Immoren, searching for the Dragon's children.

Today, even Cryx's apparent defeats at Highgate, Ceryl and Westwatch are part of Toruk's plans. The loss of an army is nothing. His brood is arrogant, but shrewd, not revealing itself openly. They hide among men, lashing out at those that get close. Each holds a sliver of Toruk's power and immortality, and even the last dragon is a match for legions. Cryx knows the general locations of several dragons. Blighterghast is the nearest, haunting the southern Wyrmwall mountains, always watching Cryx. It was the first to organize the lesser spawn against Toruk, and even now it watches to be sure Toruk does not stir, or it will summon the others to fight. Discovering Blighterghast's lairs has proven difficult, however, as it hides its movements among those of Cygnar's navy and army, though it knows Cygnar would slay it as much as Cryx would, so it has not interfered with them. Thus, to get to Blighterghast, the fleets of Cygnar must first be destroyed. Thralls await in the mountains for that day, when Blighterghast can be rooted out, but it may not be the best initial target.

Other spawn are further - including Scarfang and Halfaug, who roam Khador and Rhul. Others dwell on the remote end of the Abyss. These are but mere annoyances to Toruk, but great problems for Cryxian legions. Diversionary attacks on Khador's coastline have allowed other troops to reach its interior, seeking the two dragons there. The last several years have shown much hunting for the dragons. Cygnar remembers another such string of raids, the Scharde Invasions, orchestrated to lay the foundation for future conquest of Immoren. From 584 to 588, Treminus and Daeamortus attacked the Cygnaran coast in order to diver their forces from noticing the construction of permanent bases on the continent. Once those were ready, the raiding ended. Cygnar believed themselves victorious, but they were just dupes. For decades, the agents deeper inland have had only sporadiic support, though - supply lines are too distant and tenuous, too vulnerable. Under the cover of the Scharde Invasions, Asphyxious was sent to start a plan for a self-sustaining infrastructure that could operate autonomously.

Agents scouted necrotite harvesting sites for years inland, constructing vast underground networks to house secret necrofactoriums. In these tunnels, new machines and soldiers could move about undetected, and the undead armies began to grow beneath the soil. The invasions ended, and the larger operations were hidden for a time, until 604 AR and Khador's invasion of Llael. Ctgnar responded predictably, and Cryx had only to pick clean the battlefields. Asphyxious' army gathered beneath the Thornwood, sweeping into the heart of the war to steal corpses and materials. It only got more porfitable when Menoth got involved, adding their own corpses to the harvest. However, the Menites are a unique obstacle to the plans of Toruk. Cryx needs not only access to the dead, but to their souls, and those who serve Menoth interfere with that by His intervention, taking His followers' souls away from Cryxian industry.

Cryx has been secretly working against the Menite faith, stealing relics and desecrating tombs, even assassinating leaders. One great plan focused on the corruption of the Harbinger of Menoth, who gives much strength to her nation. So far, she has evaded all assassinations and subversions. She must die. Recent years, however, have shown strange movements from one of Toruk's lesser children. Its unusual behavior suggests that the subtle war between Toruk and his spawn may soon be an open one. The lich lords have known for some time of the dragon Everblight, weakest of Toruk's spawn. It is said that Toruk nearly devoured Everblight almost four centuries before Cryx was formed. Everblight fled towards the lair of Gaulvang, who was eaten in its place.

Little else was known until 390 AR, when Everblight obliterated the Iosan city of Issyrah and was then defeated by the combined might of all of Ios. Despite its apparent destruction, it did not die. Every dragon holds a piece of the imperishable Toruk, so only a dragon can kill a dragon. They will return from even the total destruction of the flesh. However, Everblight became even more elusive and unpredictable. All that is known is that it exists and its minions are proliferating and gaining power, and even the mortal nations have noticed. Everblight had nothing to do with the dragons' alliance, and even attacked and consumed the weakened dragon Pyromalfic that once lived beneath the Castle of the Keys. This made it an enemy to the other dragons, which Toruk might take advantage of. There are many opportunities now for the patient, and the victory of Cryx and the Dragonfather are, of course, inevitable.

Next time: Service In Death

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

bathroomrage posted:

To be fair, that WAS an entire race in FF5. As much of a race as Dwarves have been in Final Fantasy at least. :v: By which I mean a single village and one important guy and that's about it.

Honestly one of the things I lovehate most about that book is that they tried to include every goddamn race, even the mouse-people from FF9.

I don't have the time to get into it anytime soon, unfortunately, any write-up I'd do will be months off. :(

Or that big-tongued thing from FF8. Strange how the only thing they didn't make playable were those FF8 Black Mages (the race, not the class).

And I might be inclined to to Returners eventually, but there are FF-ish RPGs with a higher priority right now.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Doresh posted:

Or that big-tongued thing from FF8. Strange how the only thing they didn't make playable were those FF8 Black Mages (the race, not the class).

And I might be inclined to to Returners eventually, but there are FF-ish RPGs with a higher priority right now.

I believe that's all FF9. FF8 had the weird orange furry weasel things and the Shumi, which were big-handed yellow guys I think?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

bathroomrage posted:

And I will patiently await it, because this really was one of those things from my adolescence that I even recognized was terrible at the time but it didn't hate me for wanting to play non-casters and thus it was my jam for about five years. I will just eat up every god drat big red arrow and clown nose on the stupid poo poo it did.

Doresh posted:

The both of those are actually IX, and I assume the rational was they didn't include anything that couldn't breed (earlier drafts of the Viera that were female-only and thus "reproduced" by the forest budding a few new ones every so often aside) and I believe the Black Mages were explicitly created beings who weren't even designed to live very long, much less have reproductive organs.

theironjef posted:

I believe that's all FF9. FF8 had the weird orange furry weasel things and the Shumi, which were big-handed yellow guys I think?

Yup, I'd actually forgotten about those guys until I had to fight the Boss one in Record Keeper just recently. They were basically fat and yellow Jar Jar Binks who also really like money and betrayal.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 30, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

theironjef posted:

Who were apparently actually the same species! The Shumi were weird.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warmachine Prime Mk. II

The Iron Lich Asphyxious is Toruk's chosen instrument on the mainland and the leader of all of Cryx's armies. He has carved out a bastion for Cryx in the Thornwood, where he harvests evil and despair from old battlefields. He has almost forgotten his mortal life - it was much shorter than the 16 centuries of unlife. He once was a member of the Circle Orboros, tasked to watch over the Scharde Islands. When he saw Toruk claiming the islands, he realized the true shape of power. He was a druid who watched the birth of Cryx and the death of the pirate kings, jealous as he saw them remade into lich lords. He renounced his vows and went to Lord Toruk at the site later known as Dragon's Roost, in the shadow of a great volcano. He offered himself up in exchange for even a fraction of draconic power. Toruk made no promises, but instead asked Asphyxious to leap into the volcano. The man didn't hesitate at all, and Toruk scooped his bones from the magma and raised them up with the druid's dark soul, which eh placed in a metal vessel of power that Urcaen could not take it. Thus was the Iron Lich born. After the forges of Skell were completed and began to make the firs weapons of Toruk, Asphyxious and the Lich Lords had their brittle bones wrapped in dark steel, given strength and durability beyond that of their human frames. Asphyxious then began to master necromancy, studying for sixteen centuries. He looks now to serve his god on the mainland, to destroy its cities and release an unending tide of souls to gain power from. He destroys all he comes across, corrupting and withering it. His body must be powered by fresh souls, which he harvests with the two-pronged spear Soulsplitter, which is bathed in raw entropy. He is a crafty and terrible foe with no qualms about anything. His gimmick is firing corrosion and blasts aorund everywhere, then hoovering up souls to empower his 'jacks. His feat lets him hurt any nearby living foes to empower himself.

Warwitch Deneghra leaves a path of devastation in her wake. She is a terrifying beauty, wielding magic that drives men insane and then breaks them to her will. She dances and laughs in battle, easily avoiding the chaos around her and killing with her bladed armor and her great mechanikal spear, Sliver, which turns her enemies' own shadows against them, then traps their souls in cages hanging at her belt. The warwitches are always cruel and depraved, and Deneghra has been warped such by Toruk's influence that some think she has lost all humanity. None who knew her as a child would have guessed her eventual fate. She and her twin sister lived in a small village on the Cygnaran coast, but occult portents revealed by Skarre Ravenmane indicated that she was born a sorceress of immense potential. Asphyxious sent Skarre to ensure this asset was procured, and Skarre succeeded, taking the captive back...but what she did not realize was that the prophecy had in fact foretold the birth of twins, not one girl. Asphyxious discovered these misread signs later, too late to easily fix things. Still, Deneghra was an apt student, taught personally by Asphyxious. She excelled at magic and the command of helljacks, and when he deemed her ready, the iron lich told her the great secret: she had a twin sister who held the other half of her soul. A Cygnaran sorceress, he said, who had stolen her essence, keeping her from reaching her full potential. Deneghra begged him to let her join his invasion so she might find that twin and reclaim the stolen power. Pleased, Asphyxious made her his lieutenant. Deneghra now has only one goal: to kill her sister and claim her birthright. Her gimmick is debuffs and mind control, and her feat is a giant debuff to any enemy nearby.

Skarre Ravenmane, better known as Pirate Queen Skarre, is the ruler of the Satyxis, the warrior-women of the island of Satyx who have been blighted by dragon blood to become something more than human. Her ship, Widower, strikes frequently on the western coast, often without apparent rhyme or reason, as she follows mystical omens revealed to her by rites of death and blood. For decades, admirals and captains have tried and failed to predict her movements, and any who faced her died. She sends forth the undead and helljacks from her ship to obliterate resistors. Even the Orgoth feared the Satyxis reaver witches, and few know better than Skarre the power of blood magic. Sacrifice is vital to her power, and she carries a millenia-old ritual dagger with which she drains the energies keeping her comrades together - living or dead, willing or not. That blade then unlashes potent curses on her foes. Skarre controls the Satyxis by strength and cunning. Her bloodline is famous, and her mother ruled before her, but Satyxis leadership is proven in battle, not inherited. Even as a youth she dominated her kind by magic and will, for she can see patterns in the spray of blood and the feelings of pain. She has always destroyed any who plotted against her, and the lich lords know her as an effective tool and weapon. Her true loyalty, however, is to Toruk, not any lich. Her gimmick is sacrificing allies for power, stealing health and then generalized leadership stuff. Her feat trades her own health to buff her allies.

The Deathripper is the quintessential bonejack. It's not big - just under six and a half feet and only two and a half tons - but it's swift and fierce, and it serves as an excellent conduit for magical spells. Poison smoke and steam flow from its necrotite engines, and it produces a distinctive and terrifying keening. It is made mostly out of black iron and steel fused to the skulls and fangs of blighted beasts, which it uses to sever limbs and shear through armor. Just a few Deathrippers will make short work of a light warjack. While arc node technology was originally Cygnaran, Cryx figured it out very quickly by stealing the corpses of engineers and interrogating them. They improved on the arc node process via profane materials and unholy techniques to make it cheaper, so Cryxian warcasters often have a small swarm of node-equipped bonejacks.

No two bonejacks are exactly alike, but they do come in common forms. The Defiler is an example of the fast and deadly little things, just under six and a half feet and just over two and a half tons. Cryx has few limits on cortex production, thanks to the necrotechs - mad, undead geniuses who produce a nearly endless supply of weapons. The Defiler is fast and mobile, able to cross batlefields quickly and rain down death froms its sludge cannon or arc node before the fight has really begun. It avoids close combat, unlike its Deathripper cousins, preferring to spew caustic, metal-eating sludge at foes. In close range, about all it can do is feebly headbutt things. The trick is getting there before you're torn apart.

The Nightwretch, as many Cryxian weapons are, was tested on Cygnar. It's almost six and a half feet tall and almost 3 tons. While it isn't the toughest machine in the world, it's armed with a head-mounted cannon that fires a mix of lead shot and alchemical waste, causing the projectiles to explode in a concussive blast. The first testbed had no survivors - the entire company of Cygnaran troops was rendered a smoldering heap by the 'jacks, and they went into mass production. Like all bonejacks, they also serve as an arc node, and can feebly headbutt in a pinch.

The Corruptor is a helljack, the Cryxian equivalent of a heavy 'jack. It's twelve feet tall and nearly seven tons, designed to deploy venomous weapons that consume both body and soul. It is armed with both a necrosludge cannon and a necrojector claw, which both use alchemical toxins that make the human body explode in acidic filth and strip out the victim's soul, which is channeled through the Corruptor to the warcaster, who can use the dying soul as an arc node and healer for the machine, or to heal themselves.

The Reaper is disturbingly reminescent of a giant insect. It's nearly twelve feet tall and six and a half tons, and the mix of bone and steel that makes it up often looks like living chitin. Its cortex is bloodthirsty, and it has only one job: kill. It fires harpoons into its foes, then reels them into range of its terrible helldrivers - a pair of arm-spikes driven by really powerful pistons, each easily capable of punching through steel plate and most warjacks.

Next time: Thralls

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Where's the Slayer? Fuckin' Slayer!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Slayer's right here, ya jerk! I try to limit post sizes.

Warmachine Prime Mk. II

The Slayer's soulfire engine pushes it on and on to endless destruction. It stands nearly twelve feet tall and almost six and a half tons. The eerie glow from its furnace and eyes has given the name Cryxlight to any source of green light, like those often seen in bogs or fens. Its claws are strong enough to rend metal and bone, and its vicious tusks are taken from the skulls of great beasts and bolted onto the armored skull it uses for charging. The furnace is powered by the souls of the dead trapped in necrotite, and the necrotechs insist it runs best on necrotite scavenged directly from the field. The claws also make good tools for wrestling!

Bane Thralls are undead warriors inscribed with runes that make them more than mindless zombies. They are excellent killers, full of an internal darkness. Few know how they are created saved the masters of necromancy. They are always surrounded by darkness that weakens flesh and saps light. Their forms are obscured even in bright daylight, and they are driven by a hateful intelligence. They love slaughter and death, and sometimes can be heard whispering to each other in some ancient tongue, as though planning an attack. They are disciplined soldiers and fearless in all things. Cryxians themselves only dimly understand the horrors they raise, which seem tied to some force beyond Caen that feeds on death. Some darkness never goes away.

The Bile Thralls are notable for their bloated, distended bodies and the gurgling noise of the pumps inside them. They contain corrosive agents, which extend from tubes in their mouths and other orifices to end in firing mechanisms, allowing them to spray caustic fluids over wide areas. In the middle of enemy troops, they can also force themselves to perform an explosive discharge, decompressing their pressurized innards into an explosive shower of fluid and flesh, which quickly corrodes anything caught in it, metal or flesh. Bile thralls are typically deployed in the dozens, sending them slowly across the field until the right moment to blow themselves up. They destroy enemy morale very well - those who witness them have been known to go for days without eating.

Mechanithralls are the favored tool of dark warcasters, undead armed with powerful steamfists that crush heads quite easily. They're made quite easily from the corpses of the dead, so they're definitely not in short supply, and they can be very disheartening to face, if they still have their old faces on. Mechanithralls have no fear, charging headlong into their own destruction and relying on their terrifying strength, which rivals that of steamjacks. They obvey blindly, but are capable of using basic tactics, perhaps remembered from life.

The Satyxis Raiders haunt the waters of the Meredius as pirates, filling the Sea of a Thousand Souls, the Windless Wastes, the Wailing Sea, the Dying Strands, Sailor's Lament and more. Even in a region renowned for pirates, the Satyxis are feared specially. They are an ancient sailing tradition, warrior-women who love nothing more than plunder and slaughter. Even when they were sitll human, they were brutal blood sorcerers and extremely cruel. In 1640 BR, the Satyxis were changed forever when the dragon Shazkz fought Toruk above their island, spilling blighted blood like rainfall. The men were reduced to withered husks, and the women became something more than human, horns growing from the skulls and their cruelty magnified. Over the next six centuries, Satyx became a mainland legend. When Toruk arrived to claim it, the Satyxis queen bowed to him, having foreseen his arrival. She offered a tithe of soldiers to serve his lich lords. The foremost of these are the raiders, who wield barbed whips main to cause pain and flay flesh. So skilled are they, in fact, that they can harm a warcaster through their 'jack.

A Necrotech is half necromancer, half mechanikal genius, with a dash of madman. Their job is to build the undead soldiers and machines of the Cryxian army, and they're not afraid to use their own undead flesh to test their work. When they're not designing horros, they take their Scrap Thralls into battle, where they can easily repair their infernal contraptions with whatever they happen to have lying around. They also often improvise scrap thralls from the bone and metal of corpses and ruined 'jacks. Once animated, these thralls wander around as delivery vehicles for necrotite bombs. They explode very easily when struck, and their main job is to grab an enemy and hold them in place until they detonate in a shower of metal and bone.

The Skarlock Thrall is an insidious creature, linked deeply and powerfully to a warcaster. Each is a unique being, with a personality and agenda all its own. More than any other thrall, they have the memories of life as well as the knowledge bound into them during their creation. From creation, each is bound to a master, utterly unable to feel any disloyalty to them. Their bones and flesh are blackened and desiccated by dark sigils, giving them powerful necromantic abilities. As part of the bond, they become conduits for their warcasters, who can send them forth to unleash their magic from a distance. Lesser minions always try to appease the skarlocks, who are the eyes and ears of the warcasters.

Next time: Mercenaries

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Man, I'm a sucker for undead factions (thanks, Jason and the Argonauts), and these guys look sweet.

theironjef posted:

Dammit how did I mess that up o_O ?

LornMarkus posted:

The both of those are actually IX, and I assume the rational was they didn't include anything that couldn't breed (earlier drafts of the Viera that were female-only and thus "reproduced" by the forest budding a few new ones every so often aside) and I believe the Black Mages were explicitly created beings who weren't even designed to live very long, much less have reproductive organs.

Short lifespans and a lack of reproductive organs isn't really all that important in most kinds of campaigns.

LornMarkus posted:

And I will patiently await it, because this really was one of those things from my adolescence that I even recognized was terrible at the time but it didn't hate me for wanting to play non-casters and thus it was my jam for about five years. I will just eat up every god drat big red arrow and clown nose on the stupid poo poo it did.

My story is even more tragic. It was back in the day when the internet and roleplaying was kinda new to me, and it took me a little while to recognize the flaws of this system. And that was long before the "official" release.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Bane Thralls are undead warriors inscribed with runes that make them more than mindless zombies. They are excellent killers, full of an internal darkness. Few know how they are created saved the masters of necromancy. They are always surrounded by darkness that weakens flesh and saps light. Their forms are obscured even in bright daylight, and they are driven by a hateful intelligence. They love slaughter and death, and sometimes can be heard whispering to each other in some ancient tongue, as though planning an attack. They are disciplined soldiers and fearless in all things. Cryxians themselves only dimly understand the horrors they raise, which seem tied to some force beyond Caen that feeds on death. Some darkness never goes away.

Did Toruk steal his undead-making ideas from Orgoth, or was it the other way around? Cause I know Thamar stole Teglesh from the Orgoth and that's why her followers have rune zombies everywhere.

Not to mention Witchfire

Okay looks like I had my timeline mixed up, so rune zombies is probably just a thing because runes are a thing in Iron Kingdoms.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 30, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It strikes me that using the leftovers of the incredibly ancient evil empire of terrifying wizard kings to power you weapons is not a good idea. Especially if they come back.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

wiegieman posted:

It strikes me that using the leftovers of the incredibly ancient evil empire of terrifying wizard kings to power you weapons is not a good idea. Especially if they come back.

Who says that isn't the entire point? If you want to awake your dread overlords, playing with their toys probably isn't a bad idea.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Toruk was around at the same time as the Orgoth, so it might have been convergent evolution there. Certainly Cryx did destroy the Orgoth and plunder their souls for secrets, however.

Warmachine Prime Mk. II

The mercenary bit is a story told by Greygore Boomhowler. He talks about how many army assholes think they're better than mercenaries thanks to their uniforms. They aren't. Most are green recruits, barely able to tell one end of a gun from another. But a mercenary? They fight every chance they can, just to make enough to live on. Need coin, after all, to pay your crew, to buy supplies, to drink...and if you can't fight, you don't get paid. It's an honest job, yeah? And only skill will keep you alive. Being a merc's no joke - you need to be tough. If you want to be lazy, go work in a town. And it's not like there are no rules. You join a company, you sign to their charter, and anything you do is watched by your captain. It's not like you're a bandit. You live and die by the Charter. When hired, you see it through. Period. Don't matter if it gets rough. You don't swap sides for extra coin - that's for criminals and bandits, and it'll get you hanged. When you're a merc, your name is your fortune. Don't like that, go be a pirate.

When you're a merc, your captain's the boss, not your employers. You don't have to worry about the ranks of the army that hired you. There's no one to salute, no courts-martial. And a good merc company plays just as hard as it fights - what's the good of coin if you don't spend it? There's a lot of mercs out there, and they're all competitors. Everyone's got a specialty, and you should expect backstabbing. Some will pretend to be your friend, but keep your wits about you. Each would see you dead to get at a job. You might work alongside them, but you don't trust them beyond a contract. Some mercs just want coin, while others have their own grudges. Some pretend to be proper mercs but are just paid assassins, really, no honor. You be careful around them.

Greygore Boomhowler and Company are trollkin. They'll work for Cryx, Cygnar, Khador or the Trollbloods. They say the legendary fell caller Bragg was very virile and sexy for a trollkin, and he spread children everywhere, all of whom inherited his fell calling powers, with voices that stagger the imagination. Greygore Boomhowler is one of the more notable examples, a crass mercenary with a great command of Bragg's Gift. He claims to be the reincarnation of Bragg, though he is an admitted outcast among the wild trollkin. He wears garish colors of his own design, unrelated to any of the trollkin quitari tartans, and he is never quiet, even in ambush. Sometimes he actually gets paid double to keep him and his boys from singing at all hours. Whne he is not singing, drinking or fighting, he's having sex - his voice has entranced women throughout the Kingdoms. He is skilled with both axe and blunderbuss, but his real weapon his his voice, which can rise above even a battle. It smashes wood, tears open warjacks and shatters glass. Some even say that his voice has won battles before any blood was spilled, pushing soldiers to great heights of action or raising them fro mthe worst wounds. He is friends with the outlaw warcaster Asheth Magnus, who seems to appreciate his vocal talents. Boomhowler's company of trollkin use their own axes and blunderbusses, but some more traditional trollkin dislike Boomhowler's fame and influecne among the young who have given up tribal ways. Greygore's certainly happier in cities than the wilds, but does occasionally go home to recruit. He's never without followers, though the number varies. Whether he actually is Bragg's reincarnation or not doesn't matter. He and his mercs are an impressive force, when they aren't drunk.

Herne and Jonne are a team, willing to work for Cygnar, Khador or the Protectorate of Menoth. Herne Stoneground was a traveling alchemist's assistant who became curious about the sciences of gunsmithing and demolution. By the age of 20, he'd mastered the manufacture of double-barreled guns and had earned a reputation among traders and merchants. The Stoneground mark is a sign of quality. He has always insisted on personally delivering his wares, and a Stoneground original can earn a thousand Cygnaran crowns on the open market, so he used to keep bodyguards. That changed when he met the ogrun Jonne. Jonne was born and raised Rhulic, where his conclave had served as guards and smith hands to the Rhulfolk. He grew up on the Llaelese border and liked merchants, making a name for himself as a dockhand. It went to his head, and he signed on with the Rhulic mercenary group called Emberhold, where he learned martial skill. One day during the delivery of a Stoneground original to one of Jonne's employers, he met Herne as bandits attacked. Jonne snatched them up and restrained them by instinct, earning applause and an immediate job offer from Herne. The two are now one of the most famous mercenary teams out there, after fourteen years of friendship. The ogrun has saved Herne far beyond the call of duty, and he makes the dwarf feel safe. Herne would never allow Jonne to die to save himself - they are friends, and solid ones. Some years ago they turned to larger ordinance because small arms wasn't so lucrative any more, and Herne devised the Stoneground barrage arquebus, which he and Jonne have been demonstrating on the road. It's a triple-barreled contraption that fires three cannonballs at once, and it's so big that only Jonne can use it. Herne uses his mathematical skills to refine its trajcetories. It's not easy to aim, but you don't need to as much because its ammunition fragments. It's devastating at middle range and Jonne's just as deadly with an axe in close quarters, while Herne is no slouch with axe or pistol.

Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios is one of the mysterious Iosan elves, willing to work for Cygnar, Khador, the Protectorate of Menoth and the Retribution of Scyrah. Eiryss is one of the few elves that has left Ios in recent years, and she's made a name for herself as a mercenary hunter. She is largely a mystery, however, among the mercenaries. Ios has rarely contributed to the mercenary culture of Immoren, but Eiryss does have a reputation for ruthless and efficient murder. Other mercenaries tend to dislike her. She does not haggle, and her fees are low for what she does. Some believe human currency means little to her. She is prompt and professional, often arriving early to battles to learn the layout. She tends to know the ground better than the actual commanders do. She interacts with everyone politely and with deference, and often seems to fade into the background, with people forgetting she's present during deliberations and planning. She never misses anything and can memorize a plan instantly, with perfect recall. She needs no instruction in battle, and she is very unnerving to arcanists and wizards. She is, after all, a specialist in hunting down wizards and warcasters, and she'll work cheaper if that's on the docket. She has never explained why she's so good at it, but she's clearly experienced. Her skill vastly multiplies her worth, and given her lack of actual loyalties, it's a matter of concern for mages on all sides. If she has one flaw, it is perhaps her dislike of normal warjacks, which she does not understand or appreciate. She is, however, quite good at disrupting their abilities.

Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator will work for Cygnar or Khador. He's been everywhere in the Iron Kingdoms - rare for a human, let alone a gobber. His full name is Reinbaggerinzenholdt, and he claims to have been literally everywhere. He has trinkets from across Immoren and his accent is always native to wherever he happens to be. He has an endless supply of esoteric facts and occasionally useful advice. He's expert in nothing but versed in everything. He may tell tall tales, but many will indulge and hire him. He has little aptitude for fixing things, despite claiming to have once been a bodger, but it seems he's more often hired for his conversational skills. He has proven his worth multiple times to many employers, though. He has a knack for quickly reloading guns, and he makes great use of his trinkets, particularly a fin Ordic spyglass that he claims he got for helping to beat back a Cryxian invasion. It lets him spot dangers from afar and judge distances quite well if disconcertingly (his measurement is generally in seconds to impact), a very useful skill. He also seems to bring luck to those around him, and certainly he's led a charmed life, without any serious injury in any of the battles he's been in. He once sneezed himself out of a moving carriage just before it burst into flames due to a powder trap. A blunderbuss shot once deflected harmlessly off a soup spoon he'd picked up earlier the same day. Most often, though, he just spots threats and goes the other way. He's not brave or heroic, and when the enemy gets close he tends to vanish, but if he has to he'll hit someone with stuff in his pockets until he gets away.

The End

Do you guys want to see the Hordes core next, or one of the Warmachine faction books (Retribution of Scyrah, Protectorate of Menoth, Cygnar, Khador, Cryx, Mercenaries and Convergence of Cyriss)?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

quote:

necromechanikal

These games are always so silly.

I vote Retribution of Scyrah since I can't recall what that actually is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Retribution is the elf faction who wants to kill all human arcanists because they believe human magic is slowly killing their last remaining god*. Since the ability to use magic is randomly distributed throughout humanity it means that their end goal is genocide.

*Their reasoning on this point is somewhat spurious, based more on proximity than anything else. And the fact that the Retribution leaders are giant racists who will latch onto any excuse for a war.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah

The Retribution of Scyrah was the first book released after Mark 2 came out, and it was an entirely new faction for the game: the Iosan elves. They are unique in a few ways. Firstly: they have Myrmidons. Myrmidons are a type of warjack that has a regenerating forcefield protecting it, allowing it to suck up a good chunk of damage. This makes up for the fact that behind the field, they are much more fragile than most non-Bonejack 'jacks. Also? They loving hate human wizards. The Iosans are isolationist, and few of them are even willing to set foot outside the borders. The Retribution of Scyrah were a splinter sect long outlawed that was willing to leave to kill wizards. Recently, news that the Iosan god Nyssor was being held captive in Khador brought the Iosans to war, and the Retribution became the dominant sect. They are literally fighting for their gods. Their technology is far beyond that of humans, using force blasts and forcefields. They're an incredibly versatile faction, with units that shift roles as needed. However, they have lost some of the technological prowess they had millenia ago, due to a disaster that nearly destroyed their civilization.

The history of Ios is told to us by Ryvoas Vyre, a theologian and historian of House Vyre. It begins with the gods. None can say where they came from - they never said. There is a myth of them being born from union of the moons and sun, but that's just allegory. What is known is that, long before the creation of elves, the eight gods of Ios dwelt in the palace Lyoss, ruling over the Urcaen domain called the Veld. Their ruler was Lacyr, the Narcissar of Ages. At her side was Ossyris, the Incissar of Hours. It is known that the gods were warriors, for Ossyris is also the Sovereign of Conflict and General of Lyoss. Traditionally, this is depicted as spirit armies patrolling the Veld's borders, for he Veld was surrounded by enemies. Beneath Lacyr and Ossyris were Ayisla and Nyrro. Ayisla was Nis-Arsyr of Night and the Watcher of the Gates of Lyoss, while Nyrro was Arsyr of Day, Seneschal and Lorekeeper. Below them where the four gods of the seasons: Scyrah, Nis-Issyr of Spring and Healer of the Divine Court, Lurynsar, Issyr of Summer, Arms Master of Lyoss and Chief of Scouts, Lyliss, Nis-Scyir of Autumn, Court Assassin and Mistress of Poisons, and Nyssor, Scyir of Winter and Grand Crafter.

It was Lurynsar who first noticed mortal souls entering the afterlife. Lacyr investigated this, tracking them back to Caen and seeing the barbarity of their existence, but also the potential. Human souls multiplied, giving a bounty to their creator, Menoth. Lacyr was inspired to make her own people, but a more refined people. She wanted a species fit to inherit and subjugate Caen. She became Potentate of the Living by giving life to the elves, while the goddess Scyrah served as her midwife. The Divine Court watched from beyond the divide of mortality, guiding the new creatures, teaching them law and civilization as well as magic and war. The gods brought concepts - present, past, the passage of hours and division of seasons as Caen orbited the sun. They showed how the moons influenced wind, rain and tides. They embodied life and death, with life beginning in spring with Scyrah, governor of birth and growth, then passing ito Issyr's heat, Lyliss' waning autumn and the cold winter of Nyssor's death, as the land awaited rebirth. Nyrro watched the day, and the sun of life, while Ayisla oversaw night, and the passage into death as the Suzerain of the Fallen. The souls of the elves were borrowed from the gods, who regulated them in the afterlife. When a soul passed on, it met Ayislaat the gates of the Veld to be appraised. The worthy passed into the realm of gods, to live in grace for etenrity. The others were sent back to be reborn. The process has now been lost, perhaps eternally.

The gods granted the elves great knowledge - mathematics, engineering, architectyure, magic. They had a lifespan far longer than any other living creatures of Caen. It was not all bliss, of course. They competed with each other, sometimes bloodily. In time, though, the gods guided them together as the Empire of Lyoss, taking the name from the palace of the gods. The elves learned war in the struggle for unification, and used those skills against human and skorne savages afterwards. Eventually, they made contact with the dwarves of Rhul, the only true civilization of the time apart from Lyoss, but hidden away in a mountain region, neither threat nor competition. Had events gone differently, Lyoss would spread across Immoren, and to continents beyond.

The golden age was long, but little is known about it. It was thousands of years, now like a half-forgotten dream. It was so long ago that Immoren was different. The capital, Nyshyl, sat at the heart of what is now a rift dividing the continent. The sun never shines on the ruin, which is but dust now, cloaked in storm and lightning forever. The Empire of Lyoss sat at the center of the desert that is now, but was not then. Some of the ruins remain - the city of Osslarys, say. Even this podunk town was greater than anything that exists today. Nyshyl had over two million souls living there. Little else is known of ancient Lyoss. It was ruled by the eight fanes of the gods, with subordinate fanes ruling outlying regions. It was not a utopia - it had its poor. But it fed them all. It had its stife, but heavy-handed force would end that, and peace would reign again. The gods gave people great oversight in their daily life, but controlled the government through the priests. The only dissatisfaction was that the gods were seperate, living in Urcaen. Five thousand years ago, the eldest priests met at the Council of Anifaryl to resolve this issue. They drew up plans for the Bridge of Worlds, that they might share life and afterlife with the gods. Lacyr herself approved.

In modern days, no Iosan could discuss the Bridge of Worlds without rage and regret, but it was a thing of hope for the Lyossans. It took four hecyions to create - that is, 4 times 64 years. It was the greatest project ever attempted on Caen, and likely the greatest ever to be attempted in all of history. Mortals and divinities alike joined to build a conduit between worlds. It was a massive physical structure - a stone arch reaching into the sky, ending at its apex, like half a bridge. The missing half was built in spirit in the Veld, designed and manufactured by the gods for perfect mystical alignment with the material side. Hundreds of linked arcane generators were built into the foundation, and a lattice of sigils was inlaid into the streets themselves for miles around. The Bridge of Worlds was intended as a permanent road for the gods, that they might come and go at will. Its construction took over 250 years and cost more lived and materials than could be afforded ever again. It should have been the greatest wonder of the world. But when it was activated, something went terribly wrong. The Cataclysm occurred.

The moment the gods entered Caen, the Bridge of Worlds exploded in a rain of arcane power. Only the aftereffects of the veent are known, but they were extreme, beyond anything before or since. Survivors even hundreds of miles away wrote of great flaming stones raining down. Closer to the blast, the raw force disintegrated everything. It is believed everyone nearby died instantly. Immoren itself was sundered, opening the Abyss, a chasm so deep it reaches into the molten veins of the world. Nysyhl was obliterated utterly. Survivors write of blue-white fires burning unnaturally, with with no fuel, unable to be extinguished. The stones themselves burned. The weather patterns were altered permanently, and what was once a small desert near Nysyhl became a near impassable wasteland. Along the Abyss, the freakish energies of the event combined with the seismic changes to birth the Stormlands, an area that still has unending rain and lightning. Tens of millions died in an instant. The empire was over. Millions more died in the aftermath, and those on the fringes starved. Were it not for the gods, there would be no Ios.

The gods, you see, survived. They stood among the people, sheltering as many as they could. Over the next decade, they gathered the survivors and marched west. There were countless terrors, too many for even the gods to protect against. A host of warriors decided to sacrifice their own lives for the others. This was the Dawnguard, an ancient order serving Nyrro. They guarded the rear, battling endlessly against the horrors. Most of them, the remnants of ancient House Nyarr, died in the sands. Some say all bearing the name Nyarr died, but the modern house insist there were some survivors. The elves came to the lands of Ios on the advice of the gods, who saw it had the potential to recover and thrive. The Mistbough and Archenbough forests were vibrant, and there was fertile farmland. Contact was renewed the the Rhul, though they were told no more than necessary.

The first buildings constructed in Ios were the Aeryth Dawnguard and the Gate of Storms - the first a fortress monument to the fallen Dawnguard and the home of the new Dawnguard, sworn to offer their bodies in place of the fallen. The second was built in case the Rhulfolk chose to test the new land. Next was the Gate of Mists, a fortress that has grown greatly from its humble origins. It would be thousands of years again before humans were considered even a slight threat. The survivors settled, believing that they might heal and rise again, greater than before, for the gods stood with them. They spent years rebuilding, trying to rediscover the knowledge that was lost. Sadly, even now, it is unknown how much was lost in the Cataclysm. The first eight cities of Ios were each dedicated to a god, and at the heart of each a temple was built to house that god. These fanes were true homes, not just places of worship, and the builders knew they would never compare to the palace Nyssor built in the Veld. It's no wonder, then, that these great construction projects were begun - it was the only way to offer thanks to the gods, even in these desperate times. Today, most of those original cities no longer stand. The only one that has been retained in perfection was Shyrr, the capital built for Lacyr, the creator goddess. It is the center of the Iosan civilization, and home to the finest of the fanes, later the center of Iosan government.

The next largest surviving city is Iryss, and it has been maintained far less well. It was the home of Scyrah, and the fane is kept as if she were still in residence, though she later moved to Shyrr. The last remaining of the old cities is Lynshynal, the home of Lurynsar, built in the Archenbough. These days, it is an industrial city, and while the area is still untouched by winter, it is not the beauty it was. Five cities were lost. The most recent was Issyrah, fallen to a dragon two centuries ago, built for Ayisla. It was a city of night people, lit by great lamps. Shaeross, in the east, was home of Ossyris, second only to Shyrr in grandeur. Eversael was the first city, the northernmost, and it was Nyrro's. South was Shaelvas, the City of Wind, devoted to Lyliss. And last was the near-mythical Darsael, its existence expunged from written record over a thousand years ago, but once devoted to Nyssor. The leaders of the Iosan people were the surviving nobles, who became the 15 hallytyr, the high houses. Even then, the gods preferred to isolate themselves in their fanes, only traveling out periodically. Many wondered if they wished to return to the Veld.

It was centuries before anyone noticed a new, strange illness. The first sign came with the onset of old age and diseases among the elders. They aged now, far more than they had in the past. It was terrifying. Today, it is taken for granted that an elf will live often no more than three centuries, but for the first Iosans, it was unprecedented. Death from violence, sure, but age? Oh no. Disease epidemics tore through Ios in that first millenium. For the first time, the gods had no ready answers, though Scyrah and Lacyr cured as many as they could and Lyliss gave merciful deaths to countless others. It would be some time before any other aspects of their decline were noted - a greatly lessed birth rate, for example. Each family suffered in silence, for the shame of it, so it is hard to gauge how much. EVentually, though, it was notcied. The elves begged the gods for help, but there was no answer. They began to resent the gods, blaming those who ruled other cities than their own. Some thought it suspicious that Scyrah, lady of fertility and birth, had no solution. The most popular targets, however, were Lyliss and Nyssor, for they were autumn and winter. It even led to bloodshed between cities, and the stigma against Darsael is rooted in that era, eventually dividing the people. The gods tried to intervene, and for a time births surged and prosperity returned, but it was shortlived. Ios entered a three thousand year cycle of false hopes and disillusionment. Two more times, the gods tried to correct it after centuries of decline, and each time was only a brief respite before the problem came back, worse than ever.

This period was named the Great Malaise, as the Iosans sought to avoid the truth. Some say they still suffer it today. The Iosans isolated themselves, seeking distraction by entertainment and frivolity. They lost their unity, and the cities became disconnected. The priesthoods no longer communciated, focusing only on their own sovereign gods. Secrets grew, leading to violence between noble houses, and the Consulate Court that rules Ios became powerless. The gods likely realized early that saving the people would mean leaving. They studied the issue for years, trying to use mriacles to remain. At last, in the year ^3126, they made an announcement: they were leaving the world. They, too, were suffering and weakning, the longer they remained out of the Veld. Their arrival had caused a cosmic imbalance that made it hard for them to perform their functions. The lives of the Iosans were linked to their strength, and the only solution was for them to return to Urcaen. However, they had not found a way. They did not explain their plan, only that they would not be seen again. Their success, they said, would restore the balance. The fane of Ossyris, where this final ceremony was held, was thereafter considered utterly sacred, forbidden for any to enter. A powerful bane was raised there, that none might walk its halls until the gods returned. It has never been violated.

Next time: More fuckin' elf history.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The exodus of the gods brought hope to Ios. At last, they had taken action, perhaps they might save the Iosans. For decades, faith and industry were at an all-time high. It was in this time that the people of Darsael, who worshipped Nyssor, abandoned their homes and began to leave Ios. The historians of the time ignored it, and in later centuries there was a systematic effort to erase the existence of Darsael from history. What records survived indicate they were led by a prophet named Aeric. Shortly after the gods left, he claimed to have a vision of Nyssor instructing him to lead his people away. There were never many of them, and they were long shunned, for Nyssor was unpopular, the god of the end of life. It may have been welcomed as a sign of better things to come, and end to the long winter. It is knopwn now that these people would become the Nyss, but for a thousand years, Ios had no contact with them. Darsael was abandoned, but many other cities followed. The priests of each fane kept up their duties, but the inhabitants left, heading inward. Shaelvas was next to fall, and even EVersael became little more than the ceremonial grounds of the Dawnguard.

Three centuries after the exodus of the gods, the Fane of Nyrro made an announcement, claiming that Nyrro had returned with good tidings. Eversael became the center of pilgrimages and offerings, of great festivals. For years, this new cult of NYrro multiplied, but not all believed them. The wise were skeptical, claiming it was strange that the priests continued not to reveal the god's full message, and that the stories of his sightings were so fantastic. Dark rumors began to spread that the priests were performing unholy rites in the fane, that some who went to Eversael just vanished. Then, a survivor escaped the dungeons and fled to Aeryth Dawnguard, affirming that the clergy killed any who would reveal their secrets. It was proven when he lled Dawnlord Chrylos Nyarr to a mass grave. It remains unclear what corrupted the holy men - perhaps it was nothing more than an attempt to bring back the influence of old Eversael. Perhaps they thought, at first, they were acting for good reasons.

The Dawnguard were infuriated, for Nyrro had been their patron god and they had long had close ties to the priesthood. This disgraced their order, and justice was their duty. They marched as one to EVersael, invaded the fane and shamed the priests into confession before the crowd. Dawnlord Nyarr executed the leaders himself and left the rest to his soldiers. The cult was destroyed, and EVersael was abandoned. It has since been avoided entirely, and it is rumored to be haunted and cursed. There is even evidence that some of the priests evaded execution and turned themselves into unholy creatures that feed on life to survive. After that incident, the Dawnguard divorced themselves from Nyrro. They may respect the god, but that is kept private. The spiritual belief of Ios never truly recovered.

Fear that something terrible might have happened to the gods was confirmed seven hundred years after their exodus. Across Ios, the priests suddenly fled the fanes, maddened and ranting. This began the Rivening, a calamity just as influential on the Iosans as the Cataclysm. The most detailed accounts of the time are from Shyrr. It was as if each priest went mad at once. One high priest went to the Consulate Court and slew the House Syllrynal consul befor being sotpped. Several lit themselves n fire, while others went into murderous frenzies. Most survivors believed their civilization was ending. It was not isolated to Shyrr, either, but all throughout Ios. Issyrah is said to have suffered even worse, as the priests tore out their own eyes in the open market and caused riots, arson and looting. Alarge portion of the city was burned and had to be revuilt. From that point on, the Fane of Ayisla was shunned as a cursed place.

Iryss suffered least, though it still suffered. The priests of Fane of Scyrah had milder dementias - gibberish-speaking, say, but not violence. They regained their wits relatively quickly, often after only a few hours, while many other priests never recovered. The most chilling madness was in Shaeross, however. Shyrr sent messengers there when contact was lost, and they find the city sealed but unguarded. Inside, they find citizens murdered and soldiers dead by suicide. No one has ever figured out quite what happened there. Some say that the Rivening spread to all the people of Shaeross. The death toll might have been far higher, had the city not been abandoned by thousands beforehand. It has never again been settled. The priests of Scyrah helped some others recover. They claimed that they had a sudden shock, followed by an utter sense of isolation from the gods. All Iosan priests but the FAne of Scyrah found they could no longer channel the divine through prayer, and so it was termed the Rivening, the violent severance from the gods. Many deduced that the gods might be lost or destroyed, and those priests sane enough to realize that fell into despair, often suicidal.

The news could not be hidden, though Ios tried. It spread quickly, and the Consulate Court could not bring order, for all they tried. They used soldiers to quell riots, but that only made things worse. In the time that followed, it was the priests of Scyrah who calmed things, for they at least still had their powers. One of the most disturbing manifestations, however, was the birth of Iosan children with no souls. Before the Rivening, there is no record of such an event. The soulless are born with black, empty eyes. They never cry, and only stare blankly. It was thankfully rare at first, but has slowly increased with each hecyion that passes. The most likely cause is the vanishing of Ayisla, the Watcher of the Gates, who was responsible for the processes of reincarnation and passage into the afterlife. With her gone, perhaps the reincarnating souls are incapable of returning from the Veld to Caen. Without the Fane of Scyrah, Ios might have been lost utterly to anarchy. Even with their aid, it was a time of sorrow and grief. The empire was shattered by bringing the gods to Caen, and now they were lost. The Divine Court began to be referred to as the Vanished. The fanes were used to honor the gods, but for many, these honors only reinforced the loss. Ios began to shift from worship of eight gods to only the one they hoped still lived.

It was almost a century after the Rivening that the survival of Scyrah was confirmed. In the winter of ^3932, witnesses saw an approaching figure outside Shyrr - a beautiful woman who opened the great gates with ease. She headed to the city's heart, and word spread that Scyrah might have returned. All who vwitnessed it later described it as dreamlike, overwhelming to the senses. The fog added to the confusion, for the goddess of spring had always been youthful, nto this older woman who, while still beautiful, was full of sorrow and loss. This change is frequently seen in Iosan art. Her presence brought more concern than joy, due to her silence. She gave no reassurances, no hopes. Her priesthood awaited her outside the fane of Shyrr. She entered, and was never seen outside again. It would be centuries before the Fane of Scyrah admited she had not spoken since her return. They remained quiet about her condition, offering only empty reassurances and requests for prayer and patience. It preserved the faith of the people for a time, but the ongoing silence divided the people from the clergy.

Of course, the priests likely feared shattering what hope had returned. What is known now is that Scyrah collapsed after entering the Fane of Lacyr, and has slumbered ever since, though her mind remains active and her priests are still connected. The Auricant Velahn insists that Scyrah grants wisdom and instructions by subtle portents and whispers, that all her will and what strength remains are focused on maintaining the people. Perhaps most frightening is that Scyrah's malady was able to afflict a divinity embodying vitality itself. MAny have believed it was this that preserved her when the other gods died. Others suggest Lacyr sacrificed herself to save Scyrah, the only one who could preserve Ios. It was not until ^4296 that the fane announced that Scyrah was not recovering, but was in fact slowly dying. They predicted she would die within six hecyion. Now, there are but eighty years until that time comes.

Shortly after the Rivening, many theologians began to examine the cosmological dilemma at hand. It was bold, given the despair around the. Adeptis Hylesh Vyre and others were instrumental in these studies, documenting the manner in which the loss of the gods affected the people. Until then, Ios had ignored the outside, sending only a few emissaries to guard against unexpected threats - never safe in the best of times, as humanity had fractured into thousands of city-states. They did, however, learn to communciate. That all changed when the Orgoth humans came to conquer. Iosan ambassadors were slain on sight. The Orgoth eventually tried to invade the Rhul border and were driven back after killing many. Iosan forces prepared for them, and the COnsulate Court realized they needed spies, and began to watch the foreign powers in hopes of better understanding humans and particularly the Orgoth. It was the first time outsiders had seemed a significant threat.

Most surprising was the sudden proliferation of magic among humans, distributed almost systematically. Before then, it had been believed humans had no insight into the art. The ORgoth had been rumored to use sorceries, but it was assumed those were gifts of their dark gods. What puzzled Iosan agents was evidence that an increasingly organized resistance was using magic against the Orgoth that came from no god. This proved instrumental in the defeat of the Orgoth over many years, and the pace of the innovations regarding arcane principles was both staggering and ominous. Further investigation led to the discovery that the onset of this power coincided almost exactly with the Rivening. The first sorcerer was created but three years after that day. Coincidence? Hardly.

Decades of investigation showed that magic was gifted to humans by the goddess Thamar as a weapon, and even the human priests believed it left a taint on their souls. Research by Vyre arcanists discovered clues that human magic exacerbates the problems caused by the missing gods. The evidence is more suggestive than absolute, but it seems likely that human magic has increased the occurrence of soullessness. Similar studies have shown that this also extends to the proliferation of mechanika as well as magic-users, and this was the most important goad to the rise of what would become the Retribution of Scyrah. They and the Seekers emerged after the announcement of Scyrah's plight. Their basic purpose was the same: take action. Both knew the situation needed immediate response, but they disagreed on its nature.

The Seekers intended to save Scyrah, using principles laid down 270 years ago by the diviner Vyrillis Yryas. They have collected a wealth of historical and arcane lore, including texts the Fane of Scyrah has declared forbidden, which predate the Cataclysm. Yryas' heavy reliance on ancient texts and questionable prophecy, however, led the Seekers to many futile investigations. Further, they reject the idea of human magic and the Rivening being linked. Most still cling to the hope that the Vanished sitll exist and are waiting to be found. They have made their life's work the search for information on the Vanished outside Ios, and one of their fundamental prophecies holds that Lacyr said Ios would someday reuqire the help of outsiders to survive. They have had no notable gains in three centuries, but the discovery of Nyssor has reinvigorated their cause, and they insist he is but the first.

The Retribution, on the other hand, were pragmatic. They have a strong religious foundation, embodied in pious mage hunters, but at the core they are about research and reconnaissance. They realized the only hope of healing Scyrah was by eliminating human magic and its users. They have hidden bases throughout the human kingdoms, used to luanch assassinastions on mages. Not long after their founding, they were outlawed, as were the Seekers, as the Consulate Court feared both might weaken Ios and invite invasion. Both the hallytyr and the Fane of Scyrah wanted to quash these sects, but it didn't work. Much of Ios' citizens were content to pretend things hadn't changed, but not all.

The human kingdoms after the Orgoth were defeated proved more amenable to ambassadors and trade. The Iosan merchants wer eager to use them, and had to be kept in check by the Five Great Military Houses. Still, some outsiders were even allowed beyond the Gate of Mists, though only a select few were allowed to see Iryss. The exiled sects continued their work, and Scyrah continued to weaken. For each mage killed, three more arose. The Retribution began to speak of the Consulate Court with open disdain, and their views were echoed elsewhere. Even the hallytyr realized only decisive action would rouse Ios. In ^4546, Lord Ghyrrshyld of House Vyre emerged, sweeping aside opposition to disband the incissar council ruling Vyre and declaring himself Narcissar and High Consul. He intended to rule over all Ios as a true Narcissar - an Emperor. He intended to force people to face the facts. He was a wizard of unparalleled skill, studying ancient texts, even those of the cult of Nyrro, humans or the Rhul. He studied all knowledge, and believed a single ruler was needed to bring salvation, He armed his kinsmen more than any other noble ever had, and the dissenters slowly quieted as Ghyrrshyld consolidated his control of House Vyre. Many were eager to follow him, using techniques to strengthen the myrmidons that had so often been the specialty of the rival House Shyeel. Ghyrrshyld tested his forces often, enjoying battle and killing no matter what the foe. He was aggressive, without any provocation as he attacked the trollkin to the south, and they sought vengeance, not realizing who they faced. The slaughter did little to quell dark rumors about Ghyrrshyld.

Next time: The elves go to war.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The thing about D&D casters is that they really only go off the rails if a DM is frankly dumb. It's bad computer game scenario stuff if you have a dungeon/fort/town/etc. where some heavily armed people can wander in, kill a dozen or so locals, then hole up for eight hours of rest, and none of the inhabitants leave their room/cave/house/etc. to investigate. Anyone trying that with me would get, "Okay, you all sleep for eight hours. You wake up. All of your spells are recovered. All sixty-three of the other orcs living in these caves are now in the room, staring at you. Roll for initiative." The thing that in theory is keeping a brake on the casters getting bonkers is the fact that they're expending a finite resource to do their thing. A DM allowing them to just plonk down a tent and sleep whenever is essentially removing the whole finite resource aspect. Where bad design comes in is the fact that most casters are completely useless once they've expended their spells. They can't benefit the party in even minor ways, they're just used up for the day. 4E fixed that somewhat with encounter and at-will powers, but of course 5E threw it all out with the bathwater.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Valatar posted:

The thing about D&D casters is that they really only go off the rails if a DM is frankly dumb. It's bad computer game scenario stuff if you have a dungeon/fort/town/etc. where some heavily armed people can wander in, kill a dozen or so locals, then hole up for eight hours of rest, and none of the inhabitants leave their room/cave/house/etc. to investigate. Anyone trying that with me would get, "Okay, you all sleep for eight hours. You wake up. All of your spells are recovered. All sixty-three of the other orcs living in these caves are now in the room, staring at you. Roll for initiative." The thing that in theory is keeping a brake on the casters getting bonkers is the fact that they're expending a finite resource to do their thing. A DM allowing them to just plonk down a tent and sleep whenever is essentially removing the whole finite resource aspect. Where bad design comes in is the fact that most casters are completely useless once they've expended their spells. They can't benefit the party in even minor ways, they're just used up for the day. 4E fixed that somewhat with encounter and at-will powers, but of course 5E threw it all out with the bathwater.

We've already gone over why everything but the last three sentences of this are wrong in this very thread not ten pages ago.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Retribution is the elf faction who wants to kill all human arcanists because they believe human magic is slowly killing their last remaining god*. Since the ability to use magic is randomly distributed throughout humanity it means that their end goal is genocide.

*Their reasoning on this point is somewhat spurious, based more on proximity than anything else. And the fact that the Retribution leaders are giant racists who will latch onto any excuse for a war.

As always, kill all elves.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Valatar posted:

"Okay, you all sleep for eight hours. You wake up. All of your spells are recovered. All sixty-three of the other orcs living in these caves are now in the room, staring at you. Roll for initiative."

What room? How'd they get into the interdimentional space the Wizard created via Rope Trick?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's not unbalanced after I put all these giant weights on the other end.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It seems to me like the elves probably should have worked on sending their gods home.

Plus, they have an 8 year limit on killing every human? That's a rough schedule to keep.

Now, Wizards have always been better than Fighters (don't believe their lies when they say that just happened in 3rd edition) but that's because none of Gygax's friends were ever as good as Robilar was so they needed the advantages.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 1, 2015

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Thanks for derailing the thread with yet more D&D talk, the least you could do is be correct! In 5e, cantrips are infinite and actually have definite uses in combat. In fact, they're about on par with a Fighter or Rogue's standard attacks as far as utility goes! Additionally, and where this whole stupid fight started, is that casters get tools to force the DM into a position where they either have to follow the rules and let all semblance of challenge fall out of the window, or break them to provide a consistent game experience.(Tiny Hut being the example used, even if it isn't the best example.) Finally and foremost, casters simply get more options to do what they want, where martials either interact with the hit-dude system or the skill system, neither of which allow the ridiculous flexibility or scenario-stomping power of spells.

In short, find something better to talk about because you're just going in circles and emphasizing what a bad poster you are.

How about we talk about those Retribution guys, and how much elves need to be slapped around?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Hypocrisy posted:

It seems to me like the elves probably should have worked on sending their gods home.

Plus, they have an 8 year limit on killing every human? That's a rough schedule to keep.

Now, Wizards have always been better than Fighters (don't believe their lies when they say that just happened in 3rd edition) but that's because none of Gygax's friends were ever as good as Robilar was so they needed the advantages.

Eighty years, not eight, but still it's not great. And that's assuming it actually works. Especially since the Seekers at least can point to "by the way Nyssor's alive and our being xenophobic dicks is indirectly responsible for what happened to his followers."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Eighty years, not eight, but still it's not great. And that's assuming it actually works. Especially since the Seekers at least can point to "by the way Nyssor's alive and our being xenophobic dicks is indirectly responsible for what happened to his followers."

Don't forget that it was a house Schyrr magister that came up with the prophecy, and fully half the Retribution's military force is supported by house Schyrr artificers and/or mages.

And the fact that the gods flat out told the elves when they left "Yeah, being here is slowly killing us, we need to leave otherwise you're all going to die with us." So Scyrah's current position shouldn't be surprising to them in the least.

I absolutely love the aesthetic of their fighting force but their plan currently amounts to "Hey we're going to die soon we should take as many humans with us as we can and also give our friends over there a bunch of money."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

They tried to update Ios with a new divinity app, but it wasn't compatible with the world's hardware.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

bathroomrage posted:

How about we talk about those Retribution guys, and how much elves need to be slapped around?

Imagine a boot stomping on an elven face- forever.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Outside of battle, Ghyrrshyld was eloquent and charismatic, so many were willing to follow him. However, in ^4547, his cousin's wife, Lysevyn, gave birth to a soulless child. There had been a lot of hope around the birth, as few direct lineage children of Vyre had been born in decades. When he heard, Ghyrrshyld rushed in, full of rage, seized the silent child and barged into the Consulate Court assembly, where he ranted about the failings of the court and then bashed the child's head in on the floor. His rantings got more and more intense about the need for war to avenge Scyrah, until his own men dragged him out. It was so shocking that no one was able to react for some time. but soon a warrant was issued for his arrest. When they tried to take him, House Vyre's guards opened fir, beginning the War of the Houses.

it spread quickly. House Vyre ralled the nobles of Iryss against the Consulate Court, while the other hallytyr did not understand or expect the alliance with so many lesser houses. The Five Great Military Houses could not expect anyone, much less a single house, to match their strength, especially after they beat a dragon at Issyrah. Ghyrrshyld's armor matched on Shyrr, using his knowledge of the place's defenses to seize it, with aid from internal collaborators. Most audiciously, he had riflemen and myrmidons lay siege to the House Silowuyr defenders, giving him time to march on the Consulariat. The key was that the defenses were meant to give a small force an advantage against a larger invader, so once entrenched, House Vyre was able to hold Shyrr's center for weeks. Still, the hallytyr refused to acknowledge him. He wanted this, so they were kept alive, but tortured. House Silowuyr fought the besieging forces with few casualties, but could not break free. However, this kept the Vyre army occupied and allowed Houses Nyarr and Ellowuyr to muster their forces with the aid of House Shyeel's myrmidons.

The clash was bloody but brief. The Vyre army soon realized that they couldn't keep this up, and Gyrrshyld would likely have slaughtered the consuls if not for a House Silowyr team that launched a desperate attack on the chamber, allowing the conuls to be rescued. The Vyre generals convinced their lord to withdraw in a fighting retreat to Iryss that started two years of war that would consume all of Ios...except for two of the Great Military Houses. House Rhyslyrr had suffered badly in the fall of Issyrah and remained guarding the Gate of Mists. House Issyen, however, simply did not participate. Some say they collaborated with Vyre, but no proof has ever been found. In any case, Ghyrrshyld spent ytwo years claiming he fought to unite Ios, but secretly gathered hundreds of infants, cruelly experimenting on them in the name of solving the soulless dilemma. The number of children killed this way can't be confirmed, but it was likely more than a thousand.

The Retribution of Scyrah was not directly involved until the end of the war, as they were outlawed and in exile. People sometimes believed Ghyrrshyld was Retritubtion, but this was not so. House Shyeel discovered the atrocities in late ^4548, leading the alliance against Vyre to greater urgency, committing to a full assault on Iryss led by the Dawnguard and Shyeel myrmidons. The hallytyr had avoided this before in hopes of sparing the sacred city, home of the fane of Scyrah, and the attackers attempted to protect the holy sites even as they assaulted it. Houses Nyarr and Shyeel convinced the Retribution to assist them in the attack, even those who had been members of House Vyre. It was a triumph, but not completely. Dawnlord Vyros Nyarr confronted Ghyrrshyld, but while he mortally wounded the warlord, the narcissar's bodyguard intervened and he escaped via trapped passageways. The rest of the Vyre army surrendered. House Vyre suffered much, justly, in those following decades. All known collaborators in Ghyrrshyld's deeper crimes were killed, and the house was almost destroyed entirely, stopped only by the begging of senior scholars. Perhaps out of guilt, many would go on to join the Seekers or the priesthood of Scyrah. It'd be years before anyone know what happened to Ghyrrshyld. Apparently, some time after his battle with Dawnlord Vyros, he became an unliving abomination, using the lore of the corrupt priests of Nyrro. It may have been willing or a last resort - that will never be known. He took refuge in the Nightmare Empire of Cryx.

In any case, at the start of the war, the Iosan border was closed entirely and the ambassadors recalled, preventing humans from learning of the civil war and the damage done to Ios. In the past thirty years, little has changed. Soulless children continue to be born and killed or givne to the Retrribution. Little thought was given to the Nyss, who left Darsael over 22 hecyion ago. It is known that their culture has almost no resemblance to that of Ios - they are hunters and nomads, speaking a simpler language, and their time in the mountains made their bodies seem alien. Were it not for Retribution and Seeker intelligence, it might have been that none would remember they even existed. Only now that it is far too late, it has been proven that they truly were chosen by Nyssor. Only a few years ago, they suffered total upheaval. Hostile invaders bearing dragonblight attacked them, forcing them to flee to northern Khador. It appears they were attacked by the forces of the dragon Ethrunbal, who annihilated Issyrah and who was believed sealed forever.

The Retribution was the first to investigate, and it was Eiryss, the Angel of Retribution, who discovered a secret the Nyss had kept for centuries. At some point after the Rivening, Nyssor returned to them. When they fled Ethrunbal, they carried Nyssor among them to keep him safe. He had sheathed himself in ice to slow his degradation, and then was protected by a stone casket inscribed with holy sigils. They sealed this below the city of Korsk, and the Khadorans knew nothing of it, save that they had agreed to give the Nyss sanctuary. Eiryss realized the importance and made her way to Korsk, where she found the guards slaughtered. She made her way to Nyssor's vault, where she saw the partially thawed god being attacked by Goreshade, the monster that had once been Lord Ghyrrshyld Vyre. He had stolen NYssor's sword, Voass, profaning it. He was unable to slay a god in one blow, however, and he fled at the send of her approach. Eiryss pursued Goreshade, but was unable to kill him, and instead was gravely injured, though allowed to live to pass on word of Goreshade's actions. Apparently, he still believes he has the secret to Iosan salvation, and will do anything to enact his mad plans. Eiryss gathered her strength and returned to Nyssor, where she saw that Khadoran mages had secured his vault for transport.

Eiryss fled to Ios to bring the news to them, that Nyssor was captive to the hated foe, and that Goreshade was going to kill him and any other gods he found. It was clear that between Cryx and Ethrunbal, swift action was needed. This brings us to now. The Retribution has been brought back to Ios, for no one can ignore the very real threat of human wizardry. They have helped bring the Nyss back to Ios as well. Houses Nyarr and Shyeel have come forward to support the Retribution, giving them immense military assets. Nyssor will be recovered, whatever the cost, and Goreshade will be defeated. The time to act must be now, and the next few years will be vital to determining whether the elves of Ios will survive. Failure is not an option.

The military organization of Ios is evolving now that hte Retribution has been put in charge. They don't have to hide any more, and while they are minority still, it's a growing one. They have access to a large chunk of Iosan military might, including hundreds of myrmidons and the Dawnguard legions of Nyarr. They are, however, still small compared to human armies and competing for resources within the Iosan borders with the Homeguard Coalition, who defend the borders. This has led to unconventional strategies and a unique doctrine of engagement. They focus on striking at the weakest point in their foes' armor, using spying and recon mixed with rapid redeployment to determine where to fight. It helps that the humans know very, very little about them. Ios has never been involved in any external war, largely due to its isolationism and rabid border protection, but they are extensively trained and experienced in internal warfare. The real reason, after all, that they sealed the borders in 581 AR was to hide their civil war. Further, they are fighting for the survival of the elven species and to save a god.

For centuries, the Iosan border has been guared by five of the high houses, Ellowuyr, Issyen, Nyarr, Rhyslyrr and Silowuyr. Each has a key fortress to guard as well as border patrols, and each house has their own specialty, but as a whole they are the Homeguard Coalition, alongside troops from dozens of lesser houses. In theory, it's all voluntary enlistment, but many are pressured to enlist by social obligation or desire for advancement. Officer commissions are lucrative and socially beneficial - you pretty much need to be an officer to get higher station. A tour lasts ten years. Poor families encourage their children to enlist to save on resources and improve standing, while the affluent houses are expected to serve to learn skills needed for leadership. It's not uncommon for families to pressure a soldier to serve at least one or two tours before they do anything else. It's ensured a standing army, but they're not all very diligent or skilled, and the Homeguard is plagued by opportunists and inept officers seeking safe posts. The officers from the Five Great Military Houses, however, are among the best trained and dedicated of Ios, as their records of service are tied to their standing in their house.

House Nyarr is noted for its heavy infantry traiend to fight alongside Myrmidons. House Elloweyr is famous for its renowned and aggressive swordsmen, while House Issyen is famous for cavalry. House Rhyslyrr is the home of peerless archers and riflemen, while House Silowuyr's soldiers are the post pious and the protectors of Shyrr. The largest border garrison is the Gate of Mists, guarding the entry to Ios. The next is the Gate of Storms on the Rhulic border, but Ios has never had any conflict with the Rhul. Recent increase in skorne activity has also led to constant alert at eastern Aeryth Dawnguard. The largest internal garrison is the training fortress Aeryth Ellowuyr, followed by the Shyrr garrison. Myrmidons are a rare accompaniment to the border patrols, which are largely infantry and cavalry supported by diviner surveillence. Superficially, little has changed with the rise of the Retribution, but in practice, House Nyarr is devoting two thirds of its soldiers to the Retribution and leaving only a third to cover their other responsibilities. Further, House Shyeel's myrmidons are all going to the Retribution, not the Homeguard, and they have a near monopoly on manufacturing and developing them, followed only by House Vyre, which hopes to take up the slack. An overt attack on Ios might exploit this defensive weakness, but the Retribution insists they will help fight, should that happen. Fortunately, the foreign reputation of Ios' border being impregnable may serve where the army cannot.

For now, the Retribution exists amidst turmoil. The government doesn't really like them, but they've been forced to recognize them by Nyarr and Shyeel, and the subtle threat of violence. No one wants another civil war. Therefore, the REtribution had to be accepted, and given the right to act with minimal oversight. The Consulate Court does not endorse or spport the REtribution as a state army. It does not act for Ios. Unfortunately, no human is really going to notice that, and they will still be held responsible for any Retribution attacks. The elves know that, and they don't like it. The leaders of the Retribution, the Nine Voices, have used the weakness of the Consulate Court to their advantage - they were willing to go to civil war if they had to, but were glad they didn't. They continue to try to convince houses to support their cause. Politically, they can't be vehemently opposed without giving the impression that whoever opposed them doesn't care about the gods, which makes for a very tense situation.

Next time: Force organization!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Houses Nyarr and Shyeel have been more tightly linked to the Retribution than anyone realized for decades. They've been secretly financing and giving military assistance to them for a long time, and now they're just open about it. They back it for pragmatic, not religious reasons, primarily. If they succeed, after all, they will have the unquesitoning support of the people and will be able to fundamentally transform and perhaps even rule Iosan society. It's a risky gamble, but they're committed now. With this open support, the Retribution ahs had to develop a hierarchy it didn't really have before. Not all of the mage hunters appreciate the new chain of command, but the military aid is great. Still, the partnership between them and the Dwanguard is tense and strained. The Dawnguard now have a lot of authority, while the mage hunters are advisors of them, pairing them for leadership. Dawnlord Vyros Nyarr is the head of the Retribution military, but his counterpart, Ravyn ('The Eternal Light') is the highest-ranking mage hunter. They have roughly comparable status but different areas of oversight. Resentment is common on both sides, and that can be a problem. Mage hunters tend to dislike the infelxible and regimented Dawnguard, and hate having to take barked orders. The Dawnguard see them as lacking discipline and respect.

Historically, the Retribution has been run by the Nine Voices from inside ios. Few had direct contact with them and they were shrouded in secrecy. However, that's begun to change. Most soldiers still don't have complete awareness of their identities, however. They just know that they have to obey. Technically, the Nine Voices are equal, but only technically. Four of them in particular prioritize Retribution goals and prepare the military. The most influential is Glyssor Syviis, an old guard assassin and spy whose deeds are legendary. He's the only one whose name is really known very well. Another respected leader is Espionage Liaisson Kelsyr Yrryel, a tough old veteran who helped shape the Retribution and served as an ambassador for 50 years. He returned to Ios at the start of the civil war, and no longer needed to keep his Retribution ties secret. Consuls Caelcyr Nyarr and Hyselle Shyeel were until recently the most secret members of the Nine Voices, but no longer have to be now that they've openly declared their loyalties. They are two of the most important shot callers thanks to their rank, but they often must send proxies due to their responsibilities.

The remaining five Voices are less overtly influential. Quaestor Nyr Voshan was a major crime boss in Shyrr who oversaw smuggling operations and now serves as the Retribution quartermaster. Keldeacon Synvas Uithuyr is a former mage hunter, retired after injury, who oversees training and recruitment. Jarmry of Eyvreyn is an old arcanist, a controversial master of magic whose techniques are currenly out of favor but who understands the threat of human magic more than anyone. Oracle Relvinor Luynmuyr works to ensure Scyrah's will is not forgotten, and he is arguably the most fanatical and charismatic of the Voices, working to spread their religious message throughout Ios. His top aide, Orator Lysenne Bylvesh, was once a more conservative member of the Fane of Scyrah before he met her, and she's done a lot to bring additional converts from the priesthood.

The Retribution mayb e greatly increased in size, but the core of the old organization remains. The mage hunters are still the fundamental embodiment of their goals. They opreate in cells to assassinate human wizards and warcasters, gather information and sabotage arcane research and mechanika production. They work to undermine human organizations of wizards, like the Greylords Covenant or the Militant Order of the Arcane Tempest, as well as private organizations like the Fraternal Order of Wizardry or the Order of the Golden Crucible. They are devoted to secrecy and speed, and they work as the Retribution's spies and assassins, helped by sleeper agents embedded throughout the Iron Kingdoms. Several of them are warcasters, and they are some of the deadliest strike leaders, moving as they are needed. A small but fanatical priesthood actively supports the mage hunters, using a radical interpretation of Scyrah's teachings, viewing her as a battle maiden, not a peaceful avatar of spring. They believe that human gods worked to strike her and the Divine Court down.

The mage hunters believe that every dead wizard helps Scyrah recover a little, as does every destroyed human mechanika. With full war, they hope to end human magic permanently and restore the goddess to health. No measure is too extreme. If they have to kill every warcaster, wizard and warjack, so be it. Finding skilled mage hunters and training them isn't easy, though, and most of the new Retribution members are soldiers. It takes a special mix of skill, ruthlessness and zeal to become a good mage hunter, and they're always looking for new recruits to train at the Syvash Stronghold. Those that survive the difficult early training can get more specialized training as trackers, swordsmen, marskman, mechanikal saboteurs or intrusion experts. At the top of the field are the living legnds like Eiryss or Garryth, Blade of Retribution.

The Dawnguard are a martial order dating back millenia, a verstaile army wielding the most advanced Iosan arms and armor. They are drilled and absolutely loyal to House Nyarr. They serve the Retribution out of orders, not personal commitment. They come in three branches. The Sentinals, the Invictors and the Destors. The first two are elite infantry, and the Destors are heavy cavalry. Officer commission in the Dawnguard is a mix of performance and blood ties to Nyarr, though in history there have been non-Nyarr leadership. Technically, all dawnlords are equal under Consul Nyarr, but Dawnlord Vyros Nyarr is the ranking field commander. The houseguard recruits are not nearly so simple or cohesive - they're loose volunteers or collections of House soldiers. They make up the rank and file, and most of them are veterans who actually believe in the Retribution cause. Others, of course, are there to try and make alliance with NYarr and Shyeel rather than for actual belief. These tend to be more pragmatic but no less skilled. Most of them are halberdiers or rifleman and serve as the man body of the Retribution army. They die most often in battle, which gets them deep respect.

The Retribution has divided its forces into three divisions. Two are standing strike armies, which include most of the Dawnguard and houseguard, while the third is primarily mage hunters. The main strike army, the Talons of Dawn, are led by Vyros NYarr personally. They handle high priority objectives, and most recently were dispatched to Khador to reclaim Nyssor. The secondary army, Scyrah's Blade, are there to support the main army or do simultaneous attacks on other targets. They are commanded by Dawnlord Cyrsyll Nyarr, a cousin of Vyros. She's been given the longterm job of expanding Ios' borders. The third division, the Unseen Spear, is made of ancillary strike teams that make smaller strikes and operations unrelated to the main armies. They are supervised by Dawnguard Issyr Rylavos, but sometimes receive orders directly from the Nine Voices. The senior warcaster commanding them is Kaelyssa, called Night's Whisper, an exemplary and loyal strike team leader. They largely work in enemy territory in secret, operating closely with field agents and using hidden bunkers and weapons caches. They are out of contact for long periods.

The Retribution has some unexpected allies, thanks to public sentiment. The Fane of Scyrah has sent advisors to them, knowing that thanks to the Retribution they've lost a lot of political clout and are seen as timid. They have to understand the Retribution if they wish to quell the unrest. Their religious differences seem irreconcilable, however. The fane believes any priestly magic drains Scyrah, which is why they really haven't wanted to commit to extreme action, and they believe the Retribution is causing great harm to the goddess. The Retribution, however, believe they have ways to use this power without harming Scyrah. Further, they insist that any energy they use in insignificant compared to the damage human arcanists do. Despite this, there are Fane priests who sympathize with the Retribution, even at high ranks. Aurican Avross Larisar and Glyssor Syviis periodically meet in secret to discuss Scyrah. In addition, several of the FAne Knights have accompanied Retribution armies, seeking to test their claims. The Seekers, a more moderate sect, have reluctantly also offered their advice, perhaps to try and encourage the Retribution away from widespread systematic violence. Their arcanists cooperate as necessary, but they never enjoy it. The Retribution knows some of this is about spying on them, but as long as they're useful, that's fine.

The Retribution lacks the same experience identifying and training warcasters as human armies have. Fortunately, Houses Shyeel and Nyarr have effective methods, which they've passed on to the Retribution. Finding new warcasters is a top priority. Their authority is less defined than in human armies - they may not always have complete command over their forces, though in practice they have a lot of operational oversight. The importance of their magic and myrmidons means they always have a central role, and the problem is when mage hunter warcasters try to give orders to Dawnguard officers. They don't like it. It's never a problem for warcasters in authority, though - Dawnguard Vyros Nyarr and Adeptis Rahn Shyeel are widely recognized by their houses, and Ravyn, the Eternal Light, speaks with the authority of the Nine Voices. The hard part is for folks like Garryth, Blade of Retribution, or Kaelyssa, Night's Whisper. They can expect mage hunter obedience but rarely lead large task forces.

In the past, myrmidons were rarely used against humans for fear of their capture or discovery, though there were exceptions, kept carefully secret. Most humans don't even realize myrmidons exist, in fact. That'll change soon, but it's useful now. They differ from human and Rhulic warjacks significantly. They don't need convential supply lines due to their arcantrik power sources, allowing them much greater mobility. Damaged myrmidons still need parts and soliders still need food and ammo, so supply lines are still needed, but constant fuel supplies are not, which gives them greater speed and range of redeployment, and allows easier stockpiling of gear. However, myrmidons can't constantly run at peak capacity - it depletes their energy cells quickly and requires them to sit idle and recharge. That means planning and logistics are a huge deal - if a battle goes too long, they'll be depleted, and won't be ready for the unexpected. This weakness must be kept secret as long as possible. Unlike humans, myrmidons don't have to be hauled around on trains or wagons - the trickle of power from their arcane condensers is enough to allow constant movement at a moderate pace, typically leaving th arcantrik field, arms and weapons unpowered. Switching to full readiness can take several minutes, and in this state a myrmidon that is ambushed is easily destroyed before it's ready to fight, which is only made worse by rapid marches that gradually drain their energy reserves.

Established procedure is to move as quickly as possible between points of safety and avoid conflict. At each safe point, you recharge the myrmidons to full before moving on, ideally allowing them to become fully charged before fighting. Planning and proper recon are essential, and the Retribution is not good at handling surprised or protracted battle. Myrmidons are a limited resource, so warcasters don't always get the ones they want. The Talons of Dawn usually get first pick, then Scyrah's Blade, then the Unseen Spear. Myrmidon allocation is handled by House Shyeel, which sometimes uses it as political clout. Adeptis Rahn can expect whatever he fuckin' wants, for example, even over Vyros. Every officer knows the importance of treating House Shyeel with respect if they want the best out of their myrmidons.

Next time: Hands of Retribution

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Garryth, Blade of Retribution, is a fanatic even among mage hunters. He is a cold-blooded killer who cares nothing for those he kills. No warcaster in all of Ios has his experience in fighting humans. He was discovered and recruited from the criminal underworld of Shyrr - a natural killer without regret, hesitation or remorse. He adapted quickly to mage hunter training, and was taught an ancient Lyossan fighting style once used by suicidal warrior-monks of Ossyria. They would stalk enemy commanders from the shadows in battle, taking them out one by one. Garryth seems himself similarly - he ends battles, he doesn't fight them. Though he can lead others, he prefers to estay aloof. Behind the brooding is a mind always working, torn between dedication to his mission and a desire to kill all humans right now. At times, he indulges his dark hatred, becoming an unstoppable fiend capable of doing things even the Retribution would shy away from. In his mind, Scyrah is a wounded warrior-maiden who demands vengeance. Unlike most warcasters of the Retribution, he has spent little time in Ios these past few decades. He lived in the field, studying his nation's foes, and he has more experience than most other warcasters at pitting myrmidons against humans - his only real peers are veterans like Narn and Eiryss. Garryth enjoys his work a lot, and has long waited for the day when the shackles on his killing urges would be removed. His gimmick is traps and debuffs, and his feat allows him to shut down any and all magic nearby.

Kaelyssa, Night's Whisper, is the leader of the mage hunters. She's casual in her leadership and prefers to befriend her subordinates, mixing professionalism, cleverness and biting wit. In battle, however, she is a predator with an almost supernatural awareness of her surroundings. Her sergeants claim she can hear the heartbeats of her foes and taste their movements in the air. She prefers cover of darkness, firing runebolts through solid walls to kill her prey tracelessly. Outside of battle, her informal and relaxed personality can be confusing to some. What they mistake for impiety as actually a result of total immersion in the cause. Kaelyssa's parents were Retribution and she was raised among their cells. She saw them put themselves in danger and expects the same for herself. Her belief in Scyrah and mage hunting are bone-deep. It was early on that she showed her sorcerous talents, and the Shyeel fostered her ability at unraveling magic. She has integrated those powers into her combat style now, leaving wizards defenseless against her. She has risen rapidly despite her youth, leading over a dozen assaults abroad. She was recently put in charge of the Unseen Spear's operations, and refuses to accept failure. She finds her job dangerous but thrilling, and she tries to use all her talents every mission. No one doubts that she has potential - it just remains to be seen how far she'll rise. Her gimmick is countermagic and turning magic against the enemy, mixed in with stealth. Her feat allows her to stealth everyone nearby.

Adeptis Rahn Shyeel is one of the most powerful arcanists of the generation, a master of force manipulation. With a thought, he can generate storms of kinetic power. When he speaks, he backs down to no one, no matter what their rank - at least when it comes to his dominion, which is magic. He is the embodiment of the battle mage discilpine. He focuses on control of raw force, and in that he is an undisputed leader. He is imperious and unflinching, treating all discussions as if they were fights. He is arguably even more influential in House Shyeel than Consul Hyselle, whom he answers to. It is he, after all, who commands the battle mages. He is not an artificer, but has great sway over myrmidon design. Before he openly joined the Retribution, he toured Ios testing myrmidon chassis and making ties with House Nyarr over their needs in myrmidons. Rahn is a pragmatist, and not a true believer in the Retribution's cause. They are a convenient lever for social change, to raise himself House Shyeel to greater heights. Selfish? Sure. But he needs that confidence to wield his power. His philosophy is to utterly control all within his reach and ignore all that is not. Scyrah will not die before he does, so he doesn't bother himself about that. That's someone else's job. His power goes hand in hand with his ruthlessness, and he enjoys war. Violent magic is beautiful, to him, and he relishes battle. His gimmick is force blasts. So much force. So much force. His feat increases the range of spells and their damage.

Ravyn, Eternal Light, is a beacon of hope within the Retribution, admired for her dedication to Shyeel and her skill as a leader and warrior. Off the field, she is calm and wise. In battle, she is invincible. She never holds back, entering a state of detachment as she accepts death. Her weapon, Hellebore, becomes an extension of her self as she fires, strikes with it, then fires again. She sweeps through the enemy in a whirlwind of death. She doesn't enjoy, but she does not hesitate. When Scyrah is restored, she will welcome peace. Ravyn spent most of her adult life as a FAne Knight, and she helped fight against House Vyre's atrocities. Her band was always at the front, and she turned the tirde with her team of ten knights, defeating an army five hundred strong by careful use of her myrmidons to kill the blockade leaders. She personally slaughtered dozens, and the army surrendered, as did many other forces when she confronted them, earning her the title of hero. Five years ago, she joined the Retribution unexpectedly, but it was no hasty decision. It was made only after long deliberation in secret with Orator Lysenne Bylvesh, second in command of the Retribution clergy and one of the Nine Voices. Ravyn was persuaded that the Retribution had evidence that they could restore Scyrah. She was given the title of Eternal Light to represent the hope she embodies. She is the primary battlefield liaison and will lead the fight abroad. Despite her short history with them, her name is synonymous with serving Scyrah and Ios, so she has been embraced as proof of their righteousness. Ravyn's gimmick is ranged combat. She's really good at it and supproting it, and her feat lets her boost the ranged attacks and movement of everyone around her.

Dawnlord Vyros Nyarr is the heir presumptive of his house and one of the most politically powerful people in Ios. He's also a warcaster backed by the entire Dawnguard. Few know his full ambition, but his current actions are only the start of larger machinations. He is friends with Adeptis Rahn and his uncle, Consul Caelcyr Nyarr, and he believes the military might of the new Retribution is his to use against any obstacle. He is the son of Caelcyr's younger brother Hylos, dead of a wasting disease, and he is the clear choice for heir. Publicly, he's said he has no interest, but those who know him know that ruling Nyarr is key to his plans. He was pivotal in the War of the Houses and faced Ghyrrshyld directly, losing an eye but delivering what should have been a deathblow. (It wasn't his fault Ghyrrshyld turned himself into a vampire eldritch.) Vyros occasionally hopes to get a chance to put that creature to a final death. For now, however, he is consolidating his control on the Retribution. The Dawnguard are absolutely loyal to him, and via Rahn he has influence over myrmidons and battle mages. He has a reputation for blodness and being forthright, leading by example. His men are proud to serve under him, and even his hobbies, such as falconry, are turned to war applications. He can link his mind to that of his hawk, Jyren, to use to survey the battlefield. To outsiders, he appears a selfless and heroic commander, as he has worked to keep his ambitions private. He has endorsed the Retribution ebcause he believes Ios needs new leaders. Recovering Nyssor and restoring Scyrah are Retribution goals, but for Vyros they are just an opening act in a drama he wants to end with him as the supreme ruler of an elven empire. His gimmick is just being a goddamn tough rear end in a top hat. He buffs stuff and breaks stuff. His feat lets him improve his warjacks by killing poo poo near them.

The Chimera is just over nine feet tall and just under 2 and a half tons. It can be unsettling to its enemies, because its active power field makes its form blur and fade, sometimes appearing several feet from its actual location. Even at rest, it seems to be moving. Once near the enemy, it serves as a delivery mechanism for magic channeled through its arc node as well as using its arm-mounted glaives to attack soldiers before appearing to vanish and reappear elsewhere. The components it uses are rare, so while it is in high demand, it's had limited production. Most warcasters would use as many as they could get their hands on, and arc nodes play into the old Iosan doctrine of extending magical power as the key to success. Best of all, its glaives are arm-mounted so it has free hands to wrestle with.

The Gorgon is nine feet tall and two and a quarter tons. Its job is simple: deprive the enemy of mobility. It relies on manipulation and generation of kinetic fields, firing force blasts from its force cannon that can stop forward momentum as well as do great damage. Its more potent fields requier clsoer proximity, however, and so it will rush in to grab 'jacks and pin them in place with its energy field, then punish them with the same sort of arm-mounted glaives as are used on the Chimera. It's taken decades to perfect those force manipulation technologies, and it means regulating the power field to create a kinetic anchor that can seize and lock things in place. That required a particularly powerful generator for the small chassis, which would later be applied to increase the efficiency of all Shyeel myrmidons.

The Griffon is nine feet tall and just over two and a half tons. It is made for rapid deployment and flanking, with a power field that lets it become nearly weightless for short bursts, allowing it to leap impossible distances and negotiate terrain that would be difficult for machines of similar weight. It sweeps around entrenchments to attack from the rear or flank, often rushing well ahead of the main line. Its durability and long operational time make it a potent asset, especially because it's relatively cheap to build. It gets handed out liberally - in fact, there's twice as many Griffons as any other myrmidon.

Next time: Forces of Retribution

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Hydra is just over twelve feet tall and weighs 5 and a quarter tons. It is a highly self-reliant myrmidon, able to convert raw kinetic energy from incoming attacks into a retributive firestorm. It has force generators in its fights, which allow it to hurl crushing blows and toss aside even the strongest and most massive foes. Excess energy is stored in its arcane batteries to enhance its strength. Once powered, the Hydra's reserves last until they are used, making it a favorite for travel. Experienced commanders make it a top priority to keep them fully powered once battle starts, and after that they need little more than mental guidance, as the battery will keep topped up due to enemy attacks.

The Manticore is over twelve feet tall and nearly five and a half tons. It is the most physically potent of all Iosan myrmidons, ferocious and unforgiving. Its attacks are earthshaking, and its strength is only bolstered by its cyclone cannon, a force weapon fueled by the generator poerin its kinetic field. This equal capacity in melee or at range lends the Manticore to versatile tactics. The cannon is a rapid fire weapon, able to lay down suppressive fire in support or concentrated fire to take out several targets at once.

The Phoenix is over thirteen feet tall and weights six and a half tons. It is the embodiment of Iosan power, with a power field so potent that it is blindingly bright, and a thermal blade that ignites everything around it with liquid fire. It's costly to produce, but well worth it. It was designed to deliver its onboard arc node to the enemy's heart, extending the warcaster's reach extensively, but in a different way than the Chimera. The Phoenix is all durability and raw power, with a power field that regenerates automatically and which can ignite the very air around it, if the fiery sword, ready fist and flaming halo cannon weren't enough.

The Dawnguard Invcitors are the bulk of the Dawnguard, a versatile heavy infantry force specialized in supporting myrmidons. They use their sword cannons as they close with the foe, then just the blades in melee. They were originally founded in Lyoss as an auxiliary to the Sentinels and Destors, but have become the DAwnguard mainstay as weaponry and tactics evolved. The Invictors are deadly in range and melee, allowing them to fill many roles, and most Dawnguard forts are exclusively manned by Invictors. They are often the first to fire, engage and endure an attack. OVer the last few centuries, the use of myrmidons have become vital to Nyarr battle doctrine, and the Invictors drill alongside them, mastering support tactics. In fact, some Invictor commanders are given their own myrmidons as a mark of distinction, particularly Griffons.

Occasionally an Invictor OFficer and Standard will accompany an Invictor unit. These captains are peerless veterans responsible for hundreds of subordinates, and they are devoted to the Dawnguard, sworn to live and die with weapons ready. They measure success by performance of the company and usually don't care about individual heroics, encouraging camaraderie and cooperation over individual accomplishment. That applies in both success and failure - the failures of one are the failures of all. Those who seek glroy but endanger their peers are shamed as much as those who fail to perform. The officers are stern and unforgiving, but willing to fight tooth and nail for their squads. All invictors are extensively drilled in coordinated actions, and that's particularly true of a captain's personal team. They instinctively obey the captain's orders, and this discipline allows for devastating combined fire at unprecedented range.

Dawnguard Sentinels are the shock troops of the dawnguard, armed with immense blades. They are heavily armored and can carve through pretty much anyone, even in the face of overwhelming casualties. They will fight to the last elf, no matter what. They see themselves as the timeless essence of the Dawnguard, inheritors of a legacy dating back to those who died to saved the Lyossan refugees after the Cataclysm. There is great prestige in being a Sentinel, and they are chosen only from the strongest and most resolute. They are trained for decades to die for their kin, and they see their family and order as identical, as a sort of destiny to serve. They are always vigilant, the guardians of the Dawnguard ideal, pure in doctrine. Some accuse them of obsession with ceremony and ritual, but they believe these symbols are essential to their purpose. Doctrine insists on constant readiness to march, fearing no death. The Sentinels are not guards - they are proactive in confronting the enemy.

A Sentinel Officer and Standard sometimes joins the Sentinels in battle. Sentinel captains are the most disciplined of the Dawnguard, willing to do anything to honor the order and House Nyarr. They are most often of the Nyarr bloodline, educated from an early age. They begin training as soon as they can lift their blades, living in a constant pattern of practice, conditioning, drill and study in order to fulfill their obligations, viewing soldiery as a way of life and leadership a task trained in them from birth. They are unshakably loyal and devoted.

The Dawnguard Destors are the elite cavalry of the Dawnguard, used to support infantry offensives by attacking where the enemy is weakest. Once they penetrate the lines, they wheel around and fire with their ingenious lance cannons, which allow for shocking accuracy even at a full gallop. They Dawnguard is most known for infantry, and the Destors have always been the smallest part of the order. They are respected, but underrepresented. Those drawn to the life embrace their standing, working tirelessly to prove themselves on the battlefield. Firing accurately from horseback is very hard and takes a lot of practice even for those with a talent for it. The Destors are always used to cripple and destroy hard targets or to break some crucial part of the enemy line.

Next time: The Houseguard

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't know what the deal is with that elven armor design but I want none of it, whatever it is.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Night10194 posted:

I don't know what the deal is with that elven armor design but I want none of it, whatever it is.

They all look like weird mutant egg-people to me.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
It's like somebody hired Apple to design a line of 40K Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What, you've never seen fantasy elf space marines before?

House Shyeel Battle Mages make magic a military science. They travel in squads, wielding power like a weapon. They favore raw evoked force to any esoterica, and are typically as stern and direct as their spells. They mix the arcane and the martial, training for physical combat to refine their mental control. They are fearless, armed with massive arcanika-charged gauntlets that give them supernatural strength, while their magic allows them to deflect incoming fire and shrapnel. They are strategically deployed throughout the Retribution to involve House Shyeel in all major operations. House leaders don't want to sit around just making myrmidons, you see. They want to be on the front lines, preserving house interests, and some have said it's a step towards becoming a Great Military House.

The Houseguard Halberdiers are an unbroken martial tradition predating even Lyoss. Even in the hands of a new recruit, the halberd is deadly, and most houseguard are career soldiers who've drilled for years in formation. They know all the maneuvers by heart, a tide of rising and falling steel. Because they are drawn from many lesser households, there's a lot of variance in their armor and uniforms, but the basic halberd is constant and based on ancient tradition. The manpower of the houseguard is what allows the Retribution to take their battles to human kingdoms, for the halberdiers are the lifeblood of the army, fully aware that they will be the most frequent casualties.

The best units get a Halberdier Officer and Standard. The officers are consummate warriors, leading by example. Most once served in the Homeguard Coalition, drilling at the border and interior garrisons. They have replaced safety for war, risking their lives on foreign soil - the chance to serve they always wanted, putting unused skills to the test. For many, the cause is holy. Their companies joined for many reasons, and so have the officers. Some are loyal to nobles who donated soldiers to the Retribution, while others embrace the cause. Some companies stay tight-knit due to kinship ties, but others are volunteers from many houses. Officers must forge their men into disciplined groups, acting as one body. In time, some will become heroes while others die, but there will always be another to pick up the banner.

Houseguard Riflemen come from all walks of Iosan life. Companies of them have joined the Retribution en masse, serving as the long-reaching line with their heavy rifles against the humans who vastly outnumber them. Each house keeps riflemen based on its needs and means, but they cost more than halberdiers. Outfitting and maintaining a company of rifleman isn't cheap, but it's worth it. A large force of them is quite powerful, and Ios prefers quality to quantity when it comes to them. Every rifleman has spent years drilling with their weapons and squads. They are professionals of the highest caliber, trained to carefully aim, that each trigger pull might be a kill.

The best get a Rifleman Officer and Standard, leaders of the rifleman companies. They are even more vital to success than the training of the riflemen. Judgment calls are the difference between victory and defeat, and a rifleman captain must be able to gauge the strength of the foe accurately, directing fire where it's most needed. They have to work smoothly with the convoluted plans of the mage hunters and Dawnguard, knowing to hold fire until the first mage hunter ambush, ensuring patience and focus, keeping fears in check. After decades fo directing fire, they know better than anyone the pressure they can put on an enemy with just a few dozen rifles in the right place. Riflemen with a good captain will stay steady even in the face of the enemy, waiting until the last moment and so increasing the impect of every shot.

The Mage Hunter Strike Forces are the traditional core of the Retribution, waging a secret war on humanity for centuries. They have refined their ability to recruit agents with the right mix of dedication, talent and instinct to train into warriors and killers. Mage hunters function in situations soldiers rarely have to face, like surviving deep in enemy territory without support. They learn to be at home anywhere, to improvise and scavenge, and to kill without hesitation. EVen in battle, they use misdirection and stealth to ambush foes, always focusing on enemy arcanists and mechanikal constructs. They use personal experience as much as training to disable mechanikal systems easily. You're not a full hunter until you've been in the field, working on life and death odds. Those who lack the skill don't last long. Those who do are hardened, eventually becoming able to operate independently. Mage hunters are a zealous fellowship, all united by their firm belief in the Retribution cause. Failure is not just shame, but disappointment to Scyrah, and so each mage hunter has a firm conviction and amazing focus.

Mage Hunter Strike Force Commanders are senior operatives, veterans who lead small teams. They are leaders as well as killers, promoted and entrusted with the lives of dozens, even entire cells. These commanders lead senior teams who are well-versed in Retribution tactics, planning everything to the last detail and evaluating foes precisely. They slip past the outer defenses before battle and can even fire bolts through walls, terrifying their foes from shadows and secrecy. This has been found useful in battle - they don't have to see enemies to shoot them. By necessity, they can't frequently contact Retribution leadership, so they are trained to act autonomously, even if it means they have to decide the mission is more important than survival.

Stormfall Archers are walking artillery, armed with alchemical arrows. They use immense compound bows to launch these arrows across entire battlefields, but they're far more agile than the slow-moving cannons of human kingdoms. They move in, open fire and fall back before anyone can respond - a very Retribution tactic. They originated with House Rhysfyrr, but their techniques quickly spread to many ancillary houses. While most remain with the Homeguard Coalition, a good number have joined the houseguard and Retribution. They are more likely to be discussing angles of descent and attack vectors than Scyrah's plight, but that doesn't mean they all lack piety - it's just that being a stormfall archer is a specialized job, and they take great pride in it and in constantly improving their skills.

Next time: The Soulless and the Solos

• Locked thread