Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Let us know how that one turns out. I've never tried curry paste before.

Has anyone ever vizzled their wieners here? I'm thinking of doing some bratwursts and maybe Italian sausage tomorrow. There's some recipes out there and it all seems pretty straightforward but additional suggestions never hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm doing bratwurst at 140F right now. I've made them once before, going by this recipe. I seared them over a charcoal chimney starter last time. This time I'm just going with plain brats in the bag and I'm going to use a torch because it is raining.

Last time I had a couple 'are you sure these are cooked' comments but everyone loved them. Very tender.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I heard you wanted a hotdog
I don't cook hotdogs
But if I did I would sous-vide 'em
Put 'em on a plate and hold 'em out so you could see 'em
and flush 'em down the crapper like an Oscar Mayer BM

I'm the Expert Chef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHOUQM97QyA

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Filets turned out wonderfully. Going to try some salmon tomorrow - I guess brining it for 30m beforehand is an important step.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Curry paste trip report.

I pulled out the smaller pieces and sliced them thin-ish the tossed them in a hot wok to heat.

Pro:
Meat was tender and flavorful.
Curry was not an overpowering flavor

Con:
Curry paste and meat did not make enough bag juice for a sauce.
Perhaps next time I'll scoop out some of the paste and cut it with stock/coco-milk.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Tonight's dinner, three hours at 129 and finished on the BBQ. Potatoes and Asparagus, a great Father's Day dinner!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kensei posted:

Tonight's dinner, three hours at 129 and finished on the BBQ. Potatoes and Asparagus, a great Father's Day dinner!

Goodness, I can see the flavor. Great pic.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I could use some ideas for what works well with chicken breast. I'm kind of curious what would happen if I slathered it in red or yellow curry paste. Or mixed in coconut milk.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nuru posted:

I could use some ideas for what works well with chicken breast. I'm kind of curious what would happen if I slathered it in red or yellow curry paste. Or mixed in coconut milk.

toplitzin posted:

Curry paste trip report.

I pulled out the smaller pieces and sliced them thin-ish the tossed them in a hot wok to heat.

Pro:
Meat was tender and flavorful.
Curry was not an overpowering flavor

Con:
Curry paste and meat did not make enough bag juice for a sauce.
Perhaps next time I'll scoop out some of the paste and cut it with stock/coco-milk.

Making the curry in the bag would probably work better, but perhaps if you did the all the ingredients themselves SV. Potato, carrot, onion, then drop the heat and do the chicken.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 23, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Wow, the odds of that post happening are so low yet I missed it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My Anova Precision Cooker rattles and it's driving me loving crazy. The impeller keeps hitting something inside. I can "fix" it but it keeps starting to rattle.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Boris Galerkin posted:

My Anova Precision Cooker rattles and it's driving me loving crazy. The impeller keeps hitting something inside. I can "fix" it but it keeps starting to rattle.

Are you sure it's something inside? Mine was making a terrible noise and I discovered it was actually vibrating the cooler very slightly which was tapping the window it was sitting against.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I'm holding it in my hand in the middle of my container nowhere near a wall. It might not be the impeller but either way I hope Anova's return policy is pretty awesome cause this is not useable.

e: it's actually inside the motor that something is rattling. What the hell.

e2: This online chat support is precious.

Me: "My anova rattles both with and without the skirt attached, it is coming from inside the unit."
Them: "Make sure the skirt is pushed back all the way and twisted so that it's locked in :downs:"

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 24, 2015

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I'm holding it in my hand in the middle of my container nowhere near a wall. It might not be the impeller but either way I hope Anova's return policy is pretty awesome cause this is not useable.

Me: "My anova rattles both with and without the skirt attached, it is coming from inside the unit."
Them: "Make sure the skirt is pushed back all the way and twisted so that it's locked in :downs:"

Go complain in /r/sousvide and the main guy (Bill?) will help you out. I think I'm partially responsible for their decent support nowadays after my unit broke back over Christmas and I called and emailed them a combined total of at least 50 times before I got a response. This was after they already received my broken unit and ignored me entirely when I asked for weeks and weeks and weeks what was the status of the rma.

I

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Mine makes the same noise. Did you ever get your issue resolved?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

ObesePriest posted:

Mine makes the same noise. Did you ever get your issue resolved?

Not really. They sent me a fedex label to get an exchange.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not really. They sent me a fedex label to get an exchange.

Those bastards

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I used to just boil chicken in stock to make chicken salad, but now that I got an Anova, I'm thinking of using that with my food saver (which I already had). Googling temps and times seems to have a debate on the this specifically for chicken salad with some people saying use 140, 145, or 150 at any where from 1-4 hours to it don't matter, as long as you want. Just looking for some advice.

Also, should I put anything in the bad to add to flavor, or does that not really matter either? I usually whip up some mayo with avocado oil (tastes sooo good). and mix the chicken with some green onions and almonds. This is for a week of lunches for two people so I usually use 3 lbs of chicken.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm finding this thing is pretty cool. I just made this :

http://paleomg.com/pineapple-caribbean-jerk-filet-mignon/

and being absolutely retarded in the kitchen, it came out so awesome, I'm buying tons of steaks to try.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Kenji, at Serious Eats just did a whole SV chicken salad series about a month back. He recommends 150 and while I haven't tried his chicken salad recipe, I've generally found his SV temp suggestions to be about right for my tastes. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/06/the-best-classic-chicken-salad-recipe.html

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

Kenji, at Serious Eats just did a whole SV chicken salad series about a month back. He recommends 150 and while I haven't tried his chicken salad recipe, I've generally found his SV temp suggestions to be about right for my tastes. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/06/the-best-classic-chicken-salad-recipe.html

It's funny that he recommends 150 for chicken salad because I could swear he used 140 for just regular chicken. I usually set the vizzler at 142F and go 2-4 hours.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Ultimate Mango posted:

It's funny that he recommends 150 for chicken salad because I could swear he used 140 for just regular chicken. I usually set the vizzler at 142F and go 2-4 hours.

Yeah, that's why I asked, I got a whole range of temps. It seems people like to go a bit higher when the application of the chicken is cold (for sandwiches or salad), as opposed to hot. I'm thinking it's a texture thing?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've never been led astray by Kenji, Thomas Keller or Mario Batali. Everything they write about looks awesome.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, that's why I asked, I got a whole range of temps. It seems people like to go a bit higher when the application of the chicken is cold (for sandwiches or salad), as opposed to hot. I'm thinking it's a texture thing?

Yeah, speaking from my own experience, dealing with 140 chicken that's cooled off doesn't do it for me. The texture is a little too close to what I associate with undercooked.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LorneReams posted:

Yep.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/sous-vide-chicken-salad.html

quote:

With sous-vide chicken served hot, I'll usually cook to around 145°F, a temperature which is extremely moist and juicy. With the cold chicken, however, It felt almost too moist and tender, giving the chicken a texture that almost seemed raw (despite being fully cooked and safe to eat). I decided to increase the temperature to 150°F, a range in which the chicken is still plenty moist, but has a firmness closer to that of traditional roasted or poached chicken.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That chicken salad looks incredible and I need to try it.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Veritek83 posted:

Yeah, speaking from my own experience, dealing with 140 chicken that's cooled off doesn't do it for me. The texture is a little too close to what I associate with undercooked.

I had the same problem with pork butt at 140. It was amazing hot, but kinda gross cold.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I use sous vide chicken for various cold Chinese dishes, and I definitely prefer it at 150°F rather than 140°F. The 140°F chicken has an unusual squishy texture when it's chilled.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Is there a consensus on whether to marinate salmon in bag or not? And best temp/times? I know I shouldn't use any kind of acid in the marinade since it'll cook it over the longer cook time.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

novamute posted:

Is there a consensus on whether to marinate salmon in bag or not? And best temp/times? I know I shouldn't use any kind of acid in the marinade since it'll cook it over the longer cook time.

Ignoring any effect acidity might have on the flavor on a long cook: if you use acid on the marinade you need to cook longer to achieve pasteurisation, some bacteria thrive on acidic environment and it takes longer to achieve the proper bacterial reduction.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

deimos posted:

Ignoring any effect acidity might have on the flavor on a long cook: if you use acid on the marinade you need to cook longer to achieve pasteurisation, some bacteria thrive on acidic environment and it takes longer to achieve the proper bacterial reduction.

This is alarming. How do you know how much longer to cook it for?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bob_McBob posted:

I use sous vide chicken for various cold Chinese dishes, and I definitely prefer it at 150°F rather than 140°F. The 140°F chicken has an unusual squishy texture when it's chilled.

I usually do it at 150 because it's good and moist hot and doesn't feel like a squishy mess when I reheat it at work for lunch the next day.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

novamute posted:

Looks like I'm going to end up using it tomorrow instead of tonight so I went ahead with the Salmon Mi-Cuit recipe from Chefsteps.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Did BSCB with salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, olive oil, and some lemon slices at 145 for a few hours. It was excellent, served with a melted leek and pea risotto (pressure cooker risotto is now on the weekly rotation at the Mango household).

Yay for sous vide!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

CrazySalamander posted:

This is alarming. How do you know how much longer to cook it for?

Pasteurisation takes twice as long, roughly speaking, according to Baldwin.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
:argh:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Beef

Why the hell is that way underneath the table, and not up above it in bolded letters? I've used that table at least a dozen times. Couldn't he have at least bothered with an asterisk on "pasteurization times" and another on that rather important tidbit!?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What is the advantage in cooking a whole chicken(or meat in general) part and then slicing it afterward? For example in that chicken salad.
It feels like with sv you should be able to cut the stuff beforehand without losing anything and making it cook faster.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tonberrytoby posted:

What is the advantage in cooking a whole chicken(or meat in general) part and then slicing it afterward? For example in that chicken salad.
It feels like with sv you should be able to cut the stuff beforehand without losing anything and making it cook faster.

Whether you cut it beforehand or not, the surface-area-to-volume ratio isn't going to be much different once you put it in a bag and suck the air out of it. Instead of a homogenous lump of chicken you'd have a homogeneous lump of chicken with some knife cuts through it, the heat's still only diffusing through the outside of the bag into the exterior of the lump. The intralump cuts aren't going to speed that.

Also, I don't know about you, but I find getting chicken meat off the bone a heck of a lot easier once the chicken is cooked.

Also also, from the article: "However, the chicken cooked with skin and bones was more flavorful."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you cut it into medallions and place them flat, you could change the calculus a bit, but only the get-to-temp time, not hold-at time.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
If you're doing it in a vacuum bag rather than ziploc, whole pieces hold shape better than medallions or chunks. You could absolutely slice up the chicken first, but you minimize those little corners meat can get and also get much neater slices if you put the chicken in as whole as possible and slice after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If you chop them up then they don't look like meatfish when you put them in the circulator though.